Gambit Vs Backlash

crowncoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By crowncoke

Long ago there was a battle Team UP of Gambit and Backlash VS Grifter and Spider-Man.  But what about the elusive Thief and the Career Soldier?  

Backlash has been sent to arrest Gambit for stealing from the Government.  Gambit knows that Backlash is hunting him and wants to stay out of Jail... or killed.

Each has the basic portfolio on the other and has the standard gear they carry... 

Gambit has his staff as well as 3 decks of  cards and a pocket full of coins.  Backlash has his knives and himself.   They each also have the standard abilities... Gambit has his agility, his ability to charge inanimate objects and his deadly aim.  Backlash has his Psi-whips as well as his once a day mist ability added to his agility and YEARS of fighting experience.

No Bloodlush 

New Orleans... at Night, and neither wants to harm civilians. 

The fight is for the KO... Gambit to escape or Backlash to capture.
Stompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Stompa

Hmm Gambit has the "home turf"-bonus and since it is "only" his mission to escape i think he makes it. In an open fight i wouldn´t be so sure Backlash is bad ass.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

My thinking is similar to what I know of Stompa's. If he just has to escape, then Gambit wins and it shouldn't be hard. If they have to actually fight and Gambit has to get a KO so he can escape, then I'd say Backlash. All gambit has on him is the range of his ranged attacks and in this scenario, with them both on the lookout for civilians, I don't see that being played up too much. Backlash is as agile and Gambit (if not more so) and has his whips for added maneuverability so avoiding the cards and the explosions shouldn't be too hard for him. He's also more durable than the average person and his conditioning allows him to take pain better as well. And that's before getting into his misting. Even limited to once a day he can use it to not only totally heal any damage done to him, but to sneak up on Gambit after Gambit thinks he's taken him down. And the version of Backlash with limited misting has increased energy output on his whips, so the loss of movement/defense/stealth gets turned into a bonus on range and destructive ability.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Super_SoldierXII
@Buckshot said:

My thinking is similar to what I know of Stompa's. If he just has to escape, then Gambit wins and it shouldn't be hard. If they have to actually fight and Gambit has to get a KO so he can escape, then I'd say Backlash. All gambit has on him is the range of his ranged attacks and in this scenario, with them both on the lookout for civilians, I don't see that being played up too much. Backlash is as agile and Gambit (if not more so) and has his whips for added maneuverability so avoiding the cards and the explosions shouldn't be too hard for him. He's also more durable than the average person and his conditioning allows him to take pain better as well. And that's before getting into his misting. Even limited to once a day he can use it to not only totally heal any damage done to him, but to sneak up on Gambit after Gambit thinks he's taken him down. And the version of Backlash with limited misting has increased energy output on his whips, so the loss of movement/defense/stealth gets turned into a bonus on range and destructive ability.

Good synopsis of a potential battle there. I'd be interested to learn how Backlash can avoid Gambit's area of effect explosions. Which are by admission, instantaneous nowadays and pack quite a punch. At range, Remy should have this ... he'd have to be quite a leaper to avoid such instanteous and constant barrages would he not?  
Any pics of Backlash maneuvering out of the way of such significant (and multiple) explosions? I admittedly am no expert on the character, but what little I know has me giving Remy a fairly decent chance here.
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Super_SoldierXII: Gambit may charge cards quickly and he may throw them fast, but neither of those is instant. Neither even happens as fast as Backlash's whips which come out at the speed of thought (faster than grabbing a card, even for Gambit) and can move at least as fast as a bullet (faster than gambit can throw a card. its said they move as fast as though, but i'll just go with bullet speed since that's been said as well as its something more concrete). And unlike the cards, they emit energy as they fly (so a close miss can still hit) and they can turn with a thought (so even ducking one isn't enough since it can chase you). I feel like its on Gambit's head to avoid a psi-whip more than its on Backlash to avoid a card or the following explosion. Regardless, I think he could. As I said, Gambit's not going to be using his best explosions because the OP says they're both watching out for civilians and even if he weren't, Backlash is still very maneuverable. As I said, he's at least as agile and acrobatic as Gambit, but in addition to that, he can use his whips to grab anything that's secured and use that to further change his position. And even in the case that he gets caught up in an explosion, he could always use that opportunity to turn to mist under the cover of the explosion and then get close to Gambit without him realizing (and then beat him to death from the mist before reforming). He's used that tactic before. Basically, I think his agility and whips would make him hard to hit, and even if he does get hit, he can take what Gambit will be dishing out and could even use it for his own purposes.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The last two images are from a training session meant for rookies. That level of agility doesn't even require him to break a sweat. They aren't explosions, but that's what I could find quickly.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Super_SoldierXII
@Buckshot
Thanks for the scans! As my knowledge on Backlash is limited, I'll withold judgement on this particular battle. 
But his should prove a great match-up. Both look to move in very similar ways with similar energetic attacks ... surprised this hasn't been done before now all things considered.
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Ren said:

Not to nitpick. But are we using old Backlash or Backlash prime. Because I think current Backlash is far less formidable.

He said one mist a day so I would imagine he's using the current Backlash with the more powerful whips. I prefer Backlash how he was originally as well, but I think this version can win the fight too.

Avatar image for gremlin_from_kremlin
Gremlin From Kremlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit.