Is the Thor superman fight from Jla avengers canon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Superman won the fight but a common rule of thumb is that crossovers are non canon,,Can you please help me clear up a problem I'm having,,,I heard that marvel no longer considers Jla avengers canon,,is this true? I know the cosmic egg thing in dcu makes it canon in DC comics but is it canon in marvel?

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I never thought it was canon to begin with. Most crossovers aren't canon so it shouldn't count.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane_of_sith: It was for DC at least, but more than likely isn't anymore with the whole new 52 thing.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm being told the opposite,,I just need something concrete to prove its not canon in marvel

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a battle.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm being told the opposite,,I just need something concrete to prove its not canon in marvel

That whole series (if I'm thinking of the right one) was completely non-canon. I think all of those fights were won based on popularity votes IIRC, there was no thought into power levels or abilities at all really. Wolverine beat Lobo, Superman stopped Juggernaut, but was smacked around by Venom, Storm stomped Wonder Woman, etc. etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay said:

@bane_of_sith said:

That whole series (if I'm thinking of the right one) was completely non-canon. I think all of those fights were won based on popularity votes IIRC, there was no thought into power levels or abilities at all really. Wolverine beat Lobo, Superman stopped Juggernaut, but was smacked around by Venom, Storm stomped Wonder Woman, etc. etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Your thinking of the marvel/DC one. JLA avengers is another one. All though I always thought both were non canon so the fight between thor and superman shouldn't be taken to seriously.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think your thinking of DC vs. marvel. Jla avengers was different,,it's supposedly the only canon crossover but I've never heard it to be canon in marvel

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pooty

@bane_of_sith: @thegodofthunder: @norrinboltagonprime21: It IS canon for both universes. Both companies have mentioned items that were from the other company. In DC they mention the Cosmic egg and a few other things. Also, Photon/Pulsar official bio mentions her being able to absorb Green Lantern energy. So it is canon according to the companies but crossovers hold little weight on comicvine debates.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

They intended for it to be a canon crossover, however the DC vs Marvel series wasn't. But IIRC after everyone got mad that Superman beat up Thor Marvel decided it wasn't cannon.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay: Marvel vs DC was the popularity contest. JLA/Avengers was canon for DC (Pre-52) and quasi-canon for Marvel because it is stated on handbooks but nowhere else.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: Wait, seriously. I heard it was mentioned in the handbooks before. Do you know which specific handbook, or if its on their site or whatever?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: Wait, seriously. I heard it was mentioned in the handbooks before. Do you know which specific handbook, or if its on their site or whatever?

No not really. all i got is this. start reading mid way in the first paragraph. it talks about green lantern(sort of) :

No Caption Provided

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

All New Official Handbook of the Marvel A-Z 2006 is the only handbook where the events of JLAvengers have been mention that i know of, surprisingly enough there is no mention of the same even after in any other handbook in marvel, at least none that i have found.

Apart from the scan Pooty posted, the most vivid description of the whole JLAvengers was seen in Grandmaster bio which details the whole event, but never uses the word Krona but rather the term "a crazed scholar". Here is the scan if you are interested:

No Caption Provided

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: "...such as when she replicated and drained the verdiant(?) will-powered energies of an extra dimensional emerald gladiator..."

@killemall:

Interesting. So it appears Marvel did at one point acknowledge the story as canon, but may no longer do so.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: "...such as when she replicated and drained the verdiant(?)."

verdant means green

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: Damn. Should have known that. Especially since verde means green in Spanish.

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CharlieJade

maybe not, Kurt is a huge, huge name in comics. He could have been a massive name today, influencing the box office movies like Joss and JMS but he didn't really take that final step. Kurt Busiek was one of the big guys in the 90s. Jim Lee and McFarlane and a lot of other writers left the mainstream and started work on independent comics. Kurt Busiek, stayed, he had a huge encyclopedic knowledge of comic books and his name was soon next to Roger Stern, Giaman, John Byrne, Stan Lee, Morrison, Alan Moore.....Marvel was to find itself almost bankrupt during the 90s

Lee and Lifefeld and others came in and relaunched a new Marvel universe, it was nu52-ish and it lasted a while

...then it collapsed again

Busiek was back in to save Marvel and the Avengers

However in all this time Busiek could never write a great Thor, he kind of got him, but he never wrote a classic story like Simonson or Kirby or JMS....Busiek never understood Thor

On Thor's power set Kurt often said Thor was not bullet proof and had durability like Wonder Woman, Thor needed to block bullets with his hammer because bullets can possibly kill him. Busiek even went online and quoted about dozen or so comics that support his researches on this.

He event debated with Marvel readers online

Of course many then came along and showed scans of Thor surviving all kinds of attacks, fanboys counter argument on Busiek

it lead to heated exchanges and Busiek calling his critics "angry Thor fanatics"

1 Avengers readers are probably never going to truly accept it as canon

2 Crossovers are non canon by default

3 Busiek writes Avengers characters very well but seems to have a poor understanding of Thor's mythology and power level

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@floopay: Marvel vs DC was the popularity contest. JLA/Avengers was canon for DC (Pre-52) and quasi-canon for Marvel because it is stated on handbooks but nowhere else.

Ah, I've only read the one. After that I decided crossovers were garbage.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VeganDiet

@floopay said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Ah, I've only read the one. After that I decided crossovers were garbage.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Well, you should read the JLA/Avengers one. It's fairly good.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel vs. DC ruined crossovers, which is a pity, some of them are pretty good.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet: It's not very good to be honest, it rushes the two into a meaningless fight with very little plot connectors and absolutely no depth to it.

GhostRider29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: not trying to sound mean but you do realize that comment was two years ago? Lol

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By conner_wolf

@ghostrider29: Yeah, I looked and checked after I'd already posted my comment, I was going through Google and found this thread, read through it, posted a comment without thinking how old it was.

GhostRider29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GhostRider29
notaidiotidoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By notaidiotidoit

no

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane_of_sith: It IS canon for DC. The crossover was mentioned by Robin once when he referenced having met the Punisher, and fought Jigsaw. No such similar reference has ever been made in a Marvel comic.

Furthermore, I've tried to contact Marvel's editorial staff three times and have received NO reply at all on the subject.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TifaLockhart

It used to be.

Avatar image for judgment_dragon
Judgment_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman won the fight but a common rule of thumb is that crossovers are non canon,,Can you please help me clear up a problem I'm having,,,I heard that marvel no longer considers Jla avengers canon,,is this true? I know the cosmic egg thing in dcu makes it canon in DC comics but is it canon in marvel?

Yes, is canon on both side as Disassemble issues and House of Mutant follow up to that encounter in where Scarlet took too much power. Also Superman says he barely won against him and Thor says he had some surprise for Superman next time they fight, leaving two thing as conclusion, Thor didn't went all out (which is kinda true, the planet didn't blow up when he hit the ground though you could argue it being WIS, Thor didn't summon his lightning, etc, and leaving the fight inconclusive bc Superman didn't use the full might of his capabilities as he hadn't learn everything up to that moment). With the many temporal assault is the fans that don't accept it as canon (for some reason), and with the New 52 happening it doesn't matter to DC anymore.

Amu0003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Amu0003

It can be considered canon as justice league and avangers already have their personal experiences with alternate realities.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon or not canon I don't know but now I know supes is stronger than thor.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

It's non-canon.I think Thor would beat Superman.