Hal Jordan and Martian Manhunter vs Cyborg Superman

TheHumanPorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheHumanPorch

Cyborg Superman has 3 rings, fight takes place on mars, morals off, who wins?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

The number of rings doesn't matter. It's a matter of will power. I give it to the team. 

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Emperorb777

Hal Jordan dies thats all that matters to me.

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KMART4455

The team totally wins.

@TheHumanPorch: Welcome to the Vine

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

manhunter solos

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By willpayton

@Dernman said:

The number of rings doesn't matter. It's a matter of will power. I give it to the team.

The number of rings does matter. More rings = more power.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dernman
@WillPayton: Not really it's been said numerous times you can't do any more with multiple rings as you can with one..It takes will and focus to use a ring which gets divided between each ring used if you use more then one. So it only pushes out the same amount as if you were using one ring. It doesn't multiply.
Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Hal and Jonn have this

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By willpayton

@Dernman said:

@WillPayton: Not really it's been said numerous times you can't do any more with multiple rings as you can with one..It takes will and focus to use a ring which gets divided between each ring used if you use more then one. So it only pushes out the same amount as if you were using one ring. It doesn't multiply.

This already came up in a previous thread about Hal using 10 rings, and I gave evidence that multiple rings do in fact give you more power. I can try to find it if you want... maybe a little later when I have more time.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By nickthedevil

Number of rings is irrelevant. Team takes this.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By willpayton

@WillPayton said:

@Dernman said:

@WillPayton: Not really it's been said numerous times you can't do any more with multiple rings as you can with one..It takes will and focus to use a ring which gets divided between each ring used if you use more then one. So it only pushes out the same amount as if you were using one ring. It doesn't multiply.

This already came up in a previous thread about Hal using 10 rings, and I gave evidence that multiple rings do in fact give you more power. I can try to find it if you want... maybe a little later when I have more time.

Actually I just found the post, here's what I said about wearing multiple rings...

No Caption Provided

@WillPayton said:

@BringnIt said:

Sure, assuming all the variables are the same, but my understanding is that each Lantern ring is the power supply and the strength of the constructs are limited by the willpower and ingenuity of the user. In most cases, it's the limitation of the lantern and not of the ring. Even if it is possible to simultaneously channel all the rings (in your analogy, firing ten bullets instead of one) what evidence is there to support that Hal is capable of such a thing?

Look at the picture in the OP... Hal isnt wearing 10 rings as a fashion statement.

The users willpower determines how much of the rings power can be accessed, and usually that limit is not reached. But, if you can access (for example) 90% of the rings power, then 2 rings would allow you to access 90% of each rings power... total of 180% of any single rings power.

As evidence look at Emerald Twilight, which is where the picture of Hal with the 10 rings comes from. When he fights Kilowog Hal says "You can't beat me Kilowog, you can see how I'm armed". After that he goes on to face off against Sinestro. Sinestro obviously knows he has no chance of winning and tries to get Hal to give up his advantage, he says... "Truthfully, I expected more from you, Jordan. Coming here, armed like that... not very sporting, is it? Makes my defeat a foregone conclusion." He then talks Hal into dropping all but one ring. Hal says, "I could give a damn, Sinestro. I really could. But I dont want any doubt in your mind. I want you to know that I defeated you... without any crutches."

I dont have the scans, but those are the quotes from Green Lantern issues #49 and 50.

The evidence is clear. Hal, Kilowog, and Sinestro all understood that multiple rings gave Hal even more power than he'd normally have. In fact, so much power that defeating Sinestro was "a foregone conclusion".

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dernman
@WillPayton: I read that issue and he wasn't getting extra power from multiple rings. He was crazed. All his power was coming from his emotion.  All that pic shows is him working multiple rings at the same time not that it was actually amping  his powers. 

It's why Green Lanterns don't bother creating another rings for themselves. It's why this guys was no more powerful then any other GL. 
Using more then one ring divides the will and focus that use to work the ring between them. That means less power per ring you add.
Using more then one ring divides the will and focus that use to work the ring between them. That means less power per ring you add.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Saren

Henshaw curbstomped Guy Gardner while using green rings, so I doubt his will is an issue.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By willpayton

@Dernman said:

@WillPayton: I read that issue and he wasn't getting extra power from multiple rings. He was crazed. All his power was coming from his emotion. All that pic shows is him working multiple rings at the same time not that it was actually amping his powers.

If you read what I quoted, it was acknowledged by Hal, Sinestro, and Kilowog that having multiple rings made him more powerful. That's not my opinion or guess as to what was going on, it's what they said. If you want to debate it you can take it up with the writers of Emerald Twilight.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dernman
@WillPayton: Don't need to there are the multiple times/things over the history of GL that contradict it.  Hell IIRC I'll have to go check that it was even contradicted in that very book.
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By willpayton

@Dernman said:

@WillPayton: Don't need to there are the multiple times/things over the history of GL that contradict it. Hell IIRC I'll have to go check that it was even contradicted in that very book.

Please let me know if you can find contradictory evidence. I have those books and dont remember anything that contradicts it, but it's been a while since I read them.

As far as why GLs dont just make more rings, it's probably because a GL ring isnt just a construct. It's a unique item made by the Guardians and filled with energy from the power battery. You cant just use a ring to make more rings and power them. If that was the case, they wouldnt need batteries to recharge, they could just constantly recharge themselves.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dernman
@WillPayton: The character I just showed you is one evidence.  IIRC in that issue that Kilowog confronts Hal and it's been years. He said something like I thought I taught you better then that. More rings do not give you more power. Then Hal said something like lets put it to the test. Yes Hal proceeds to take Hal out but that wasn't because of the rings. It was because he was better.   

The GLs always had a history of making rings. Hal did it back in the day several times. They didn't show it for awhile until  both with Kyle when he created his corps and Sinestro just recently. Before you say well that doesn't have all the ability that's because Sinestro purposely limited it. It's even in Hal's page about the duplicating rings ability.. The ring is only a tool that wields the power. That's why it need the power from the power battery. Regardless it still needs the users will and focus to use it.  If you are dividing your will and focus you are not going to get as much power out of each ring as if you would if you were just focusing on one.  

Edits: :/
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
I actually think Cyborg Superman wins here... I mean Green Lantern Hal Jordan and Martian Manhunter will give Hank all he can handle... but how will they really put him down ? I can't see it... 
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman
@King Saturn: Is Cyborg Superman's consciousnesses immune to telepathy? 
OP didn't say kill just who wins. Since he had been defeated before by Superman I don't see why combination of MM and Jordan couldn't so it.
Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

Henshaw was slapping around the ENTIRE Superman family at once, how are only two top league members gonna make the cut

PS: more rings = more constructs at once = more power, there is no division of will, the rings run on BATTERIES, more rings = more power PERIOD

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

manhunter solos
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By willpayton

@Dernman said:

@WillPayton: The character I just showed you is one evidence. IIRC in that issue that Kilowog confronts Hal and it's been years. He said something like I thought I taught you better then that. More rings do not give you more power. Then Hal said something like lets put it to the test. Yes Hal proceeds to take Hal out but that wasn't because of the rings. It was because he was better. The GLs always had a history of making rings. Hal did it back in the day several times. They didn't show it for awhile until both with Kyle when he created his corps and Sinestro just recently. Before you say well that doesn't have all the ability that's because Sinestro purposely limited it. It's even in Hal's page about the duplicating rings ability.. The ring is only a tool that wields the power. That's why it need the power from the power battery. Regardless it still needs the users will and focus to use it. If you are dividing your will and focus you are not going to get as much power out of each ring as if you would if you were just focusing on one. Edits: :/

The Hal/Kilowog conversation goes like:

Hal: "You cant beat me, Kilowog, you can see how I'm armed"

Kilowog: "didn't I teach ya nothing? It's the warrior, not his weapons"

Hal: "We'll see"

Then Hal proceeds to beat Kilowog fairly easily. The point is that if the rings didnt boost his power, Hal would have no reason to wear more than one. Also, Sinestro would have no reason to say to Hal what he said, "Makes my defeat a foregone conclusion". None of them would have a reason to say any of that. Surely Hal and Sinestro know how the rings work.

The ring doesnt work like you're describing. Yes, the user focuses the power, but I havent seen any evidence to show that more rings divide your focus. What would divide your focus would be doing multiple things at once. But, if you use all the rings for a single purpose, like say a single energy blast at a single target, it shouldnt matter. I always say the willpower of the user is like a valve on a water hose. More rings amount to more hoses tied together to the same valve. You open the valve half way, you get all the hoses half open.

If you're talking about making rings back in the Silver Age, that wouldnt count. Also, there's been plenty of Earth-threatening events that happen on a regular basis. If creating new rings was as easy as that, why wouldnt GL just make a whole bunch, give one to Batman while he's at it, every time there's a new super-powerful alien or whatever attacking? As far as Kyle or Sinestro making new rings for their corps, I dont have those comics so I cant tell what they did. If you have scans I'd like to see them.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By willpayton

@Ancient_0f_Days said:

PS: more rings = more constructs at once = more power, there is no division of will, the rings run on BATTERIES, more rings = more power PERIOD

This

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dernman
@WillPayton said:

Then Hal proceeds to beat Kilowog fairly easily. The point is that if the rings didnt boost his power, Hal would have no reason to wear more than one. Also, Sinestro would have no reason to say to Hal what he said, "Makes my defeat a foregone conclusion". None of them would have a reason to say any of that. Surely Hal and Sinestro know how the rings work.

The ring doesnt work like you're describing. Yes, the user focuses the power, but I havent seen any evidence to show that more rings divide your focus. What would divide your focus would be doing multiple things at once. But, if you use all the rings for a single purpose, like say a single energy blast at a single target, it shouldnt matter. I always say the willpower of the user is like a valve on a water hose. More rings amount to more hoses tied together to the same valve. You open the valve half way, you get all the hoses half open.

If you're talking about making rings back in the Silver Age, that wouldnt count. Also, there's been plenty of Earth-threatening events that happen on a regular basis. If creating new rings was as easy as that, why wouldnt GL just make a whole bunch, give one to Batman while he's at it, every time there's a new super-powerful alien or whatever attacking? As far as Kyle or Sinestro making new rings for their corps, I dont have those comics so I cant tell what they did. If you have scans I'd like to see them.

Hal wore the rings because he believed it would gain him more power but that doesn't mean it would. Something that didn't work hence why he needed the power battery, 
Sinesto was doing many things to mess with Hal's head, Like fake his death all so he would go to the battery and release Paralax. 
The evidence is in how the rings themselves work. Just the fact there are different power levels depending on the focus and will. It's going to get split not matter what if he is focusing though multiple rings 

Exactly they don't do it because they know multiple rings wont help amp their power. As far as giving rings to other people it doesn't always work because they don't have the right frame of mind. Look at the ring Hal made and gave to Green Arrow. GA struggled to even create one arrow and it wasn't from lack of will or focus. It's also frowned on giving rings to people who haven't been chosen by either Mogo or the Guardians.

As far as Sinestro I'm not talking about his corps. I'm talking about the GL ring he gave to Hal. The one Hal is using now. That's how he first got Hal to work with him after the Guardians took Hal's ring away. That is proof GLs can create rings.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dernman
@Ancient_0f_Days: No just no
jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeanroygrant

@nickthedevil said:

Number of rings is irrelevant. Team takes this.
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

The team can take this.