Gandalf vs albus dumbledore

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The two are given 1 day prep to find any magical spells, objects

Battle is in requirement room with no external help .who wins ?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

dumbledore

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumbledore.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spider-ManWins

from what ive seen ,gandalf isnt that good.

this means spider-man wins

edit: lol i meant dumbledore

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kavma: Is this Gandalf the White? if so, id say he wins. In the films he destroyed Sarumans staff by just saying "your staff is broken" and Gandalf likely has better reaction time then Dumbledore as he deflected an ax & arrow at close range from two of the most skilled warriors (Gimli & Legolas) then super heated aragorns sword.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This battle lacks the necessary specificity for me to comment.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gandalf is overrated and barely has any showings. Dumbledore has shown some great combat potential in his fights with Voldemort so in my opinion.

If Dumble can get the Elder Wand he kinda stomps.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kavma: Is this Gandalf the White? if so, id say he wins. In the films he destroyed Sarumans staff by just saying "your staff is broken" and Gandalf likely has better reaction time then Dumbledore as he deflected an ax & arrow at close range from two of the most skilled warriors (Gimli & Legolas) then super heated aragorns sword.

Which scene did this happen in? I just looked through it and could not find Gandalf breaking Sarumans staff. And deflecting projectiles like one arrow and an axe isn't that impressive. Even Umbridge deflected several arrows fired from Centaurs with ease, and she is nothing compared to Dumbledore.

Pierpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
@vashtanerada88 said:

Which scene did this happen in? I just looked through it and could not find Gandalf breaking Sarumans staff. And deflecting projectiles like one arrow and an axe isn't that impressive. Even Umbridge deflected several arrows fired from Centaurs with ease, and she is nothing compared to Dumbledore.

You didn't look through the extended edition, i fear.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Klaus

@pierpat: Since the scene did not make it into the normal version of the film, would it then not be considered in canon with the films?

Pierpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@pierpat: Since the scene did not make it into the normal version of the film, would it then not be considered in canon with the films?

Extended versions are canon, if commercialized.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Klaus

@pierpat: Ah I see. It seems like an OK feat, however its not really impressive. Dumbledore casts powerful spells all the time without uttering a single word.

Edit; Just watched the scene on Youtube. The more impressive feat was Gandalf being unaffected by Sarumans fire, however the breaking the staff scene seemed the same as any Rowling wizard casting a spell. Like when Snape destroyed the snake with two words.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gandalf is a more powerful being, but he doesn't posses the kind of power that let's you win actual battles. Dumb old door wins.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not seen anything from Gandalf that would make me think that he beats Dumbledore. I've never really been impressed with his magic to be honest.

I love the character but I'm just not seeing this as a good fight.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VashtaNerada88

@klaus: In the same scene prior to destroying the staff, he TANKS a fireball directly (fired by Saruman, who is insanely powerful, likely even more so than Dumbledore), and neither Gandalf nor Shadowfax are hurt. Dumbledore may be a superior wizard compared to Umbridge but he has never shown that kind of reaction speed. (magic skill & reaction speed are different)

what would stop Gandalf from destroying his wand or super heating it?

and what showing does Dumbledore have with damage soak? Gandalf was smashed through the top of Isengard Tower and lived. He also fell COUNTLESS miles into the earth fighting the Balrog and survived the fall to eventually beat the Balrog.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VashtaNerada88

@cregan_stark: @nickras:Also Gandalf (the grey) had a wizard dual with Saruman not only in Isengard; but they were attacking/defending against one another when the fellowship were trying to pass through the mountains around Moria, they were casting spells/incantations that had effect hundred's of miles away and Saruman was able to shake mountainsto cause an avalanche. When Gandalf comes back as Gandalf the White he clearly states that he is equal to, if not greater, than Saruman. I don't remember Dumbledore EVER doing anything even close to mountain level. The harry potter books/movies emphasize light shows and a bit of pyrotechnics nothing really more than that, and Gandalf would have zero trouble with any fire/flame Dumbledore could throw at him as he had little with Sarumans fireball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88: Powerful beings in LotR don't really demonstrade their powers in ways that could be classified as "mountain level" or stuff like that. Don't know about you, but when first read Fellowship of the Ring, the thought that Saruman and Gandalf are somehow "mountain level" or in general able to somehow destroy mountains or stuff like that never crossed my mind. The fact that you have to artificialy look at the things that happen in the book as "feats" and evaluate them as such to come up with the powerlevels probably mean that they don't work like that. But hey, debate with whatever facts make it fun for you.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88: there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that Dumbledore or any other wizard in Harry Potter could cause that Avalanche. Causing an avalanche isn't near as impressive as you might think.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gandalf when he cut loose, ignored a fall from a mountain, proceeded to fight non stop for more than a week , climbed back up a peak, and fought in a fire hot enough to turn said peak to steam , creating a thunderstorm as a side effect of said battle that could be seen all the way from Lorien while the fight took place in Moria, and ultimately slew a beast that was shattering enchanted doors with mere *words* and proceeded to destroy the side of a mountain with its fall

Having said all that, there is no way around the killing curse , which bypasses durability , cannot be blocked and isnt neutered by " love" in the scenario

Gandalf is not reaaly fast enough to break Albus' wand when he can teleport for fun, or turn invisible or whatnot, and even then Albus has feats for immobilizing people while wandless ( though this would not necessarily work on Gandalf given his own feats)

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VashtaNerada88

@cregan_stark: @nickras: I didn't say destroy, Saruman manipulated the weather and shook the mountain to cause an avalanche from Isengard. Has Dumbledore done anything as impressive/powerful? and if so when have they done it?

still doesn't address Gandalfs superior damage soak & reflexes (as I stated in post # 15)

Gandalf is also in possession of Narya, one of the rings of power.

and Dumbledore would not use the Killing curse or any for that matter, he never has and it would be totally out of character

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh just noticed the prep bit. With it, Dumbledore's odds improve further. Gandalf hasnt reaally done anything with prep while Albus can actually significantly improve his power level with a day of prep

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Dumbledore would definitely win. That is of course if he does have the elder wand. If not then I'm not sure.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elder wand solos

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VashtaNerada88

@cregan_stark: ok. what's a feat of Albus using magic over long distances(hundreds of miles) or any wizard in HP for that matter? Or able to tank a fireball from the Wizard that shook a mountain from hundreds of miles. Basically what impresses you so much about Dumbledore? why do you feel he is above Gandalf???

@nickras: being able to shake a mountain/fight a balrog/free fall for miles and still fight/tank sarumans fire is the power I'm talking about.

"Powerful beings in LotR don't really demonstrade their powers in ways that could be classified as "mountain level" or stuff like that"

Gandalf doesn't demonstrate his power because he acts more so as a muse for the humans rather than a defender/leader but he does have that kind of power. perhaps I am missing your point.... I'm not saying Gandalf is a casual mountain buster(punching/breaking landscapes with his staff) but Saruman shook the mountains around the High pass to force the fellowship to go into Moria and Gandalf the white is superior to him.....

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While we are talking about Gandalf and " busting" , it should be noted that the balrog whom Gandalf killed , ultimately crushed the side of a mountain, if not the whole mountain with his fall

Gandalf being able to create a thunderstorm that was visible at least dozens of miles away while being at the centre of said event at a temperatue enough to turn snow to steam ( after a fall down a mountain and a week of non stop fighting ) also puts him rather closer to the "mountain buster" range than otherwise

This again, helps him not at all against the killing curse

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegrayghost: yes but would using one of the 3 forbidden curses be in character for Albus? I've only made it to book 4 in HP....has he ever used any of them on someone?

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88: No he hasnt

But then you are otherwise arguing that Gandalf will be going all out , at Balrog crushing maia levels, as opposed to his straight up order not to so , not to make it a war between the " powers", to the extent of nearly getting killed by a bunch of goblins because of this and otherwise noting he might not win against the far lesser Lord of the Nazguls....but for some reason Albus wouldnt be trying his hardest, at overwhelming Grindelwald WHILE he possesses the Elder Wand levels, and yes trying his hardest would include the use of the killing curse and whatnot

We already know Albus is no saint, by the end of book 7 and was at one point perfectly willing to kill...anyone who got in the way of his dream

So yep, when both fight at max powers Albus wins, especially with prep

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VashtaNerada88

@thegrayghost: THANK YOU, you've made solid points/arguments...and with that being said, I concede that the end result would be as you say...although before walking away from this.. Has anyone survived the killing curse? (other than Harry) I mean, I thought that things of magical nature like giants/dragons etc. were more resilient to magical attacks; like Hagrid. Would Gandalf being a Maiar help at all? its been years sense ive read the lord of the rings; I know I'm stretching here, just needed to be sure B4 condemning my favorite wizard to defeat =p

ValarMelkor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Dumbledore would probably get stomped by a Balrog so Gandalf wins due to beating a creature that crushed a mountain with his fall. By implied power also Gandalf stomps. Killing curse probably wouldn't work since Valar, and Maiar are technically immortal and he would just come back stronger.

pateuvasiliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gandalf stomps. He isn't allowed to show his true power in Middle Earth. He's no human. He made Saruman's staff shatter, he'll turn Dumbledore into dust.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: In the same scene prior to destroying the staff, he TANKS a fireball directly (fired by Saruman, who is insanely powerful, likely even more so than Dumbledore), and neither Gandalf nor Shadowfax are hurt. Dumbledore may be a superior wizard compared to Umbridge but he has never shown that kind of reaction speed. (magic skill & reaction speed are different)

I dont know why you even brought this up considering I was the one who first mentioned the feat of Gandalf not being affected by Sarumans fire in this thread. And prove Saruman is more powerful than Dumbledore.

Also Albus doesn't need to use normal fire. He can use everlasting fire, or the insanely powerful Fiendfire which can destroy anything.

what would stop Gandalf from destroying his wand or super heating it?

Aside from the numerous counter spells Dumbledore has? And let me reverse that, whats to stop Dumbledore from using Accio to call Gandalfs staff to him, or confringo to destroy it.

and what showing does Dumbledore have with damage soak? Gandalf was smashed through the top of Isengard Tower and lived. He also fell COUNTLESS miles into the earth fighting the Balrog and survived the fall to eventually beat the Balrog.

Why would he need damage soak feats when Gandalf wont get a chance to physically hit him? Not to mention the fact that Albus can teleport, turn invisible, fly etc. And how does Gandalf counter Avada Kadavra which cannot be blocked with spells? And since there is prep, liquid luck will greatly help dumbledore.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGrayGhost

@vashtanerada88: It wouldnt help . The ONLY and I cant stress this enough, only survivor of the killing curse ever was Harry

Yes Dragons and giants are resilient to spells but so are many wizards, see the duel in book 5, where several death eaters break free of the spells cast by harry and his friends

The key difference here is, none of them are the killing curse, which is unique in that it cant be blocked and the conditions for harrys survival were pretty extreme and cannot be recreated imo

Not only because it was just " love", but also because Harry was a horcrux , voldemorts soul was already stretched to breaking point, the phoenix wand was the brother wand of harrys and so on

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

I'd say Dumbledore. The only Lotr movie I've seen is the first Hobbit movie and there Gandalf seems like a regular steer leveler whereas Dumblefore's fight with Tom was very impressive

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegrayghost: No,,,i kinda knew that, just wanted to be certain it was only Harry. I've only made it to the goblet of fire(books) I seen the rest on film so I know there are obviously things that ive missed, just needed clarification. Dumbledore would win, especially with time to prepare =/

Avatar image for super_saiyan_devil
Super_Saiyan_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel as though Gandalf has some more impressive feats. I'll go with Gandalf. As long as he's white. LOL.

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kavma

With prep he can use the time tunner to give himself all the time he needs