Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SunDeep
No Caption Provided
VS
No Caption Provided

So, in a battle between these two genius comic book characters, who wins? Three rounds- R1, in a melee battle without access to any of their tech; R2, in a spur-of-the-moment battle with access to their battle gear; and R3, where both competitors receive basic intelligence about their opponents, full access to their respective tech suites and resources, and a full day's prep time prior to the battle.

ironknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony is in his bleeding edge armor right?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cameron83

I would probably say Terrific for Round 1 and Tony for Round 2 and 3

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are some of Mr. Terrific's feats?

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony is in his bleeding edge armor right?

In R2 and R3, yes he is. Technically speaking, it's up for debate whether he would be or not in R1, since the Bleeding Edge Armor is essentially contained inside his own body- but in R1, he won't be allowed to use it regardless.

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr Terrific has several 'feats', due to the nature of his superhuman ability- Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes"; picking up complicated skills extremely quickly and retaining them. In effect, Holt's ability is a slower, milder version of Taskmaster's ability, but without any of the negative side effects or drawbacks. The most relevant feat, in the context of this battle, is that he possesses the most sophisticated stealth tech in the DC universe integrated into his costume, which renders him invisible to any forms of electronic detection whatsoever. During the events of Infinite Crisis, he was the only superhero that the OMAC's couldn't detect. And given that, with the Bleeding Edge Armor, Tony Stark is now effectively a techno-organic synthesis of man and machine at all times, would he even be able to perceive Holt's presence at all, even in R1?

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1 Terrific

Round 2 and 3 Stark stomps

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep said:

@noone301994 said:

Mr Terrific has several 'feats', due to the nature of his superhuman ability- Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes"; picking up complicated skills extremely quickly and retaining them. In effect, Holt's ability is a slower, milder version of Taskmaster's ability, but without any of the negative side effects or drawbacks. The most relevant feat, in the context of this battle, is that he possesses the most sophisticated stealth tech in the DC universe integrated into his costume, which renders him invisible to any forms of electronic detection whatsoever. During the events of Infinite Crisis, he was the only superhero that the OMAC's couldn't detect. And given that, with the Bleeding Edge Armor, Tony Stark is now effectively a techno-organic synthesis of man and machine at all times, would he even be able to perceive Holt's presence at all, even in R1?

Iron Man's sensors probably may not pick him up,but I don't think he needs those to see unless it's hard to see or something. Could be wrong...

So essentially,Mr Terrific's main natural ability (besides being invisible to machines) is learning? Taskmaster's is kinda different, I was confused for a brief second....

bigsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigsam

Tony all rounds. His latest suit isn't even Bleeding Edge btw, for some reason Gillen thought he would downgrade Iron man.

Very stupid. ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep said:

@noone301994 said:

Iron Man's sensors probably may not pick him up,but I don't think he needs those to see unless it's hard to see or something. Could be wrong...

So essentially,Mr Terrific's main natural ability (besides being invisible to machines) is learning? Taskmaster's is kinda different, I was confused for a brief second....

Pretty much. It's not strong enough to enable him to beat people simply by instantly stealing their combat skills sets, but it's enough to give him total mastery of several martial arts and an Olympic Gold Medal in the Decathlon, as well as 14 PHD's, making him Earth-52's 'third smartest man' in official DC canon- the only character of note whose intelligence officially surpasses his own is Lex Luthor (no-one knows who the official 2nd smartest person in the DC Universe is). For comparison, isn't Tony Stark officially only Marvel Earth's fifth smartest man? So we shouldn't discount Holt's capability to put that prep to good use in R3, and give Stark a run for his money.

And when Iron Man's armored up, every bit of sensory information from outside is relayed through the suit, and through the suit's sensors. After all, if it wasn't, wouldn't he be vulnerable to being permanently blinded by adversaries like the Living Laser, or permanently deafened by sonic attacks? Of course, even if Holt's tech does indeed render him completely invisible to Stark, leaving him free to carry out a sneak attack while Stark blasts away at shadows, he'll still need to actually knock out the Iron Man suit to win rather than merely pulling off a stalemate, and that's no easy task. But his 'T-Spheres' do carry enough explosive force to injure hard-hitters such as Captain Marvel, so you'd think that they'd be capable of doing more than just scratching the Bleeding Edge Armor's paint job. What do you think?

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsam said:

Tony all rounds. His latest suit isn't even Bleeding Edge btw, for some reason Gillen thought he would downgrade Iron man.

Very stupid. ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

So, how would Tony go about winning R1? I didn't think he was as proficient as that in H2H combat...

bigsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigsam

@sundeep: He may not be very proficient in H2H, but his super-speed will give him the edge in close-quarters. He blitzed Crimson Dynamo and defeated him in milliseconds, I think he would do the same here, and all it really takes is one punch.

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsam said:

@sundeep: He may not be very proficient in H2H, but his super-speed will give him the edge in close-quarters. He blitzed Crimson Dynamo and defeated him in milliseconds, I think he would do the same here, and all it really takes is one punch.

Super speed? You do realise that they don't have access to any tech in R1- Tony's fighting hand-to-hand, without his armor or technological enhancements (barring the digital software which he now relies upon to survive, and uses to carry out all of his biological function. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a R1- Holt would win by default, with Tony keeling over and dying of his own accord).

bigsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep: oh my bad, I skimmed through it a bit. Anyways, does Terrific have any decent h2h showings? As for Tony he's alright. On an alien planet he defeated the greatest warriors they had to offer(without his armor), he's been trained by cap, and I remember him fighting other mma fighters in super-powered suits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr terrific

Stark

Stark

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep said:

@cameron83 said:

@sundeep said:

@noone301994 said:

Pretty much. It's not strong enough to enable him to beat people simply by instantly stealing their combat skills sets, but it's enough to give him total mastery of several martial arts and an Olympic Gold Medal in the Decathlon, as well as 14 PHD's, making him Earth-52's 'third smartest man' in official DC canon- the only character of note whose intelligence officially surpasses his own is Lex Luthor (no-one knows who the official 2nd smartest person in the DC Universe is). For comparison, isn't Tony Stark officially only Marvel Earth's fifth smartest man? So we shouldn't discount Holt's capability to put that prep to good use in R3, and give Stark a run for his money.

And when Iron Man's armored up, every bit of sensory information from outside is relayed through the suit, and through the suit's sensors. After all, if it wasn't, wouldn't he be vulnerable to being permanently blinded by adversaries like the Living Laser, or permanently deafened by sonic attacks? Of course, even if Holt's tech does indeed render him completely invisible to Stark, leaving him free to carry out a sneak attack while Stark blasts away at shadows, he'll still need to actually knock out the Iron Man suit to win rather than merely pulling off a stalemate, and that's no easy task. But his 'T-Spheres' do carry enough explosive force to injure hard-hitters such as Captain Marvel, so you'd think that they'd be capable of doing more than just scratching the Bleeding Edge Armor's paint job. What do you think?

Oh,I see. Well to be fair, Holt is gonna have to get past shields,too. And I see it more like an enhancement of Stark's vision. That's like saying Batman can't see Holt through his cowl because of it's enhancements. I mean,the HUD might not spot Holt (or all of the other fancy bells and whistles involved, like Targeting computers or tactical analysis), but I think that he should still be able to spot him with his own sight.

While Holt is definitely an intellectual heavy hitter,I've seen far more impressive things from Stark (he made it rain frogs once,IIRC. He's almost on Reed Richards' level of ridiculous,and even Hank Pym admits that he doesn't really hold a candle to Tony). In this case, Holt could be the 2nd smartest man (I think people believe that to be Batman, but I don't think I've ever seen confirmation of that), but it's about as equivalent as the title of godship in a comic. It's pretty much a title. By the way,DON'T think I'm discrediting Holt's status or accomplishments, I'm just saying that I see Tony winning more times than not,except in h2h where I would probably give Holt the advantage (pretty easily,actually).

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SunDeep

@sundeep said:

@cameron83 said:

@sundeep said:

@noone301994 said:

Oh,I see. Well to be fair, Holt is gonna have to get past shields,too. And I see it more like an enhancement of Stark's vision. That's like saying Batman can't see Holt through his cowl because of it's enhancements. I mean,the HUD might not spot Holt (or all of the other fancy bells and whistles involved, like Targeting computers or tactical analysis), but I think that he should still be able to spot him with his own sight.

While Holt is definitely an intellectual heavy hitter,I've seen far more impressive things from Stark (he made it rain frogs once,IIRC. He's almost on Reed Richards' level of ridiculous,and even Hank Pym admits that he doesn't really hold a candle to Tony). In this case, Holt could be the 2nd smartest man (I think people believe that to be Batman, but I don't think I've ever seen confirmation of that), but it's about as equivalent as the title of godship in a comic. It's pretty much a title. By the way,DON'T think I'm discrediting Holt's status or accomplishments, I'm just saying that I see Tony winning more times than not,except in h2h where I would probably give Holt the advantage (pretty easily,actually).

After Stark was forced to wipe his own brain, all of his biological functions were taken over by digital software routines. Stark relies on his mental tech merely to blink and breathe- that kind of implies that he relies on them to see, hear, feel, smell and taste as well. But yeah, Holt is going to have a hard time getting past those shields- and even if Holt is totally invisible to Stark, he could just go nuts and try to blast every square inch of the battle arena. And BTW, officially (before he was forced to use the digital AI processors to supplant his brain, which boosted his potential intelligence capacity to Ultron levels), Hank Pym was 3rd on the list of Marvel's smartest men, two places above Stark. So he didn't hold a candle to Tony, he technically surpassed him. And if we're going with his boosted current intelligence levels, then he definitely wouldn't be able to sense Holt, because his mind now works in exactly the same way as that of an android.

Putting that aside though, the tech behind the Bleeding Edge Armor and Mr Terrific's costume are actually remarkably similar. Both are created through the use of nanomachine implants- Stark's are stored within his bone marrow, while Holt's are far less bulky, enabling them to be stored subdermally in his skin instead. Both are controlled mentally, through the wearer's thoughts, and that extends to their weapons as well- his swarm of T-Spheres, for instance, can be mentally controlled by Holt even when he's unconscious, and they possess shielding and energy weapons too; obviously not as powerful as Stark's, but still potent enough to argue that they may be relevant over the course of the battle. And in the context of their small size, you could argue that the proportionate concentration of power within the T-Spheres may well be comparable to the power output of the Iron Man suit. In R3, knowing that he'd be coming up against a man in a suit of powered armor, you could easily see Mr. Terrific improvising and fashioning his own similar suit of armor, improvised from the nanotech of his regular costume (Bleeding Edge style) and integrating larger versions of the T-Sphere's weapons and defensive countermeasures.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By beatboks1

Terrific for round 1. Holt is a master of 6 martial arts I believe and an Olympic level athlete so sort of a no boner.

Round 2 I can also see going to Holt. The fact that the main thing about his gear is that he is invisible to all tech sort of makes it hard for Stark to even target him

Round 3 is definitely Stark. With full knowledge and prep he'll work out a way around Holt's invisibility to tech and win.

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R1, Terrific with both arms tied behind is back.

R2, Terrific with extreme difficulty.

R3, Iron Man while actually asleep.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Not exactly the best argument to make. In batman's first encounter with Mr Terrific he actually stated on panel that he was virtually invisible to him. looking at him with just his eyes through his cowls enhancements all he could see with Terrific mere feet away from him was an outline.

As to number 2 brain in DCU no way does that belong to Batman. Brilliant tactician and detective yes but there are plenty of DC brains far greater than his, Guy's like Niles Caulder, chief of Doom Patrol and frankly more like Reed than anything else DC has. I used to find it funny how people would debate or argue over whether DP and X-men were ripoffs of each other back when they started. For my money DP was a LOT more a rip off of Fantastic Four. Look at the teams and power set. Person he can stretch and change size - Mr Fantastic, Elastic girl. Brick in a body that he loathed - Thing, Robotman. Flyer hot head who throws around energy Human Torch, Negative man. person who can put up force field barriers - Invisible woman, Mento. Both teams were lead by a genius who is a master in more scientific fields than you can poke a stick at.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

1. Mr. Terrific
  2. Ironman
  3. Ironman
SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SunDeep

@beatboks1 said:

@cameron83 said:

Not exactly the best argument to make. In batman's first encounter with Mr Terrific he actually stated on panel that he was virtually invisible to him. looking at him with just his eyes through his cowls enhancements all he could see with Terrific mere feet away from him was an outline.

As to number 2 brain in DCU no way does that belong to Batman. Brilliant tactician and detective yes but there are plenty of DC brains far greater than his, Guy's like Niles Caulder, chief of Doom Patrol and frankly more like Reed than anything else DC has. I used to find it funny how people would debate or argue over whether DP and X-men were ripoffs of each other back when they started. For my money DP was a LOT more a rip off of Fantastic Four. Look at the teams and power set. Person he can stretch and change size - Mr Fantastic, Elastic girl. Brick in a body that he loathed - Thing, Robotman. Flyer hot head who throws around energy Human Torch, Negative man. person who can put up force field barriers - Invisible woman, Mento. Both teams were lead by a genius who is a master in more scientific fields than you can poke a stick at.

On that note- Did you see that battle thread which I posted a while back, where the original Frightful Four crash Elastic-Girl and Mento's engagement party instead of Sue and Reed Richard's, and engage the DP in combat instead? Still lying dormant, awaiting its first reply... :(

theDCkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By theDCkid
cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep: @beatboks1: Good points to both of you. Stand by my verdict,though,but I liked Beatboks post the most. Especially because,in my opinion, he points out the other intelligent members of the DCu who can claim spot 2

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep: It doesn't seem like Stark would lose here (except maybe round 1). Even if his scanners couldn't detect Mr. Terrific I don't see how he'd be able to bypass Tony's durability. He's casually tanked hits from Thor without so much as a scratch. If worse came to worse Iron Man could also go invisible or use illusions and then destroy the entire environment.