#1 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Harry Blackstone copperfield Dresden and John Crichton have to fight the doctor

they have a week of prep/team-building, wherin they can summon all the resources at their disposal

The Doctor is in his most current incarnation, and doesn't know he'll encounter the two

#2 Edited by MisterGuyMan (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

With a week of prep, Harry Dresden can do anything required by the plot. I'd say the team wins just because of that.

#3 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@misterguyman: and if it was the same teams, but in a random encounter?

#4 Edited by Bossmoss4l (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic is the Murphies Law of all tech ever. Dresden steps inside the TARDIS and the universe collapses. Stalemate

#5 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, it's funny, I've seen all of Farscape, and remember none of it.

Dunno how this would play out, but the Doctor has faced magic before, and he's a hard to kill person, plus has a lot of abilities.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#6 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@bossmoss4l: I don't know, gallifreyan technology is funny

@floopay: ehy its the dog(shut up, its not a rat dammit!) from The Tick!

#7 Edited by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@bossmoss4l: I don't know, gallifreyan technology is funny

@floopay: ehy its the dog(shut up, its not a rat dammit!) from The Tick!

He's a capybara!

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#8 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay said:

You know, it's funny, I've seen all of Farscape, and remember none of it.

Dunno how this would play out, but the Doctor has faced magic before, and he's a hard to kill person, plus has a lot of abilities.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Aye, but he hasn't faced magic from Dresden's universe. I take this as a situation where you take the properties and implications of the powers where they come from and apply them in the fight. It's like adamantium still being basically unbreakable in fights with characters from a universe where it doesn't exist, or Flash being able to access the speed force in fights with characters where it doesn't exist. I think Harry would bring into this fight his world's magic and all that implies. The Doctor may have dealt with magic, but none that worked like Harry's, which actively works against tech (and the complexity of The Doctor's tech would make it more susceptible than most).

Without his tech, The Doctor, as typically portrayed, is just the cleverest guy in the room (most rooms, in fact), but not one that would last in a fight against Harry in almost any incarnation/power level, even without prep.

Moderator
#9 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot said:

@floopay said:

You know, it's funny, I've seen all of Farscape, and remember none of it.

Dunno how this would play out, but the Doctor has faced magic before, and he's a hard to kill person, plus has a lot of abilities.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Aye, but he hasn't faced magic from Dresden's universe. I take this as a situation where you take the properties and implications of the powers where they come from and apply them in the fight. It's like adamantium still being basically unbreakable in fights with characters from a universe where it doesn't exist, or Flash being able to access the speed force in fights with characters where it doesn't exist. I think Harry would bring into this fight his world's magic and all that implies. The Doctor may have dealt with magic, but none that worked like Harry's, which actively works against tech (and the complexity of The Doctor's tech would make it more susceptible than most).

Without his tech, The Doctor, as typically portrayed, is just the cleverest guy in the room (most rooms, in fact), but not one that would last in a fight against Harry in almost any incarnation/power level, even without prep.

A clever guy with energy absorption, hypnosis, mind control, two hearts, precognition (of sorts), the ability to perceive time, with supernatural senses, and godly regeneration if needed.

I don't know if he would win this, but it's hard to put him down, even without his tech.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#10 Posted by The_Imperator (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh, they wouldn't fight, but the sheer level of snark and sarcasm and badass in the immediate area would increase exponetially :D

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay said:

@buckshot said:

@floopay said:

You know, it's funny, I've seen all of Farscape, and remember none of it.

Dunno how this would play out, but the Doctor has faced magic before, and he's a hard to kill person, plus has a lot of abilities.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Aye, but he hasn't faced magic from Dresden's universe. I take this as a situation where you take the properties and implications of the powers where they come from and apply them in the fight. It's like adamantium still being basically unbreakable in fights with characters from a universe where it doesn't exist, or Flash being able to access the speed force in fights with characters where it doesn't exist. I think Harry would bring into this fight his world's magic and all that implies. The Doctor may have dealt with magic, but none that worked like Harry's, which actively works against tech (and the complexity of The Doctor's tech would make it more susceptible than most).

Without his tech, The Doctor, as typically portrayed, is just the cleverest guy in the room (most rooms, in fact), but not one that would last in a fight against Harry in almost any incarnation/power level, even without prep.

A clever guy with energy absorption, hypnosis, mind control, two hearts, precognition (of sorts), the ability to perceive time, with supernatural senses, and godly regeneration if needed.

I don't know if he would win this, but it's hard to put him down, even without his tech.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

There's a reason I wrote out "The Doctor, as typically portrayed". The Doctor doesn't use any of these abilities in a useful way most of the time. Despite the lists of things trotted out in Doctor Who fights that should give him wins, he can be killed by fairly common means. He can be shot, he can be cut apart with blades, he can be poisoned, and he can be contained. These things and more have happened without him calling on these abilities to get him out of trouble. Energy absorption? Usually in special situations (and special energies), not something I see stopping him from getting burnt alive by a good fireball. Hypnosis/Mind Control? Even if this were a thing he did in a way that would grant him a win given that he's been defeated without using it before, Harry has a measure of defense (from several sources at this point if I'm recalling correctly). Two hearts isn't much to brag about. Precog/Time perception isn't either the way The Doctor goes about. Harry's got supernatural senses as well. Regeneration is not a game saver, especially given the state he'd be in afterward. I see Harry taking the fight in a random mix em up, let alone one where he has a week of prep.

Moderator
#12 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_imperator: @@buckshot: @floopay: why isn;t anyone taking Crichton into consideration? i could totally see the Doctor tryong tpo pull something n him and Crichtoon just shooting the Time Lord. or maybe he could rig up something to counteract the Doc's tech? I don't know

#13 Edited by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_imperator: @@buckshot: @floopay: why isn;t anyone taking Crichton into consideration? i could totally see the Doctor tryong tpo pull something n him and Crichtoon just shooting the Time Lord. or maybe he could rig up something to counteract the Doc's tech? I don't know

Well, I'm not because 1) my reason for posting was originally just to drop a thought on Dresden's magic in this fight 2) because I don't know the character and 3) I think Harry can win on his own.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot: you thinkHarry couldtake the Doctor on his own?

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot: you thinkHarry couldtake the Doctor on his own?

@buckshot said:

Without his tech, The Doctor, as typically portrayed, is just the cleverest guy in the room (most rooms, in fact), but not one that would last in a fight against Harry in almost any incarnation/power level, even without prep.

It would appear so, wouldn't it? I'm not sure why the need for clarification, but there it is. With magic to get rid of The Doctor's tech, a lifetime of experience exerting his will over forces of nature and maneuvering verbal minefields to not fall victim to The Doctor's mouth, and various methods killing a clever man with two hearts (even down to a simple gun), I think it's within his ability.

Moderator
#16 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@the_imperator: @@buckshot: @floopay: why isn;t anyone taking Crichton into consideration? i could totally see the Doctor tryong tpo pull something n him and Crichtoon just shooting the Time Lord. or maybe he could rig up something to counteract the Doc's tech? I don't know

Well, I'm not because 1) my reason for posting was originally just to drop a thought on Dresden's magic in this fight 2) because I don't know the character and 3) I think Harry can win on his own.

Even fighting to the best of his ability I don't necessarily think the Doctor would (or should, I should say) win, I'm just saying he probably won't be going down easy.

As for Dresden, I only read the first few books, so I'm not overly up to date on him. But I've seen some of his feats posted around here.

Crichton is a remarkable marksman, and leader. But without his crew I really don't see him bringing much to the table, at least not when paired with a top tier wizard like Dresden, and against a top tier genius like the Doctor.

Though I will say this, if the Doctor gets his ship it's a stomp in his favor, but that goes without saying :P

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#17 Posted by DangerousLoki (715 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot: I love the Doctor and I love Dresden. It's hard to say if alien technology would work the way mortal technology does and therein, it's hard to say. The TARDIS itself seems to be less a technology as much as an almost sentient entity in some representations. One could argue that the Doctor's TARDIS is as much magic as Dresden's spell. That said. The Doctor doesn't have the power to counter Dresden's magic. It is completly foreign and the applications with which he can use it would allow him to put the Doctor down pretty handily in a straight up fight. I don't think Dresden's prep is going to be much aid here though.

#18 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor is only omnipotent (slight exaggeration) with prep.

#19 Edited by Dextersinister (6175 posts) - - Show Bio

One of them goes and does his laundry while the other punches his lights out when they encounter him on the streets.

#20 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

The hard on for the Doctor on these boards is surpassing DBZ fandom. This fight by design is going to end with either one of these characters taking him out.

#21 Edited by ComicStooge (12929 posts) - - Show Bio

The hard on for the Doctor on these boards is surpassing DBZ fandom.

My thoughts exactly.

Online
#22 Posted by Inphase (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, John Crichton from Farscape? Hes a cool character, sort of like a more modern Han Solo, and he can do alot with prep, especially with Dargo, but he would be defeated easily.

#23 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor isn't a physical fighter (most of the time), If these guys just showed up to kill him there's not a whole lot he could do.

#24 Edited by dondave (37646 posts) - - Show Bio

Team

#25 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase: HEY! someone who rememeber Joh nCrichton! Dargo can't actually help in the battle, but can heklp prepare something; for whom are you going?

@skyfire: if teh doctor had a week of prepe as well, how would you see this going?

#26 Posted by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Inphase (329 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: I see the Doctor taking this even without prep, though Dargo and Crichton are one of my all time favorite duos.

#28 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase: @skyfire: you two seem to disagree, ya gonna try to convince each other?