Gorilla vs Lion

TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TigerWarrior

Me and my bro were having a huge debate over this - Silverback Gorilla vs African Lion - I say lion

BOTH  WEIGH  500  POUNDS

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By D3athstroke

Lion

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ssejllenrad

I go with Magilla... Snagglepuss is gay... :D

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The Mango

Tough choice, if this is open grassland I'd say lion. If it's forested or thick brush I'd say gorilla.

It's very close though.

TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TigerWarrior

The Lion has multiple advantages over the gorilla: 

- Faster 
- Sharp Claws & teeth 
- More agile 

The gorilla also has some advantages

- Smarter then cat 
- More Stanima 
- higher bite force 

Vote for lion !

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Lion, they do kill Gorillas in the wild, so the cat has already proven himself over the ape.

jlavengerx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jlavengerx77

Depends on where it is.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

depends on which one starts it

spiderpigbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By spiderpigbart

If the lion charges quick enough, it would take out the gorilla.  However, if the gorilla gets a hold of the lion's head, it could possibly break the lion's neck.  I give it to the lion 70-30.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whacknasty

I think the gorilla's strength and intelligence make for a dangerous combination (I've read about large gorillas being able to snap 2inch thick tempered steel bars with no problem)...  The lion's speed is probably his greatest asset in this, combined with his claws... I'd still go with the gorilla.  I'd think he would be smart and agile enough to avoid a throat bite from the lion, and if he could land a punch, that should be adequate enough to shatter the lion's bones.  As long as he doesn't get gutted by the claws... 

Ronyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ronyc

This is no contest really.Gorillas can lift up to 2k lbs and a grown male Lion is about 500 lbs...That would be like me lifting 8 year old.I know that this is not a benching contest but it shows that the Gorilla is much more stronger for its size.Also - hands .. so yeah 

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LT1085
 Not EXACTLY the same but pretty damn close... 

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By jumpstart55

If the lion goes for the windpipe its all over,that is of coarse  Unless the  gorilla cruses its skill first.

OldIdiotAccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By OldIdiotAccount

Lion.

TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TigerWarrior
@joshmightbe said:

"depends on which one starts it "

they both see eachother at the same time, angry 

@Ronyc

said:

"This is no contest really.Gorillas can lift up to 2k lbs and a grown male Lion is about 500 lbs...That would be like me lifting 8 year old.I know that this is not a benching contest but it shows that the Gorilla is much more stronger for its size.Also - hands .. so yeah   "

Lions are stronger than gorillas. 

the only reason why a Gorilla can lift 2 ton is because it has a human like hand  -  If a lion had thumbs I could see a big male lifting 2 tons  -  Grip is more important then power

@jlavengerx77

said:

"Depends on where it is. "

In a 30 ft by 30 ft cage

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LT1085
@TigerWarrior:  Saying ridiculous sh!t doesn't make it anything even close to being true...FAIL.
biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By biggkeem89

This all depends on location and circumstance. A lion hunts using speed and stealth. In a grassland the lion would have a distinct advantage. It would just hit hard and fast, disorient the gorilla, and its over. However, if in a more treelined area, the gorilla could shine. The lion's camoflage(don't know if thats spelled correctly) would be useless. If the gorilla gets the highground, it can kill the lion. If the gorilla can attack the defenseless back of the lion, its over. Or it can crush the lion's skull. In the treelined area, the ability to climb and grapple give the gorrila the advantage. And actually in terms of strength, Lions are about 10 to 15 times stronger than a human, while a gorilla is about 8 to 20 times stronger than a human, so they are pretty close in brute strength(though the lion has more muscle mass used for dragging),

Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Braise

Just a couple of facts:
- Gorillas are really strong. There are actual cases of Gorillas bending tempered steel to get out of their cages, back in the 50s. There's also footage of gorillas snapping banana trees in half.
- Gorillas are pretty fast (reflex-wise). A 350 lb male gorilla jumped over a 14 ft moat in his pen, back in 2000.
- Gorillas are densely muscled. Depending on which gorilla your going with, some weigh upwards 800lbs.

Problem is, however, that gorillas typically don't fight nor do they have the hunting prowess lions have.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Aronmorales
@The Mango said:
" Tough choice, if this is open grassland I'd say lion. If it's forested or thick brush I'd say gorilla.  It's very close though. "
Ditto.
TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TigerWarrior
@Braise said:
"Just a couple of facts: - Gorillas are really strong. There are actual cases of Gorillas bending tempered steel to get out of their cages, back in the 50s. There's also footage of gorillas snapping banana trees in half.- Gorillas are pretty fast (reflex-wise). A 350 lb male gorilla jumped over a 14 ft moat in his pen, back in 2000.- Gorillas are densely muscled. Depending on which gorilla your going with, some weigh upwards 800lbs.  Problem is, however, that gorillas typically don't fight nor do they have the hunting prowess lions have. " 

first of all, a lions muscles extremely powerfull, that is can knock out a zebra or buffalo simply using it's limbs - I like to see a gorilla do that! 

And the largest gorilla on record was 638 Lbs - the largest lion was 826 lbs

@LT1085 said:

" @TigerWarrior:  Saying ridiculous sh!t doesn't make it anything even close to being true...FAIL. "

give me one good reason why 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By sexy_merc

If the lion doesn't blitz, he is going to get one-shotted.

Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Braise
@TigerWarrior: Actually, Phil the gorilla, from the St. Louis Zoo, was said to weigh 388 kilograms (860 lb).
TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TigerWarrior
@Braise said:
" @TigerWarrior: Actually, Phil the gorilla, from the St. Louis Zoo, was said to weigh 388 kilograms (860 lb). "

That was a captive gorilla, they are rather fat because they do not have the space to burn the calories off. A captive lion was said to be 930 lb (422.5 kg) he was probably obese as well 

But I think you forgot the main point 

A lion is a fighting predator 
A gorilla is a passive vegatarion.
Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Braise
@TigerWarrior: I really don't think the largest lion weighed that much. And I'll continue thinking so, unless you provide proof otherwise.
And you actually never specified whether or not the specimens in question were found in the wild or not; you just gave me a general statement (lions weigh more than gorillas).
And I'm not forgetting anything, I actually stated in my first post in this thread that the lion is a predator, while the gorilla isn't, and thus has an advantage.
Also, lions rarely face buffalo one on one. In fact, cape buffalo are known to gore lions, if ever faced 1-to-1.
daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daak1212

Physcilly a gorrila would win but they are passive and vegitarians and I love gorrilas.  Lions are predatorial animals and they are carnivores.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Ferro Vida

Sadly, this has been done before.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Ferro Vida said:
" Sadly, this has been done before. "
When? Isn't this the original Gorilla vs Lion thread?
Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ferro Vida
@Decoy Elite: Nope. There was one several months ago. I remember because someone posted scans of a lion and a gorilla fighting in a comic.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Ferro Vida: I remember that, but I can't find it on the search.
Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ferro Vida
@Decoy Elite: Which is too bad, because those scans were hilarious
TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TigerWarrior
@Braise said:

" @TigerWarrior: I really don't think the largest lion weighed that much. And I'll continue thinking so, unless you provide proof otherwise.
And you actually never specified whether or not the specimens in question were found in the wild or not; you just gave me a general statement (lions weigh more than gorillas).
And I'm not forgetting anything, I actually stated in my first post in this thread that the lion is a predator, while the gorilla isn't, and thus has an advantage.
Also, lions rarely face buffalo one on one. In fact, cape buffalo are known to gore lions, if ever faced 1-to-1. "

Actually, on average a male lion is both heavier and stronger then a gorilla - according to Big cat experts Peter Jackson:  a captive lion weighed 423 kilograms (930 pounds).     here is the proof:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/greatcats/expert/expert_1.html   

860 lbs vegitarion VS. 930 lbs predator - hmm, who will win?  

70 lbs might not seem like a lot, but that is still 70 lbs of solid muscle 

What else do you have?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By NightFang3

Lion wins - He's the king of the jungle!

Avatar image for fortified_hooligan
Fortified_Hooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lion, no problem. 

Lions are killers, gorillas are dominance fighters, who go for the beat-down. 

That lion is going to snatch his neck, clamp down and watch the gorilla go to sleep.
AworkofArt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AworkofArt123

Depending on the gorilla, it is estimated that full grown it can lift anywhere from 2,000-4,000 lbs. Plus as you mentioned it has one of the most powerful jaw bites in the world. I say the gorilla if they came at each other at the same time. The lion would have to have a sneak attack in order to have an advantage at this I think.

Avatar image for the_mjolnir_wielder
The Mjolnir Wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sexy Merc said:
"If the lion doesn't blitz, he is going to get one-shotted. "
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Primmaster64

lion

NickA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NickA

The Lion one shots the Gorilla
ClydeJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ClydeJohnson

A lion would win
Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Braise
@TigerWarrior said:
" @Braise said:

" @TigerWarrior: I really don't think the largest lion weighed that much. And I'll continue thinking so, unless you provide proof otherwise.
Also, lions rarely face buffalo one on one. In fact, cape buffalo are known to gore lions, if ever faced 1-to-1. "

Actually, on average a male lion is both heavier and stronger then a gorilla - according to Big cat experts Peter Jackson:  a captive lion weighed 423 kilograms (930 pounds).     here is the proof:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/greatcats/expert/expert_1.html    860 lbs vegitarion VS. 930 lbs predator - hmm, who will win?   70 lbs might not seem like a lot, but that is still 70 lbs of solid muscle  What else do you have?  "
How do you know? The link you gave states that a captive lion weighed that much. That extra 70 lbs of weight could be added fat. There are people that weigh 1,000 lbs, but just because they weigh more than your average lion doesn't really mean they can kill 'em with their bare hands. So it really doesn't prove anything.
And as I mentioned before, a measly 200 pound gorilla would routinely tear open the steel bars of his cage to escape, back in the 50s. Gorillas are built differently, muscle-wise. You get a big gorilla, and it wouldn't surprise me if he could rip off a lion's jaw.

Anyhow, I made my points before, no need to repeat them. The lion should win more often then not.
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lagoon_boy
Again...a gorilla's physical attributes should be a huge advantage, since it can actually grab more effectively then the Lion.
TigerWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TigerWarrior
@Braise said:
" @TigerWarrior said:
" @Braise said:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/greatcats/expert/expert_1.html    860 lbs vegitarion VS. 930 lbs predator - hmm, who will win?   70 lbs might not seem like a lot, but that is still 70 lbs of solid muscle  What else do you have?  "
How do you know? The link you gave states that a captive lion weighed that much. That extra 70 lbs of weight could be added fat. There are people that weigh 1,000 lbs, but just because they weigh more than your average lion doesn't really mean they can kill 'em with their bare hands. So it really doesn't prove anything.
And as I mentioned before, a measly 200 pound gorilla would routinely tear open the steel bars of his cage to escape, back in the 50s. Gorillas are built differently, muscle-wise. You get a big gorilla, and it wouldn't surprise me if he could rip off a lion's jaw.  Anyhow, I made my points before, no need to repeat them. The lion should win more often then not. "

Phill, the 860 lbs gorilla in Sint Louis was also a captive one - At equal weights, cats have more muscle mass than any other land mammal, making them pound for pound the strongest land creatures on earth (disclude insects and spiders)  

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Darkseid Elite

yup if the lion goes for the gorillas neck it's pretty much over, but i think a gorilla could pull it off. gorillas can lift 10x more then a man. probably could break the lions jaw if hes quick enough
kagetaicho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kagetaicho
@Darkseid Elite said:
"yup if the lion goes for the gorillas neck it's pretty much over, but i think a gorilla could pull it off. gorillas can lift 10x more then a man. probably could break the lions jaw if hes quick enough "

one gorilla lifted 20x more than the average man and on average can run at 30 mph. I say Gorilla 8/10. Lions are somewhat faster but strength wise the Gorilla owns. Even a tiger is not as strong as the typical male gorilla.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vrakmul
@Darkseid Elite said:
" yup if the lion goes for the gorillas neck it's pretty much over, but i think a gorilla could pull it off. gorillas can lift 10x more then a man. probably could break the lions jaw if hes quick enough "
Leopards regularly hunt and kill gorillas.  The strength of the gorilla is vastly overrated. 
Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@Dreadnaught said:
@Darkseid Elite said:
" yup if the lion goes for the gorillas neck it's pretty much over, but i think a gorilla could pull it off. gorillas can lift 10x more then a man. probably could break the lions jaw if hes quick enough "
Leopards regularly hunt and kill gorillas.  The strength of the gorilla is vastly overrated. 
Wait, Leopards get Gorillas by SURPRISE, a Leopard can't take down a fully grown Silverback Gorilla.
virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By virgin4life

Gorilla easily... yall dudes are nuts for saying Lion

You just prefer Lions more rather than being realistic

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By TheGoldenOne
Gorilla.
Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'd say The Lion. Whilst The Gorilla may be Stronger, The Lion's Faster, and has deadly Claws.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Static Shock

Gorilla. The lion has no answer for it's strength.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lion.