Iron Fist ( no chi ) Vs Batman ( no gadgets )

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Iron Fist.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Cypher's Gambit: Bad bad bad really bad writing... I see 50/50 here...

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53  Edited By Erik

@Static Shock said:

It's 127 styles, to be exact. It was never stated that Batman mastered that many styles, however. He could just be very skilled at them. Long before the number of style he mastered was even written down, he was stated to be skilled at all forms of martial arts, but a master of none of them (it was pre-crisis). He could quite possibly be a jack of all trades, based on this.

That sounds much more reasonable than what everyone else has been saying. Proficient in 127 styles then? And possibly knowledgeable on most or all?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#54  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I hate the when any comic book character is stated to know all fighting styles known to man, its just ridiculous

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By madrid_san

@spiderbat87: I agree! Someone like Logan who has lived for so long I could believe (but still a stretch since he spends his time doing many things besides learning new fighting styles) but how old is Batman supposed to be? How can he learn all the arts know to man? -__-

Avatar image for czarny_samael666
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By czarny_samael666

Hard one. 

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Static Shock

@Erik: Precisely.

PaperRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By PaperRonin

Iron Fist

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Erik

Based on that knowledge, I have to go with Iron Fist then.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Dex_Starr

Could go either way, I give an incredibly slight edge to Danny though, and it's been stated in the JLA A-Z book that Batman has mastered all styles of combat. I'm pretty sure it states in the handbook that Rand has mastered all styles of martial arts too, I keep hearing that he's been bumped down to a 6 but I'm still looking for that.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HughJass

The DC Comics Encyclopedia says that he mastered every style he learned.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Erik

@HughJass said:

DC Encyclopedia is not canon.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HughJass

@Erik said:

@HughJass said:

All the issues it lists as references in the back are from continuity and it was made by Scott Beatty who works extensively for DC Comics. How is it not genuine?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Static Shock

@HughJass: Because it's been documented in comics that he's skilled in all forms of combat but a master of none. That, in itself, contradicts that encyclopedia, which gets all of its information from comic books.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@HughJass said:

Proof? I don't see how it's any less canon than the Marvel handbooks that everyone is so fond of using. Unless you're talking about a specific edition of an encyclopedia.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Static Shock said:

@HughJass: Because it's been documented in comics that he's skilled in all forms of combat but a master of none. That, in itself, contradicts that encyclopedia, which gets all of its information from comic books.

How long ago was this? Because the instance Hughjass is talking about is from 2005-2006.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Static Shock

@Hohenheim_of_light said:

How long ago was this? Because the instance Hughjass is talking about is from 2005-2006.

I think it was Pre-Crisis, but I don't think Batman was affected by the COIE.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Erik

@Erik said:

@HughJass said:

Proof? I don't see how it's any less canon than the Marvel handbooks that everyone is so fond of using. Unless you're talking about a specific edition of an encyclopedia.

Proof is that it is an assumption of the writer and liberties are taken. If not, I would gladly look up the reference listed for Batman's mastery of all forms of martial arts. Whenever you can provide it.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HughJass

@Static Shock said:

Do you have scans? Because Batman has said he's trained to perfection in all fighting styles, his Secret Files & Origins (which is an actual comic) says he has mastered every form of violent combat to an unheard of degree. And here's a scan where it says he has mastered them all as well.

No Caption Provided
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Erik

@HughJass said:

@Static Shock said:

Do you have scans? Because Batman has said he's trained to perfection in all fighting styles, his Secret Files & Origins (which is an actual comic) says he has mastered every form of violent combat to an unheard of degree. And here's a scan where it says he has mastered them all as well.

No Caption Provided

What issue is that? Because that is looking really Pre-Crisis to me.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Static Shock

@HughJass: Well, no reason to post the scan now.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Static Shock said:

I think it was Pre-Crisis, but I don't think Batman was affected by the COIE.

I believe that Batman pre crisis is Earth one who was different from New Earth Batman, I believe they ended up merging together at one point. I'm not 100% sure though.

Wasn't Year One for DC characters suppose to retcon everything that happened pre crisis?

What about this? From Detective Comics 411 states that he's a master of all fighting arts.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll223/darknight2k/det411.jpg

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HughJass

@Erik: Detective Comics #411.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@Erik said:

@HughJass said:

Proof is that it is an assumption of the writer and liberties are taken. If not, I would gladly look up the reference listed for Batman's mastery of all forms of martial arts. Whenever you can provide it.

That isn't proof, I was asking more for something that states that JLA A to Z isn't canon. If this is the case than alot of the Marvel handbook should be non canon since it isn't directly supported by something stated in the comics.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Erik

@Hohenheim_of_light: @HughJass:

Just as I suspected. Well before Crisis. 1971.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By HughJass

@Erik said:

@Hohenheim_of_light: @HughJass:

Just as I suspected. Well before Crisis. 1971.

Well there's still the other examples I provided.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Static Shock

@Hohenheim_of_light: HughJass just posted that scan. Plus, it's Pre-Crisis, so it's questionable. A lot of characters (like Richard Dragon) weren't affected by it.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Static Shock

@HughJass said:

Examples outside of that Encyclopedia?

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Static Shock said:

@Hohenheim_of_light: HughJass just posted that scan. Plus, it's Pre-Crisis, so it's questionable. A lot of characters (like Richard Dragon) weren't affected by it.

Well if there's a pre crisis instance stating he was highly skilled, and another pre crisis instance stating that he mastered every style, than an actual JLA A-Z [which is essentially DC's OHOTMU] stating that he mastered every style, I'd say that the DC 411 instance is more valid.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Erik

That isn't proof, I was asking more for something that states that JLA A to Z isn't canon. If this is the case than alot of the Marvel handbook should be non canon since it isn't directly supported by something stated in the comics.

It is not canon because it does not take place in the DC universe at all. Handbooks are not solid sources. They are guidelines at best. Wolverine's page in the Marvel handbook states that he will die if he loses organs. That is not at all true. They are good sources for people that are ignorant to a character but they are NOT hard fact.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Erik

@HughJass said:

What other examples?

Well if there's a pre crisis instance stating he was highly skilled, and another pre crisis instance stating that he mastered every style, than an actual JLA A-Z [which is essentially DC's OHOTMU] stating that he mastered every style, I'd say that the DC 411 instance is more valid.

I would not. Considering Batman himself very recently stated otherwise.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Static Shock

@Hohenheim_of_light: Who's Who in the DC Universe is actually closer to the OHOTMU than JLA A-Z is. But, anyway, I don't know.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HughJass

@Static Shock said:

@HughJass said:

Examples outside of that Encyclopedia?

His Secret Files & Origins (which is an actual comic) says he has mastered every form of violent combat to an unheard of degree. Here's two other scans of him explaining his capabilities (which might make it less credible).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

It is not canon because it does not take place in the DC universe at all. Handbooks are not solid sources. They are guidelines at best. Wolverine's page in the Marvel handbook states that he will die if he loses organs. That is not at all true. They are good sources for people that are ignorant to a character but they are NOT hard fact.

If I recall you yourself used Marvel's handbook once to verify Wolverine's mastery of all martial arts style...

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@HughJass said:

What other examples?

I would not. Considering Batman himself very recently stated otherwise.

Can you show this or cite an issue?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Erik

@Erik said:

If I recall you yourself used Marvel's handbook once to verify Wolverine's mastery of all martial arts style...

When?

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@Erik said:

When?

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/wolverine-vs-daredevil-read-op/630102/?page=6

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dex_Starr

@HughJass:I haven't read Secret Origins but the Widening Gyre isn't canon, that manga one probably isn't either.

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HughJass

@HughJass:I haven't read Secret Origins but the Widening Gyre isn't canon, that manga one probably isn't either.

I had a feeling Death Mask wouldn't fly, but how is the Widening Gyre not canon?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Erik

@Hohenheim_of_light:

Batgirl V1 issue 07. Batman's lifetime of accumulated martial arts knowledge encompasses 127 martial arts styles.

As for the Wolverine scan. Well you got me. I was being lazy because I do not feel like going and finding the evidence for you. A handbook that happens to be right on that particular thing is just as good.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Good fight.

More credit should probably go to Batman in a pure martial match-up.

Tough call.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dex_Starr

@HughJass said:

I had a feeling Death Mask wouldn't fly, but how is the Widening Gyre not canon?

I'm not sure but ask entropy aegis since he's the most knowledgable person on Batman.

@Erik said:

@Hohenheim_of_light:

Batgirl V1 issue 07. Batman's lifetime of accumulated martial arts knowledge encompasses 127 martial arts styles.

As for the Wolverine scan. Well you got me. I was being lazy because I do not feel like going and finding the evidence for you. A handbook that happens to be right on that particular thing is just as good.

Are you talking about when he gave Batgirl that disc? He only stated that there was a lifetime worth of knowledge on that disc, not that it's his lifetime of knowledge. In the next scan it states that there are 127 major styles of combat, it sounds like he's saying that there are 127 major styles of combat total, so if he mastered all of those styles that would make him a master of all styles on the planet.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

Well that would be true if there was actual evidence to support this.

MyronLee26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MyronLee26

@JediXMan said:

@Cypher's Gambit said:
@Belphegor said:
Bats beat Slade in an encounter. He curbstomps Iron fist.
With his gadgets on, but not straight H2H
Deathstroke is superhuman.

Deathstroke is enhanced human

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Dex_Starr

@MyronLee26 said:

@JediXMan said:

@Cypher's Gambit said:
@Belphegor said:
Bats beat Slade in an encounter. He curbstomps Iron fist.
With his gadgets on, but not straight H2H
Deathstroke is superhuman.

Deathstroke is enhanced human

His reaction and senses are arguably Superhuman.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Erik

@Erik said:

@Hohenheim_of_light:

Are you talking about when he gave Batgirl that disc? He only stated that there was a lifetime worth of knowledge on that disc, not that it's his lifetime of knowledge. In the next scan it states that there are 127 major styles of combat, it sounds like he's saying that there are 127 major styles of combat total, so if he mastered all of those styles that would make him a master of all styles on the planet.

Right. A lifetime worth of knowledge on that disc. Either his or others. So you are either saying that he knows 127 different fighting styles or you are saying that he has yet to even catch up to that.

MyronLee26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MyronLee26
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Erik

@Erik said:

Well you do not have to believe it if you do not want to. I honestly do not care either way. The evidence exists, but since I do not remember where, I am not going to rummage through thousands of my issues to find it. But you go ahead and go around stating that Wolverine is not. See how much credibility that will gain you.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@Erik said:

Well you do not have to believe it if you do not want to. I honestly do not care either way. The evidence exists, but since I do not remember where, I am not going to rummage through thousands of my issues to find it. But you go ahead and go around stating that Wolverine is not. See how much credibility that will gain you.

Well I have confirmation from Buckshot, one of the most respected people on this site, that he hasn't, and if no one has shown any evidence to say otherwise than the logical conclusion says that he hasn't. I'm not asking you to do anything but you still did use a handbook entry to support a character and are now saying it isn't valid for use of another character, smells like a double standard to me.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Dex_Starr

@Erik said:

@Erik said:

@Hohenheim_of_light:

Right. A lifetime worth of knowledge on that disc. Either his or others. So you are either saying that he knows 127 different fighting styles or you are saying that he has yet to even catch up to that.

A lifetime of knowledge doesn't mean that it's all of Batman's martial arts knowledge on that disc. I'm stating that he said that there are 127 styles of combat total which really has nothing to do with the disc that he gave Batgirl.