cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By cpt_linger
@(((Prodigy))):
You do realise that we're talking about Padawans. Not Initiates. A padawan has already fledged him/herself a member of the Jedi Academy and has taken on a Master Jedi. A Padawan's abilities far outweight that of a young Hogwarts student, Slytherin or not.

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By theicon

force wins this

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By HolySerpent
@theicon said:
"force wins this "

magic wins this
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Malonius
@cpt_linger said:
" @(((Prodigy))): You do realise that we're talking about Padawans. Not Initiates. A padawan has already fledged him/herself a member of the Jedi Academy and has taken on a Master Jedi. A Padawan's abilities far outweight that of a young Hogwarts student, Slytherin or not.     "
I thought we were talking about Initiates. OP says Jedi Academy students vs. Hogwart's students.
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cpt_linger
@Malonius said:
" @cpt_linger said:
" @(((Prodigy))): You do realise that we're talking about Padawans. Not Initiates. A padawan has already fledged him/herself a member of the Jedi Academy and has taken on a Master Jedi. A Padawan's abilities far outweight that of a young Hogwarts student, Slytherin or not.     "
I thought we were talking about Initiates. OP says Jedi Academy students vs. Hogwart's students. "

A Padawan is not a student?
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Malonius
@cpt_linger said:

" @Malonius said:

" @cpt_linger said:
I thought we were talking about Initiates. OP says Jedi Academy students vs. Hogwart's students. "
A Padawan is not a student? "
A Padawan has passed the Initiate Trials...essentially they've graduated into an apprenticeship with a Jedi Knight or Master.
 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Initiate_Trials
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cpt_linger
@Malonius said:
" @cpt_linger said:

" @Malonius said:

" @cpt_linger said:
A Padawan is not a student? "
A Padawan has passed the Initiate Trials...essentially they've graduated into an apprenticeship with a Jedi Knight or Master.
 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Initiate_Trials "

You're spot on there mate, and once initiated as a Padawan, they become an apprentice (student) of the Academy and a specific Master. 

Even so, what's to say an initiate would be so helpless. A Jedi initiate can be any age, from late teens to their twilight years. Not to mention the various species that qualify to become a Jedi. Some species mature faster than others, so human initiate may be the least of the Hogwart's worries.
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Malonius

Hogwart's has something similar. After a student completes there NEWT's at the end of 7th year they begin a job specific apprenticeship. They have to get certain NEWT's to qualify for apprenticeships. Harry was talking about this with McGonnagal about what it takes to become an Auror I think in book 5.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sydpart2

this has evolved into quite a good debate...but I still think the precognition give the jedi kids or whatever we're supposed to call them a definitive advantage, not enough to take a majority but definitely enough to make firing into the crowd less effective than has been pointed out by others...

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Sydpart2 said:
" this has evolved into quite a good debate...but I still think the precognition give the jedi kids or whatever we're supposed to call them a definitive advantage, not enough to take a majority but definitely enough to make firing into the crowd less effective than has been pointed out by others... "
The ability for Jedi, even Knights or Masters, to use the Force for precognition is dubious at best. From what I understand, it is a somewhat unreliable power and can leave a Jedi when it is most needed.
virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By virgin4life

harry potter solos.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ssejllenrad

younglings = early year wizards < innitiaites < later year wizards < padawans < wizards < jedi knights < harry, dumbledore & voldi =  jedi masters < yoda < palps < luke = anakin (full potential) < tlitony and friends <  shaft (not to be confused with mace though they look alike)  < the force < toaa = presence = mom = mr.t = chuck norris

Just my 2 cents

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sydpart2
@(((Prodigy))): well correct me if I'm worng but isn't it the use of precognition that allows them to block laser beams? And aren't those traveling at light speed? I'd think most of the magic would need to follow a similar path as the lasers...
HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By HolySerpent
@Sydpart2 said:
" @(((Prodigy))): well correct me if I'm worng but isn't it the use of precognition that allows them to block laser beams? And aren't those traveling at light speed? I'd think most of the magic would need to follow a similar path as the lasers..."

i dont think lasers can are moving at light speed because u can clearly see it leaving the gun and hitting the target.  
there precongnition abilities are at there best when there meditiating. and even then grandmaster yoda couldnt even forsee the wipe out of the jedi order.  
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Sydpart2 said:
" @(((Prodigy))): well correct me if I'm worng but isn't it the use of precognition that allows them to block laser beams? And aren't those traveling at light speed? I'd think most of the magic would need to follow a similar path as the lasers..."

Blaster bolts from the Star Wars universe don't travel at light speed. Heck, I don't think they're even as fast as bullets. As you can see from the movies, they travel slow enough for us to be able to watch them go by. The Jedis' skill in avoiding them is only partially due to the Force. A lot of it also comes from their lifetime of combat training and reflexes. But since most of these students don't really have a 'lifetime'of training, their combat reflexes will not be nearly as attuned as the Jedi we watch in the movie fights.
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By cpt_linger

The initiates of the Jedi academy are training to become soldiers of the Republic. What is a student at Hogwarts for?
Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Two words:
Avada Kedavra

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@cpt_linger said:
"The initiates of the Jedi academy are training to become soldiers of the Republic. What is a student at Hogwarts for? "

Correction: they are training to become peacekeepers of the Republic. 
And many of the students have aspirations to become Aurors,professional duelists, Death Eaters, ect.
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Malonius

I get where  (((Prodigy))) is coming from. Magic ought to be more versatile and powerful than the force in the right hands. I would say for instance:
5 best students at Hogwarts > 5 best students at the Jedi Academy for the majority
5 Order of the Phoenix members > 5 Jedi Knights for the majority
Even Dumbledore > Yoda the majority of the time

,but the difference is that the vast majority of witches and wizards seem to live quiet lives in the country with boring bureaucratic jobs at the Ministry of Magic. Aurors are understood to be exceptional at magic. Just look at the way 1000's of witches and wizards panicked at the Quidditch World Cup when a few Death Eaters showed up. 

All Jedi, on the other hand, are trained to be lethal warriors and to keep their heads in a fight. As soon as one Jedi teenager gets in the midst of the Hogwart's kids and starts decapitating and severing limbs with their light saber, the witches and wizard students are going to start firing spells randomly into their own midst.  Jedi kids figure out the wand thing they'll pull them right out of the Hogwart's kids hands with the Force, it's pretty much all over for Hogwart's students.

There's no "stun" setting on a light saber.  Jedi Academy takes the majority.

p.s. In Phantom Menace, Qui Gon states that Anakin seems to have such good reflexes allowing to compete in pod races, but that it's not actually Anakins reflexes...it's the Force guiding his movements subconsciously.

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By cpt_linger
@deadpoolvironfist said:
"Two words:
Avada Kedavra"

One word 
Ligthsaber
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ssejllenrad

First-off, laser blasts are around the speed of bullets. Some may think they're not cause we see blasts while not see bullets. In truth you only don't see bullets cause they're not illuminating. I think we best compare the blasters with trace bullets.

@Malonius said:

" 5 best students at Hogwarts > 5 best students at the Jedi Academy for the majority5 Order of the Phoenix members > 5 Jedi Knights for the majority Even Dumbledore > Yoda"
I believe Jedi Masters (or at least Jedi council members) > Order of the Phoenix > Jedi Knights. Plus how did you come to the conclusion that Dumbledore > Yoda? I disagree with this but I am open for arguments.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Malonius:  

Just look at the way 1000's of witches and wizards panicked at the Quidditch World Cup when a few Death Eaters showed up.   

That's just a basic crowd mindset. One person starts panicking, then everyone around him starts panicking, then before you know it hundreds of people are running in panic. Half of them aren't even entirely sure what they're panicking about. They're just doing it because everybody else is doing it.  

All Jedi, on the other hand, are trained to be lethal warriors and to keep their heads in a fight. As soon as one Jedi teenager gets in the midst of the Hogwart's kids and starts decapitating and severing limbs with their light saber, the witches and wizard students are going to start firing spells randomly into their own midst.   

But all it takes is one student with a level head and passable aim to put him down. 
The wizards have a major advantage from the distance. They can start firing off spells the second the fight starts. The Jedi have to close a 100-yard gap (with no cover at all) before attacking. Not only are they going to be picked off by long-range spells, but their progress up the field will be severly impeded by shield charms and other magical barriers.  

There's no "stun" setting on a light saber.  

I found this on the Star Wars Wiki (and don't bash me for quoting a Wiki. I've heard this other places too.) 
From the article on training lightsabers:
     Commonly thought to be low powered lightsaberstraining lightsabers, also known as practice sabers, were actual lightsabers that possessed a highly intensified electromagnetic containment field which was far more difficult to penetrate than that of a standard lightsaber. Thus the energy which formed the blade was better contained and able to do far less damage, and would result in welts, bruises, and minor burns instead of amputation or death. This feature could be readjusted by a fully trained Jedi to enable a Knight or Master to utilize a trainee's weapon in emergencies. These types of lightsabers were commonly used by Jedi Initiates andyounglings.

The majority of the Jedi students in this fight will fall into either the Initiates or younglings, and they won't even have fully-powered lightsabers. 

@cpt_linger:   

One word 
Ligthsaber  

Four words: 
Lightsabers won't block magic.   
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ssejllenrad
@(((Prodigy))) said:
Four words: Lightsabers won't block magic.    "
That's pure assumption. Lightsabres can block Sith Sorceries. I don't know how that stacks up in the Rowlingverse but I do know one thing: You can't prove lightsabres won't block magic just as I couldn't prove it will.
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Malonius
@ssejllenrad said:

@Malonius said:

" 5 best students at Hogwarts > 5 best students at the Jedi Academy for the majority5 Order of the Phoenix members > 5 Jedi Knights for the majority Even Dumbledore > Yoda"
I believe Jedi Masters (or at least Jedi council members) > Order of the Phoenix > Jedi Knights. Plus how did you come to the conclusion that Dumbledore > Yoda? I disagree with this but I am open for arguments. "
I agree Yoda could win majority against any witch or wizard except Dumbledore or Voldemort, but Dumbledore does stuff that no other witch or wizard can do. I'm thinking of the Yoda vs. Emperor fight in ROTS and Dumbledore vs. Voldemort in HP5 as examples of their all out fighting ability in cannon. What could Yoda do that Dumbledore couldn't handle?
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Malonius: G-Cannon then. If we talk S-Cannon (EU), then Yoda has got more feats (or potential as I would base my feats on the measure of S-Cannon Palps). He was a step below the Emperor and Dooku said that if Yoda was a Sith, he'd have powers to beat Sidious, who in EU was the strongest Sith ever. With Force Storms and the likes.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@ssejllenrad said:
" @Malonius: G-Cannon then. If we talk S-Cannon (EU), then Yoda has got more feats (or potential as I would base my feats on the measure of S-Cannon Palps). He was a step below the Emperor and Dooku said that if Yoda was a Sith, he'd have powers to beat Sidious, who in EU was the strongest Sith ever. With Force Storms and the likes. "
Honestly, I just don't see how a plasma arc contined by a magnetic field could possibly stop magical spells. In every kind of fiction I have ever read in which science and magic mix, science-based weapons are never capable of stopping magic. They are just two completely different forces. 
And this is the first I'm hearing of Sith Lords using sorcery. I was not aware real magic was ever used in any canon form or Star Wars.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ssejllenrad
@(((Prodigy))): 
Well, first-off, apart from the midiclorian BS, the force is far from a science-based thing. So it deflecting force lightning and such is almost proof that it could deal with paranormal forces (in terms of our world). Force and magic may be completely different things but then again, maybe they could be the same. Again to say that it can or cannot deal with magic is indeterminate.

As for sorcery, here's a wiki page. It's the best I could give right now. I'll try to give more credible sources (official handbooks) when available.
  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_magic

I wish JediXman or Silver were here. They could explain it better.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@ssejllenrad said:
" @(((Prodigy))): 
Well, first-off, apart from the midiclorian BS, the force is far from a science-based thing. So it deflecting force lightning and such is almost proof that it could deal with paranormal forces (in terms of our world). Force and magic may be completely different things but then again, maybe they could be the same. Again to say that it can or cannot deal with magic is indeterminate.

As for sorcery, here's a wiki page. It's the best I could give right now. I'll try to give more credible sources (official handbooks) when available.
  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_magic   I wish JediXman or Silver were here. They could explain it better. "
How is the midiclorian deal BS? I always thought the Force could be credited as a 100% science-based form of power. 

Despite what it is called in that article, I'm still not completely convinced that what the Sith did was true magic. Most of the 'magical' powers and abilities listed there are things that could be performed with high level telekinesis/telepathy if practiced enough. Sorry if I'm seeming stubborn, but I honestly just don't see how a lightsaber plade (just plasma contained by a magnetic field) would be capable of stopping something created by magic. It just doesn't make any sense at all to me.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ssejllenrad
@(((Prodigy))): Midiclorians are BS because we had the nigh pantheist form of the Force being spiritual and all and Lucas dropped some microorganisms about it.. Just plain BS on my end. Could be branded PIS if only Lucas, the be-all and end-all of Starwars, was not the one that introduced it.

You have a right to your opinion on the Force and magic. I, on the other hand, am on the other side.. :D
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@ssejllenrad said:
" @(((Prodigy))): Midiclorians are BS because we had the nigh pantheist form of the Force being spiritual and all and Lucas dropped some microorganisms about it.. Just plain BS on my end. Could be branded PIS if only Lucas, the be-all and end-all of Starwars, was not the one that introduced it.  You have a right to your opinion on the Force and magic. I, on the other hand, am on the other side.. :D "
At the very least, perhaps we can agree that training lightsabers can not stop magic, as they are far less powerful than regular lightsabers?
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ssejllenrad
@(((Prodigy))) said:
" @ssejllenrad said:
" @(((Prodigy))): Midiclorians are BS because we had the nigh pantheist form of the Force being spiritual and all and Lucas dropped some microorganisms about it.. Just plain BS on my end. Could be branded PIS if only Lucas, the be-all and end-all of Starwars, was not the one that introduced it.  You have a right to your opinion on the Force and magic. I, on the other hand, am on the other side.. :D "
At the very least, perhaps we can agree that training lightsabers can not stop magic, as they are far less powerful than regular lightsabers? "
Yup! Especially the wooden ones.. hehe! Though if we're not restricted to initiates only then regular lightsabres are also included here due to Padawans.
Avatar image for reversenegative
ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By ReverseNegative

They should unite to make light saber wands.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ssejllenrad
@ReverseNegative: That'll be a Sith/Death Eater treat! A sword that can cut through anything and could shoot out spells! What carnage that'll bring!!!
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@ssejllenrad said:
" @(((Prodigy))) said:
" @ssejllenrad said:
At the very least, perhaps we can agree that training lightsabers can not stop magic, as they are far less powerful than regular lightsabers? "
Yup! Especially the wooden ones.. hehe! Though if we're not restricted to initiates only then regular lightsabres are also included here due to Padawans. "
Well, there's gotta be more Initiates and Younglings than there are Padawans, so there probably won't be that many normal lightsabers on the field.
one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By one_upper

7th Year Hogwarts students can be pretty skilled.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ssejllenrad
@(((Prodigy))): True. They were, in fact, quite easily been defeated by Vader's 501st.
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Malonius

I like the nature of the Force vs. the nature of magic debate, but I don't think it would matter very much in a battle until you got to the Dumbledore vs. Yoda or Voldemort vs. Emperor level. 

I assumed the lightsabers were full powered per the way I read the OP. It makes sense that kids in the Jedi Academy wouldn't have full powered lightsabers, though. It would change the nature of this battle IMO.

I agree that even full powered lightsabers wouldn't deflect spells, but they still might take the brunt of a spell as any other material object would. Dumbledore had a statue jump between him and a killing curse in HP5. I'm counting on Jedi reflexes dodging straight line spells, not lightsaber deflections in my scenario.

Cheers!

Agent_Murdoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Agent_Murdoch

Online Now

Hopefully this thread is still popular after the thread about Hogwarts v.s. Jedi Academy, v.s. Camp Half-blood is still popular... I guess what I'm really trying to say is....

BUMP!!!
one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By one_upper

It all depends who the Jedi and who the magic users are.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By PowerHerc

Jedis for the win.
spacerodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By spacerodan

Jedi easily. though I don't think this is quiet fair, as in an interview with JKR, though I can't say which one at the moment, she said that a muggle with a shotgun could kill voldemort. wizard magic has  

incredible potential to do many things in combat, but the wizards are not creative 9 times out of 10. nor are they trained for combat as those in the academy are. 

though I can't source the interview, I found it being talked about Here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MugglesDoItBetter

If that statement is true, then Jedi students win with ease.

spacerodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By spacerodan

"In a fight between a Muggle with a shotgun and a wizard with a wand, the Muggle will win."    was the actual quote. so not voldemort maybe, though even then... 

CaffeiNix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CaffeiNix
@spacerodan said:
" "In a fight between a Muggle with a shotgun and a wizard with a wand, the Muggle will win."    was the actual quote. so not voldemort maybe, though even then...   "
Yeah. Nobody's mentioned blasters yet. Praxeum students definitely use blasters as well as lightsabers.

I'd say a jedi trainee on the verge of attaining knighthood is much deadlier than any hogwarts student by virtue of their extensive combat training, superior athleticism and precognitive reflexes. Jacen Solo was monstrously powerful in his academy days.

Sure, 7th years can apparate, but that's hardly suitable for battle. Even prodigies like Harry couldn't hope to try some nightcrawler type stuff as a 7th year without hurling all over the place.

As mentioned before, nearly all combat spells are line of sight based and must connect with the target to be effective. I would expect a Praxeum student to be capable of dodging most spells after only a year or two of training.
ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malonius: Right, that is why they got Defence Against DArk Atys, and what a paceful life they students have

Avatar image for deactivated-57d17c2439784
deactivated-57d17c2439784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't the Jedi just blitz? And any spells sent their way they will just see in slow motion

zr0c00l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is lukes academy at what time? are anakin jaina and jacen still there?