Gorilla vs Lion

Capital-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lion. Male silverbacks are often killed in fights with leopards, which are much smaller than lions. A 500 lb African lion would beat any species of gorilla.

Avatar image for serpinethegreen
serpinethegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By serpinethegreen

@perethorn:

I realise this was two years ago, but King Kong is just a big ape. Aslan is essentially God. So your points kind if stupid.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: A lion is that strong too. The gorilla only has a slight strength advantage.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omaeka: Gorillas aren't that strong. They evolved to be able to protect themselves while lions evolved to kill prey larger than themselves. Gorillas are the same size or smaller than lions. The only way a Gorilla would win is if it was smart enough to pin the lion down and bit its brain stem, which I doubt it is.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By APEX_pretador

lion destroys.

EDIT:
lions are stronger, faster, more equipped, more durable, HEAVIER & have higher fighting skills than gorilla. A closer match will be jaguar vs gorilla.

Also, lions have >> muscle mass % than gorillas, even upto 1.5 times.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@static_shock: A lion is that strong too. The gorilla only has a slight strength advantage.

An average adult gorilla's upper body strength is about six times more powerful than that of humans. I've seen no sources that confirm a lion is just as strong.

http://seaworld.org/animal-info/animal-infobooks/gorilla/physical-characteristics/

Even then, having a slight strength advantage means the lion is weaker (and there's nothing to suggest the advantage in strength is as close as you've suggested). You contradicted yourself in the same post.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, gorilla doesn't have the strength advantage, not even slight.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: Lions take down animals that are multiple times bigger than themselves or gorillas.... Were they using imaginary strength to do that? I highly doubt a gorilla could do anything to a full size buffalo. Gorillas aren't meant to take down large prey like lions, that will cost them the match.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: It depends what muscles. Lions have stronger legs, but Gorillas have a stronger bite force and forearm strength for grabbing. But like I said before the Lion would win because it evolved for millions of years to kill and the gorilla didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gorilla would literally break the lion. Not too worried about speed when strength and intelligence are vastly superior in the

orilla's favor.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Overmonitor

Any Gorilla who isn't stupid would win. Let the lion clamp down and literally rip its jaw apart. Way too much upper body strength and leverage and brains for the Gorilla. They also fight all the time in the wild for dominance or for territory wars.

Alpha Silverback should stomp. There are probably humans that have killed a lion H2H.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: but gorillas have much less muscles than lions.

Lions have single digits body fat percentage (5-6%) and skeletal muscle compromises over 60% of their body weight (Davis, 1962)

Gorillas at best (as in a male in prime physical condition) have body fat percetages of 7-8% but muscle mass is only 46% of their weight (Zilhman et al., 2011).

The data from Davis (1962) came from a female lion weighting 131kg, over 82kg of which was muscle. The silverback mentioned by Zilhman et al. (2011) weighted 172kg of which less than 80kg was muscle.

See the difference. This is muscle mass, a lioness beats peak condition silverback, or is at least equal when gorilla is 1.5x her size.

Now, substitute a male lion & then you'll see the difference. That is all completely ignoring the other factors like weapons.

How can this be? if its not the fat then why is the gorilla so far behind? well, gorillas are herbivores so they are always carrying fermenting plant matter in their guts, this inflates their weights in the same way as weighting a carnivore that had just gorged itself, in hippos for example, 25% of their weight is stomach contents (Pienaar et al., 1966).

This makes up the difference.

Avatar image for breakingthrones
BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what an animal expert posted in response to this question on another site. I'm not 100% sure it is legit but see for yourself:

Expert: Jonathan Wright - 3/19/2007

Question

What would happen if a fully grown silverback gorilla fought a fully grown male lion?

Answer

Dear Kendall

Thanks for your question. This is an impossible question to answer as it assumes that both a gorilla and a lion would react instinctively and in the same way if they met. It assumes no individuality nor intelligent behaviour on the part of either animal. You are also assuming that a gorilla and lion would automatically fight if they saw one another. This assumes that a gorilla is incapable of reasoning and is inferior to a human. Do you fight with every person, or other animal you meet? Why should a gorilla? Or a lion for that matter?

You should note that the gorilla is one of the most intelligent animals on the planet and has recently been found to use tools. Each gorilla would probably react differently on seeing a lion.

It is unlikely that a gorilla would encounter a lion in the wild, as lions live in more open habitats than do gorillas. I can only guess what the most likely scenario would be, as there are a lot of 'ifs' in this scenario. I would guess that if a gorilla felt threatened by a lion, it would go through its threat routine, such as beating its chest and calling loudly, to intimidate the lion. If the lion ran away, the gorilla would probably chase it. I think that the lion would stay where it was and that the gorilla would run away into the rain forest. If the lion ran after the gorilla, I think the lion would be more likely to win any battle that ensued. I don't think that the lion would enter thick rain forest, though, so the gorilla would probably escape.

All the best

Jonathan

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By APEX_pretador

@static_shock: @morleericks: @overmonitor:No gorilla stands a chance against a male lion, a lioness will win the majority against silverback. See my previous post above regarding muscle mass, then consider weapons like claws, teeth , fighting skill, killer instincts etc.

This is what an animal expert posted in response to this question on another site. I'm not 100% sure it is legit but see for yourself:

Well I've visited this site a few times before, & one of the so called "experts" actually admitted that gorillas are wayyyy overrated on this site, and that was recent. So, most of the answers on the site will not be legit.

BUT, i'm not sure about this one, and infact I agree with the answer given here.

Also, I'd like to suggest you to rather visit carnivoraforum.com for animal battle discussions, as most of the posts there will actually be based on scientific evidence.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gorilla = Bane, lion = Batman
gorilla = Bane, lion = Batman

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: 1. You realize muscle mass doesn't equal strength... I have seen a skinny guy who weighs 150 pounds bench over 400 pounds. I have seen large bodybuilders who can't do that much.

2. I keep telling you I think the lion would win, I don't see why you keep arguing.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: You realize muscle mass doesn't equal strength... I have seen a skinny guy who weighs 150 pounds bench over 400 pounds. I have seen large bodybuilders who can't do that much.

Really? that's a HUGE feat for that guy, is he world's strongest man for his weight? That'll be close to world record for that 150 lb guy (a world record is less than 500lb).

Also, humans vary vastly among themselves as compared to animals. Most humans can't bench their own weight. Plus lions have double the muscle mass than gorillas, as i stated, and their strength is vastly overrated. (not saying they aren't strong, & their ability to use strength > lions)

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By youmessinwithme

Alright A) lions in the Wild get way bigger than gorilla's so it'd be kinda weird for them to be the same size.

B) silver back Gorillas have been know to kill and be killed by Leopards, which are smaller than Gorilla's and far far smaller than lions.

C) Lions Can run a lot faster than Gorillas and like I said weigh more, so even if a Gorilla is "stronger" as some people have claimed a Lion actually generates way more force.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C) Lions Can run a lot faster than Gorillas and like I said weigh more, so even if a Gorilla is "stronger" as some people have claimed a Lion actually generates way more force.

No, he isn't.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By youmessinwithme

@youmessinwithme said:

No, he isn't.

that's why it's in quotations and posed with the word "even If"

Like I said as far as I know scientifically lions muscles produce more powerful contractions as far as I know.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lion.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By APEX_pretador
BarelyAverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion wins folks. I know we're rooting for our animal cousin but the big cat is too aggressive, has razor sharp claws, is an adept fighter. Strength advantage goes to gorilla but like the old saying goes, "don't need to be stronger than you, just strong enough to hurt you". The lion is clearly strong enough to take down a gorilla, watch them hunt, you'll see.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: @morleericks: @overmonitor:No gorilla stands a chance against a male lion, a lioness will win the majority against silverback. See my previous post above regarding muscle mass, then consider weapons like claws, teeth , fighting skill, killer instincts etc.

I read it. Muscle mass doesn't necessarily equal strength all of the time, which is why I was asking for a figure of an average lion's strength. Either way, I concede. You and @alextheboss said something about lions being better equipped to take down larger animals. I also read that gorillas are usually very gentle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul:

I saw a gorilla one shot a leopard on animal face off.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gorilla breaks the lion's back

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion wins folks. I know we're rooting for our animal cousin but the big cat is too aggressive, has razor sharp claws, is an adept fighter. Strength advantage goes to gorilla but like the old saying goes, "don't need to be stronger than you, just strong enough to hurt you". The lion is clearly strong enough to take down a gorilla, watch them hunt, you'll see.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read it. Muscle mass doesn't necessarily equal strength all of the time, which is why I was asking for a figure of an average lion's strength. Either way, I concede. You and @alextheboss said something about lions being better equipped to take down larger animals. I also read that gorillas are usually very gentle.

While somewhat agree, the difference in muscle mass is too huge to ignore.

Also , I have to admit gorillas can use their strength better, & while they lose this match, they will definitely cause a lot trouble for the lion. Nice to see you read post (i hate those who just debate without reading posts).

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By pipxeroth
cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: They both have a shot at winning. The lion has more muscle mass and sharp claws, but the gorilla has the reach advantage. It can use its long arms and hands to keep the lion away from its vital organs and head, and pummel it or crush it. Unfortunately the lion is too fierce and strong for this to work a majority of the time.

So the lion takes a majority, but the gorilla is not completely outclassed.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: Yes you are right. The only reason I think the lion is going to win is because of its weapons and its nature. I do think if they are they same weight the gorilla would be a little stronger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: That's really impressive, I'm 5' 8", 2.7 % bodyfat, that should be my goal weight.. Even if it's going to be a ways to that.

Flyingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llehdevil: that guy used to go to my gym. I'm also 5' 8". I weight around 155 and bench 270. My goal is to get to 200 pounds and bench 405.

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gorilla's can lift up to 2090 kg. Even if the lion has speed and agility on his/her side, the gorilla can just pick up the lion as soon as it gets close enough and smash it against the ground. Or maybe he breaks his back Bane style.Or pops his head Gregor Clegane style. Gorilla for the win!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dre_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion wins. It's a predator. Hunting and taking down animals is in its genetics. The lion is more agile and has the mane protecting its neck.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SirNeko

@dre_savage said:

Lion wins. It's a predator. Hunting and taking down animals is in its genetics. The lion is more agile and has the mane protecting its neck.

Saying Lion is more agile than a Silverback is like saying 1 baby is more agile than another baby. Lions mostly hunt on open fields. They are fast not agile, a leopard is agile. Lions don't have to be agile to hunt, Gorillas aren't agile because they don't have to.

OT: If I had to put my money, I would probably put it on the Gorilla just because he is so much stronger it ain't even funny.

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually i did some more research and this fight is a lot like the gorilla vs leopard fight done by Animal World. Yes leopards are different compared to lions, but not bye that much. In fact, they both use their claws and teeth to fight/hunt. They also have the same or at least very close types of senses. Just look up the fight, see how it ends and just think if it would really be different if you replaced the leopard with a lion.

Dre_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko:

Fighting intellect vs problem solving intellect is different. Gorillas are smarter, yes, but you wouldn't replace a college professor for a Spartan on a battlefield, right?

The gorilla's bite is impressive. In fact, I didn't know it was that strong. The thing is, biting through the lion's mane will be a problem.

The strength is the BIG key. A blow from a gorilla is no joke. That, or if the gorilla is able to flip the lion on its belly. A blow to the spine or a bite to the underbelly could be fatal, hands down.

The thing that keeps me in the lion's corner is that it is used to fighting- not just for territory or a mate, but for food. Lionesses do a lot of work, but lions aren't all just about waiting for the ladies to bring them food. They've taken down Cape buffalos, which are bigger, have horns, more ferocious and stronger than gorillas. They don't do it often (especially solo), but it does happen. A lion going for the neck kill on a gorilla sounds a lot more realistic coming from a predatory assassin compared to the gorilla sinking it's teeth in a lion.

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko:

The thing that keeps me in the lion's corner is that it is used to fighting- not just for territory or a mate, but for food. Lionesses do a lot of work, but lions aren't all just about waiting for the ladies to bring them food. They've taken down Cape buffalos, which are bigger, have horns, more ferocious and stronger than gorillas. They don't do it often (especially solo), but it does happen. A lion going for the neck kill on a gorilla sounds a lot more realistic coming from a predatory assassin compared to the gorilla sinking it's teeth in a lion.

Actually this is a mistake everyone keeps making. The gorilla's primary defense is it's arms. It would try to beat the lion to death before it tries to bite him. In fact, while the gorilla's bight is incredibly strong, it's not meant to tear through meat like lion teeth. Also unlike the buffalo, gorillas have extremely long arms and aposable thumbs. The buffaloes die because the lions latch on and the buffaloes cant get the cat off. A gorilla could easily grab and probably pull off the lion.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sionistheboss: @sirneko: @dre_savage:

Lion is much stronger than gorilla. Read my post #113. Lion is just more limited in movement, but its paw swipe >> strongest gorilla attack.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SionistheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sionistheboss: @sirneko: @dre_savage:

Lion is much stronger than gorilla. Read my post #113. Lion is just more limited in movement, but its paw swipe >> strongest gorilla attack.

This is far from true. I'd like to see your source on that, because it makes no sense. A lion's attacks are no where near as powerful (strength wise) as a gorilla's. also, the paw swipe isn't that much better than a gorilla's attack. A gorilla has far better arm strength, longer attack range and can actually grab things. Lions have deadly claws but not much else about their paw swing is better than a gorilla's attack.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: JUST BECAUSE A LION HAS A HIGHER MUSCLE MASS % DOES NOT MEAN ITS STRONGER. When you can show me a lion lifting a car or rippinf metal sinks out of walls like its paper, then we can talk.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Mentioned in the post
  2. Yes they are. They are capable of breaking back of vastly larger animals than gorilla (which are also vastly robust)
  3. Arm strength- no, Attack range - no , ability to grab- yes, but useless when your opponent is above your strength class.
  4. Thicker bones, MUCH more muscle, agility, flexibility & designed to be more effective than gorilla at striking.