Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

HAL 9000 

(Only one version of HAL 9000 according to the novels/comics)

vs.   

Brother Eye

(Post-Crisis Version)

Both AI systems are fully in character, not bloodlusted.  The battle takes place in space above Earth.  There is no preparation time for either system.  Both systems are super-intelligent, technopathic, and omnilingual.  Each have control over electricity and electric disruption/interaction.  The gear available to HAL is all contained upon the USSC Discovery One, including three external observation pods, but no offensive weapons since the Discovery was only meant to be an interplanetary voyager.  For Brother Eye the gear is all contained within the MK-I satellite.  OMACs are discluded from the battle since both AI systems could essentially take control of the cybernetic-nanotechnology contained within each OMAC unit and gain an unfair advantage, making this simply a battle of wits between two supercomputers.  In other words, who can outthink and outwit the other?
drf4u5t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By drf4u5t

I really like this match up.  I have no freaking clue where to even start figuring out who would win though...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

Brother eye.
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

Draw with the settings. 

HAL if everything goes, since he has a ship he can ram into the satelite.

Avatar image for marveljackass433
MarvelJackAss433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarvelJackAss433

heh.Heard of Hal,but he wasn't all too impressive.He's the one in "A space Oddessy " right?

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MarvelJackAss433:
You are right, sir.  In all four Odyssey Books and both movies as a matter of fact.
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drf4u5t:
I know, right? I thought this battle up when I was reading Infinite Crisis, and the more I read Brother Eye's character, the more I came to conclude that the writers totally made him into an ersatz-HAL.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

What exactly is brother eye capable of aside from triggering the OMACS? 
it had obviously top noch surviellance system and was very stealthy,but how can it defend itself from an attack? 
as i recall,the JLA were quite easily able to get inside it. 
the more i think of brother eye ,the more pissed i get,talk about wasted potential.
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:
Well within the MK-I satellite we could can assume, from how it was written of course, that there are some external weapons to defend itself in case of an attack (i.e. tentacle cannons), so obviously conventional attacks could be of use.  As a technopath, Brother Eye has the same ability to control technology just as Hank Henshaw does, which was exhibited in its post-Crisis version in the OMAC Project as well as the Infinite Crisis. By implication it then has control over electrical impulsions and can cause electrical disruptions and reactions, thus giving it the potential to shut off the Discovery One should it want to ram head on into MK-I.  It could trigger the OMACs yes, but HAL would be able to counter that and corrupt the nanotechnology to control them as well. And like you mentioned it is a top notch surveillance system and could easily go undetected for long periods of time, which would give HAL a challenge in a space attack.  Think about it this way...its a question of wits in this battle. Who can outthink and outmaneuver the other and thus gain victory?
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis
@RedheadedAtrocitus:
Would you say HAL is smarter than batman?if so then HAL wins.
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:
Now that is a VERY good question! The entire premise behind HAL was that computers of the world of 2001 (HAL included) were theoretically capable of such great computational speeds that they could in effect take over every aspect of man's lives and handle day to day operations, whether it would be building maintenance, vehicle navigation or other endeavors.  Therefore HAL was capable of doing things like natural language processing (i.e. Omnilingualism), lip-reading and common-sense rationalization.  Purely science fiction of course since, obviously we're in the year 2011 and not even the most advanced computers of our time can even come close to matching HALs performance.  The thing is, all these traits I mentioned are practically the same for Brother Eye, who was created by Bats to be a surveillance system over the entire superhuman community leading up to the IC.  As for HAL being smarter than Batman, well, I'd say considering the reading material regarding Batman's intelligence compared to the reading material/movie material seen for HAL, I'd say it would definitely almost be a matchup akin to the testing of wits between Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis
@RedheadedAtrocitus:
Bother eye was pretty much batman's mind gone evil,bruce is the closest comparision.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Brother Eye. HAL is cool and all, but he isn't that powerful.

Also, I never understood why he didn't try to kill Dave after he got back on the ship.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan:

More or less it was because HAL was beginning to "feel better" once again.  The glitches he had been experiencing were starting to go away and he was "thinking" clearly again, the glitches being caused by HAL being forced to lie about the true nature of the mission.  The crew (Bowman, Hunter, Kaminsky, Kimball, and Poole) were under the impression that the mission was just a journey to the moons of Jupiter for some mundane reason, whereas HAL knew the true reason for the flight, which was to analyze and survey the large Monolith that was hovering above Jupiter.  If you want my personal opinion, I think HAL wanted Dave to know just what the true nature of the mission was just as he was being shut down so that Dave would not feel he was making a hasty decision. 
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AtPhantom
@entropy_aegis said:
" as i recall,the JLA were quite easily able to get inside it. the more i think of brother eye ,the more pissed i get,talk about wasted potential. "
If by easy, you mean "they had to recruit Blue Beetle to find the damn thing because it was hidden outside space and time", You'd be on to something. :P
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#16  Edited By Deadcool

This fight could be more interesting with Halman.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deadcool:
It would be...except it would be extremely mismatched since as Halman, HAL has the power of the Monolith at his fingertips then being bonded with Bowman.  He could destroy Brother Eye with any of a number of near godlike abilities and powers then.  Even a billion OMACs would not be able to stand up to such power then.