No Caption Provided

Full scale invasion of Asgard No prep time

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Eldrazi eat mana, correct? They should easily be able to stomp through low level Asgardians, all the way up to Odin, who should be able to put the smack down on them.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats for the Eldrazi?

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this was my first post.........so it's a little basic.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Eldrazi are interplanar abominations that travel from one plane of existence to another eating it and leaving nothing behind, they are reality warping cthonic entities, inspired no doubt by Lovecraft, the mere presence of any of the main three, will cause reality to dissipate from their surroundings. The main trio of Eldrazi are named, Emrakul the Aeons Torn, Ulamog,The Infinite Gyre, and Kozilek the Butcher of Truth.

It's important to note that the Eldrazi could not be killed by powerful planeswalkers, merely sealed on Zendikar, placed in a temporary state of dormancy. They are even now a threat, that if ever unleashed will eventually consume the entire multiverse, Each Eldrazi has it's own seperate unique brood lineage, beings that have similar anatomical structure but scaled down to various sizes for whatever purpose the Eldrazi desire, like a personal army.

What all of this means in comparison to Asgard I'm not entirely certain, as for the most part when discussing magic entities one must go on a combination of flavor text on the cards, and -implied power, I would put them on a similar level to Shuma-Gorath but then again it isn't really as simple as being able to beat the Eldrazi, they are certainly true immortals more like forces of the multiverse itself, at best the Asgardians can seal them away somewhere, If they simply materialize in Asgard there is a decent chance Asgard gets consumed, perhaps Thor and Odin and a few others make it out but I don't see them stopping The Eldrazi, they operate on a level beyond Skyfather tier beings for this fight you want a well fed Galactus and some backup on a similar level.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Eldrazi are interplanar abominations that travel from one plane of existence to another eating it and leaving nothing behind, they are reality warping cthonic entities, inspired no doubt by Lovecraft, the mere presence of any of the main three, will cause reality to dissipate from their surroundings. The main trio of Eldrazi are named, Emrakul the Aeons Torn, Ulamog,The Infinite Gyre, and Kozilek the Butcher of Truth.

It's important to note that the Eldrazi could not be killed by powerful planeswalkers, merely sealed on Zendikar, placed in a temporary state of dormancy. They are even now a threat, that if ever unleashed will eventually consume the entire multiverse, Each Eldrazi has it's own seperate unique brood lineage, beings that have similar anatomical structure but scaled down to various sizes for whatever purpose the Eldrazi desire, like a personal army.

What all of this means in comparison to Asgard I'm not entirely certain, as for the most part when discussing magic entities one must go on a combination of flavor text on the cards, and -implied power, I would put them on a similar level to Shuma-Gorath but then again it isn't really as simple as being able to beat the Eldrazi, they are certainly true immortals more like forces of the multiverse itself, at best the Asgardians can seal them away somewhere, If they simply materialize in Asgard there is a decent chance Asgard gets consumed, perhaps Thor and Odin and a few others make it out but I don't see them stopping The Eldrazi, they operate on a level beyond Skyfather tier beings for this fight you want a well fed Galactus and some backup on a similar level.

If they are on the same level as Cthulhu then that means.................Cthulhu < Boat.......which means Asgard > Boat.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they are on the same level as Cthulhu then that means.................Cthulhu < Boat.......which means Asgard > Boat.

I didn't say they were on the same level of Cthulhu I said they are inspired by HP Lovecrafts imagery, in their appearance. These Titans are not going to be dealt with easily if at all, and from what I can gather based on the OP the Eldrazi are just materializing out of the blue in Asgard, this is not going to end well for Asgard whether their heavy hitters mount a defense or not. The thing is nobody really seems to know how powerful Lovecrafts entities so if one were to say as powerful as Cthulhu it doesn't really mean much outside of the little featwise contained in Lovecrafts original work, and the work has had countless contributions from other authors at this point, it's very murky water.

I also don't know what you mean by Boat so you will have to clarify, but again I will reiterate that when the Eldrazi manifest on a plane they literally warp time and reality because their presence in a physical form is not right or natural they literally are things that should not be. In their native form they exist within the Blind Eternities, the space between all planes a formless vortex of chaos, mana, and Aether the very stuff of creation.

To get more of an idea about the Eldrazi here is an article from the MTG creative. Also I will say in my opinion this would be a different story if the Asgardians knew and had time to prepare for this, they still would be in for a fight but they would likely be able to seal the Eldrazi off eventually, but a random manifestation, as I said Asgard will likely be consumed and Thor/Odin/friends will likely escape and hatch some sort of plot to come back later and deal with them, again it is very difficult to say with complete certainty where MTG entities lie on the power scale as the only real thing to go on are the articles/card flavor text/implied power based on the plot of the set you are dealing with which usually comes from novels.

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil_driver: Thank you for explaining the eldrazi, I kind of dropped the ball when I made this post.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9 JediXMan  Moderator

The thing that makes the Eldrazi so dangerous (lore-wise) is that they devour mana (or was it specifically just colored mana?), aka the tools / power sourceof Planeswalkers and... pretty much everyone else of note in the multiverse.

The problem is that MTG mana is not the same as the magic used by Asgardians, so their threat power won't have as much hold over them. Though the fact that the Eldrazi essentially make meals of planes / dimensions is pretty impressive.

PS: The Eldrazi are awesome.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil_Driver

I'm by no means an Eldrazi fanboy but I think if they are going to be used in battles at all it should be understood that mana is basically the energy that makes up everything basically matter itself, while it is almost always explained as the power source of all planeswalker spells, it is also said in canon that where there is no mana in MTG there is no life. To me this is no different than say using Bleach characters with the understanding that their opponents will be able to see them despite not being Shinigami for example.

Also it's important to note as I mentioned earlier each of these things have their own unique brood lineage, an entire army of smaller, specialized Eldrazi that maintain the anatomy and form of their respective Titan. These lesser spawn completely turned the civilizations of Zendikar to dust as quoted here.

"The Eldrazi legions devastated Zendikar. The greater Eldrazi emanated a radius of destruction wherever they went, annihilating all life and mana in their path, absorbing the lifeforce of the lush natural world of Zendikar. The lesser Eldrazi tore through Zendikar's civilizations, reducing them to ruins with terrible speed."

These things have high destructive capacity,this is reinforced in the Eldrazi specific card mechanic Annihilator which according to the designers.

"Annihilator only appears on colorless Eldrazi creatures, and on a single colorless Eldrazi Aura, Eldrazi Conscription. The mechanic serves two purposes: it helps break the large board stalls that can occur in Rise of the Eldrazi games, and it demonstrates the storyline idea of the Eldrazi as extremely powerful destroyers of planes in an in-game mechanic."

I do encourage anyone interested in MTG Lore which is actually quite deep and fascinating to check out the MTG Salvation wiki, this is not like most wikis you find out there it is kept to a high standard by guys who really know the lore, far better than I do and they keep a tight leash on making sure the stuff is sourced from in canon material only.

These things are legit world eaters, they cannot be killed, they cannot be completely stopped, they cannot be reasoned with. The Best one can hope for is containment, and even then it will always be tenuous at best.

PS: @jedixman The Eldrazi themselves devour all forms of mana and are represented as colorless themselves

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bossdarksied355 said:

It's a cool fight, from what i've just read about the Eldrazi, but i can't say for sure who i think would win, as they seem pretty abstract and i only have this somewhat basic info on them. Odin can take care of himself, i think, but the lower level Asgardians probably can't hurt guys who can destroy planes of existence, but the mana-sapping thing wouldn't work on Asgardians, as they're not from the same universe. Unless that's a thing, and the Eldrazi go to new universes all the time and can eat up all sorts of different magic..?

@jedixman said:

snip

Any thoughts about my above query?

Apocalypse3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Apocalypse3

Odin wins for asgard

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@bossdarksied355 said:

It's a cool fight, from what i've just read about the Eldrazi, but i can't say for sure who i think would win, as they seem pretty abstract and i only have this somewhat basic info on them. Odin can take care of himself, i think, but the lower level Asgardians probably can't hurt guys who can destroy planes of existence, but the mana-sapping thing wouldn't work on Asgardians, as they're not from the same universe. Unless that's a thing, and the Eldrazi go to new universes all the time and can eat up all sorts of different magic..?

@jedixman said:

snip

Any thoughts about my above query?

I don't think their ability would work on the Asgardians, honestly. I think that the magic is different - or different enough that it could be a problem.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

I don't think their ability would work on the Asgardians, honestly. I think that the magic is different - or different enough that it could be a problem.

Ok, cool, thanks for the thoughts.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Eldrazi > Asgard > current Eldrazi

@jedixman said:

The thing that makes the Eldrazi so dangerous (lore-wise) is that they devour mana (or was it specifically just colored mana?), aka the tools / power sourceof Planeswalkers and... pretty much everyone else of note in the multiverse.

The problem is that MTG mana is not the same as the magic used by Asgardians, so their threat power won't have as much hold over them. Though the fact that the Eldrazi essentially make meals of planes / dimensions is pretty impressive.

PS: The Eldrazi are awesome.

They devour colored mana IIRC, which is why Emrakul has pro colored spells. They also have powerful telepathic capacity as i recall, enslaving all of Zendikar's vampires and then mutating them.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the issue with their ability working, again you have to look at the intent of these things, they eat planes, of course their abilities will be written in MTG terminology. However as I mentioned in my last post in MTG where there is no mana there is no life and on planes with weak concentrations of mana the few lifeforms that exist are weak and emaciated, in short mana is energy, I would make the same distinction if say Galactus were to visit an MTG plane of existence, if not there really is no reason to use the Eldrazi as they somewhat become reduced to generic giant monsters.

If they have their abilities I don't see how Asgard survives, and again going by the OP unless I am guessing wrong here, the Eldrazi simply materialize on Asgard at the outset of this scenario, and if so I cannot see how there is anything but an evacuation of Odin/Thor and a few other important plot characters. There won't be any stopping these creatures even Odin for all of his power will not taste victory, just my opinion based on having a good grasp of MTG Lore.

If anyone who is knowledgeable on the marvel side of things wants to make a case, or perhaps demonstrate where Asgard has dealt with a similar scenario, I am open to changing my mind, but again in my opinion nothing below a recently fed Galactus is going to make these things even take notice.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil_driver: I'd say Odin should be capable of beating the weaker corporeal versions of the Eldrazi, but not they're original Ethereal forms. If 3 Oldwalkers couldn't beat them, asgard has very small chances of doing so, but we should use the most recent forms for debating.

Odin has the capacity to stand up to galactus, though not beat him. His powers have been considered enough to destroy galaxies. I simply don't believe the corporeal Eldrazi are capable of withstanding that onslaught.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Eldrazi cannot be killed any wound the Asgardians inflict upon them will be regenerated that's the reason all of their cards individually state instead of putting them into the graveyard shuffle back to the owners library, it's important to remember that MTG mechanics are for game and flavor/lore. Each of the Eldrazi also have Annihilator, meaning that every attack they make will have a wide radius of destruction at the point of impact, Ulamog is Indestructible, Emrakul has time manipulation and protection from spells and each of them are reality warpers.

I found a quote earlier today actually from Mark Rosewater who is head designer of MTG "the concept of the Eldrazi is inspired by both the Cthulhu mythos and the Marvel Comics character Galactus." So the intention about their power levels is clear and remember this is as per Zendikar so the versions that are being used in this battle, as they haven't been incorporeal in a long time.

Odin is one bad Skyfather no doubt about it, but I just don't see him pulling this off, maybe there is some amped version of Odin I don't know about that would be able to seal them off, but not without some plot device. That being said I would certainly love to a see a Marvel/MTG crossover comic that would grab my interest in a heartbeat.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil_driver: I believe the shuffling mechanic is because if their bodies break down or are somehow destroyed, they simply begin to reform thanks to their being locked within Zendikar.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the shuffling mechanic is because if their bodies break down or are somehow destroyed, they simply begin to reform thanks to their being locked within Zendikar.

You may have a point but I'm really not certain, they are said to be immortal whether physical or in their native forms, it's a bit hard to speculate on but it can be seen from more than one side certainly, what do you make of this battle?

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the shuffling mechanic is because if their bodies break down or are somehow destroyed, they simply begin to reform thanks to their being locked within Zendikar.

You may have a point but I'm really not certain, they are said to be immortal whether physical or in their native forms, it's a bit hard to speculate on but it can be seen from more than one side certainly, what do you make of this battle?

Their native forms are unkillable by anything in MtG, mainly because everything in MtG is based around the food source of the Eldrazi. Their physical forms can be destroyed, very hard but possible, but their true form is tethered to the plane and simply starts to make a new body for itself.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_imperator I understand how they work I'm just curious what you personally think will happen in this battle? It's always good to get outside perspectives and like I said I am always willing to change my mind if the situation warrants it, so which side do you see taking the victory and why?

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil_driver: Odin should be able to punk their bodies. Maybe not kill them, but definitely punk them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
deactivated-5aba78567e8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to revive this discussion.