jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jasraj

well i guess you could call this a battle 

i was just on the DC database and it says super intellect is one of supermans superpowers, so that means superman is far superior to humans in brains 

so is he smarter than batman? what do you think?
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By lagoon_boy
Nope.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aiden Cross

Depends on how he's written. But yes, by all logic he should be smarter because he can think and learn at an accelarated speed. You could argue that Batman has a more tactical and cunning mind though.

jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jasraj
@lagoon_boy:
ive always known batman was one of the smartest superheroes in the DC universe 

but how is he not if he possess super intellect?
TonyMack510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TonyMack510

From what i know Superman has a Genius Level Intellect, for some odd reason in the animated series they don't really show much of Superman's Intelligence lol. But as far as the Comics Superman is smarter then a Super Computer.

jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasraj
@TonyMack510:
ahh, cool, it was just quite interesting to ask for me.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Methos

He could be...... i think is the best answer you're going to get... 

Superman / Kryptonians are a couple of levels above humans in brain power / intelligence... they're about a fourth or fifth level intellect i think... however, Superman was raised on earth and schooled here, so his intelligence level was stunted by schooling and learning from human schools / colleges. 

He has the potential to be 4th / 5th level intellect, but currently only has the intelligence of a human... 

M

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lagoon_boy
@jasraj:  Batman is a master tactician, if where talking about who is a smarter tactician; than Batman should defeat Clark. But in general intelligence, Clark might be smarter.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Methos

it's a bit like taking a human from today, and sending them to schools from 500 years ago... 

they have the potential to know about electricity, to know quantum theory and relativity... but the schools back then had no concept of these ideas, so while the brain could be an intellect far superior to all those around it, it's stuck learning and knowing only what it was taught in the schools around it 

Genetically his brain is still more advanced though, so it's possible he processes information a lot faster and can make 'intuitive' leaps with the information in his brain that others can't... at best i'd put him at lowest genius level... 

If you're looking to really explore this idea, then i'd recommend reading Superman: Red Son where his intelligence is actually explored as one of the main plotlines of the book... going so far as to show him playing chess regularly against Brainiac and Lex Luthor... though this book puts Lex Luthor as the smartest man on the planet... so...

M

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Super intelect is a stoopid power. I'm gonna ignore it. I've never seen him use it anyway.

jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasraj
@Methos:
cheers, you explained it the best 

but all answers were great 

thanks
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Methos
@jasraj said:

" @Methos: cheers, you explained it the best  but all answers were great  thanks "

Glad i could help... 

@Gylan Thomas said: 

" Super intelect is a stoopid power. I'm gonna ignore it. I've never seen him use it anyway. "

Hulk getting his powers from Gamma radiation is "stoopid"... i'm gonna ignore than from now on :p 

M    
AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AMS

People whine and moan he is too powerful already today, which is ironic considering the silver age but yeah he is dumbed down on purpose and 'super intellect'  is brushed quietly under the carpet to  save everyone from the fans to the writers etc. etc. a giant headace.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom

Superman is smarter than Batman in the same way a computer is smarter than a human. Can he calculate PI to the twelfth decimal? Yes. Can he predict all the ways in which Lex Luthor is prepared to kill him? Not so much.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Methos said:
" @jasraj said:

" @Methos: cheers, you explained it the best  but all answers were great  thanks "

Glad i could help... 

@Gylan Thomas said: 

" Super intelect is a stoopid power. I'm gonna ignore it. I've never seen him use it anyway. "

Hulk getting his powers from Gamma radiation is "stoopid"... i'm gonna ignore than from now on :p  M     "
The Gamma radiation was just a means to an end. A way for Stan Lee to create the HULK. 
I realise the science of comics is pretty ridiculous but I don't ever want to read a Superman story where he solves something with super thinking. Thinking yes but not superthinking. Why not bring back amnesia inducing kisses like in Superman two? Supes has had some wacky powers over the years. I just don't see "super intelect" working in a story.  It's come off as ridiculous.
ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThanosIsMad

With his super speed, Superman has the potential to be smarter than Batman since he could just speed read everything in sight.  I'm glad they don't follow up on that, especially with characters like the Flash, who don't retain anything they learn at super speed for long.  Maybe Superman operates the same way.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By buttersdaman000

how is it stupid that superman has super intellect? thanks to the sun virtually everything about him is enhanced so why cant his brain power be? I think AtPhantom and Methos explained it best. Superman is like a super computer compared to other humans where he can solve equations, process information, and read much quicker than normal humans but his logical mind, critical thinking, tactical thinking and so on are at a regular human level because of how he was raised.

mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mv

I dont know but he sure aint stupid

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssejllenrad

Superman has higher IQ but he's got lesser street smarts than the goddamn Batman!

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mortein

maybe super intellect just means his brain runs much faster.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Erik

Superman is smarter in the broadest sense of the word. Batman has more of a focused intellect. Superman has even stated he has thought of ways to improve Batman's tech before just by looking at it. 

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Maybe he thinks faster, but he uses his knowledge to a lesser extent than Batman. Maybe Batman utilizes his knowledge in a smarter or better way than Superman. They think differently, so Superman might be able to think faster, Batman just thinks better. Maybe.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely not.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos best described it

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

Superman is smarter in the broadest sense of the word. Batman has more of a focused intellect. Superman has even stated he has thought of ways to improve Batman's tech before just by looking at it.

This.

Batman excels in deductive reasoning and strategy. Superman excels in raw intelligence (and application of knowledge), but rarely uses it (there is probably a contradiction in there). I'm under the impression that Superman has some sort of understanding of all the tech he keeps in the fortress. Lets not forget, DC has Batman rely on Fox more as well so it is hard to tell what comes from the Bat himself these days. I will also point out that Superman might have help from his dad's crystals for some stuff.

One thing I'm certain of, is Superman does not have his intelligence exploited enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasraj:

In my opinion Superman is what you could call book smart, while Batman is street smart.

Superman would read a book on Krav Maga, but Batman would go take a class.

So yes and no.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JohnnyZ256

This is not a battle. A legitimate battle between these two would produce an easy win for Superman, unless Batman had sufficient prep time.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Marshall_Long

Probably All-Star Superman though I hated All-Star Superman .

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's smart enough not to fuck with batman

Cardle_grave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cardle_grave

Pre crisis is i believe

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AngryHulks

Superman can think faster and have better memory than Batman (he have photographic memory), his scientific knowledge is great enough to let him use his power in creative ways also. I'll put up scans of some feats that he apply scientific knowledge.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again people are confusing knowledge with intelligence. Knowledge is just one part of intelligence.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no

Whenever Superman is around Batman he is less intelligent than when he is in his own book. In his own series he works with advanced tech, formulates plans to take down things that can't be beaten by physical might often utilizing advanced comic jargon regarding fictional super chemistry or multi-dimensional whatevers, even Luther admires his intellect and it's saved him from the man on multiple occasions.

The competence of other Leaguers looks pretty bad around Batman so he looks tactfully gifted but I understand that it's impossible for a writer to write a brilliant scenario every time Batman has to come up with a plan, so when Batman says they should sneak in the back just pretend it was something a lot better.

ShiZZmAhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As drgnx stated, in raw intelligence, yes.

No Caption Provided

MirrorWave4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MirrorWave4

@Methos

- Your comment above is QFT

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is able to think and process information much faster than Batman, thus his potential is much higher, however Batman is still more intelligent in the sense that the amount of information he knows (and possibly what he can commit to memory) is much greater than Supes, and as mentioned he is a far better tactician (likely because he is simply a more creative thinker)

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The are about the same.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alexander505

No

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MonsterStomp

Superman is able to think and process information much faster than Batman, thus his potential is much higher, however Batman is still more intelligent in the sense that the amount of information he knows (and possibly what he can commit to memory) is much greater than Supes, and as mentioned he is a far better tactician (likely because he is simply a more creative thinker)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence has been defined in many different ways including, but not limited to;

1. abstract thought,
  2. understanding,
  3. self-awareness,
  4. communication,
  5. reasoning,
  6. learning,
  7. having emotional knowledge,
  8. retaining,
  9. planning,
  10. problem solving.

I would give Batman; 1, 2 (ill-defined*), 5 (ill-defined*), 7, 9, 10 (ill-defined*)

I would give Superman; 2 (well-defined*), 3, 4, 5 (well-defined*), 6, 8, 10 (well-defined*)

* Ill-defined problems are those that do not have clear goals or solution paths, while well-defined problems have specific goals and clearly defined solution paths

• This makes sense as Batman fairs better with abstract thought allowing him to better fill in gaps. Superman can process raw data faster and has great retention so can quickly process the raw data via problem solving; mainly by substituting known variables of equations, etc, to get the right answer.

I gave Superman 3 (Self awareness) because of the definition:

• Self-awareness is the capacity for introspection and the ability to reconcile oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals.
  • Introspection is examination of one's own consciousthoughts and feelings.[1] In psychology the process of introspection relies exclusively on observation of one's mental state, while in a spiritual context it may refer to the examination of one's soul. Introspection is closely related to human self-reflection and is contrasted with external observation.
  • I think Superman is much more self conscious and able to separate himself from his villains and alter-ego where as Batman seems to need them (his villains and Gotham's darkness - like in the movie he seemed miserable without crime to fight and never moved on - except the end[?]).

Giving Superman 6 (learning)

Superman's ability to learn and apply existing knowledge surpasses Batman's mainly in terms of speed and capacity, and because this seems more defined by the processing and the application of well defined concepts, equations, and knowledge where Superman has the advantage because of his Kryptonian brain.

BTW, I'm not counting these as points because I don't think these aspects have equal weighting nor that they are the only measures. So even though I gave more to Superman, it does not mean I think he has more intelligence overall. I'm just trying to show where they seem to excel.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx said:

Intelligence has been defined in many different ways including, but not limited to;

1. abstract thought,
  2. understanding,
  3. self-awareness,
  4. communication,
  5. reasoning,
  6. learning,
  8. retaining,
  9. planning,
  10. problem solving.

I would give Batman; 1, 2 (ill-defined*), 5, 7, 9, 10 (ill-defined*)

I would give Superman; 2 (well-defined*), 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 (well-defined*)

* Ill-defined problems are those that do not have clear goals or solution paths, while well-defined problems have specific goals and clearly defined solution paths

• This makes sense as Batman fairs better with abstract thought allowing him to better fill in caps. Superman can process raw data faster and has great retention so can quickly process the raw data via problem solving; mainly by substituting known variables of equations, etc, to get the right answer.

• Self-awareness is the capacity for introspection and the ability to reconcile oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals.
  • Introspection is examination of one's own consciousthoughts and feelings.[1] In psychology the process of introspection relies exclusively on observation of one's mental state, while in a spiritual context it may refer to the examination of one's soul. Introspection is closely related to human self-reflection and is contrasted with external observation.
  • I think Superman is much more self conscious and able to separate himself from his villains and alter-ego were as Batman seems to need them (his villains and Gotham's darkness - like in the movie he seemed miserable without crime to fight and never moved on - except the end[?]).

Superman's ability to learn and apply existing knowledge surpasses Batman's mainly in terms of speed and capacity, and because this seems more defined by the processing and the application of well defined concepts, equations, and knowledge where Superman has the advantage because of his Kryptonian brain.

BTW, I'm not counting these as points because I don't think these aspects have equal weighting nor that they are the only measures. So even though I have more to Superman it does not mean I think he has more intelligence overall. I'm just trying to show where they seem to excel.

You deserve an award! I learnt something today...

No Caption Provided

GOOd JOB!

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiden_cross: no that means he has a higher compasity to learn but he has not taken advantage of it.

there was a 16 year old girl who was given an IQ test and her IQ was higher than hawking"s but she isn't smarter because she has not taken advantage of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx said:

1. abstract thought,
  2. understanding,
  3. self-awareness,
  4. communication,
  5. reasoning,
  6. learning,
  8. retaining,
  9. planning,
  10. problem solving.

I would give Batman; 1, 2 (ill-defined*), 5, 7, 9, 10 (ill-defined*)

I would give Superman; 2 (well-defined*), 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 (well-defined*)

• This makes sense as Batman fairs better with abstract thought allowing him to better fill in caps. Superman can process raw data faster and has great retention so can quickly process the raw data via problem solving; mainly by substituting known variables of equations, etc, to get the right answer.

• I think Superman is much more self conscious and able to separate himself from his villains and alter-ego were as Batman seems to need them (his villains and Gotham's darkness - like in the movie he seemed miserable without crime to fight and never moved on - except the end[?]).

BTW, I'm not counting these as points because I don't think these aspects have equal weighting nor that they are the only measures. So even though I have more to Superman it does not mean I think he has more intelligence overall. I'm just trying to show where they seem to excel.

This is a much more detailed and precise analysis of what I was trying to say. QFE.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to look at it this way..... Supermans mind moves as fast as he does. If it was otherwise how could he move at the speeds he does and not be able to perceive his surroundings... it's kind of like the reason Flash has hyper-intellect. To be able to function at such high speeds for a lengthy amount of time you kind of have to. Even if you bring some kind of time dilation effect due to approaching light speed, Batman has no such effect. Even if Superman's brain isn't defacto faster than everyone else's it seems like it because to him the rest of reality is moving at a snails pace. Kind of depends on what's ment by "smarter". Just because a processor moves really fast, if the operating system sucks all that processing power amounts to jack.

momo111191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By momo111191

he's smart enough not to fuck with batman

rofl but ya superman is theoretically one of the smartest characters in the DCU his super abilities don't stop with physical. its just how he is written and it is really only brought out when it is most covenant for the story.

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a way bat,an makes himself smarter using intelligence, like someone says he utilizes his smarts in different ways. But I say superman is other than that

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Equonox

I like to look at it this way..... Supermans mind moves as fast as he does. If it was otherwise how could he move at the speeds he does and not be able to perceive his surroundings... it's kind of like the reason Flash has hyper-intellect. To be able to function at such high speeds for a lengthy amount of time you kind of have to. Even if you bring some kind of time dilation effect due to approaching light speed, Batman has no such effect. Even if Superman's brain isn't defacto faster than everyone else's it seems like it because to him the rest of reality is moving at a snails pace. Kind of depends on what's ment by "smarter". Just because a processor moves really fast, if the operating system sucks all that processing power amounts to jack.

Apt analogy.