#1 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Who'd win?

#2 Posted by King Saturn (223730 posts) - - Show Bio
Darth Sidious wins...

Learn To Use the Darkside of the Force...
#3 Posted by High Revolutionary (3166 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf.  Curbstomp.

#4 Posted by King Saturn (223730 posts) - - Show Bio
High Revolutionary said:
"Gandalf.  Curbstomp."
What can Gandalf do to the Old Geezer ?
#5 Posted by High Revolutionary (3166 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"High Revolutionary said:
"Gandalf.  Curbstomp."
What can Gandalf do to the Old Geezer ?"
Just about anything he wants.
#6 Posted by DJ Diesel (1594 posts) - - Show Bio

definately taking the emporer here. He had a couple very poor showings, choosing to focus almost entirely on force lightning, but the force is MUCH broader and more powerful than that. If used properly, it should rule Gandolf

#7 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf is a Maiar, which means he is a lesser god. He was put on Middle Earth to combat Sauron. He is supposed to help men and elves by spreading knowledge. Although he helped he probably could have done much more but he wasn't there to win he was there to guide.

My point is that he is lesser god and should be able to defeat Palpatine. I don't think Palpatine could take the Balrog.

#8 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm....as far as physical combat Sidious (at points when he's young enough to do so), is literally a beast with a Lightsaber. Gandalf simply wouldn't be able to hang with him, and as for the force, while he didn't really show off as much in the movies (w/ the exception of ROTS) in the comics and books he used some of the most powerful and exotic force powers we have seen yet. Gandalf's biggest offensive move seen to date was calling down the lightning...which i don't think would affect Sidious to much. He may be Maiar, but his physical form can die, and i think Sidious has what it takes to kill him.

#9 Posted by the Vica (1967 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidious uses Force Lightning, doesn't mean REAL lightning wouldn't hurt him... I honestly think Gandalf could take him out in one blow.

#10 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

The Emperor is cool and all, but he would not know how to handle Gandalf's Magic.  I don't think Sidius could penetrate Gandolf's Magic Shield that he used to defend against the Balrog.  That alone puts The Emperor at a great disadvantage.

#11 Posted by Larfleeze (726 posts) - - Show Bio
Tevnoba said:
"The Emperor is cool and all, but he would not know how to handle Gandalf's Magic.  I don't think Sidius could penetrate Gandolf's Magic Shield that he used to defend against the Balrog.  That alone puts The Emperor at a great disadvantage."

Perhaps he just waits for him to stop using it?

Sidious was the most powerful of the sith lords he can beat Gandalf.
#12 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
the Vica said:
"Sidious uses Force Lightning, doesn't mean REAL lightning wouldn't hurt him... I honestly think Gandalf could take him out in one blow."

If you follow the books, once you've learned how to manipulate Force Lightning, they normally have no trouble applying the skills to real lightning (on the rare occasion it happens)
#13 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
jloneblackheart said:
"Gandalf is a Maiar, which means he is a lesser god. He was put on Middle Earth to combat Sauron. He is supposed to help men and elves by spreading knowledge. Although he helped he probably could have done much more but he wasn't there to win he was there to guide.My point is that he is lesser god and should be able to defeat Palpatine. I don't think Palpatine could take the Balrog."
you never know, the Balrog is probably weak minded so the Emperor could use a Force Mind Trick and tell the Balrog to kill itself or stand still so he can kill it himself. 
#14 Posted by Push (1552 posts) - - Show Bio
Moomin123 said:
"jloneblackheart said:
"Gandalf is a Maiar, which means he is a lesser god. He was put on Middle Earth to combat Sauron. He is supposed to help men and elves by spreading knowledge. Although he helped he probably could have done much more but he wasn't there to win he was there to guide.My point is that he is lesser god and should be able to defeat Palpatine. I don't think Palpatine could take the Balrog."
you never know, the Balrog is probably weak minded so the Emperor could use a Force Mind Trick and tell the Balrog to kill itself or stand still so he can kill it himself. "

The Balrogs are far from weak minded, they're actually like Gandalf, they're Maiar! Sauron actually feard them at some point cause he knew he couldn't control them!
#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

this fight is ridiculous. Thee universes are so different. I will say I like Gandal a 1000000000000 times more than Palpatine.

#16 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf

#17 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
Push said:
"Moomin123 said:
"jloneblackheart said:
you never know, the Balrog is probably weak minded so the Emperor could use a Force Mind Trick and tell the Balrog to kill itself or stand still so he can kill it himself. "
The Balrogs are far from weak minded, they're actually like Gandalf, they're Maiar! Sauron actually feard them at some point cause he knew he couldn't control them!"
Okay then...the Emperor knows how to use telekinesis, so he could make the rocks on the ceiling fall on the Balrog, therefore killing it. Or he could choke it or something.
#18 Posted by the Vica (1967 posts) - - Show Bio
Larfleeze said:
"Tevnoba said:
"The Emperor is cool and all, but he would not know how to handle Gandalf's Magic.  I don't think Sidius could penetrate Gandolf's Magic Shield that he used to defend against the Balrog.  That alone puts The Emperor at a great disadvantage."
Perhaps he just waits for him to stop using it?Sidious was the most powerful of the sith lords he can beat Gandalf."
No he wasn't.
#19 Posted by SuperGamera (565 posts) - - Show Bio

YOU CANNOT PASS!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio
Moomin123 said:
"Push said:
"Moomin123 said:
"jloneblackheart said:
The Balrogs are far from weak minded, they're actually like Gandalf, they're Maiar! Sauron actually feard them at some point cause he knew he couldn't control them!"
Okay then...the Emperor knows how to use telekinesis, so he could make the rocks on the ceiling fall on the Balrog, therefore killing it. Or he could choke it or something."

Drop rocks on the Balrog? When the Balrog fell off the bridge, he fell for miles. And he still got up again to fight Gandalf. Sideous could not fight the Balrog. Gandalf the Grey could beat Sideous. Gandalf the White would curbstomp him.
#21 Posted by Colossus666 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok first of all, u guys got to remember this is Gandalf the WHITE not the gray.  He 10x more powerful then what he use to be. 

#22 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9311 posts) - - Show Bio

gandalf...curbstomp.SLAUGHTERHOUSE!!!!!!!FATALITY!!!!!!!!

#23 Posted by Golden Goliath (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf could just do to Sideous what he did to Saruman in the books.

Gandalf points at Sidious

Your lightsaber is broken!

Sideous's lightsaber snaps in half

#24 Posted by Mr.SlippyFist (7 posts) - - Show Bio

What gandalf says doesnt come to pass, he couldn't say "your saber is broken" and it would happen. Also His powers consist of talking to animals, minor telekinisis and blinding the Nazgul. What would he do to a lord of the sith? his staff would be cut with a light saber, so would his sword, he would be destroyed by the sheer power a dark lord of the sith has at his disposal. Just becuase Gandalf is a lesser god doesnt mean he has much to use. He would get a smiley, period

#25 Edited by the Vica (1967 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr.SlippyFist said:
"What gandalf says doesnt come to pass, he couldn't say "your saber is broken" and it would happen. Also His powers consist of talking to animals, minor telekinisis and blinding the Nazgul. What would he do to a lord of the sith? his staff would be cut with a light saber, so would his sword, he would be destroyed by the sheer power a dark lord of the sith has at his disposal. Just becuase Gandalf is a lesser god doesnt mean he has much to use. He would get a smiley, period"
If you don't want to read the books, just watch the extended version of Return of the King. Hell, search for it on Youtube if you want. Gandalf simply spoke the words 'Saruman! Your staff is broken!' and it broke. And he managed to do that against another wizard. As Sidious is not a wizard, it would be even easier to do.

For God's sake, just watch Gandalf the GREY fight the Balrog and tell me Sidious has done anything anywhere NEAR that impressive.

EDIT: Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLK1q1ooZf8

Can't believe they cut such an awesome scene...
#26 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna spite you all and say Palpatine.

#27 Posted by Mr.SlippyFist (7 posts) - - Show Bio

it was more then just gandalfs power that allowed that to happen, the gods had abandoned sauromon, his power became weaker and gandalf outranked him, sauroman was no longer the white wizard, his staff was virtually show at that point. even without a lightsaber id still vote for sidious, he has more power. The power of the force

#28 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.SlippyFist said:
"it was more then just gandalfs power that allowed that to happen, the gods had abandoned sauromon, his power became weaker and gandalf outranked him, sauroman was no longer the white wizard, his staff was virtually show at that point. even without a lightsaber id still vote for sidious, he has more power. The power of the force "

It's spelt Saruman. The way you spell it looks as if Saruman and Sauron have merged...that would be sweet!
#29 Posted by SSGL1 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

gandalf curbstomp

#30 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf takes this in a clean sweep.

#31 Posted by Slowpokeking (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidious won easily, his Force Storm can wipe fleets in a few secs, drain life energy from millions and wipe out billions' memory.

#32 Posted by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

This

#33 Posted by mR_Bentastic22 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Dumbledore with the elder wand smashes both... avada kadava!?

#34 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

If its Movie Sidious, then he loses.

EU Sidious wins easily. I believe that this has been done before too.

#35 Posted by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

lol Gandalf would murk Dumbledore...

#36 Posted by Sethlol (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

EU Sidious owns Gandalf completely.

Movie Sid gets owned.

#37 Posted by Slowpokeking (64 posts) - - Show Bio

If we take both movies, why Sidious loses? He killed 3 Jedi Masters in like 5 seconds. The strongest feature Gandalf showed in the movie was trying so hard to defeat a Barlog.

#38 Posted by ShootingNova (15264 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie Palpatine vs. Movie Gandalf: Palpatine wins, quite easily.

Movie Palpatine vs. Book Gandalf: Depends. Morals on, possibly Gandalf if he makes it before Sidious stops taunting. Morals off, Sidious should win.

EU Sidious vs. any version of Gandalf: Mismatch thread of the week.

#39 Posted by Baldy (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

This

Stop trolling.

In what possible way could Gandalf defeat Sidious? This is a huge mismatch in Palpatine's favor.

#40 Posted by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

You're the one that's trolling Baldy, stop being a SW fanboy for once...

You obviously don't know how powerful Gandalf the White is..

#41 Posted by Picard (982 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting battle! If we are using movie versions of both characters, I would put my money on Gandalf - especially if we are taking LOTR extended cut, into account. Most impressive thing Palpatine ever did in the movies was to shoot lightning and - by using telekinesis - throw few heavy things at Yoda. On the other hand Gandalf displayed variety of magic abilities like: Isthari light that can blind his opponents, ability to heat up metal to high temperatures just by looking at it ( he use it to force Aragorn to drop his sword ), ability to summon lightning ( he used it to kill Balrog ) , telekinesis and ability to create , magic shields ( he use it to effortlessly protect himself againt Saruman's fireball), so we at least know that Gandalf can protect himself against energy based attacks, Palpatine can't do it. Some of more impressive Gandalf's moments:

#42 Posted by Baldy (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus said:

You're the one that's trolling Baldy, stop being a SW fanboy for once...

You obviously don't know how powerful Gandalf the White is..

I know exactly how powerful Gandalf is, because unlike you I've read the books. Your main defence of Gandalf always comes down to the fact that he has come back from death, which isn't even a feat for him because it was Eru that saved him. But here's the catch... Palpatine has done the exact same thing multiple times, and guess what, he didn't need anyones help.

#43 Edited by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

No, unlike you, I actually know about Gandalf the white. I suggest you watch the extended versions where Gandalf does things far more impressive then Sidious does...and read the books further, one thing I had forgotten among his other great feats is that unlike Sidious, Gandalf can protect himself from energy based attacks as picard provided. I have the normal LOTR films not the extended versions which shows more stuff from the books. All Gandalf has to do is say your light saber is broken and it's busted, then it comes a battle of Force lightning vs. Gandalf's magic which I'm sure is superior. Besides Gandalf as I've told you before can also summon lightning of his own(clear proof you ignore things or failed to understand the balrog fight)

I never even said anything about coming back from death but obviously he's far more durable and has better feats then Sidious such as killing a balrog while falling thru fire and water as he quotes himself. Yeah, palpatine never died and came back, humor me...he died by getting tossed over an edge by a dying Vader. Not even close...

#44 Posted by Owie (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

EU Sidious has more extensive and impressive "on panel" feats. Gandalf is powerful, but doesn't really show it off, so it's hard to say what his upper limit is. I think it's a pretty close match. But EU Sidious would be way faster physically and potentially mentally, and Gandalf hasn't shown any obvious defense against force choke or Sidious' level of TK in general. And while Gandalf is a pretty good swordsman, he's got nothing on Sidious there. I'm giving Sidious 6 out of 10.

#45 Edited by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf can defend against other powerful magical attacks, creating a shield around Saruman's fireball is impressive so why can't he defend against Sidious tossing something? I'd even go as far as to say Gandalf is a better fighter given what I've seen from both and technically the Force isn't even considered "magic" Gandalf isn't just a swordsman, he's wise, ageless and uber powerful. He just doesn't go all out half the time. Gandalf the white wins here 8/10 as far as I'm concerned. Everytime Sidious is in a topic with movie versions people go back to EU Sidious...well book Gandalf has done FAR more then on screen versions too so...overall still going Gandalf.

#46 Posted by MasterJohn (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus said:

Gandalf can defend against other powerful magical attacks, creating a shield around Saruman's fireball is impressive so why can't he defend against Sidious tossing something? I'd even go as far as to say Gandalf is a better fighter given what I've seen from both and technically the Force isn't even considered "magic" Gandalf isn't just a swordsman, he's wise, ageless and uber powerful. He just doesn't go all out half the time. Gandalf the white wins here 8/10 as far as I'm concerned. Everytime Sidious is in a topic with movie versions people go back to EU Sidious...well book Gandalf has done FAR more then on screen versions too so...overall still going Gandalf.

Thing is, Mother Talzin of the night sisters would PROBABLY beat Sidious, and Vader.

#47 Edited by Vaeternus (9387 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterJohn said:

@Vaeternus said:

Thing is, Mother Talzin of the night sisters would PROBABLY beat Sidious, and Vader.

That's a good point, the witch of powerful Dark Magic prior to clone wars arch would most likely defeat both of them. So I don't think it's crazy to assume Gandalf The White can manage..

#48 Posted by MasterJohn (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus said:

@MasterJohn said:

@Vaeternus said:

That's a good point, the witch of powerful Dark Magic within the clone wars arch would most likely defeat both of them. So I don't think it's crazy to assume Gandalf The White can manage..

Speaking of that..

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/the-nightsisters-vs-darth-sidious/698947/

#49 Edited by Baldy (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus said:

No, unlike you, I actually know about Gandalf the white. I suggest you watch the extended versions where Gandalf does things far more impressive then Sidious does...and read the books further, one thing I had forgotten among his other great feats is that unlike Sidious, Gandalf can protect himself from energy based attacks as picard provided.

The movies arn't canon. Please provide a canon example.

I have the normal LOTR films not the extended versions which shows more stuff from the books.

The movies are actually not very accurate, but then you'd know this if you'd read the books, which you quite obviously havn't.

All Gandalf has to do is say your light saber is broken and it's busted

Wrong. Saruman's staff broke because his color was removed, he was kicked out of the Istari. His staff breaking was a side effect of his loss of power. Vader isn't a member of the Istari, and as such, this tactic won't work. It's also completely pointless, as Gandalf will be dead before he can blink.

Gandalf's magic which I'm sure is superior. Besides Gandalf as I've told you before can also summon lightning of his own(clear proof you ignore things or failed to understand the balrog fight)

More proof that you don't know what you're talking about. Gandalf didn't summon lightning in the fight with the Balrog. He has used lightning bolts before, but not to very impressive effect.

I never even said anything about coming back from death but obviously he's far more durable and has better feats then Sidious such as killing a balrog while falling thru fire and water as he quotes himself. Yeah, palpatine never died and came back, humor me...he died by getting tossed over an edge by a dying Vader. Not even close...

The death to Vader wasn't even his first death.

@Owie said:

EU Sidious has more extensive and impressive "on panel" feats. Gandalf is powerful, but doesn't really show it off, so it's hard to say what his upper limit is. I think it's a pretty close match. But EU Sidious would be way faster physically and potentially mentally, and Gandalf hasn't shown any obvious defense against force choke or Sidious' level of TK in general. And while Gandalf is a pretty good swordsman, he's got nothing on Sidious there. I'm giving Sidious 6 out of 10.

This isn't remotely close. It's a complete curbstomp. Palpatine could one-shot Gandalf in any number of ways all at a respectable fraction of light speed, Gandalf wouldn't even be able to react to him.

@Vaeternus said:

Gandalf a better fighter than a Palpatine? Yeah, the guy that owned Mace is going to lose to a guy with no fighting skill feats. I laugh in your general direction.

@MasterJohn said:

@Vaeternus said:

That's a good point, the witch of powerful Dark Magic prior to clone wars arch would most likely defeat both of them. So I don't think it's crazy to assume Gandalf The White can manage..

Palpatine would utterly curbstomp her.

#50 Posted by ShootingNova (15264 posts) - - Show Bio

Several of these user's arguments are abysmal. Mainly because they lack sufficient knowledge of both sides, and seem to be incapable of ceasing to fanwank. I ask you guys (you know who you are) to kindly desist from this.

On-topic, Palpatine obliterates Gandalf. Honestly, Gandalf is better off against a padawan.