Geralt (The Witcher) vs The Witch King (LoTR)

Sethlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sethlol
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Rules

• Third Age Witch King (Book Version) with a mace and sword.
  • Geralt from TW2 with standard set of equipment.
  • 15 feet away from each other.
  • No mounts.
  • No magic or supernatural hax; purely physical fight.
  • No interference
  • Location- Pellenor Fields
  • To the death.
  • The concept of only a "woman" to beat the WK is nonexistent in this fight.
KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By KingOfAsh

Unless Geralt is a woman he won't win. The Witch King can't be killed by a man. Or something like that.

No offence to Geralt.

Sethlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sethlol

@KingOfAsh:

Hm maybe I should edit the whole "women" concept in this battle.

dontevenblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i think Geralt has him beat physically and skill wise. very cool fight though!

even with the rules ignored, i'd probably still go with Geralt.

pateuvasiliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pateuvasiliu

Geralt wins stomps. The thing with the witch king only being killed by a woman is:

1. Wrong. Glorfindel said '' no man '' can slay the Witch King. That means Human, not literally male. The Witch King had a strong magic around himself which no man could break. Merry's sword was enchanted and it disabled his shield. Geralt has freaking magic, silver swords, bombs, Yrden, Moon dust. Not a problem.

2. Geralt is hardly a human.

Geralt's much faster than Eowyn and Eowyn managed to not get smashed to bits. The Witch King is slow. His screech is a song to Geralt's ears.

I'd hazard a guess and say Geralt could defeat all the Black Riders. Yrden turns ghosts material so their spectral form won't mean shit. If Aragorn can handle them with a torch Geralt won't have any issue fighting them all.

XioKenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geralt wins stomps. The thing with the witch king only being killed by a woman is:

1. Wrong. Glorfindel said '' no man '' can slay the Witch King. That means Human, not literally male. The Witch King had a strong magic around himself which no man could break. Merry's sword was enchanted and it disabled his shield. Geralt has freaking magic, silver swords, bombs, Yrden, Moon dust. Not a problem.

Geralt's much faster than Eowyn and Eowyn managed to not get smashed to bits. The Witch King is slow. His screech is a song to Geralt's ears.

I'd hazard a guess and say Geralt could defeat all the Black Riders. Yrden turns ghosts material so their spectral form won't mean shit. If Aragorn can handle them with a torch Geralt won't have any issue fighting them all.

This.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haoalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xiokenji said:
@pateuvasiliu said:

This.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xiokenji said:
@pateuvasiliu said:

This.

^

Geralt wins effortlessly

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice said:
@haoalchemist said:
@xiokenji said:
@pateuvasiliu said:

This.

^

Geralt wins effortlessly

this but he could get surprised in battle... since he doesnt drink potions in a middle of a fight.

Yup
Yup

But srsly..Geralt wins this.

haoalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator
@cpt_nice said:
@haoalchemist said:
@xiokenji said:
@pateuvasiliu said:

This.

^

Geralt wins effortlessly

Glorfindel said:

"Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."

In Lord of the Rings, 'man' in lower-case means male, whereas 'Man', upper-case, means human. so in fact, Glorfindel did mean no male will kill him, not a human.

However, this statement is often misinterpreted, this does not mean he cannot be killed by a man, it simply means he won't be, he does not have some protective ward that prevents men from killing him. It was simply a prophecy, Glorfindel meant was that his death will come at the hands of a woman, not that only a woman can kill him. Therefore there is no reason that a man could not kill TWKoA.

However, the sword which Merry used to stab The Witch King, was made specifically to combat him, as they were forged by the men of the Westernesse who had fought him long before, the sword was made to weaken him, so equating it to other magical swords is somewhat fallacious, especially a silver sword, TWK had no aversion to silver. Any normal sword which struck him would shatter and kill the wielder with black shadow, he even seemed to be on par with Gandalf the White, though the two never actually come to blows.

I've only played The Witcher 3, so I can't say decisively who'd win this, but my gut tells me Geraly loses in a random encounter, but with prep and knowledge, he could win.

However given the rules of the OP that there is no magic involved whatsoever, Geralt definitely wins, he's much better fighter.

pateuvasiliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pateuvasiliu

The Witch King on Gandalf's level? Lmao, not even close. The Witch King is a strong pawn of a Maiar ( Sauron ). Gandalf -is- a Maiar.

He's tiers above him. He already defeated the Balrog ( another Maiar ) in his inferior state. As Gandalf the White he could take on all the Nazguls if he so pleased, but he is bound by his duty. Gandalf's goal isn't to defeat evil, it's to help the people of Middle Earth defeat it. The Istari are comparable in power to Sauron. Had the 5 of them started a crusade of total annihilation against Sauron from the start and used their full powers Sauron wouldn't stand a chance.

As for the Witch King vs Geralt, the Witch King was defeated by a specially enchanted blade made by humans. Geralt doesn't use enchantments, he outright uses magic/signs. I doubt the Witch King can withstand fire, considering the Nazguls ran from it. The whole power of the Nazgul came from their spectral form which made them impossible to slay with conventional weapons. Yrden turns specters solid.

There's also oil

''There is a mysterious boundary between the worlds of the dead and the living, one which is easier to cross for restless specters than for humans. To injure a spectral opponent, first anoint a blade with this oil. Only then will the weapon truly part the curtain dividing the worlds, thereby damaging the specter.''

In the end if Geralt simply can't harm him he'll just disarm him and kick him into the sea. He's so above him combat skills wise that he'd probably be able to do that with minimal risk.

@rogueshadow

''While I can't confirm or deny your argument that '' man '' is male and '' Man '' humanity it's my view that in that specific wording ''man'' refers to humanity.

He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall.''

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@pateuvasiliu: I'm not saying TWK has the direct feat of fighting Gandalf, I'm saying that Tolkien was definitely building that up to be a battle of note, a fully powered Witch King could take on Gandalf in my opinion, though ultimately lose. He called Gandalf a fool and didn't fear fighting him in the least, not trying to suggest that's a full feat for this battle, just that it should be taken into consideration. It's worth remembering that both times TWK is at his peak, he is being amped by Sauron, which is what I'm assuming this is, rather than when he was in a heavily weakened state such as in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Yes, if the Istari broke their promise to Eru and all attacked Sauron, they would defeat him, although I'm not sure how that is relevant, it's not exactly news that 5 unrestrained Istari >>>> One weakened Maiar. I don't get the point about signs, like I said, the Barrow blades were specifically made to combat TWK and Nazgul, so to the assumption that signs will work on him doesn't really follow, TWK had powerful sorcery of his own, outside of his inherent powers like black shadow and invulnerability to most swords, I think Geralt would need a sword on Anduril's level to harm him if the battle involved full magic levels, which isn't part of his standard equipment and I don't know if he's ever had one.

Google it, 'Man' is the race, 'man' is the gender, I'm sure it will come up somewhere.

Yes, in this battle, magic is off, so Geralt can just cut his head off quite easily... as I said in my original post.

askujdnakjsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geralt wins