Hal Jordan ( pre and new 52) vs Thor (classic and current)

Avatar image for breakingthrones
BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Hal Jordan ( pre and new 52) vs Thor (classic and current) (32 votes)

Hal Jordan 44%
Thor 56%
 • 
BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Hal

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BreakingThrones

Bump

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hal stomps

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone said:

hal stomps

Why do you think he stomps, wouldn't it be a close fight?

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dawnone said:

hal stomps

i think it will be close decent fight.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones said:
@dawnone said:

hal stomps

i think it will be close decent fight.

I'm surprised people have gone for Hal, why does he win?

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

@breakingthrones: I didn't vote so I only counted the person who posted their response. I'd be wrong anyway cus it's two people who actually posted Hal as a winner.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BreakingThrones

@breakingthrones: I didn't vote so I only counted the person who posted their response. I'd be wrong anyway cus it's two people who actually posted Hal as a winner.

Ok.

What do you think?

blackleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dawnone

@breakingthrones: uh slowdin son has no speed feast to suggest he can contend with hal and with post crisis hal who can make constructs strong enough to support the earth it definitely slides it in hals favour

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dawnone
BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone said:

@breakingthrones: uh slowdin son has no speed feast to suggest he can contend hal and with post retconed hal who can make constructs strong enough to support the earth i definitely slides it in hals favour

Interesting. Yeah Thor's combat speed does seem to be inconsistent and a liability.

He makes up for it though in terms of travel speed, striking damage and energy projection.

My reason for being on the fence is the fact that :

1. Hal's ring can run out of charge

2. Thor's energy projection and attacks with mjolnir can break his constructs after a few attacks and is Hal going to be able to get up another shield or dodge his attacks in time?

3. GL rings have been broken before - e.g by Darkseid and this is a possibility

But if you can counter these points I would come off the fence and side with Hal due to greater speed and versatility.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BreakingThrones

@dawnone: I'll let someone else argue for Thor but as far as I am aware some of his high ends feats are things like covering an entire planet in lightning and hurting high tier characters, so I think he can match a lot of Hal's top end feats too.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
  • yes hals rig can run out of charge but tbh i highly doubt it would get to a point where hal needs to exert himself to that extent
  • you think thor can smash through this (scan at the top)
  • thor is not darksied darkseid would bitch-slap slowdison back to asgard
chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting fight. Can Thor drain the ring? Can Hal's constructs hold or can Thor break through them? Both have insane feats (pulling planets, breaking through Celestial armor, etc..)

Both of them have a ton of powers but Hal seems to use the rings versatility more often then Thor.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone: I think eventually Thor would break free - if gets trapped in it in the first place.

I think this would be a rather drawn out battle, no one is going to win with ease.

Lol, I know more than anyone just how superior Darkseid is but bear in mind that it was post crisis Darkseid who broke the GL ring and he has rarely been seen in his true form until new 52. I believe one of thor's most powerful strikes ( which cracked celestial armour) or a God blast could seriously damage Hal- if it hits him and/or his ring.

However, like I said. I'm on the fence.

Auto shields should protect Hal and he can increase his reaction speeds with the ring to match Thor's attack speed. Hal also has very powerful energy projection such as when he killed Krona and when he blasted a hole in amazo.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiq said:

Interesting fight. Can Thor drain the ring? Can Hal's constructs hold or can Thor break through them? Both have insane feats (pulling planets, breaking through Celestial armor, etc..)

Both of them have a ton of powers but Hal seems to use the rings versatility more often then Thor.

Cheers bro.

I would argue that they could drain each other but that Thor would have a greater capacity to do so. I know that Gl's can drain energy into their rings but it can only contain so much. Thor can absorb energy attacks with mjolnir and thus that would be useful in this fight.

I think Thor can break through Hal's constructs but if he brings out some of his best one's then Thor is going to struggle to break through them, it's just what Hal can do to Thor whilst he has him trapped.

Hal definitely has more versatility, there is a ridiculous number of things he can do with the ring, it's just how many are actually going to be effective.

Another possible advantage for Hal is; what would happen if he could seperate Thor from mjolnir?

For example;

1. Trap mjolnir in a construct, would that work?

2. Trap Thor without mjolnir?

If he can seperate Thor from mjolnir for a little while it would leave him more open to attack.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dawnone
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

alright for dc here we go this is hal dc

first scan is him covering the earth with a construct

second san is him forming ablast as hot as the sun

No Caption Provided

tanks a moon buster

for durabilty here we go

No Caption Provided

tankes punches form prime who can move planet like a chess peice

for speed now this one a winner especially given thor diversity in this area

No Caption Provided

easily moves light speed

No Caption Provided

traps zoom someone who would blitz thor a million times before he can react

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dawnone

uless thor can match any of these its a stomp also just realised new 52 was here aswell with the combined versatility of both this is indeed a stomp

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, probably Thor with his crazy classic feats.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone said:

uless thor can match any of these its a stomp also just realised new 52 was here aswell with the combined versatility of both this is indeed a stomp

It's not by any means a stomp.

Can Hal move FTL on earth? May characters can move FTL in space but not on earth, for whatever reasons.

Thor can also move FTL:

No Caption Provided

There is however a vast difference between travel speed and combat speed.

A blast as hot as the sun would likely not effect Thor any more than a normal one, he is pretty much impervious to heat.

I'm sure Hal has the durability to handle a decent amount of attacks from Thor and I'm also sure Hal could trap Thor in a construct, he would break out of it though sooner or later.

In terms of the attacks Hal would be working against:

Summoning cosmic winds:

No Caption Provided

This would certainly make it harder for Hal to focus and create constructs. He would also expand a lot of ring energy trying to contain it whilst Thor is attacking him in other ways.

And as you asked me about him being able to match Hal's planet sized constructs, how about a storm that encompasses the entire planet:

No Caption Provided

Hal would really have to strain to contain this.

An example of Thor's lightning attacks:

No Caption Provided

Whilst I'm sure Hal could contain this, it would be constantly lowering his ring energy.

If Hal is having to use energy to defend then he will have less energy to attack and the ring will eventually run out.

I have heard that Green lanterns can create duplicate rings though right? If that is the case then running out of energy might not be an issue.

Hal's attacks aren't going to be too much of an issue though.

Thor can easily absorb energy attacks and redirect them with even more force:

No Caption Provided

This is also a decent showing that he has the reaction feats to handle energy based attacks.

He also has more than enough durability to handle Hal's attacks if he can't block them.

I'm not trying to get into a full on debate here as I'm trying to remain neutral and I'm still undecided.

It would be interesting to see someone do a CaV with these two.

Would you be interested in representing Hal if I can find someone to represent Thor?

That way you could prove once and for all that Hal can beat him ;)

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dawnone
No Caption Provided

thor can throw all the attacks he wan'ts though nfl a bit hal ring teleports hal in signs of impending danger

travel speed is useful in terms of transportation but in combat its not as efficeint thor lacking in the combat speed department will cripple him here there's a reason why the call it combat speed hal on the other hand makes thor look like a chump

No Caption Provided

catches zoom

No Caption Provided

tags parallax flash someone astronomically faster than thor in combat and travel speed

No Caption Provided

now is there any thing stopping hal from simply blitzing? the gap between hteir combat speed is wide

No Caption Provided

@breakingthrones: good points you made but i stand by what i say that hal does indeed win this thor feet though impressive can be matched easily by hal hal can do all of that and more your'e also disregarding hal versilaty which will also come into play

No Caption Provided

people assume its only new 52 hal here its post crisis as well and he was beastly lets say thor manages to inflict harm upon hal no biggie he patches up

No Caption Provided

i highly doubt thor would suddenly shatter hal power ring espacailly when its been shown to resist transmutation

No Caption Provided

also whats stopping hal form simply doing this

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dawnone

as for the cav i think il pass always good to challenge you're self but i got too many things on my hands besides i got all i my scans laid out in this thread lol you know what scratch that il do it whne i get back from Wembley

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BreakingThrones

@dawnone said:

as for the cav i think il pass always good to challenge you're self but i got too many things on my hands besides i got all i my scans laid out in this thread lol you know what scratch that il do it whne i get back from Wembley

Interesting.

Whilst I could get into a full on debate about this, I'd prefer to remain neutral, especially as I created the thread.

Calling out one of the Thor experts @conner_wolf. Perhaps you could tell me if you think Thor beats Hal Jordan and counter the points made for Hal above?

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hal.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By conner_wolf

@dawnone: You're kidding right? GL speed blitz Thor? Let me spell this out for you.

Thor is not slow.

Honestly, DC fanboys only started using all those low-end feats just to make Thor lose to characters more often on the battleboards. Pure spite towards his character.

Ever hear of Makkari? Of course not, but he beat The Runner in a footrace, indicating his combat speed exceeds that of Silver Surfer's travel speed.

Makkari is proven to be Hermes' equal when it comes to speed. Thor constantly tags Hermes

But wait, there's more!

No Caption Provided

Thor in this ship is moving at the LEAST 12x the speed of light. That is lowballing to the highest degree. Reasonable estimate? 120,000x the speed of light as the ship was crossing the galaxy in a day or so. Highest estimate is beyond that.

And then there's this beauty. Thor blocks a mental bolt from the Phoenix Force, and then five different instances where mental attacks, the speed of thought, etc... are all proven to be FTL in Marvel, very, very FTL.

So no, lowballing Thor's speed is sad a sad and pathetic excuse to make him lose battles on the battleboard.

And Green Lantern can't take more than a few blows from Thor's hammer without any construct he creates being shattered.

I doubt GL could even hurt Thor. He tanked four Mjolnir-level blasts, a blast from Thanos, Starbrand's blasts, Wolverine's claws, Power Gem Drax, multiple planet-destroying blows, so on, and so forth.

Oh, and let's not forget how powerful of a weather manipulator Thor is. He hurts Skyfather level beings with it, he can KO Juggs, he knocks out Hulk from the residue of his force, his thunder can be felt across worlds, and that one time he broke through a barrier created by Odin and the GOTG on the other side of the universe felt it.

I'd be glad to expand more upon Thor's abilities in a CAV, but I think I just proved that Thor is far, far more powerful than GL.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dawnone
No Caption Provided

@conner_wolf: no im being dead serious not to lowball but

dc fan boys using what? you ever wonder why people assume thor to be slow its not due to bias or out of spite in using low end feats but due to thor consistently shown to be slower than what marvel fan boys claim

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

you see things relatively all your'e scans showcase travel speed i never claimed travel speed to be lacking just made a case for his combat speed which has consistently been show to be less than what marvel fanboys claim a characters high end feats are good but when contradicted by so many other low end feats we have to draw a middle ground unless superman would be stomping surfer marvel fanboys use this excuse aslo, my point is thor isn't slow just not as fast as you claim

well your'e claim on me not hearing makkari is a bit abrrasiv and swift to judge but what other reason did you have to bring it to light other than to show runner jobbing?

power-scaling hols no merit in marvel as instances and opinions vary from writer to writer lt has been shown to be well above multiversal yet in some issues he's ben shown to be below we can't scale like that as things vary could phenixes tp be slower?are some people tp faster than others?we don't know unless it wa stated in the scan directly that thor reacted to light speed tp it all seems vague

you bring that up like it owuld factor in a fight of this level

here's green latern condensing a star and thor getting kicked b captain america this was a joke but still thor isn't tanking an attack from somoene who can condense a star

No Caption Provided

here;s hlm hurting lafreeze someone much more powerful than thor so i remain skeptical about him no selling hals attacks

so characters such as prime have replicated the said feat doesn't mean much when they have been consistently shown to be less

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone: You use the same scans over and over... you have no idea what thor can do...

Here he is going up against 8th day jugs who is much stronger than hal so strength is in thor's favor

Here is more strength and other powers that he has. He can drain any kind of energy so no reason to think he couldn't drain Hal,, but lets say he can't because I know Hal has the same style power... I also provided a scan of him holding a moon together and destroying a planet...

Thor can summon storms from other dimensions allowing him to bring the other dimensional pain any time he wants....

since you are hung up on speed,, Here thor tags quicksilver, and also has nano second reaction time.. I also provide a scan of him getting speed blitzed and how he handles it.. Speed isn't everything.. Thor can handle the speed... Thor has trained for thousands of years too so he is a warrior at heart... Given all that,, Hal is still a beast especially pre52 even tho they are technically the same?? idk that always confuses me... This match is hard to call...Durability is in thor's favor,, and so is endurance. Variety of powers also is in thor's favor but Hal has creativity and will on his side... Btw you need to check the scans you posted as some of those are amped hal....

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone:This is exactly what I'm talking about, do you understand how hard you're lowballing right now? How about I get ahold of every time Superman, or Flash, or Green Lantern have been slow, and how about I use those to prove how slow any of them are? It'd be seen as lowballing right? Then why is it seen as legitimate for Thor? It's a ridiculous DC Fantard notion meant to lowball Thor and that's the end of it.

Spider-Man (Must faster than Wolverine, with a Spider-Sense) is taken totally off-guard by Thor throwing him into space

No Caption Provided

Thor catches Zefra with ease

No Caption Provided

Thor moves at Microsecond speeds that is faster than Wolverine

No Caption Provided

Again, numerous, and I mean numerous scans that prove Thor's speed

You're wrong or lowballing, let's move on. If I see more speed lowballing I'm just gonna call it a day and write you up as a DC fantard.

Condensing a Star<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Star busting blows. Beta Ray Bill and Thor have destroyed that device that dwarfed stars before, and when Thor and Eric Masterson fought and their Mjolnirs clashed, it caused destruction second only to the Big Bang itself. Thor hitting the God-Bomb caused the stars to shake, not just nearby stars, THE stars, meaning the stars we see in the sky, which is a lot of stars and is lightyears out.

Four Mjolnirs clashed on top of Thor, and he was unphased. I think he's tanking blasts from Green Lantern.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone: Also, almost forgot, Thor fought the Disir who are blindingly faster than lightning and ripped them to shreds. Angela also fought them, and she was faster than multiple Disirs.

And let's see, one scan of Angela and Thor after he'd been fighting for a while, and another two scans of Thor fighting.... mortals... Who Thor holds back against. Including with his speed.

Thor has been repeatedly stated to swing Mjolnir FTL, that would mean he has to have FTL combat speed, and then there's the numerous times it's been clear Thor moves with lightning-like reflexes "He moves like the lightning he commands"

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thor.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawnone: Also, almost forgot, Thor fought the Disir who are blindingly faster than lightning and ripped them to shreds. Angela also fought them, and she was faster than multiple Disirs.

And let's see, one scan of Angela and Thor after he'd been fighting for a while, and another two scans of Thor fighting.... mortals... Who Thor holds back against. Including with his speed.

Thor has been repeatedly stated to swing Mjolnir FTL, that would mean he has to have FTL combat speed, and then there's the numerous times it's been clear Thor moves with lightning-like reflexes "He moves like the lightning he commands"

What issue is this in??? btw why do people think he can't move at FTL speeds,, he twirls that hammer FTL so obviously his body moves that fast... This all has to do with wolverine vs Thor and that writer answering that guys comment on his page. No one actually does the research themselves....

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By conner_wolf

@newecho: I think it's Siege: Aftermath. This is the fight.

Loading Video...

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: I think it's Siege: Aftermath. The Disir weren't visible, but Thor needed to draw the Odinsword to make them visible.

Loading Video...

cool,, thanks bro,,, I don't read angela but I did read her when she was in spawn.. I think I may pick up her after secret wars... I also am interested in how they will bring thor back...

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: No clue, I need to catch up with Secret Wars myself.

And I forgot to answer your second question:

a. People are stupid

b. Fanboys

c. Both

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: No clue, I need to catch up with Secret Wars myself.

And I forgot to answer your second question:

a. People are stupid

b. Fanboys

c. Both

Well people don't understand that thor fights whomever they need him too and will fight at the speed of that particular character.. If he fights logan then he will fight at that level but if he is fighting the likes of zefra or hyperion then he fights at that level... Plus the cartoons make him look like slow brick....

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: I'm doing a CaV tournament, just tagged you in it.

If you are interested in representing Thor then you get first dibs.

dorukesin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dorukesin1

Hal

DevilGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers