#1 Posted by jumpstart55 (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

VS

#2 Edited by jumpstart55 (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

Who takes it?

#3 Posted by kingpin1 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by jumpstart55 (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (14382 posts) - - Show Bio

couldn't magic just nullify elemental manipulation...

#6 Posted by jumpstart55 (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Are you referring to energy bending?

If so Gandalf cant bend energy, at least not in the way they do in Avatar.

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (14382 posts) - - Show Bio
@jumpstart55 said:

@cattlebattle said:

this is exactly why I posted in the form of a question...magic is just one gigantic dues ex machina ability, I have no idea whether he would be "energy bending" or just inhibiting an ability...on the other hand, I have no idea what Gandalf can do besides plummet down a hole and survive a prject bright lights
#8 Edited by jumpstart55 (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@jumpstart55 said:

@cattlebattle said:

this is exactly why I posted in the form of a question...magic is just one gigantic dues ex machina ability, I have no idea whether he would be "energy bending" or just inhibiting an ability...on the other hand, I have no idea what Gandalf can do besides plummet down a hole and survive a prject bright lights

This should give you a basic idea of what he can do http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gandalf

#9 Posted by cattlebattle (14382 posts) - - Show Bio
@jumpstart55 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@jumpstart55 said:

@cattlebattle said:

This should give you a basic idea of what he can do http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gandalf

wow, he actually can't do that much...I would vote for the Avatar then
#10 Posted by SuperAquaMan (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Gandalf. Cmon he beat the balrog a considered unstoppable demon and that was gandalf the grey. Gandalfs magic even though not seen as much in the movies are awsome. Lightning, fire, and also a strong shield that took a blow from the balrog and was still standing and also he can call upon Gwaihir the king of eagles. Gandalfs got this

#11 Posted by qawsed12345 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, Gandalf will beat Roku. Immortal god spirit who helped create the world > godlike mortal

#12 Edited by Strider92 (18049 posts) - - Show Bio

Book Gandalf: ROFLSTOMPS

Movie Gandalf: Wins with some difficulty

#13 Posted by Hyperlight (7412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: although i agree book gandalf is a beast and would probably beat him down. movie gandalf probably can't beat avatar roku.

#14 Posted by jeanroygrant (20442 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

#15 Posted by Montaq (944 posts) - - Show Bio

Roku was no feats.
#16 Posted by Jezer (3243 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by steelhound56 (1076 posts) - - Show Bio

Book: Gandalf ROFLstomps

Gandalf the White is a god like spiritual being, a servant of Manwe, the greatest of the Valar. He also possesses Narya, one of the three elvish Rings of Power.

Even restricted to less than half of his true power,

He can summon lightning to strike his foes, as he did when he killed Goblins in The Hobbit

He has the ability of pyrokinesis, and light things ablaze with a command. He uses this to light a large cluster of tree ablaze to stay warm in The Hobbit, and would have no qualms about setting Roku on fire himself, although to what effect is unclear, as Roku is a Firebender.

He fought and killed Durin's Bane, showing remarkable strength (fighting a foe over 3 times his size in armed combat) and resilience. He can fight for days at a time, as he fought Burin's Bane for 3 days and nights nonstop.

Has enough power to destroy the Bridge of Kazhak Dum in a single strike of his staff.

Movie Gandalf: Still wins with moderate difficulty

Movie Gandalf could simply summon lightning to strike Roku, as he summoned it to power his own sword to slay Durin's Bane

Or use his staff to throw Roku about like a rag doll until his bones were crushed.

Or defeat Roku in armed combat. Gandalf has durability and strength far surpassing that of Roku's, and is likely faster as well

Avatar characters are glass cannons. Meaning they have the potential to dish quite a bit of damage out, but their durability isn't worth anything.

#18 Posted by Jezer (3243 posts) - - Show Bio

@steelhound56 said:

Book: Gandalf ROFLstomps

Gandalf the White is a god like spiritual being, a servant of Manwe, the greatest of the Valar. He also possesses Narya, one of the three elvish Rings of Power.

Even restricted to less than half of his true power,

He can summon lightning to strike his foes, as he did when he killed Goblins in The Hobbit

He has the ability of pyrokinesis, and light things ablaze with a command. He uses this to light a large cluster of tree ablaze to stay warm in The Hobbit, and would have no qualms about setting Roku on fire himself, although to what effect is unclear, as Roku is a Firebender.

He fought and killed Durin's Bane, showing remarkable strength (fighting a foe over 3 times his size in armed combat) and resilience. He can fight for days at a time, as he fought Burin's Bane for 3 days and nights nonstop.

Has enough power to destroy the Bridge of Kazhak Dum in a single strike of his staff.

Movie Gandalf: Still wins with moderate difficulty

Movie Gandalf could simply summon lightning to strike Roku, as he summoned it to power his own sword to slay Durin's Bane

Or use his staff to throw Roku about like a rag doll until his bones were crushed.

Or defeat Roku in armed combat. Gandalf has durability and strength far surpassing that of Roku's, and is likely faster as well

Avatar characters are glass cannons. Meaning they have the potential to dish quite a bit of damage out, but their durability isn't worth anything.

I believe Avatar Roku defeats Movie Gandalf.

In terms of his lightning, you're talking about 2:36:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOMq3Zr8dY

One instance of him summoning lightning - during a storm - to his staff is not enough evidence to suggest he can casually dish it out during a fight.

Using his staff to throw him around is a viable method. However

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hHOCvAiuY

His limbs are still moving around while he's being thrown around. Which is why he's able to get in his own shots at Saruman. Avatar Roku only needs one limb to do any sort of bending to disrupt Gandalf's telekinesis with that free limb. And, that's assuming that the Avatar isn't quicker on the draw, and hasn't already used one of his attacks to knock his staff out of his hand.

Armed combat against someone who controls the elements isn't going to cut it. Movie Gandalf is definitely no where near remotely as fast as Roku simply because of the difference of mediums - its hard to show someone in live footage moving as agile or fast as in an anime. Add in the fact that as an Airbender, Roku can reduce wind resistance to make himself faster (I believe Aang admitted this once) and can use wind to make himself move more agile and acrobatic.

Look how fast he strikes in 1:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w97iwElFkfQ&feature=related

So, Avatar Roku can travel through the ground - and then spring up - like a mole using his earthbending. He can fly using his airbending. It depends on the location, but chances are he will be able to control the very ground Gandalf stands on. He can control the very air that surrounds Gandalf as well. He's fast enough to dodge fireballs and poisonous gas springing randomly out of a volcano.

There's small chance that movie Gandalf beats him. Not even factoring the Avatar state. Roku has more avenues of attack, more creative ways of attack, is faster, ect.

#19 Posted by steelhound56 (1076 posts) - - Show Bio

I retract my previous statement about Movie Gandalf, its been ages since ive watched Avatar.

Gandalf still stomps this with casual ease, as book feats are still valid in this thread

#20 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12360 posts) - - Show Bio

@Montaq said:

Roku has no feats.
#21 Posted by nickthedevil (14858 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@Montaq said:

Roku has no feats.

ROKU SHALL NOT PASS

#22 Posted by The Stegman (29977 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides stopping a volcano and subduing the Firelord at the time..Roku has no real feats to show.