owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator
Hunter Rose (Grendel) vs Taskmaster.

Standard versions of both characters (no double-timing for Taskmaster).  Hunter has his electrified fork and Taskmaster is only armed with a sword.

I should note that while Hunter does not have photographic reflexes he is a prodigy and was noted as being able to pick things up extraordinarily quickly and without effort (being a world-champion fencer at 14, writing a best-seller book in 3 days, etc.)

Battle takes place in a college library at night, starting 20' away from each other in a 20x20' open area, near some stacks.  In character.  Win by any means.

EDIT: ROUND 2: They both have 6 hours of prep before meeting at the same location.

Grendel--Hunter Rose
Grendel--Hunter Rose

Taskmaster
 Taskmaster
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nelomaxwell

Task master. I've read and own every appearance of hunter Rose. His skill is magnificent. However, task master has a number of styles under his belt. Eddie can only win this by shocking him after taking him by surprise and even that will be hard from what I've seen of TM. If this was any other street leveler Even cap I'd say Eddie has a shot, but the problem is if they're in a straight fight Eddie loses. However his heightened agility, reflexes and intellect could get him a victory if he had prep. I mean he embarrassed batman. Nice thread though.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Nelomaxwell said:
Task master. I've read and own every appearance of hunter Rose. His skill is magnificent. However, task master has a number of styles under his belt. Eddie can only win this by shocking him after taking him by surprise and even that will be hard from what I've seen of TM. If this was any other street leveler Even cap I'd say Eddie has a shot, but the problem is if they're in a straight fight Eddie loses. However his heightened agility, reflexes and intellect could get him a victory if he had prep. I mean he embarrassed batman. Nice thread though.
Glad you like it.  Looks like we're into some of the same things, I saw your Tim Hunter thread yesterday and then found your Grendel/Cap thread when I was making this one.  Anyway, I agree that Taskmaster is probably a better fighter than Rose.  And while Grendel's fork is electrified, Taskmaster's heavy broadsword would shatter the fork if they crossed blades.  But on the other hand Rose is much smarter, intellectually but I would also guess tactically also.  So I thought perhaps he could take advantage of the environment here.  For instance library bookshelf rows are usually pretty thin, so the lithe Grendel could maneuver in them pretty easily, whereas the more heavily-built Taskmaster would have a harder time battling in there.  I could see Hunter leading him on a chase in the shelves, then sticking his fork through the shelves from one row to another, electrocuting him.  It's a little speculative, but possible.

But anyway I think you might be right, a prep round is in order, so I've edited the OP.
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nelomaxwell

I think IF Hunter fought like  Nightwing or a Daredevil or another marvel street leveler he could have a chance problem is he only ever fought thugs, Argent and Batman before he died so he doesn't have many showings.

If Hunter has prep then he can win this.@Owie:

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Nelomaxwell said:
I think IF Hunter fought like  Nightwing or a Daredevil or another marvel street leveler he could have a chance problem is he only ever fought thugs, Argent and Batman before he died so he doesn't have many showings.

Yeah, for me Hunter is stuck between the twin poles of his fights with Argent and Batman.  In his Batman fight, he acquitted himself very well.  In the Argent fight, not only did he lose, but I've never been impressed with Argent as an antagonist/fighter.  He lets his temper get the better of him, his skills don't seem particularly amazing, and his physical stats aren't very high either.  It would be one thing if Argent was at the level of, say, Puma.  Then Hunter could lose to him with grace.  But I feel like Argent is more like the level of Vermin, and that's not someone all that impressive to die in combat with.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Grendel wins the awesome. Taskmaster sadly wins the fight :(

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Owie said:
@Nelomaxwell said:

Yeah, for me Hunter is stuck between the twin poles of his fights with Argent and Batman.  In his Batman fight, he acquitted himself very well.  In the Argent fight, not only did he lose, but I've never been impressed with Argent as an antagonist/fighter.  He lets his temper get the better of him, his skills don't seem particularly amazing, and his physical stats aren't very high either.  It would be one thing if Argent was at the level of, say, Puma.  Then Hunter could lose to him with grace.  But I feel like Argent is more like the level of Vermin, and that's not someone all that impressive to die in combat with.
You also have to remember that was a set up. Stacy wanted him to die and the details of that fight were never quite covered. Personally I've emailed Wagner about a Hunter Rose ongoing, no reply of course but still I think he'd need a sequential series to expound on his abilities.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I would so be onboard for Grendel to start again.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Crom-Cruach: Word.  The should go back into the mystic origin of the Grendel and its trans migratory nature. And how it got to Eddie.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I agree

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Strider1992

Good fight. I'm leaning towards TM due to the amount of skills he's copied but then again Grendal is pretty bad-ass. I'm going to go with TM due to that reason and a few previous feats but this is close (says the guy with the Taskmaster avatar lol).

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Crom-Cruach said:

Right on.

@Nelomaxwell

said:

You also have to remember that was a set up. Stacy wanted him to die and the details of that fight were never quite covered. Personally I've emailed Wagner about a Hunter Rose ongoing, no reply of course but still I think he'd need a sequential series to expound on his abilities.

Well, it was a set up but Argent wasn't in on that fact, so it should have been a pretty straight fight.  They also seemed evenly matched in earlier brief encounters.

@Crom-Cruach: Word.  The should go back into the mystic origin of the Grendel and its trans migratory nature. And how it got to Eddie.

Word indeed. BTW how did you guys like the Black white and Red issues?  They seemed a little weaker to me.
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@owie said:

@Crom-Cruach

said:

Right on.

@Nelomaxwell

said:

Well, it was a set up but Argent wasn't in on that fact, so it should have been a pretty straight fight. They also seemed evenly matched in earlier brief encounters.

@Crom-Cruach: Word. The should go back into the mystic origin of the Grendel and its trans migratory nature. And how it got to Eddie.

Word indeed. BTW how did you guys like the Black white and Red issues? They seemed a little weaker to me.

Didn't see this. They were okay, I think they did more to expound on his criminal activity then his abilities. as for the fight I think lo his first fight with Argent was a good showing.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

@Nelomaxwell

said:

Well, it was a set up but Argent wasn't in on that fact, so it should have been a pretty straight fight. They also seemed evenly matched in earlier brief encounters.

@Crom-Cruach: Word. The should go back into the mystic origin of the Grendel and its trans migratory nature. And how it got to Eddie.

Word indeed. BTW how did you guys like the Black white and Red issues? They seemed a little weaker to me.

Didn't see this. They were okay, I think they did more to expound on his criminal activity then his abilities. as for the fight I think lo his first fight with Argent was a good showing.

Yeah, actually looking back at the B/W/R and R/W/B series, there were a couple other decent fights with Argent where Hunter seemed to definitely be on top.

By the way:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/drizzt-vs-grendel-hunter-rose-1479894/#1

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/crossbones-vs-grendel-hunter-rose-1472458/#8

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/shredder-vs-grendel-hunter-rose-1476272/

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/black-tarantula-vs-pellon-cross-from-grendel-1482654/

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/ogun-vs-tujiro-xiv-from-grendel-1483378/#1