#1 Edited by Joygirl (20848 posts) - - Show Bio

Etrigan the Demon

vs.

The Unstoppable Juggernaut

--------------------------

- 1 day prep

- Battle takes place in Gotham

- Classic Juggernaut

- Pre-and-Post 52 Etrigan feats are allowed. Jason cannot come out to play.

- In character

-----------------------

For more of my battles, click here!

#2 Posted by Owie (4766 posts) - - Show Bio

In a lot of ways, this is similar to his actual fight with Lobo, except that Juggs is probably more resistant to magic and damage in general (albeit with no healing factor). I think eventually Juggs would crush him physically. Etrigan is a bit inconsistent in terms of how much damage he can soak. He's had limbs cut off by strong enough demons before, so I think Juggs could take him down. But it would take a long time.

Cool Juggernaut picture.

#3 Edited by King Saturn (218463 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think Juggernaut would win here... even though Etrigan is very strong and has Hellfire to attack from a range... I can see Juggs running straight through that stuff and getting hold of Etrigan and pancaking him.

#4 Posted by Joygirl (20848 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie:

He was also able to punch Superman to the moon. >.> And outside physical combat he has some pretty powerful magic.

@king_saturn:

Pancaking him right off the bat seems unlikely. This guy does take hits from people like Superman and Lobo.

#5 Posted by King Saturn (218463 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@owie:

He was also able to punch Superman to the moon. >.> And outside physical combat he has some pretty powerful magic.

@king_saturn:

Pancaking him right off the bat seems unlikely. This guy does take hits from people like Superman and Lobo.

I don't think it's unlikely at all... even though Etrigan takes hits from Superman and Lobo... it's usually standing strikes... in Juggernaut's Case if he goes charging at Etrigan and strikes at him... because of the nature of Juggernaut's power he could generate more force with his attack especially since he is much larger than Superman or Lobo... now the issue could be speed since Juggs is not that fast.

#6 Posted by Joygirl (20848 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

Hm, HAS Etrigan shown any serious speed feats? He must have, or he'd get rocked by people like Superman... unless Supes was just fighting dumb as usual.

#7 Posted by King Saturn (218463 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@king_saturn:

Hm, HAS Etrigan shown any serious speed feats? He must have, or he'd get rocked by people like Superman... unless Supes was just fighting dumb as usual.

I remember one time Etrigan rushed in on Superman and surprised him with an attack... other than that... not a whole lot with speed feats.

#8 Edited by Joygirl (20848 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

That alone is more significant than anything Jugs has done. Though if he uses his forcefield....

#9 Posted by Owie (4766 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@owie:

True. But I'd say that punch is perhaps outside his normal feat range. I could be wrong, but I don't know of anything else to that level.

Since I went to the trouble of scanning a bunch of his fights a while ago, I might as well post them.

Here's his fight with Superman where Superman expresses surprise at his speed. Etrigan does fine, but doesn't really do any serious damage, and is clearly defeated at the end. Note, in terms of strength, that Superman easily stops his punch with one hand. (I'm afraid they're in reverse order.)

He has done well against some other tough foes besides Lobo and Superman, for instance stalemating Abaddon, the guard of the pit of hell. (Also in reverse order.)

And, here's his full fight with Lobo, just for the fun of it. Certainly he shows the ability to take a lot of punches, and also do some damage right back.

It's not a totally continuous fight, so there are a few points where they're separated and then get back to fight again later. At the very end, a nuke goes off and they're both magically transported elsewhere.

Unfortunately the new CV image placement is screwy, so this is all out of order. Read in this order: #11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12. (Basically start at 11 and go backwards to the beginning, the go all teh way to the end and go backwards to the middle.)

In terms of other damage-soaking examples, Etrigan has had his hands pierced by swords wielded by demons, and when a tentacle monster threw him hundreds of feet up in the air, so that when he fell he crashed through multiple floors of a building, he was knocked out (very similar to the Superman fight above). Juggernaut, on the other hand, wouldn't be hurt by either of them.

Basically I think that even if we accept for argument's sake that Etrigan is as strong as Juggs (and I don't think that he is), Juggs can withstand far more damage, so he'll win in the end.

In terms of magic, I've looked for examples of what he can actually do with his magic. He is magically adept enough to be a recurring foe of Klarion, but magic can do a lot of things, and they may or may not be of help against Juggernaut. What I've seen him do is teleport, change the trajectory of a missle, make shields, pull out the demon that was possessing a person, transplant human limbs in place of his own cut-off limbs, turn a stone floor to liquid and then make it hard again (which he did to Lobo, and the Lobo just broke right out), and--in conjunction with Abaddon--shoot powerful mystic blasts that leveled the castle of a demon lord. I am actually very curious if anyone can give specific examples of what else he can do with magic.

In any case, I'm not sure any of this magic would work against Juggernaut, but I certainly haven't seen all the magic he can do, so I am open to the possibility that he might use some other magical effect.

#10 Posted by dondave (39935 posts) - - Show Bio

Juggernaut

#11 Posted by TifaLockhart (15363 posts) - - Show Bio

He sent Superman back in time once. He killed his half brother Merlin in a fair fight, though Merlin did show up in Ennis' run.

Physically, Juggernaut would win. I'm not sure how he does against magic though, as Shatterstar stabbed his eyes once and he screamed, but they regenerated instantly.

#12 Posted by Spartan101 (3454 posts) - - Show Bio

cain stomps him.

#13 Posted by BlackWind (8439 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as magic goes, Etrigan prefers relying on force, and hellfire, which is magic itself as it has shown it can destroy evil, as well as burn it's target's mind and soul. Etrigan has sent Superman back in time once with a rather casual spell, he has stolen the magic of Encantadora, and he is also, by word of Darkseid, one with the primal resources of nature: Which is IIRC how he absorbed the power of Stonehenge and took on the Sentinels of Magic and Martian Manhunter and was winning. Even Doctor Fate has said Etrigan has access to primal magics beyond his control. So, while writers don't often get creative with it, Etrigan has some serious magic in him, he just doesn't do it often.

#14 Posted by TifaLockhart (15363 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved his first "fight" with Klarion.

#15 Posted by HellionVulcan (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as magic goes, Etrigan prefers relying on force, and hellfire, which is magic itself as it has shown it can destroy evil, as well as burn it's target's mind and soul. Etrigan has sent Superman back in time once with a rather casual spell, he has stolen the magic of Encantadora, and he is also, by word of Darkseid, one with the primal resources of nature: Which is IIRC how he absorbed the power of Stonehenge and took on the Sentinels of Magic and Martian Manhunter and was winning. Even Doctor Fate has said Etrigan has access to primal magics beyond his control. So, while writers don't often get creative with it, Etrigan has some serious magic in him, he just doesn't do it often.

But is his magic better than what powers Juggernaut ? if not i doubt it'd do much at all maybe burn or set Juggs on fire but he'll be fine to go on & win .

#16 Posted by Joygirl (20848 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Juggernaut ever encountered any sort of Mephisto or Blackheart-level being? Even a Ghost Rider? That could be somewhat indicative of how he'd fare against Etrigan's magic.

#17 Posted by WisperofBlueMoon (5 posts) - - Show Bio

"When Cain Marko found the Gem of the mystical entity Cyttorak, he was empowered with magical energies and transformed into an immortal avatar for the entity in question. As the Juggernaut, Marko possesses superhuman strength, being capable of shattering mountains, lifting and using buildings as weapons, and extreme durability." that's from his Wikipedia page. Since you failed to specify what you mean by "classic" juggernaut lets go with some power of Cyttorak,

The Juggernaut possesses untold power, mystical in nature, which enhances his strength to an as yet unknown degree and makes him a seemingly irresistible, unstoppable being. Once he begins to walk in a certain direction, no obstacle or force on Earth has been observed to be able to stop him. Apparently, only he can stop himself. Some obstacles (many tons of rock, for example) or forces (such as plasma-discharge cannons) may slow his pace considerably, but nothing has yet stopped him permanently from advancing.

Besides giving him vast superhuman strength, the mystical energy of Cyttorak gives the Juggernaut an extraordinary degree of resistance to all forms of injury. The Juggernaut can shield himself even further from injury by mentally surrounding himself with a force field. Enveloped by his force field, the Juggernaut has survived the fiery explosion of a truck transporting a huge quantity of oil without any injury whatsoever. The Juggernaut can survive indefinitely without food, water, or oxygen. He is sustained by his mystical energies alone.

the juggernaut once choked out hulk without his armor. he would headbutt etrigan into the realm of cyttorak and maul him to pieces with world shattering blows.

#18 Edited by chiq (2174 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Classic Strange have problems with Cain? But he doesn't seem to do well vs magical weapons, Shatter star's swords and that asgardian axe, Thor hammer and more recently Demon Colossus vs Magik's sword.

Cain did regen completely from the eye poke though...

#19 Posted by comic_book_fan (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

juggernaut

#20 Posted by oceanmaster21 (11413 posts) - - Show Bio

juggernat wins 6 out of 10

#21 Posted by TifaLockhart (15363 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I think Juggernaut is going to have a difficult time doing lasting damage to Etrigan as well. Physical durability is leaps and bounds in Juggernaut's favor to the point it's probably superfluous, but Etrigan might be stronger, has some decent durability himself, a decent healing factor, and magic for offense. I see the unstoppability being the biggest obstacle, to be blunt.