• 141 results
#101 Posted by MegaPrime300 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight: I guess me not being introduced to the character got the best of me. Cthulhu wins this battle.

#102 Edited by Oase (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight:

No, they fear Toho Godzilla, not your lame ripoff.

#103 Edited by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight: I guess me not being introduced to the character got the best of me. Cthulhu wins this battle.

The reason you never heard of Cthulhu is because he had one appearance in a book and was taken out by a steam boat the rammed his head lol.

#104 Posted by wearevenom87 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump, I guess it could go either way

#105 Posted by VeganDiet (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

Godzilla. He's bigger than a steam boat.

#106 Posted by GhostRider2 (3304 posts) - - Show Bio
#107 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (2827 posts) - - Show Bio

That doesn't mean ****.

#108 Posted by VeganDiet (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

@vegandiet said:

That doesn't mean ****.

It was a joke. But considering Cthulu's only canon feat is getting taken out by a steam boat, it means a little something.

#109 Posted by Street_Samurai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

All this crap about his only cannon appearance being knocked out by a steamboat is utter nonsense. Give me a little while to gather my resources... Cthulhu has been in various H.P. Lovecraft stories, and has been shown in a few different forms. He is a reality warping Olden One. And the whole steamboat event was a nightmare, it never really happened in reality. It was a means of escaping his clutches inside of the grasp of madness. Had the captain not rammed the waking beast in his forehead with the ship, he would have been devoured through his dreams.

#110 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7751 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard Cthulu is a reality warper, so I suppose he could simply "unmake" Godzilla, but I have never actually seen or heard of a time when he's done so. I suppose unless someone can prove to me he has warped reality in some way I'm going to go with Godzilla.

#111 Posted by MegaPrime300 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2: Haha! I guess it's hard to pick for me. Since there are different descriptions of Cthulhu and Godzilla still has it's badass feats that we've known and loved, I'd go again for Godzilla.

#113 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (2827 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

@vegandiet said:

That doesn't mean ****.

It was a joke. But considering Cthulu's only canon feat is getting taken out by a steam boat, it means a little something.

Oh, sorry. Can't tell cause... you know... its online. My bad.

#114 Edited by VeganDiet (1067 posts) - - Show Bio
#115 Edited by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier said:

Godzilla walked out of a black hole, which light even can't escape. I've heard Cthulu is a reality warper, so I suppose he could simply "unmake" Godzilla, but I have never actually seen or heard of a time when he's done so. I suppose unless someone can prove to me he has warped reality in some way I'm going to go with Godzilla.

Unless Street_Samurai comes up with something that I have forgotten, which if he has it, then I by all means implore him to share something concrete and solid -- because if I have missed something then I want to know so I can read it, this is his only canon showing: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm

Beyond that, he basically get's a few mentions in some other stories, none of which label him as a reality warper. Which again, I could have missed something. Cthulhu is exceedingly ill defined in Lovecraft's works (as he was meant to be), which is the true canon material. Anything based on his works that simply adds to it or changes it (like the more recent comics or Role Playing Game adaptations), is not canon. Especially the writings of Derleth, who changed the bleak, nihilistic view of the world and humanity being screwed, and concepts of good and evil being merely worthless human notions (ideas that Lovecraft had prominently for display in his works), and he added the ideas of good and evil as universal constants -- which is counter to Lovecraft's stories.

So basically, anything written past Lovecraft isn't canon.

#116 Posted by Magi (64 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote goes to cthulhu. Great old one vs. giant atomic breath lizard? Not that hard a decision for me. (I've seen every movie appearance of godzilla. I think.)

#117 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@oase said:

@jackknight:

No my lame ripoff is the actual Toho Godzilla, he's just gotten a omnipotent boost.

#118 Posted by Oase (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@oase said:

@jackknight:

No my lame ripoff is the actual Toho Godzilla, he's just gotten a omnipotent boost.

Dream on. He's not even close to being a real Godzilla, and when Toho finds out, they're gonna make a movie where your Godzilla is gonna has his ass kicked by the original Toho Godzilla.

#119 Posted by Frocharocha (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

Love both characters but Cthulhu wins.

Godzilla may be the king of the kaijus but Cthulhu makes pretty much every kaiju look like children.

Godzilla already defeated Galactus level beings (Desotroyah, Ghidorah and Space Godzilla).Godzilla can probably tank Cthulhu telekinetic attacks with ease. He already fought guys with pysonic powers before. Godzilla also tanked a tacks on atomic and molecular level and survived (all attacks from Destroyah were show to destroy anything at atomic level). And he survived thanks to his insane regeneration powers.

Godzilla is more than a match to Cthulhu mythos deities. Humans to Cthulhu is what a dumb animal is to a human. He thinks that just because he's more intelligent and has more firepower he's stronger than animals. That's not true, Just like in real life, humans had been killed by insects and this equals to Cthulhu being knocked out by a steamboat. Chutlhu will be defeated by his ignorance.

#120 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

All this crap about his only cannon appearance being knocked out by a steamboat is utter nonsense. Give me a little while to gather my resources... Cthulhu has been in various H.P. Lovecraft stories, and has been shown in a few different forms. He is a reality warping Olden One. And the whole steamboat event was a nightmare, it never really happened in reality. It was a means of escaping his clutches inside of the grasp of madness. Had the captain not rammed the waking beast in his forehead with the ship, he would have been devoured through his dreams.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for addressing that steamboat issue!!!!!!!!

Now explain this to @godtriggerhulk @betatesthighlander1 and @cadencev2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@jackknight said:

Godzilla may be the king of the kaijus but Cthulhu makes pretty much every kaiju look like children.

Godzilla already defeated Galactus level beings (Desotroyah, Ghidorah and Space Godzilla).Godzilla can probably tank Cthulhu telekinetic attacks with ease. He already fought guys with pysonic powers before. Godzilla also tanked a tacks on atomic and molecular level and survived (all attacks from Destroyah were show to destroy anything at atomic level). And he survived thanks to his insane regeneration powers.

Godzilla is more than a match to Cthulhu mythos deities. Humans to Cthulhu is what a dumb animal is to a human. He thinks that just because he's more intelligent and has more firepower he's stronger than animals. That's not true, Just like in real life, humans had been killed by insects and this equals to Cthulhu being knocked out by a steamboat. Chutlhu will be defeated by his ignorance.

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO MONSTERS IN THE GODZILLA SERIES THAT IS EVEN REMOLTLY ON THE LEVEL OF GALACTUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#121 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@street_samurai said:

Now explain this to @godtriggerhulk @betatesthighlander1 and @cadencev2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no, more fan made crap twisted into cannon fact.....

#122 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

Don't blame me talk to @street_samurai

#123 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

Its all good. There simply is no cannon material to use from the books. Only fan made crap with no sourcing whatsoever.

I will expect to see Book Name and Page Number for sourcing. I know I will not get any of that because its all fanmade crap.

#124 Posted by jojjimbo (2472 posts) - - Show Bio

Godzilla.

#125 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

Its all good. There simply is no cannon material to use from the books. Only fan made crap with no sourcing whatsoever.

I will expect to see Book Name and Page Number for sourcing. I know I will not get any of that because its all fanmade crap.

I can't be bothered to continue arguing with you and @betatesthighlander1 about this stupid thing about all of Cthulhu's feats being fan made, if you want to continue talk to @street_samurai

#126 Posted by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

I can't be bothered to continue arguing with you and @betatesthighlander1 about this stupid thing about all of Cthulhu's feats being fan made, if you want to continue talk to @street_samurai

If you can't be bothered with it, then stop trying to defend it. I have spoken with several people over the past few days about this, and no one can seem to come up with these supposed feats from the canon material. Now, I for one would love to read the material these feats have come from, and I do eagerly await a response from street_samurai for canon material I may have missed, but let's be clear, if isn't written or authorized by Lovecraft, then it isn't canon.

#127 Posted by Street_Samurai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

I repeat... All this crap about the whole steamboat feasgo as being Cthulhu's only feat is utter nonsense. Cthulhu also appeared in 1928 Dunwich Horror, as well as mentions in other tales and in many of H.P. Lovecrafts personal notes, describing the entity as a powerful reality warping creature... I am not arguing this with anyone on a Comic Forum... For the sake of argument I would say that Godzilla has more feats and actual showings. That gives him the advantage in this match up. This is due to a lack of actual source meterail. If you take Cthulhu for what he is sopposed to be based on his creators notes... He is the clear winner. And I repeat the whole Steamboat incident happened in a dreamland... It was not a physical encounter. And the Captain still went insane from the occurrence. I am not going to argue this factor with you people, read the da&n story. It's called "Call of Cthulhu."

#128 Edited by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

If you can't be bothered with it, then stop trying to defend it. I have spoken with several people over the past few days about this, and no one can seem to come up with these supposed feats from the canon material. Now, I for one would love to read the material these feats have come from, and I do eagerly await a response from street_samurai for canon material I may have missed, but let's be clear, if isn't written or authorized by Lovecraft, then it isn't canon.

Um you do realize that my last comment of on leaving this argument! I didn't say I was leaving this argument a few comments back!!!!!!!!

#129 Edited by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@street_samurai said:

I repeat... All this crap about the whole steamboat feasgo as being Cthulhu's only feat is utter nonsense. Cthulhu also appeared in 1928 Dunwich Horror, as well as mentions in other tales and in many of H.P. Lovecrafts personal notes, describing the entity as a powerful reality warping creature... I am not arguing this with anyone on a Comic Forum... For the sake of argument I would say that Godzilla has more feats and actual showings. That gives him the advantage in this match up. This is due to a lack of actual source meterail. If you take Cthulhu for what he is sopposed to be based on his creators notes... He is the clear winner. And I repeat the whole Steamboat incident happened in a dreamland... It was not a physical encounter. And the Captain still went insane from the occurrence. I am not going to argue this factor with you people, read the da&n story. It's called "Call of Cthulhu."

This is a far cry from gathering your sources. A Captain going insane and Cthulhu getting hit by a steamboat hardly qualifies as much. Where are the canon sources stating he is a powerful reality warper? I've already provided a link for Call of Cthulhu above, and last I checked, in Dunwich Horror, he only got a mention, not an appearance (again though, if you can provide the passage of his appearance, then please do so, because if I missed something, then I would love to see it).

Now, I don't really have time to do re-reads today, but for any interested, here is the Dunwich Horror (and if you find Cthulhu's appearance, please share): http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thedunwichhorror.htm

#130 Posted by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

Um you do realize that my last comment of on leaving this argument! I didn't say I was leaving this argument a few comments back!!!!!!!!

Ummm...you do realize you haven't left yet? You are still here, typing responses.

#131 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@jackknight said:

@wyldsong said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:

@cadencev2 said:

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

Ummm...you do realize you haven't left yet? You are still here, typing responses.

#132 Edited by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

You're still here I see. Thought you were leaving this thread?

#133 Posted by Street_Samurai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong: He was never hit my a steamboat dude... It was a dream! I can dream I am a fairy princess it doesn't make it so! Cthulhu hasn't ever actually awaken in H.P. Lovecrafts Mythos. He is a sleeping Olden One. If he was to actually wake up... A steamboat to the head would not knock him out. All it did do was severe the link of telepathic bleed that the Captain was having through his deamscape. It was all supposed to be subconscious interaction... He wrote about nightmares and madness.

#134 Edited by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong: He was never hit my a steamboat dude... It was a dream! I can dream I am a fairy princess it doesn't make it so! Cthulhu hasn't ever actually awaken in H.P. Lovecrafts Mythos. He is a sleeping Olden One. If he was to actually wake up... A steamboat to the head would not knock him out. All it did do was severe the link of telepathic bleed that the Captain was having through his deamscape. It was all supposed to be subconscious interaction... He wrote about nightmares and madness.

Yes, he wrote about nightmares, madness, a nihilistic view of the universe, and ill defined horrors from the beyond. I am still waiting for the reality warping stuff here.

As for the whole thing being a dream...you have the the line, "Out of that dream came rescue", which was in direct reference to the nightmare flight from their encounter and Johansen brooding and dealing with the "gathering of the clouds about his consciousness" and "hysterical plunges" and such. Literal dream or just a phrase to describe what he was going through, since nothing seemed real to him anymore? Thurston's narrative seems to end with him of the belief that something of that encounter was real, since he even states that Cthulhu must have been trapped by the sinking of the city. Now, if you do have something that states the whole thing was a dream and not real, and you aren't just assuming based on your interpretation, then I do implore you to share. Regardless, it still does nothing to prove this whole reality warping aspect.

#135 Posted by Frocharocha (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

@street_samurai said:

@frocharocha said:

@jackknight said:

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO MONSTERS IN THE GODZILLA SERIES THAT IS EVEN REMOLTLY ON THE LEVEL OF GALACTUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Godzilla can surpass galactus with enough crystals:

Biollante and Mothra both entered space after their respective battles with Godzilla, and each brought G-Cells with them. Unfortunately, some of these Godzilla cells managed to enter a black hole, where they were exposed to the energy of an untold multitude of stars. The genetic material was altered, and a new beast was born. His purpose was to dominate the planet Earth, and the only way he could accomplish this goal was by destroying his only obstacle: Godzilla.

It's amazing how plot armor is more powerful than any Omnipotent character :P

#136 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackknight said:
@street_samurai said:

@frocharocha said:

@jackknight said:

Space Godzilla can surpass galactus with enough crystals:

Biollante and Mothra both entered space after their respective battles with Godzilla, and each brought G-Cells with them. Unfortunately, some of these Godzilla cells managed to enter a black hole, where they were exposed to the energy of an untold multitude of stars. The genetic material was altered, and a new beast was born. His purpose was to dominate the planet Earth, and the only way he could accomplish this goal was by destroying his only obstacle: Godzilla.

It's amazing how plot armor is more powerful than any Omnipotent character :P

Even with all of SpaceGodzilla's crystals he is still that best a solar system threat, Galactus that his weakest destroyed 3 solar systems in one attack.

#137 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@street_samurai said:

yeah, I'm not sure how true any of that is......

#138 Posted by Street_Samurai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong: I already stated that Godzilla wins based on the aspect of showings alone... He simply has more actual feats. How you can dismiss references to Cthulhu however as being trivial as the partain to this encounter. H.P. Lovecraft made mention of Cthulhu multiple times, even if he did not physically appear in any of his stories. I have nothing to prove my opinion on this matter other then the authors regard for the character in question. He always spoke of Cthulhu as a powerful Elder God that caused Madness and devoured sanity through nightmares. Based on his own thoughts on his character U beileve that the steamboat occurrence was nothing but a dream. I mean we have a Elder God with Freddie Krugger type powers only on a cosmic level... I would take that as reality warping myself, as how I can't think of anything that can actually enter into our dreams and kill us or cause us to go insane. Just my thoughts on this match up. If you decide to take everything the Captain said as literal and not his unconscious mind breaking under the weight of a gods consciousness that is fine. But that is not how I or many others I know understand it to be.

#139 Edited by Wyldsong (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@street_samurai said:

@wyldsong: I already stated that Godzilla wins based on the aspect of showings alone... He simply has more actual feats. How you can dismiss references to Cthulhu however as being trivial as the partain to this encounter. H.P. Lovecraft made mention of Cthulhu multiple times, even if he did not physically appear in any of his stories. I have nothing to prove my opinion on this matter other then the authors regard for the character in question. He always spoke of Cthulhu as a powerful Elder God that caused Madness and devoured sanity through nightmares. Based on his own thoughts on his character U beileve that the steamboat occurrence was nothing but a dream. I mean we have a Elder God with Freddie Krugger type powers only on a cosmic level... I would take that as reality warping myself, as how I can't think of anything that can actually enter into our dreams and kill us or cause us to go insane. Just my thoughts on this match up. If you decide to take everything the Captain said as literal and not his unconscious mind breaking under the weight of a gods consciousness that is fine. But that is not how I or many others I know understand it to be.

After the whole experience, Johansen is described as delirious, not all there, brooding, basically not fully with his mind on reality -- which could be described as a nightmare or dream like state in literary terms. There is nothing in the story that states it was in fact, a dream. Again, if you have it, share it. If not, then all I am hearing is an interpretation of events based on literary phrasing. Let's also point out, that being able to mess around in someones head is less reality warping, and more akin to telepathy, which it is stated that Cthulhu has that, only it is watered down (literally). Warping reality, proves he can warp reality. Appearing in dreams, or getting hit by a steamboat and trying to prove it was really a dream based on a phrase does not equate to reality warping.

You see, I am trying to get to the bottom of this whole reality warping belief. At this point, I could care less on the battle as a whole, but I am seeking proof of this stance. Not an interpretation of events, which is all I have found so far.

Hey, I am not trying to slap you down, or even tell you that you are wrong. All I am asking for is proof.

#140 Posted by Nordok (1211 posts) - - Show Bio

Not here to weigh in with any feats, but I wanted to toss out an angle that I think is worthy of consideration, in this battle. Neither Godzilla nor Cthulhu are mere "monsters;" each of them represents something very primal in their respective mythologies.

Godzilla represents the results of Mankind's affect on the natural world; he is a direct consequence of atomic testing. Hence, he is akin to man-made natural disaster. His attacks on humanity represent the backlash mankind suffers from nature when certain boundaries are overstepped. It is in this same role that Godzilla has frequently served as a defender, of sorts, to the planet itself when it comes under attack by alien beings: like nature, he is destructive, terrifying, but ultimately something that protects and benefits the planet as a whole.

Cthulhu also represents a greater concept, but he is the avatar of is everything that is beyond mankind and the natural world we know: he is the terror that lurks in the darkness beyond our range of vision. The reason he has become so associated with madness is because he is the embodiment of knowledge and powers that are so far beyond human experience and comprehension that the human mind simply cannot process them without breaking.

What this battle is, then, is the battle where human science and the fury of a planet combine to battle the unknown forces of the universe. I'm not certain we can reasonably declare a victor, because part of what makes Cthulhu Cthulhu is the fact that he is not and cannot be definitively defined.

#141 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

dude

people who follow him religiously are pretty much the only ones to apply godlike powers to him

which proves he has reality warping powers at least akin to Miguel and Julio

#142 Edited by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@nordok said:

Not here to weigh in with any feats, but I wanted to toss out an angle that I think is worthy of consideration, in this battle. Neither Godzilla nor Cthulhu are mere "monsters;" each of them represents something very primal in their respective mythologies.

Godzilla represents the results of Mankind's affect on the natural world; he is a direct consequence of atomic testing. Hence, he is akin to man-made natural disaster. His attacks on humanity represent the backlash mankind suffers from nature when certain boundaries are overstepped. It is in this same role that Godzilla has frequently served as a defender, of sorts, to the planet itself when it comes under attack by alien beings: like nature, he is destructive, terrifying, but ultimately something that protects and benefits the planet as a whole.

Cthulhu also represents a greater concept, but he is the avatar of is everything that is beyond mankind and the natural world we know: he is the terror that lurks in the darkness beyond our range of vision. The reason he has become so associated with madness is because he is the embodiment of knowledge and powers that are so far beyond human experience and comprehension that the human mind simply cannot process them without breaking.

What this battle is, then, is the battle where human science and the fury of a planet combine to battle the unknown forces of the universe. I'm not certain we can reasonably declare a victor, because part of what makes Cthulhu Cthulhu is the fact that he is not and cannot be definitively defined.

This is pretty spot on information and I agree.

#143 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Godzilla. I've never heard of this Cthulhu creature. Plus, Godzilla has far more impressive abilities.

He appeared in South Park.

#144 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7751 posts) - - Show Bio

Big G. Hail to the King.