Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Roddy010
Empathy
Empathy

The action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.(Real world definition)

Telepathy
Telepathy

Communication through means other than the senses, as by the exercise of an occult power. Usually between people of thoughts, feelings, desires, etc., involving mechanisms that cannot be understood in terms of known scientific laws.(Real world definition)

Telepathy vs Empathy. It can be misconstrued that telepathy is the more efficient ability. However being that both abilities are psionic in nature they can be seen as one in the same. As we all should know telepathy usually pertains to the mind. We've seen telepaths such as Jean Grey and Professor Xavier perform great feats with their abilities from reading minds to completely altering the thought process. Empathy usually pertains to sensations and emotions. Empaths such as Raven and Meggan have accomplish great feats with their abilities as well...Unfortuantely there aren't many Empaths running around, but these two are the greatest examples for this ability...

Well all that being said. I'd like to discuss which power do you guys think is more efficient. I've always thought they were equal but both have obvious advantages as well as disadvantages.Scans characters and/or references could be used from any comic. However no abstract beings or power ups can be used as an example...(For example Jean Grey can be used however her Phoenix incarnation can not be used) But besides that just answer the following question the best of your ability...

Which power is more efficient?

Which power is more versatile?

If you could chose which one would you prefer?

Which power would win in an all out fight? (You can use characters as examples)

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: telepathy is more effective and versatile. i can make you do what ever i want with it and feel what ever i want,i can erase your whole mind or rewrite it.make u think your a chicken or make u suicidal and make u give me your bank pin

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010: telepathy is more effective and versatile. i can make you do what ever i want with it and feel what ever i want,i can erase your whole mind or rewrite it.make u think your a chicken or make u suicidal and make u give me your bank pin

You can do the same thing with empathy...Manipulating the emotions to make that person actually want to do all the stuff you just named....

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: no you cant.empathy is the ability to understand, comprehend and put yourself in someones shoes.telepathy is the ability to manipulate read and change

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010: no you cant.empathy is the ability to understand, comprehend and put yourself in someones shoes.telepathy is the ability to manipulate read and change

Did you read anything I posted in the OP?

Mad8Baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mad8Baller

Empathic manipulation isn't Empathy.
Having lots of empathy just means you are like Dumbledore who can understand people very well.

rolldestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rolldestroyer

telepathy is the ability to hear and broadcast the thoughts of oneself and others and of course it can be more than that while empathy is the ability to feel and understand other people's feelings and emotions. the person with this ability can feel exactly what another person is feeling, and for the same reasons, without direct contact with them. so for a power i'll go with telepathy since it can win you a fight against an empath

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roddy010

@Mad8Baller said:

Empathic manipulationisn't Empathy. Having lots of empathy just means you are like Dumbledore who can understand people very well.

As far as comic book logic is concerned it is...

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Roddy010

Honestly guys this is comicvine...Why are you being so straightforward with the power descriptions lol...Empaths have shown the ability to sense/manipulate and even alter the emotions and sensations of others around them just as telepaths can do this with others thoughts...

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By HolySerpent

Telepathy - to control people

stonerthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stonerthps

If I had a friend named bruce banner I would wanna be an Empath. 

But personally I'd rather be a telepath.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: The action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.

Telepathy
Telepathy

Communication through means other than the senses, as by the exercise of an occult power. Usually between people of thoughts, feelings, desires, etc., involving mechanisms that cannot be understood in terms of known scientific laws..

do u know what you posted in the OP. nothing here is what i said TP could do. empathy is understanding TP is manipulation.i stand by that.tell me what u posted in the OP that states otherwise

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By karetaker

@Mad8Baller said:

Empathic manipulation isn't Empathy. Having lots of empathy just means you are like Dumbledore who can understand people very well.

@Roddy010: THIS

ThatThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThatThorFan

Telepathy would be much better.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker: I'm aware of what I posted. This is the "real world" definition of the two abilities to give people an understanding of what they are. But we as comicbook readers know that character that have these abilities can accomplish the feats listed in the description and much more...Empaths such as Raven have duplicated telepathic feats such as illusions, Meggan empathy is so powerful that she can manipulate the elements with them...Stop looking at these abilities as straightforward as just the real world description and use your imagination...That's the whole point of this thread...

@karetaker said:

@Mad8Baller said:

Empathic manipulation isn't Empathy. Having lots of empathy just means you are like Dumbledore who can understand people very well.

And once again...

Honestly guys this is comicvine...Why are you being so straightforward with the power descriptions lol...Empaths have shown the ability to sense/manipulate and even alter the emotions and sensations of others around them just as telepaths can do this with others thoughts...
Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Chaos Burn

empathy seems like a really lame version of telepathy....

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Outside_85

All in all the effects Empaths and Telepaths can achieve with their powers are the same, they can control other people, they can look into their minds for memories, thoughts and feelings they can tamper with the minds of other whats different is how they get there. Another difference is how unshielded telepaths and empaths are affected by a crowd of people surrounding them, the empath will feel everything the others are feeling while the telepath will be hearing the thoughts of everyone (this example is obviously not the Jean Grey's and Ravens, but less trained versions).

Though I think Empathy would be more entertaining when you just make someone wet themselves out of fear rather than making them think they are afraid while also having to force them to loosening the lower muscles a bit.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: in comics based on ur raven comparison TP= Empathy and vice versa. u said what would i rather have in real life. based on the definition of empathy raven would be a TP. empathy isent even a super power.i can be empathetic already.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Roddy010

@Chaos Burn said:

empathy seems like a really lame version of telepathy....

It's really not...Some Empaths have achieved some of the same feats as Telepaths...

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By sa5m

Which power is more efficient?

I believe the telepathy is more efficient for controlling minds and the empathy is more efficient in controlling the emotions

Which power is more versatile?

I think the telepathy. They can do what empaths do just maybe not as strongly

If you could chose which one would you prefer?

I would like the telepathy =)

Which power would win in an all out fight? (You can use characters as examples)

I am unsure. I believe it depends on the person and their power level. It would be easier to say the telepathy because there are more of the feats from telepaths than from the empaths =)

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Roddy010

@sa5m: Thanks you for contributing...I really do appreciate it...I'm glad there are still some people on the vine who know how to interpret the OP...

BMEZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BMEZY

I would pick Telepathy mysef...If you really think about it, a skilled telepath can accomplish and (directly or indirectly) cause the same effects as an empath. LOAH explains it pretty well for me.

LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LordOfFate

Gonna go with telepathy. Empaths are just a sub of true telepathy anyway.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Outside_85

@Lord Shiva: Its a sub of psionics, both of them.

LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordOfFate

@Outside_85 said:

@Lord Shiva: Its a sub of psionics, both of them.

True. Damn you Marvel and all your tele-whatevers

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010: in comics based on ur raven comparison TP= Empathy and vice versa. u said what would i rather have in real life. based on the definition of empathy raven would be a TP. empathy isent even a super power.i can be empathetic already.

Raven is an Empath...Her powers are associated with Empathy and have been described as such since her debut...She has replicated telepathic feats using her empathy...Meggan ,another empath, has powers that make her one with the lifeforce of her environment, giving her an innate awareness of her surroundings also to the point where she can manipulate the elements...Comics take the real world definition of empathy to a whole other level using their imaginations...Since this is a comicbook site I thought we'd all use our imaginations instead of thinking so apparent on the subject at hand...But since we refuse to do so why don't I try to explain...I asked a series of four question and I mention the use of comic book characters to reference off..It's apparent that I wasn't basing this entire thread on the real world definition of these two abilities...Heck I even mention these said characters right after I gave the real world definition...So obviously this wasn't based solely on those definitions...

BMEZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BMEZY

@Lord Shiva: hmm..I've never thought of it that way

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Roddy010

@BMEZY said:

I would pick Telepathy mysef...If you really think about it, a skilled telepath can accomplish and (directly or indirectly) cause the same effects as an empath. LOAH explains it pretty well for me.

An Empath can do the exact same thing....

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Hazlenaut

I will go with empathy to understand another person makes communication easier. You can still not know what the other person feels even if you can read minds. Telepathy needs concentration can be difficult in certain situations. It also can be considered invasion of privacy which will cause more difficulty in the long run

BMEZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BMEZY

@Roddy010: I never doubted that empathy couldn't do some of the feats the telepathy. Since I said that I prefer Telepathy, I was only speaking on that side of the spectrum.

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By sa5m

@Roddy010 said:

@sa5m: Thanks you for contributing...I really do appreciate it...I'm glad there are still some people on the vine who know how to interpret the OP...

You are most welcome! =) I do feel like the emaths are being a little over looked here. Something they can do that telepaths can not is heal, not sure if that was mentioned here yet

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Roddy010

@sa5m: No it wasn't but I'm glad you brought it up...Raven has saved Robin, Cyborg and Starfire from sudden death using empathy...

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Telepathy in the first 3 and the 4 question is variable.

XEL820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By XEL820

Telepathy, if only for Telepathic Suggestion.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@Roddy010 said:

@karetaker said:

Raven is an Empath...Her powers are associated with Empathy and have been described as such since her debut...She has replicated telepathic feats using her empathy...Meggan ,another empath, has powers that make her one with the lifeforce of her environment, giving her an innate awareness of her surroundings also to the point where she can manipulate the elements...Comics take the real world definition of empathy to a whole other level using their imaginations...Since this is a comicbook site I thought we'd all use our imaginations instead of thinking so apparent on the subject at hand...But since we refuse to do so why don't I try to explain...I asked a series of four question and I mention the use of comic book characters to reference off..It's apparent that I wasn't basing this entire thread on the real world definition of these two abilities...Heck I even mention these said characters right after I gave the real world definition...So obviously this wasn't based solely on those definitions...

Cool thread. I'd be happy with either power but would prefer empathy. It could really go either way IMO, coming down to the strength of will and skill of the wielders.

Same as Jean and Emma are telepathic beasts in battle, Raven and Meggan are empathic beasts, and both have shown unique applications that have advantages and disadvantages. Of these examples, I would love to have Meggan's empathic abilities. Her type of empathy allows her to mimic the abilities of those around her (i.e. - gaining super human strength of her opponent in one instance I recall), manipulating the elements (fire, earth, create hard air shields, etc), weather manipulation, communication with animals and plant life, sensing and effecting the emotions of others around me, and being one with the universe (Meggan even healed the universe in one instance).

The biggest advantages I see with empathy vs telepathy is that is not being limited to the mind, body, and/or senses of a specific target. If the target has no mind or technological or naturally strong defenses to TP, you could be in trouble, and empathic abilities could allow for one to pull off most of the feats that a telepath can.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010 said:

@karetaker said:

i used the definition you gave in the OP (sue me) im not familiar with raven or meggan, i dont read there comics,i seen the teen titans cartoon if that counts. but anyway i assumed you wanted us to use the definition witch is why u wrote it.in the op u only referenced jean gray and no Empaths, i assumed u wanted us to compare the ability to be empathetic with the superpower TP.

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Storm Calling

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010 said:

@karetaker said:

i used the definition you gave in the OP (sue me) im not familiar with raven or meggan, i dont read there comics,i seen the teen titans cartoon if that counts. but anyway i assumed you wanted us to use the definition witch is why u wrote it.in the op u only referenced jean gray and no Empaths, i assumed u wanted us to compare the ability to be empathetic with the superpower TP.

That's because you only read part of his OP. He clearly said, after he provided the description, that telepathy could be misconstrued as being more effective and that the abilities could be seen as one in the same; Considering what certain comic book characters have done with these abilities.

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Roddy010 said:

@karetaker said:

Cool thread. I'd be happy with either power but would prefer empathy. It could really go either way IMO, coming down to the strength of will and skill of the wielders.

Same as Jean and Emma are telepathic beasts in battle, Raven and Meggan are empathic beasts, and both have shown unique applications that have advantages and disadvantages. Of these examples, I would love to have Meggan's empathic abilities. Her type of empathy allows her to mimic the abilities of those around her (i.e. - gaining super human strength of her opponent in one instance I recall), manipulating the elements (fire, earth, create hard air shields, etc), weather manipulation, communication with animals and plant life, sensing and effecting the emotions of others around me, and being one with the universe (Meggan even healed the universe in one instance).

The biggest advantages I see with empathy vs telepathy is that is not being limited to the mind, body, and/or senses of a specific target. If the target has no mind or technological or naturally strong defenses to TP, you could be in trouble, and empathic abilities could allow for one to pull off most of the feats that a telepath can.

This is a nice breakdown, I think you made very strong points about both the weaknesses and advantages for the two.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By karetaker

@Storm Calling:"That's because you only read part of his OP. He clearly said, after he provided the description, that telepathy could be misconstrued as being more effective and that the abilities could be seen as one in the same considering what certain comic book characters have done with these abilities."

No i read the entire thing. thats not giving an example thats making a statement without giving an example than going on to reference a telepath.

and saying it could be misconstrued as being more effective implies that its not more effective.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker: Well if you were confused I'm sorry but I clearly stated this in the OP...

@THUNDERBOLT30: Thanks Thunder and I do agree Meggan is a beast with her empathy...If I'm not mistaken she was able to fool Phoenix in Excalibur of coarse this was Rachel and not Jean but I still find it fascinating that she could affect such a being with her abilities...I say Meggan is the most powerful Empath with Raven being second...Raven has connected with every soul on the planet on more than one occasion using Empathy...I do like your breakdown though I'm glad someone can see the difference between the two...

torzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By torzone

Personally

I believe Telepathy is the better power, but an Empath should NEVER be underestimated. Empathy isn't a weaker form of Telepathy, they work on two opposite scales (while both being psionic abilities) An Empath can do things from manipulating, sensing, controlling, Emotions. Emotions are the ties to thoughts (like saying every telepath is an empath) Dani Moonstar- a former mutant and member of the New Mutants had the ability to read emotions and cast Empathic Illusion of other desires and fears. Empath- an mutant and former member of Emma Frost's Hellions had the ability to control emotions as well and was capable of rendering others emotionless and controlling them like zombies (a telepath's way of mind control). Phoebe from Charmed had premonitions- that were based on emotions, and learned to control others powers by manipulating their emotions.

This actually reminds me of a Thread about how strong is Empathy...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/how-powerful-is-empathy/643057/

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Storm Calling

@karetaker said:

@Storm Calling:"That's because you only read part of his OP. He clearly said, after he provided the description, that telepathy could be misconstrued as being more effective and that the abilities could be seen as one in the same considering what certain comic book characters have done with these abilities."

No i read the entire thing. thats not giving an example thats making a statement without giving an example than going on to reference a telepath.

and saying it could be misconstrued as being more effective implies that its not more effective.

He provided examples, Raven and Meggan have both exhibited abilities on par with telepathy. I think you may have been confused, but that is fine if you were. Also, saying that it could be misconstrued implies that Empathy is commonly underestimated and overlooked compared to an ability like telepathy. It doesn't mean he necessarily implied that Empathy is not more effective or that he believes that it is not.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By karetaker

@Storm Calling: He did not give them as examples in the OP.that was my whole point. my point was i did exactly as he asked, by his definition of the powers he supplied. using the one character he placed as an example in the OP.

Obviously an implication is never definitive.

no im not confused i know exactly what im saying and i know exactly what he wrote

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Storm Calling

@karetaker said:

@Storm Calling: He did not give them as examples in the OP.that was my whole point. my point was i did exactly as he asked, by his definition of the powers he supplied. using the one character he placed as an example in the OP.

no im not confused i know exactly what im saying and i know exactly what he wrote

Then you are "mistaken" because he did provide them as examples as well as described that those abilities were so similar in nature that they could be seen as one in the same.

@Roddy010 said:

Telepathy vs Empathy. It can be misconstrued that telepathy is the more efficient ability. However being that both abilities are psionic in nature they can be seen as one in the same. As we all should know telepathy usually pertains to the mind. We've seen telepaths such as Jean Grey and Professor Xavier perform great feats with their abilities from reading minds to completely altering the thought process. Empathy usually pertains to sensations and emotions. Empaths such as Raven and Meggan have accomplish great feats with their abilities as well...Unfortuantely there aren't many Empaths running around, but these two are the greatest examples for this ability...

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

Actually I used Xavier, Jean, Raven and Meggan all as examples in my OP...Once again I used these real world definitions as everyone the medical terms for these abilities...However I referenced comicbook characters with superpowers based off these abilities...I then even told everyone that they could reference other comicbook character with the same abilities as the one I referenced in the OP...You chose to ignore that completely and attack the thread by implying Empathy isn't a "super power' when canon has proven different...

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: im not attacking the thread. i said it wasent a power likw 8 hours ago.i said i dont know much about those 2 already

."Once again I used these real world definitions as everyone the medical terms for these abilities" what does that mean

and for your third point i said i havent heard about characters with empathy as a ppower so i dont know how that applies to me.

@Storm Calling: milk and yogurt are both dairy in nature. they are one in the same......see my point

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010: im not attacking the thread. i said it wasent a power likw 8 hours ago.i said i dont know much about those 2 already

."Once again I used these real world definitions as everyone the medical terms for these abilities" what does that mean

and for your third point i said i havent heard about characters with empathy as a ppower so i dont know how that applies to me.

@Storm Calling: milk and yogurt are both dairy in nature. they are one in the same......see my point

Well why would you make comments such as "Empathy is not a super power" if you know nothing of the characters I mentioned...You could have easily just asked but you took the "holier than thou" route and tried to pass your opinion as fact...Empathy is a superpower as far as comicbooks are concerned...

You keep back paddling on the definitions that I posted and using them as an excuse to why you said your statement in the first place, which brought SC and I to the conclusion that you were confused. However you said you weren't which just shows that you chose to ignore the rest of my post...It's one thing to be naive but it's another to be selective...

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: read what i write,carefully now. your definition of empathy in your OP is not a superpower. because i dident know much about the characters i used YOUR definition via YOUR OP. now you tell me where my error was.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker said:

@Roddy010: read what i write,carefully now. your definition of empathy in your OP is not a superpower. because i dident know much about the characters i used YOUR definition via YOUR OP. now you tell me where my error was.

So you were confused...You thought the characters were just limited to the "real world" definitions I provided?

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By karetaker

@Roddy010: i suppose you could word it that way.if you want to be technical

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Roddy010

@karetaker: Okay I see why...Once again I apologize if I confused you...lol but we are getting way off topic...After seeing what some Empaths are capable of do you still think telepathy is the more effective power? As far as comicbook goes?