#1 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio

are you serious ?lol

#3 Posted by Knightfall (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter should win. Last I heard he has gotten over his weakness to fire, and with his other powers he could take out HT from a long range and never be in danger of being burned.

#4 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
Knightfall said:
"Martian Manhunter should win. Last I heard he has gotten over his weakness to fire, and with his other powers he could take out HT from a long range and never be in danger of being burned."
That was retconed
#5 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian ManHunter.... he can phase through Human Torch even when the latter goes nova on him.

#6 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
IcePrince_X said:
"Martian ManHunter.... he can phase through Human Torch even when the latter goes nova on him."
Even phased fire could kill him
#7 Posted by Knightfall (323 posts) - - Show Bio
Midnightist said:
"Knightfall said:
"Martian Manhunter should win. Last I heard he has gotten over his weakness to fire, and with his other powers he could take out HT from a long range and never be in danger of being burned."
That was retconed
"
He should still win. He could just mind blast him or something. Or just fly by him fast enough it knocks HT out.
#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

all depends on who gets the first hit...

one flame blast from HT could incinerate MM, but one mind blast from MM would turn HT into a drooling vegatable with all the powers of a carrot...

i'd say MM as his reaction speeds are far in advance of anything HT could even dream of

M

#9 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"all depends on who gets the first hit...

one flame blast from HT could incinerate MM, but one mind blast from MM would turn HT into a drooling vegatable with all the powers of a carrot...

i'd say MM as his reaction speeds are far in advance of anything HT could even dream of

M"
Isn't he afraid of fire so wouldn't the sight of it cause him to panic.
#10 Posted by Knightfall (323 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"all depends on who gets the first hit...

M"
What he said
#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
Midnightist said:
Isn't he afraid of fire so wouldn't the sight of it cause him to panic."

he's been shown to face down his fear before, and besides Johnny would start as a normal person, just like MM would start in his normal state...

M
#12 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"Midnightist said:
Isn't he afraid of fire so wouldn't the sight of it cause him to panic."

he's been shown to face down his fear before, and besides Johnny would start as a normal person, just like MM would start in his normal state...

M"
this is why I hate retcons anyway I still give it up to MM if Libra culd get close enough to stab him with a burning metal spear then HT can hit him with one flame blast
#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

I never got this..Is Martian Manhunter weak to fire because that is part of his physiology or is he weak to fire because he fears it?

#14 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio

Arite, this is a random encounter. Torch flies around until he spots an alien and vice versa. He immediately attacks him. 

#15 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
Midnightist said:
this is why I hate retcons anyway I still give it up to MM if Libra culd get close enough to stab him with a burning metal spear then HT can hit him with one flame blast"

we all accept it was one of the stupidest deaths ever seen in comics...

M
#16 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"I never got this..Is Martian Manhunter weak to fire because that is part of his physiology or is he weak to fire because he fears it?"
It was both
Methos said:
"Midnightist said:
this is why I hate retcons anyway I still give it up to MM if Libra culd get close enough to stab him with a burning metal spear then HT can hit him with one flame blast"

we all accept it was one of the stupidest deaths ever seen in comics...

M"
It really was lol
#17 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
oldmagic said:
"Arite, this is a random encounter. Torch flies around until he spots an alien and vice versa. He immediately attacks him. "
I think Martian Manhunter's reaction times are above that of Johnny's, so I'll put my vote on him as I believe he could hit him with a psychic attack.

Even if he was attacked by surprise, MM could probably sense Human Torch coming and hit him before he succumbs to his weakness.
#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter had been attacked by most of the villains from Earth, some of them characters with fire based powers

He had also continued being exposed to fire and was sedated by Doctor Light and whoever the other guy was (always forget his name)

In final crisis they said that Martian Manhunter wasn't at his full then and in requiem it was shown that even though he had the fire lance through his heart, he was still able to do a decent fight to some of the most dangerous villains needing telepathic alone

#19 Posted by King Saturn (224026 posts) - - Show Bio
I think Martian Manhunter should win here even though he has had an issue with fire in the past
#20 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
Midnightist said:
"IcePrince_X said:
"Martian ManHunter.... he can phase through Human Torch even when the latter goes nova on him."
Even phased fire could kill him"
Really? I hadn't seen anything showing that (and I sent out a call for proof and no one could find any). Do you have some evidence?
#21 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

J'onn J'onnz wins easily. Super speed + telepathy = overkill.

#22 Posted by Lunacyde (18632 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know I mean fire is supposed to be MM's weakness and the Human Torch is not just fire he is Hot as the sun fire. Also his body is pretty much made of fire. Im just saying HT has somewhat of a chance here.

#23 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I don't know I mean fire is supposed to be MM's weakness and the Human Torch is not just fire he is Hot as the sun fire. Also his body is pretty much made of fire. Im just saying HT has somewhat of a chance here."
But with Manhunter's speed..Johnny shouldn't really be able to do any damage.
#24 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Lunacyde said:
"I don't know I mean fire is supposed to be MM's weakness and the Human Torch is not just fire he is Hot as the sun fire. Also his body is pretty much made of fire. Im just saying HT has somewhat of a chance here."
But with Manhunter's speed..Johnny should really be able to do any damage."
should? 
#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Lunacyde said:
But with Manhunter's speed..Johnny should really be able to do any damage."
should? "
Shouldn't lol
#26 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i thought so but yea MM wins 

#27 Posted by Lunacyde (18632 posts) - - Show Bio

I donno....other less skilled/powerful characters have successfully used fire against MM....but I agree he should prolly win here. Although wouldnt it hurt MM by getting close enough to lay a hand on HT?

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I donno....other less skilled/powerful characters have successfully used fire against MM....but I agree he should prolly win here. Although wouldnt it hurt MM by getting close enough to lay a hand on HT?"
Fire hurts Spider-Man and Daredevil too and they both beat Johnny.He's dumb as hell.
#29 Posted by Lunacyde (18632 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really dumb....he is hot-headed and impatient. He rushes into things without thinking them out and is very arrogant. But yea you are right

#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"Not really dumb....he is hot-headed and impatient. He rushes into things without thinking them out and is very arrogant. But yea you are right"
Compared to Spidey,Manhunter,and DD he's pretty lacking in intellect.
#31 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Lunacyde said:
"Not really dumb....he is hot-headed and impatient. He rushes into things without thinking them out and is very arrogant. But yea you are right"
Compared to Spidey,Manhunter,and DD he's pretty lacking in intellect."
Not lacking rather....normal. hahah
#32 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio

i mean, when was the last time you guys saw heroes or villens with average intelligent? 

#33 Posted by The 502 Kid (3793 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhunter should win this one even though i like human torch

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
oldmagic said:
"i mean, when was the last time you guys saw heroes or villens with average intelligent? "
Most of them have average intelligence....
#35 Edited by the creator (8561 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
The Human Torch's body is made of flesh and blood.
He generates a field of plasma from his body. This causes the air to combust and thus the plasma looks like fire.
His standard temperature is around 780 deg F. He can raise this temp to a maximum temp of 1,000,000 deg F, which is as hot as a subsurface layer of the sun, but not the sun's core that can reach temps of 24,000,000 deg F.
HT has reached his max temp in the past only through his Nova Blast after which he is exhausted. We don't know how hot is Nova Flame is but it is likely to be below his max temp.
Using his flame at these ultra temps means that he exhausts himself quicker. Normally at his standard temp he can stay aflame for roughly 17 hours. Using the Nova flame reduces this time dramatically.

MM for the win.
If he wanted to he could simply fly 10 miles away before HT could even react and then shut his mind down from range if MM was worried.
#36 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter. Curbstomp.

#37 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1495 posts) - - Show Bio

While Manhunter won't be able to physically interact with Johnny he can still telepathically do it. Human Torch is still human so it should not be any trouble for Manhunter to do something to his mind.

#38 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20151 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

While Manhunter won't be able to physically interact with Johnny he can still telepathically do it. Human Torch is still human so it should not be any trouble for Manhunter to do something to his mind.

True, but remember that Martian Manhunter is also psychologically afraid/fears fire.

#39 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1495 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: True. If this battle had standards and conditions than it would be easier to determine. If Johnny has Prep then I think he would win because he would just need to get close to manhunter. If he doesn't than manhunter with prep could take the win. Also if their bloodlusted or not could play out in a battle but the battle doesn't have anything like that so I am going to lean towards manhunter.