cmon it isnt a clear win for the balrog dumbledore have skills to

justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By justleader

dumbledore wins, since dumbledore>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gandalf (in human form) who defeated the balrog.

Dumbledore can instantly and most importantly silently teleport (other than him only voldemort was capable of teleporting silently) which would give dumbledore the advantage of surprise, then he can summon his firestorm which could definitely kill the balrog.

whydama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whydama

Thou shalt pass....

Avatar image for abomination123321
Abomination123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Abomination123321

@justleader said:

dumbledore wins, since dumbledore>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gandalf (in human form) who defeated the balrog.

Dumbledore can instantly and most importantly silently teleport (other than him only voldemort was capable of teleporting silently) which would give dumbledore the advantage of surprise, then he can summon his firestorm which could definitely kill the balrog.

agree

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bo88gdan

Balrog would kill old dumbledore

Avatar image for abomination123321
Abomination123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Abomination123321

@Bo88gdan said:

no

justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By justleader

@Bo88gdan said:

i don't think so, Dumbledore displayed far more impressive magical capabilities than Gandalf (who defeated the balrog)

Pistolwhip1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pistolwhip1
WhiteWiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WhiteWiz

Dumbledore can also teleport others. What can Balrog do to stop Dumbledore from teleporting him to the sun?

Though I must admit, I'm not sure if there is a distance limit to his teleporting.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bane_of_sith

Dumbledore wins!!! And depending where the fight takes place it could end really fast,especially if it's near water...either way dumbledore wins IMO

dbzmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dbzmeister

Dumbledore his fight with Voldemort at the end of book five and the fire storm he summoned to ward off the zombies in book 6 were both incredible examples of magic and you got the impression he had much more in the bag. He'd probably just transfigure the balrog into a bespectacled 11 year old boy and adopt him.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Laurcus

I say Balrog wins just because he's basically a lesser god.

The problem with Lord of The Rings characters is that their powers are all very abstract. Tolkien was basically as vague as possible, almost to the point of many of his characters being featless. As a matter of fact, no one even really knows what a Balrog looks like. The one from the movies is just Peter Jackson's interpretation of what a Balrog looks like. A huge debate still rages today on if Balrogs have wings or not.

No one can even really agree on what kind of powers they have or how they fight, beyond the fact that they have giant weapons. The Ringwraiths are very similar to this as well. Aside from the Black Breath, we don't have any details about their powers. We know nothing of the Witch King's sorcery, which was supposedly why he was so feared. We only have a little bit of knowledge of their invisibility power that they gain when they remove their armor.

Note that the Balrog is a Maia, the same species as Gandalf and Saruman. With the way the original Ainur created the world, for all we know the Balrog is a reality warper to some extent. It's basically the biggest lack of information of all time.

dbzmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dbzmeister

@Laurcus: Great point and I completely agree it is all very vague. What we do know though is that certain excpetionally talented individuals like Glorfindel, Ecthelion and Gandalf were able to kill one despite dying themselves in the process. Feanor also manages to put up a good fight against several of them at once. They all die in the process of course but given Dumbledore's exceptional magical ability and intelligence I think he'd have a very good chance of finding a weakness and exploiting it.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingkronos

Dumbledore would win if he has a way of nullifying Balrog's divinity.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

How is fire storm going to kill a being of fire? and about water, he has already survived falling in it and snow.. Even hides of Dragons in HP were great protection against spell.. What use are they going to be when your opponent is a creature who withstood Gandalf's attacks and Killed him.. (Though he returned..)

Anyway, Guy with the third post, a godlike being in human form >>>>> An old man with crooked nose and half moon spectacles..

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Laurcus

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

How is fire storm going to kill a being of fire? and about water, he has already survived falling in it and snow.. Even hides of Dragons in HP were great protection against spell.. What use are they going to be when your opponent is a creature who withstood Gandalf's attacks and Killed him.. (Though he returned..)

Anyway, Guy with the third post, a godlike being in human form >>>>> An old man with crooked nose and half moon spectacles..

I wasn't aware of that little detail about dragon's hides in Harry Potter... I'm gonna go with the lesser demon god that was created for war against wizards and other gods.

Darrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darrius

@justleader said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

PrinceAragorn beat me to it.

Dumbledore is going to win this, at least judging from the movies. We know that the Balrog can be killed and we haven't seen Gandalf generate any force that Dumbledore should not be able to generate....well except that Gandalf looks to be a few thousand years old but can still melee fight like a 20 year-old. Dumbledore probably can't do that.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lordraiden

You mean Gothmog?? He annihilates Dubledore!!

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Laurcus

@lordraiden said:

I think he means Durin's Bane.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lordraiden

@Laurcus said:

@lordraiden said:

Oh. That's not Morgoth's Balrog, who is Gothmog, which Durin's Bane pales incomparison to, from what i've read.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Laurcus

@lordraiden said:

@Laurcus said:

@lordraiden said:

Oh. That's not Morgoth's Balrog, who is Gothmog, which Durin's Bane pales incomparison to, from what i've read.

I'm aware. But most people aren't, because most people have only seen the movies. And in the movies Gandalf calls Durin's Bane the Balrog of Morgoth, because Peter Jackson possesses the reading comprehension of an average forum user.

justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By justleader

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

dumbledore's firestorm isn't simply fire it's a special type of fire comparable to fienfyre which can obliterate anything even hocruxes on which if regular fire is used makes it only stronger.

Avatar image for venomsapprentice
venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By venomsapprentice

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

How is fire storm going to kill a being of fire? and about water, he has already survived falling in it and snow.. Even hides of Dragons in HP were great protection against spell.. *What use are they going to be when your opponent is a creature who withstood Gandalf's attacks and Killed him..* (Though he returned..)

I wasn't aware of that little detail about dragon's hides in Harry Potter... I'm gonna go with the lesser demon god that was created for war against wizards and other gods.

First, you can't compare a Harry Potter Dragon to a lotr Balrog.

*Second, Gandalf's attacks consisted of minor telekinesis and fireworks. Far far less impressive then what Dumbledore has demonstrated. Let's take a look at their respective powers:

^^ fight at :30 ^ fight at 2:25

Suffice it to say, Dumbledore would have taken care of the Orcs at Helms Deep, without all of the fancy swordplay.

Plus the teleportation. Dumbledore can take his sweet time to come up with a plan.

Not that he needs to.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lordraiden

@venomsapprentice said:

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

How is fire storm going to kill a being of fire? and about water, he has already survived falling in it and snow.. Even hides of Dragons in HP were great protection against spell.. *What use are they going to be when your opponent is a creature who withstood Gandalf's attacks and Killed him..* (Though he returned..)

*Second, Gandalf's attacks consisted of minor telekinesis and fireworks. Far far less impressive then what Dumbledore has demonstrated. Let's take a look at their respective powers:

Suffice it to say, Dumbledore would have taken care of the Orcs at Helms Deep, without all of the fancy swordplay.

Plus the teleportation. Dumbledore can take his sweet time to come up with a plan.

Not that he needs to.

I think that what people need to be aware of is that Gandalf is a Mair, a higher being brought to earth for a specific purpose, to fight Sauron, and is limited on middle earth to the use of his full power, other wise he would be fighting on Sauron's side if he didn't care about unleashing his full power!! He is limited as to using his power on middle earth, otherwise, i'd say it's safe to say he is above humans even as powerfull as Dumbledore, imo.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By venomsapprentice
@lordraiden
Until Gandalf shows us what he can really do, we have to give it to Dumbledore based on feats.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@venomsapprentice:  

@lordraiden :  
Until Gandalf shows us what he can really do, we have to give it to Dumbledore based on feats.

Indeed. 

Feats>> Speculation. 
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By agent9149
lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lordraiden

@venomsapprentice said:

@lordraiden: Until Gandalf shows us what he can really do, we have to give it to Dumbledore based on feats.

Well, you'll have to read the books to really get a feel of what Gandalf can do, otherwise, your really not gonna get much from the movies, but yeah, I understand where your comming from.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@justleader said:

Gandalf is s incredibly powerful spirit comparable to an angel, I doubt Dumbledore could take him 
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

That's the best in comic vine.. you always get to learn new things.. (A lot of them in my case :) )

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Baldy

@Laurcus said:

I say Balrog wins just because he's basically a lesser god.

The problem with Lord of The Rings characters is that their powers are all very abstract. Tolkien was basically as vague as possible, almost to the point of many of his characters being featless. As a matter of fact, no one even really knows what a Balrog looks like. The one from the movies is just Peter Jackson's interpretation of what a Balrog looks like. A huge debate still rages today on if Balrogs have wings or not.

No one can even really agree on what kind of powers they have or how they fight, beyond the fact that they have giant weapons. The Ringwraiths are very similar to this as well. Aside from the Black Breath, we don't have any details about their powers. We know nothing of the Witch King's sorcery, which was supposedly why he was so feared. We only have a little bit of knowledge of their invisibility power that they gain when they remove their armor.

Note that the Balrog is a Maia, the same species as Gandalf and Saruman. With the way the original Ainur created the world, for all we know the Balrog is a reality warper to some extent. It's basically the biggest lack of information of all time.

Seriously? Balrogs are reality warping lesser gods now? You blatently have very little knowledge of LoTR if you believe this to be the case.

@Laurcus said:

@lordraiden said:

@Laurcus said:

@lordraiden said:

I'm aware. But most people aren't, because most people have only seen the movies. And in the movies Gandalf calls Durin's Bane the Balrog of Morgoth, because Peter Jackson possesses the reading comprehension of an average forum user.

All of the balrogs qualify as balrogs of Morgoth. He was the one that corrupted all of them in the first place.

@lordraiden said:

I think that what people need to be aware of is that Gandalf is a Mair, a higher being brought to earth for a specific purpose, to fight Sauron, and is limited on middle earth to the use of his full power, other wise he would be fighting on Sauron's side if he didn't care about unleashing his full power!! He is limited as to using his power on middle earth, otherwise, i'd say it's safe to say he is above humans even as powerfull as Dumbledore, imo.

Gandalf broke the rules all the time, and it's not 'safe to say' that he's above humans as powerful as Dumbledore. Dumbledore has much more impressive feats.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@justleader said:

Gandalf is s incredibly powerful spirit comparable to an angel, I doubt Dumbledore could take him

Sauron, the most powerful of the Maiar is described as a minor spirit, and he's a great deal more powerful in spirit terms than Gandalf, so to suggest that Gandalf is a powerful spirit comparable to an angel is incorrect.

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Balrogs. Are. Not. Gods.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Baldy said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@justleader said:
Gandalf is s incredibly powerful spirit comparable to an angel, I doubt Dumbledore could take him

Sauron, the most powerful of the Maiar is described as a minor spirit, and he's a great deal more powerful in spirit terms than Gandalf, so to suggest that Gandalf is a powerful spirit comparable to an angel is incorrect.

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Balrogs. Are. Not. Gods.

Now, Do you remember that Gandalf was forbidden from directly contesting with sauron in power? Definitely he was not as strong as him, but they ARE comparable. Gandalf is a powerful enough to compare with, not defeat, sauron.

And secondly,

Balrogs. Are. Maiar.

Lesser Gods, sometimes, lesser angels, sometimes, lesser spirits. Thank Tolkein for his annoying habits.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@justleader said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

dumbledore's firestorm isn't simply fire it's a special type of fire comparable to fienfyre which can obliterate anything even hocruxes on which if regular fire is used makes it only stronger.

It was nothing like that. only thing mentioned in the books was:

"But then, through the darkness, fire erupted: crimson and gold, a ring of fire that surrounded the rock so that the Inferi holding Harry so tightly

stumbled and faltered. Dumbledore was on his feet again, pale as any of the surround-ing Inferi,but taller than any too, the fire dancing in his eyes; his wand was raised like a torch and from its tip emanated the flames, like a vast lasso, encircling them all with warmth."

I don't see any of these intriguing details hidden somewhere..

And even if it is comparable, which is isn't, we are talking about a Balrog here.. not some wimpy corpse who runs away from fire.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By ShootingNova

Is this Durin's Bane?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@venomsapprentice said:

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Not that he needs to.

As a reply to first, yes. They are incomparable. A scaly lizard vs a corrupted lesser god. You are backing my point here. Dragon has protection against many spells. Quite a few wizards are needed if they were to be stunned or so. By the starement above, why would Balrog be troubled by spells about this level?

Secondly, their respective powers are exactly what we are talking about. look here:

He defended a blow from Balrogs sword. That doesn't look like minor telekinesis or fireworks.

And third. I agree. Teleportion. Dumbledore, being extremly intelligent, will not take a second to guess that this is an enemy way out of his league, and use teleportion to go as away from him as possible. Let him peacefully go back and become head master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..

He suits there the most :) otherwise we would surely go down on Gandalf vs Dumbledore..

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@PrinceAragorn1 said:

@venomsapprentice said:

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Not that he needs to.

As a reply to first, yes. They are incomparable. A scaly lizard vs a corrupted lesser god. You are backing my point here. Dragon has protection against many spells. Quite a few wizards are needed if they were to be stunned or so. By the starement above, why would Balrog be troubled by spells about this level?

Secondly, their respective powers are exactly what we are talking about. look here:

He defended a blow from Balrogs sword. That doesn't look like minor telekinesis or fireworks.

And third. I agree. Teleportion. Dumbledore, being extremly intelligent, will not take a second to guess that this is an enemy way out of his league, and use teleportion to go as away from him as possible. Let him peacefully go back and become head master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..

He suits there the most :) otherwise we would surely go down on Gandalf vs Dumbledore..

You guys need to stop using the movies and start using the source material. When pepole do "Batman Vs.." fights, nobody uses feats from the Dark Knight Trilogy   
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Jonny_Anonymous: Ok.. He was showing it from movies.. So I did. No probs on my side..

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Baldy

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

@Baldy said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@justleader said:

@Laurcus said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Balrogs. Are. Not. Gods.

Now, Do you remember that Gandalf was forbidden from directly contesting with sauron in power? Definitely he was not as strong as him, but they ARE comparable. Gandalf is a powerful enough to compare with, not defeat, sauron.

And secondly,

Balrogs. Are. Maiar.

Lesser Gods, sometimes, lesser angels, sometimes, lesser spirits. Thank Tolkein for his annoying habits.

They arn't even close. Olorin said himself that he couldn't match the power of Sauron.

They are not gods. Get over it.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

He couldn't beat him. But, power was comparable. Still why are we debating this.. Against Balrog, dumbledore loses badly.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baldy

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

He couldn't beat him. But, power was comparable. Still why are we debating this.. Against Balrog, dumbledore loses badly.

No it wasn't. He said so himself.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

When did he say, "I am not close to Sauron in power?" Their powers didn't match. That's all.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Baldy

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

When did he say, "I am not close to Sauron in power?" Their powers didn't match. That's all.

Tolkien said that he was of a far higher order than the Maiar that came later.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Tolkein also said that Gandalf was the wisest maiar..

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Baldy

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Tolkein also said that Gandalf was the wisest maiar..

I know. It's also irrelevant, his wisdom has nothing to do with whether he was as powerful as Sauron or not.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

He He.. just kidding around.. fine. Keep your view, lets debate on some other day. Balrog wins currently.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Baldy

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

He He.. just kidding around.. fine. Keep your view, lets debate on some other day. Balrog wins currently.

You could be right about the Balrog winning. Technically, Dumbledore could defeat it with his magic, however, the Balrog has the physical advantage and probably the speed advantage. I don't think Dumbledore could tank a Balrog's attack so he'd probably go down before he could kill the Balrog.

While Dumbledore shows more power than Gandalf, it should still be taken into account that it took Gandalf days to 'double kill' against Durin's Bane.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Baldy: Finally we at least partly agree on something.. :)

justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By justleader

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@justleader said:

Im talking about movie human form gandalf.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By venomsapprentice
@Baldy said:

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

You could be right about the Balrog winning. Technically, Dumbledore could defeat it with his magic, however, the Balrog has the physical advantage and probably the speed advantage. I don't think Dumbledore could tank a Balrog's attack so he'd probably go down before he could kill the Balrog.

While Dumbledore shows more power than Gandalf, it should still be taken into account that it took Gandalf days to 'double kill' against Durin's Bane.

Are you kidding? Gandalf tanked with a simple shield charm. (or what would be simple to a hp wizard) 

And since no one can give an explanation of Gandalf's in book powers other than:
@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Tolkein also said that Gandalf was the wisest maiar.

I think we're forced to use the movies as source material. Are you familiar with the trope "Informed ability" Gandalf is made of that. And he has no feats to back it up.

"oh gandalf is a maiar" What does that mean? And why does it make him automatically powerful? Let me tell you: Dumbledore would never have fallen into that pit. He has demonstrated, in book and on screen, better magic than gandalf ever has, and if put in that exact same situation, he could have blasted that ENTIRE bridge from underneath the balrog.