Anthony Edward Stark, AKA Iron Man

No Caption Provided

vs.

The Legendary Tarrasque

No Caption Provided

--------------------

- In character.

- Bleeding Edge Iron Man.

- Tony is in Stark Tower when he hears the Tarrasque has struck. He can choose to prep if he wants to -- however, the more time he spends, the more people die. The beast is loose in New York City and nothing can stop it.

- All other Avengers are busy elsewhere -- it's just Tony.

- The Tarrasque has just awoken from a particularly long sleep -- he is hungry and he wants to eat EVERYTHING... especially the shiny metal man.

----------------------

For more of my battles, click here!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

Bump!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RisingBean

Terrasque. Unless Strange owes Tony a favor and can cast wish. And uh Thor owes Tony a favor and knocks the Terrasque down to the point of death so Strange can cast Wish to keep it dead. And Uh, assuming they know this.

Given your setup. Tony loses.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joygirl

@risingbean: Crap, I forgot the Wish bit -- assume that just getting it to -30 is enough to "keep it down" or "knock it out" and thus win.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@joygirl:

Unless Tony knows an Elder Gold Dragon who owes him a favor, he might be a tad outclassed.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joygirl

@granitesoldier: I'm having an impossibility with Tarrasque battles. XD If I try higher-tier characters they are invariably too powerful.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@joygirl:

Tarrasque is really hard to balance vs comics yeah. Mostly because Comics go from street level to "I break reality" and there isn't often a whole lot in between. I wonder how Ms. Marvel would fare against him...

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Well her blasts would just bounce off. So it'd be a slugfest that I doubt she'd win.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@joygirl:

Well she's in the 75-100 ton range pre-Binary, she could potentially BFR? Can't recall how much he weighs. But yeah she'd likely lose the slugfest. Again, Gold Dragon for the win!

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

could go either way

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: I measured Tarrasque's strength once, he is a 150-tonner.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl:

Yeah, Carol's outclassed I suppose. THEORETICALLY a team of 7-8 high end street levelers should be able to do something. His CR was 26 or 27 if I remember correctly, meaning a party of 4 characters at that level should have significant trouble with but theoretically could beat him.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: 21 I think, though as I explained in another thread, 20th level D&D characters are ANYTHING but street level. Mages are flat out reality warpers, rogues can one-shot anything that has veins, and warriors can tank things like falling thousands of feet to their doom

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl:

I was always a Ranger and Monk fan myself, but yes I see your point (never played that high up, the more powerful I got the more bored I got). So, a couple of mid-tiers perhaps?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RisingBean

@joygirl: @granitesoldier: Wow. Busy kids. I need to note currently playing Rise of the Runelords. Archer. Great time.

With that said, even without wish killing regen, I see it outclassing Tony.

A few characters I think could beat it would be

Thor

Superman

Hulk

Green Lantern

Strange.

They could bfr it and without it's regen I think they may be able to smash it.

Edit: Post got eaten, retyped it more or less.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joygirl

@risingbean: That's the thing though, those characters would STOMP it. I want a battle that's actually close. :(

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RisingBean

@joygirl: I don't see a stomp. If you keep the Wish halting regen not a one of them can put it down except possibly Strange. The rest have an epic battle where they lose or put the big baddie on a one way train ride to the dark tapestry.

Kainboa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massive stomp for Iron-man.

The Tarrasque might be immune to most ranged attacks, it can still be immobilized however.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kainboa: Care to explain how the Terrasque can be immobilized?

Kainboa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kainboa

@risingbean: Forcefields, or enough materials piled on top of it.

While it is rather terrifying in D&D, in Marvel it's not all that impressive, It's a large dumb creature, with a high durability, and a special defence against ranged attacks.

Iron-man calls it Tuesday.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kainboa: I think that piling up materials on top of it won't work. Doing the math on a STR 41 colossal creature*, I come up with a max 353,280 lbs** it can lift. I assume it isn't quadriped.So yeah. If they do somehow lure it into an area where it is in a force field we come to a question. Will the energy deflect off of the Tarrasque's carapace like rays and such do. If so then the field is useless.

But lets pretend it does hold it. What happens if power loss occurs? Even if Tony can lure it and it can be held, which is speculative, then he still loses in the long run because you know it will escape and we'll be at stage one all over again.

As far as it not being impressive, I would say you are wrong. Godzilla in Marvel was smacking around A-listers. This is a colossal beast that you have to drop to death and then cast one of the highest level spells in creation to keep dead (Wish or Miracle.) Lest it rise from the dead a minute or two later. Tony's only chance is to lure it into a trap and BFR it. Preferably to another planet because he'll escape sooner or later if left on Earth.

If Tony was smart, he'd call it Thursday, I.E. calling on Thor to actually have a chance. Too bad Joy won't allow for it.

*I used the Pathfinder Beastiary. D&D has it listed as a STR 45. However Pathfinder has it so there is no way known to drop the Tarrasque.

**I wasn't sure if it is a quadriped. I decided to error on the low end. If it is it can actually lift a max of 8,478,720

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tarrasque is immune to non-magical, non epic weapons along with having regen that would make Wolvie bluff, his shell can deflect all rays and it has massive energy resistance and magical resistance. Tony can't even hurt it in a meaningfull way.

Kainboa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kainboa

@risingbean: I think that piling up materials on top of it won't work.

It's just a matter of piling enough materials on top of it, since we do have an actual strength number for the Tarrasque, we can determine exactly how much would materiel Iron-man would need to render it immobile.

Doing the math on a STR 41 colossal creature*, I come up with a max 353,280 lbs** it can lift.

I've also taken the liberty of doing the math, and my figures doesn't add up with yours, which means that there's an error somewhere.

Max load for a Str 41 bipedal, is 7360 Lbs, multiplied by 16 to get the figure for a Colossal creature equals 117,760 Lbs, further multiplied by 24 to get the figure for a Quadruped equals 2,826,240 Lbs.

So, we have a definitive figure for exactly how much material, Iron-man would need to pile on top of it, to render it immobile, thus showing that while it's problematic it is possible.

If they do somehow lure it into an area where it is in a force field we come to a question. Will the energy deflect off of the Tarrasque's carapace like rays and such do. If so then the field is useless.

A forcefield isn't a ray that is being fired on the Tarrasque, it is a wall of energy, somewhat similar to the Wall of Force spell, thus rendering that particular avenue of discussion useless.

But lets pretend it does hold it. What happens if power loss occurs?

During the time where the Tarrasque has been successfully immobilised by the forcefield, Iron-man could come up with alternative methods of dealing with it, as well as deploying backup generators to power the forcefield emitters, since now he won't have to worry about civilian casualties. However if/when power loss occurs, it would be a relatively simple affair to hook the forcefield projectors to the reactor in his suit, thus capturing the Tarrasque again.

Even if Tony can lure it and it can be held, which is speculative

Not really, forcefields aren't covered by the defences of the Tarrasque, making it the most likely way of dealing with it, and a relatively easy way to do it as well, simply project a forcefield bubble around it, and it's captured.

he still loses in the long run because you know it will escape and we'll be at stage one all over again.

No, I don't know that it will escape, I'm actually fairly sure that the various generators which Iron-man has in his possession, would be more than sufficient to power a forcefield bubble around the Tarrasque, ensuring that it won't do any further harm.

This is a colossal beast that you have to drop to death and then cast one of the highest level spells in creation to keep dead (Wish or Miracle.) Lest it rise from the dead a minute or two later.

Yes, this is how you need to deal with it in D&D, however in the Marvel universe, there are several other ways of dealing with it, such as simply capturing it.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RisingBean

@joygirl: First off, you have me wanting to playtest a terraque vs D20 modern (Blood and Vigilance based) based Avengers team. Thanks for that.

@kainboa: The problem with piling up materials is that the Terrasque is moving, can jump around and can burrow if we are being logical. it moves earth out of it's way a clawful at a time.

My math for the Tarrasque.

Colossal Quadriped with STR 41. Ok.

First I entered Tremendous STR. Find the same last digit in the 20's (21=460 lbs) So we come up 3680.

Then I added for it's size. So 3680X16=58,880.

Then I added for it being Quadriped so 58,880X24=1,413,120

Then remember you can double your max load. 1,413,120 X 2 =2,826,240

Hm. Is my math off? I am not sure where I made my mistake. Damn you public schooling!

At any rate lets run with your math because I am either forgetting something it gets or I did mess up.

As per the force field acting like a wall of force, WoF is a magical effect. So there may be limitations to a force field. How often have you seen force fields go down to being overloaded? Guys like the Hulk and such do that often enough. Even if Tony has one lying around who is to say that it is a cube (otherwise the beast goes through the ground) and that it can hold the terrasque?

As per hooking up a forcefield in his suit? I think his mass vs that of the Terrasque would not work out for him. It's like a lil kid wrapping around an adults leg trying to keep them from going someplace. The adult can just move, taking the kid with him if he so chooses. Unless this bubble negates gravity too. And if Tony has this why isn't the Hulk, Juggernaut and the rest being taken down effortlessly? I.E. is this a speculative feature or do you have a reference to this working in the canon someplace?

In the Marvel U, I would think BFR would be the best bet. I just don't know that I have seen Tony just force field an opponent away easy peasy. If I am mistaken (and I could be, I don't follow Iron Man religiously) feel free to let me know.

Kainboa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Since we have a definitive number for how much the Tarrasque can lift, we know exactly how much it would take to immobilize it.

While it is a rather large amount of material, it is also a finite amount of materiel, making it a possibility.

Regarding the forcefield, he's got one as a standard feature in his suit.

Making it surround the Tarrasque, rather than himself, would be a matter of simply recalibrating it.

As for the gravity negating, I'm not sure whether it's a standard feature, but he has in the past shown said capability, so if he doesn't have it in the suit, it's just a matter of fetching it from his armoury.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RisingBean

@kainboa: In the case of the force field there is more of a chance for Stark. This assumes things go to plan, but I'll concede it can be done.

As per being buried, I still think that simply by moving/burowing, that the Terrasque can displace enough material to make it out. This is assuming you can get it there to begin with.

At any rate lots of folks die waiting on Stark if he has to hit the armory and grab stuff or recalibrate to be sure the field can't be overwhelmed.