Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SimplyAkri

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

So still Geralt's armor is superior to Drizzt's. Also Geralt uses Zweihänder(You can call it claymore/greatsword in english(claymores are two handed longswords if you don't know)) usually not Longswords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder

Geralt uses all sorts of weapons, but we're going by what he normally carries in his standard equipment. Long swords and silver swords. Not claymores. Even using a two-handed weapon slows him down in battle, so it wouldn't be advisable.

His standart equipment is Bastard sword more precisely. Longswords are too short when you compare them to his starting equipment.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

Bonus Video to show Geralt's finishers in game to make you get some ideas about how he fights:

There was no need for posting that video. I have the game here at home. I know how he fights.

Didn't know so i felt an urge to post it. No harm done :)

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By Static Shock

@Akriloth said:

No, it is only an enhanced scimitar against Geralt, since Geralt is not a demon.

Still looking for official information from the novels that suggests this is true.

@Akriloth said:

We are considering that Geralt is at his best like Drizzt so it is logical that Quen is level 3. And yes Drizzt would try to pass that barrier with rocks first otherwise just flee because he can never hit Geralt because Geralt will always have his Quen on against an opponent like Drizzt.

Assuming that Drizzt would try to pass the Quen with rocks (when has Drizzt ever conducted himself this way in a fight) or attack Geralt when he can clearly see that he's surrounded with magic isn't a very good assumption to make. Assuming that he would flee is also nonsense. There's no sense in saying that he can never hit Geralt and that he would always have Quen up throughout the battle, not to mention that Quen only lasts for a limited time and his Vigor doesn't regenerate while its up (not to mention that he's wasting Vigor by using it constantly).

@Akriloth said:

It does actually. According to DnD stats of Icingdeath, Icingdeath is an +3 Frostbrand Scimitar. So while there is no demons around his scimitar it is just a scimitar which protects Drizzt against fire, let's him dispel fires. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-3rd.htm

There is also fanmade stats which are more accurate, according to them Icingdeath is an Intelligent +2 Bane Frostbrand Scimitar. They are not official stats but they are made by Drizzt fans and DnD DMs which is enough to be considered true. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-35.htm

The books (let alone R.A. Salvatore) don't follow RPG stats (and nothing you posted there supports the weapon only working on demons). I need something from the novels or comic books that state Iceingdeath only works on demons. Fanmade stats have no bearing here, because they are not official.

@Akriloth said:

Actually Geralt is as strong as Wulfgar. At Act 3 you arm wrestle with a guy who uses potions to beat up people who is strong as Wulfgar and you can manage to beat him.

This is incorrect. The arm-wrestling match is impossible to win if he's using potions. You have to talk him out of using them to win the following arm-wrestling match after this or get the same potion he's using to amp Geralt's strength, making the arm-wrestling match easier after the first try. Even still, that guy (Mighty Numa) you arm-wrestle has not shown to be as strong as Wulfgar, and hasn't done anything to compare. You can't compare arm-wrestling to ripping off Golem heads and crushing skulls with nothing but your hands. Numa was only stated to have superhuman strength, but hasn't really displayed anything to suggest that he does

@Akriloth said:

Still not convinced? He can bend a dragon's neck. If you need proof pass to 3:30. I doubt Wulfgar can bend a dragon's neck.

I doubt Geralt could bend a dragon's neck without the use of his sword and a grappling hook, either. Both of those things gave him the ability to do that via leverage. He's not doing it with strength alone. If this were really a legitimate strength feat, I could be strong enough to lift a car because I used a jack.

@Akriloth said:

Actually no. Piercing strikes can be as fast as a slashing strike. If you look at weapon Rapier which uses piercing strikes with speed you can get what i mean but they are harder to land since you don't slash with them but stab with them.

Edit: Also don't forget that Geralt also throws daggers. Which do pierce.

Rapiers are made for piercing attacks and are several times lighter than long swords. Piercing attacks with long swords aren't as fast.

Daggers can be dodged with ease, and I'm willing to bet that Drizzt can react fast enough to parry them.

SimplyAkri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SimplyAkri

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

No, it is only an enhanced scimitar against Geralt, since Geralt is not a demon.

Still looking for official information from the novels that suggests this is true.

Everything shows it is just an enhanced sword otherwise he could froze Artemis Entreri or slow down his limbs with a slice. Not enough? I guess Obould's(orc king(hunter's blade trilogy)) limb would be frozen since he uses a flaming sword(didn't read that book yet but i doubt he frozes his hand like he did to that demon) but i doubt his arm do froze.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

We are considering that Geralt is at his best like Drizzt so it is logical that Quen is level 3. And yes Drizzt would try to pass that barrier with rocks first otherwise just flee because he can never hit Geralt because Geralt will always have his Quen on against an opponent like Drizzt.

Assuming that Drizzt would try to pass the Quen with rocks (when has Drizzt ever conducted himself this way in a fight) or attack Geralt when he can clearly see that he's surrounded with magic isn't a very good assumption to make. Assuming that he would flee is also nonsense. There's no sense in saying that he can never hit Geralt and that he would always have Quen up throughout the battle, not to mention that Quen only lasts for a limited time and his Vigor doesn't regenerate while its up (not to mention that he's wasting Vigor by using it constantly).

While Drizzt fights Ellifain/Leroniel he throws rocks against his barrier(she uses a similiar barrier to quen against drizzt which is rock solid). Considering that Geralt's vigor gets filled almost instantly with his best equipment it is safe to assume Quen is always up. Also he will have around 6 or 7 vigor by that time which is enough to keep Quen always up.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

It does actually. According to DnD stats of Icingdeath, Icingdeath is an +3 Frostbrand Scimitar. So while there is no demons around his scimitar it is just a scimitar which protects Drizzt against fire, let's him dispel fires. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-3rd.htm

There is also fanmade stats which are more accurate, according to them Icingdeath is an Intelligent +2 Bane Frostbrand Scimitar. They are not official stats but they are made by Drizzt fans and DnD DMs which is enough to be considered true. http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-35.htm

The books (let alone R.A. Salvatore) don't follow RPG stats (and nothing you posted there supports the weapon only working on demons). I need something from the novels or comic books that state Iceingdeath only works on demons. Fanmade stats have no bearing here, because they are not official.

At books i don't even remember icingdeath does frost damage to enemies, freeze them or frostbite enemies with slashes. It is just a good durable scimitar against nondemon creatures. If you still don't believe read all books and tell me when icingdeath does use it's frosting abilites on nondemons. Maybe it have got that power but Drizzt don't know it, still R.A. Salvatore doesn't mention frosting on nondemons.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

Actually Geralt is as strong as Wulfgar. At Act 3 you arm wrestle with a guy who uses potions to beat up people who is strong as Wulfgar and you can manage to beat him.

This is incorrect. The arm-wrestling match is impossible to win if he's using potions. You have to talk him out of using them to win the following arm-wrestling match after this or get the same potion he's using to amp Geralt's strength, making the arm-wrestling match easier after the first try. Even still, that guy (Mighty Numa) you arm-wrestle has not shown to be as strong as Wulfgar, and hasn't done anything to compare. You can't compare arm-wrestling to ripping off Golem heads and crushing skulls with nothing but your hands. Numa was only stated to have superhuman strength, but hasn't really displayed anything to suggest that he does

This is correct, it is possible to beat that arm-wrestling match. You just need a sensitive mouse and time to do it. If you want futher proof i can waste my 1-2 days on it, record it and show you that. And yes you can show arm wrestling as strength. Considering Numa is undefeated before you can assume he is as strong as Wulfgar. If not Geralt is still stronger than a Dwarf or an Orc which is enough to make an ELF's limbs tired.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

Still not convinced? He can bend a dragon's neck. If you need proof pass to 3:30. I doubt Wulfgar can bend a dragon's neck.

I doubt Geralt could bend a dragon's neck without the use of his sword and a grappling hook, either. Both of those things gave him the ability to do that via leverage. He's not doing it with strength alone. If this were really a legitimate strength feat, I could be strong enough to lift a car because I used a jack.

He uses a hook not a grappling hook. A simple, plain hook. And it is not leverage. Levering is something when you use a long stick like thing to easly lift off something. So it is not under "lever" action. So he does it with his strength alone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

Actually no. Piercing strikes can be as fast as a slashing strike. If you look at weapon Rapier which uses piercing strikes with speed you can get what i mean but they are harder to land since you don't slash with them but stab with them.

Edit: Also don't forget that Geralt also throws daggers. Which do pierce.

Rapiers are made for piercing attacks and are several times lighter than long swords. Piercing attacks with long swords aren't as fast.

Daggers can be dodged with ease, and I'm willing to bet that Drizzt can react fast enough to parry them.

Yes Rapiers are not heavy but still i doubt that Geralt would take hard time stabbing with a Bastard sword using his momentum.

And agree Daggers can be dodged with ease but a surprise attack with a dagger can be deadly.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Static Shock

@Akriloth said:

Yes Rapiers are not heavy but still i doubt that Geralt would take hard time stabbing with a Bastard sword using his momentum.

I didn't say he would have a hard time. I'm saying that considering the weight of swords he uses, stabbing/thrusting attacks would be slower than slash attacks. Thus, easier to anticipate and defend against.

@Akriloth said:

And yes you can show arm wrestling as strength. Considering Numa is undefeated before you can assume he is as strong as Wulfgar.

It's a terrible assumption, and it doesn't compare to anything Wulfgar has done. Just because he's undefeated doesn't make it so. Are any of the people his beaten as strong as Wulfgar (can they crush skulls and remove the heads superhumanly strong and durable beings)? Do you know exactly who Numa has beaten and what feats of strength they have? If the answer is no, then your assumption doesn't mean anything. There's not enough evidence to proof or assume Numa is as strong as Wulfgar because he hasn't anything to compare to him.

If I was undefeated in arm-wrestling, would that mean that I have superhuman strength and that I can crush skulls with ease?

@Akriloth said:

If not Geralt is still stronger than a Dwarf or an Orc which is enough to make an ELF's limbs tired.

Okay, and how strong is a dwarf in comparison Wulfgar (who is still stronger than Numa, and Drizzt was able to defend himself against Wulfgar without his arms getting tired)? How strong is an orc in comparison to Wulfgar? There's no way you can compare the strength of an ogre that Drizzt had trouble with to Geralt by drawing these meaningless parallels.@Akriloth said:

He uses a hook not a grappling hook. A simple, plain hook. And it is not leverage. Levering is something when you use a long stick like thing to easly lift off something. So it is not under "lever" action. So he does it with his strength alone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

It's a hook, nonetheless. He's definitely using leverage. He was using his sword to brace himself, he positioned his feet on the dragon's neck, and used the hook to pull its head back. The dragon itself is already in pain from the sword being driven through its neck, making it difficult to resist Geralt's pulling action with the hook driven in its head. Your link doesn't refute what I'm saying.

@Akriloth said:

While Drizzt fights Ellifain/Leroniel he throws rocks against his barrier(she uses a similiar barrier to quen against drizzt which is rock solid). Considering that Geralt's vigor gets filled almost instantly with his best equipment it is safe to assume Quen is always up. Also he will have around 6 or 7 vigor by that time which is enough to keep Quen always up.

First of all, the Battle Forum Rules state that they are fighting to the best of their ability to fight (meaning that both characters would be trying their best to beat each other), not that their stats and powers are maxed out. Thus, Geralt is fighting at his best, but it doesn't mean that Quen and his Vigor are maxed out, nor does it mean his wearing his best equipment (and since the OP doesn't state that they are, they would both be at their standard, initial levels and he would be wearing his standard initial equipment from the beginning of the game). That said, he would have to conserve his Vigor, and his Quen wouldn't be as powerful. So, no. Quen wouldn't always be up. It's limited, the barrier would disappear after one strike, and the barrier itself wouldn't reflect damage at its initial level.

@Akriloth said:

Everything shows it is just an enhanced sword otherwise he could froze Artemis Entreri or slow down his limbs with a slice. Not enough? I guess Obould's(orc king(hunter's blade trilogy)) limb would be frozen since he uses a flaming sword(didn't read that book yet but i doubt he frozes his hand like he did to that demon) but i doubt his arm do froze.

If you haven't read the book, how would you know if Iceingdeath didn't work on the Orc King?

@Akriloth said:

At books i don't even remember icingdeath does frost damage to enemies, freeze them or frostbite enemies with slashes. It is just a good durable scimitar against nondemon creatures. If you still don't believe read all books and tell me when icingdeath does use it's frosting abilites on nondemons. Maybe it have got that power but Drizzt don't know it, still R.A. Salvatore doesn't mention frosting on nondemons.

You made the claim that it didn't work on those that weren't demons. You should be able to defend it.

SimplyAkri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SimplyAkri

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

And yes you can show arm wrestling as strength. Considering Numa is undefeated before you can assume he is as strong as Wulfgar.

It's a terrible assumption, and it doesn't compare to anything Wulfgar has done. Just because he's undefeated doesn't make it so. Are any of the people his beaten as strong as Wulfgar (can they crush skulls and remove the heads superhumanly strong and durable beings)? Do you know exactly who Numa has beaten and what feats of strength they have? If the answer is no, then your assumption doesn't mean anything. There's not enough evidence to proof or assume Numa is as strong as Wulfgar because he hasn't anything to compare to him.

If I was undefeated in arm-wrestling, would that mean that I have superhuman strength and that I can crush skulls with ease?

Yes you can crush heads with ease IF you were World Champion. It does require a good amount of muscle mass. I doubt arm wrestling World Champion would take hard time crushing a head. This is your proof to assume numa with potions is as strong as Wulfgar.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

If not Geralt is still stronger than a Dwarf or an Orc which is enough to make an ELF's limbs tired.

Okay, and how strong is a dwarf in comparison Wulfgar (who is still stronger than Numa, and Drizzt was able to defend himself against Wulfgar without his arms getting tired)? How strong is an orc in comparison to Wulfgar? There's no way you can compare the strength of an ogre that Drizzt had trouble with to Geralt by drawing these meaningless parallels.

I know that an Orc or Dwarf can crush a Human's head easly with compressing it. Not sure if they can take off a golem's head but crushing a Human's head is enough for me. Also Drizzt doesn't block, he redirects blows. If he blocks blows from a strong opponent his arms gets numb(there is lots of places at books shows this). That's why his arm went numb after blocking an Ogre's club.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

It's a hook, nonetheless. He's definitely using leverage. He was using his sword to brace himself, he positioned his feet on the dragon's neck, and used the hook to pull its head back. The dragon itself is already in pain from the sword being driven through its neck, making it difficult to resist Geralt's pulling action with the hook driven in its head. Your link doesn't refute what I'm saying.

Not really it is not leverage. Then Wulfgar uses leverage while he swings or throws his hammer, also for crushing heads(since it is same mechanic with piston). And still considering how strong is an elder dragon bending a dragon's neck is not an easy feat even if it is with a hook and a sword.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

First of all, the Battle Forum Rules state that they are fighting to the best of their ability to fight (meaning that both characters would be trying their best to beat each other), not that their stats and powers are maxed out. Thus, Geralt is fighting at his best, but it doesn't mean that Quen and his Vigor are maxed out, nor does it mean his wearing his best equipment (and since the OP doesn't state that they are, they would both be at their standard, initial levels and he would be wearing his standard initial equipment from the beginning of the game). That said, he would have to conserve his Vigor, and his Quen wouldn't be as powerful. So, no. Quen wouldn't always be up. It's limited, the barrier would disappear after one strike, and the barrier itself wouldn't reflect damage at its initial level.

No, then we are taking Book Geralt into consideration, who haven't got Amnesia, Far Far more superior to The Witcher and The Witcher 2 Geralt. It is even more possible that he keeps his Quen always up. Yes his equipment can be Leather, his swords can be simple swords compared to Drizzt's but Geralt got magic, potions, traps, daggers and bombs at his disposal. Also we don't know if Drizzt have got his spidersilk armor and bracers too then. Also this means Drizzt can be the Drizzt which is at his 1st trilogy; "Dark Elf" who doesn't even have icingdeath and twinkle.

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

If you haven't read the book, how would you know if Iceingdeath didn't work on the Orc King?

I don't want to spoil that part for myself with finding an e-book and reading but wikis says they made a fierce duel and it got interrupted. It wouldn't be a duel if Orc King's arm froze and get stabbed instantly.

Quote from Forgotten Realms wiki: "In the book The Two Swords, Obould battled Drizzt Do'Urden in a vicious duel, but it was interrupted before a clear victor could be determined."

@Static Shock said:

@Akriloth said:

You made the claim that it didn't work on those that weren't demons. You should be able to defend it.

I am able to defend it, at non of fighting scenes icingdeath does froze, nor use an ability similiar to it. It is just an enhanced scimitar against nondemons. I doubt you can prove that it's frost abilities works on nondemons if you will do i will be enlightened but we don't take demons or evil outsiders into considiration.

Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Akriloth said:

I can't see how that makes icingdeath more superior. It's frost abilities only works against demons at books and since Geralt is not a demon icingdeath is only an enhanced scimitar.

From what i know icingdeath only freezes demons and does nothing against nondemons(even if they carry a flaming sword). It protects Drizzt from fire, yes Drizzt wouldn't be on fire if Geralt sliced/pierced but it wouldn't froze Geralt's arm since Geralt's sword is not flaming but got a rune which incinerates enemy IF he slices/pierces.

Icingdeath has in fact worked on things besides Demons. From a technical standpoint it is more a weapon against Fire-based creatures/elemental/etc than just demons. Off the top of my head Iceingdeath canceled out the flaming ability of Obould's flaming greatsword (Two-handed sword).

@Akriloth: The biggest thing I've seen throughout your debate that you should keep in mind. Game mechanics does not equal canon. Assumptions does not make up for facts and hard evidence. Such as quotes from a book or something besides a (This sword from the game lets him regenerate his health. Hmm, well that is in your game play. Perhaps in my game play he never obtained this weapon, item, or potion. See the difference?)

As for the Wulfgar strength debate. I believe it is in the Halfings Gem book, Wulfgar with his bare hands ends up holding open a collapsing portal. Mentions in the book place that as an insane strength feat. Besides that we have seen him topple monsters a heck of a lot stronger than just an Ogre with his maul/hammer. I've seen nothing to suggest that Gerlat is stronger than Wulfgar. Plenty of assumptions but no actual feats.

@Akriloth said:

No, then we are taking Book Geralt into consideration, who haven't got Amnesia, Far Far more superior to The Witcher and The Witcher 2 Geralt. It is even more possible that he keeps his Quen always up. Yes his equipment can be Leather, his swords can be simple swords compared to Drizzt's but Geralt got magic, potions, traps, daggers and bombs at his disposal. Also we don't know if Drizzt have got his spidersilk armor and bracers too then. Also this means Drizzt can be the Drizzt which is at his 1st trilogy; "Dark Elf" who doesn't even have icingdeath and twinkle.

Standard equipment would mean items they typically/always have on them. Since obtaining his two magical scimitars and the spidersilk shirt he has hardly/never been without them. Hence they being standard equipment. With that being said Heartseeker would also be standard equipment for him with the latest trilogy. (However the Bow and Guen are already stated as being omitted from this battle).

I2edShift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to bring this one up from the grave, just because. Even a heavily boosted and prepared Geralt isn't going to win this. He would be able to hold Drizzt off for a couple minutes at most, but unless he gets terribly lucky, Geralt just doesn't have anything that Drizzt hasn't seen (and won against) before.

Standard Equipment for Drizzt would be as follow...

Icingdeath (scimitar), Twinkle (scimitar), spidersilk shirt, mithral chainmail armor, Piwafi Elven cloak of Concealment, Taulmaril the Heartseeker (longbow w/ endless silver arrows), Bracers of Speed, and Guenhwyvar his uber-panther companion.

While his swords were terrible in prior rules, they've been re-done for 4th Edition (Dragon magazine #386 & Dungeon Magazine #171). His weapons are now +5 cold and +5 radiant damage weapons, which in 4th edition puts them in low-epic levels (levels 19-24). They're actually pretty good weapons by D&D standards. His sword grants him some heavy fire resistance, and literally sucks the life force from fire-oriented creatures, 1-hit KO'ing them if the stab is held long enough. The magic spidersilk shirt protects his torso from heavy stabs, and his lightly enchanted mithral chainmail is fairly tough,. The bracer's of speed (that are worn on his ankles) give him greatly speed up his footwork and allow for extremely fast running. His bow (Taulmaril) is a Force/Lightning damage weapon and is easily his most powerful, which is I suppose why we're omitting it for this gladiator style duel.

Physical & mental abilities are easy to show, except for strength, where official stats contradict the novels. His official stats as a 21st level monster in D&D 4th edition (Dungeon magazine #171, Page 100) are as follows...

Strength - 22 / Constitution -15 / Dexterity - 24 / Intelligence - 15 / Wisdom - 17 / Charisma - 13

9 -10 is the human average, where as something like 20 strength is the upper limit of Olympic weight lifters. 20 Intelligence is equivalent to something like a 190 IQ. These (again actually official) stats perfectly reflect his abilities, except for strength. Which would be more appropriate as a 14 or 15. He's very physically fit from all of his adventuring and training with his swords, but he's still only about 5'4 and 140 lbs. He relies on technique, finesse, speed, and his wits to win in a fight. Not brute strength.

To be blunt, Drizzt is one of the very best bladesmen in all of Toril (the Forgotten Realms continent), there are only a handful of individuals on his level. He's regularly beaten opponents who are faster (always through magic), far stronger, and better equipped than him. He's deflected throwing dagger in rapid succession with his swords, out-fought a speed enhanced Elven weapon-master of great fame, out fought a god-chosen Orc who is literally as strong as a giant, and bested several wizards. He's a renowned ranger of no small fame and skill in the current time-line. Basically, you're going to lose in melee with against him. Your luck with magic is better, but he's still to fast & agile to get hit by the majority of traps and spells.

Even without his bow and panther, he's still substantially better equipped than Geralt, who's only real advantage is his higher strength, durability, mutagens, and spells. That sounds like enough to more than even things out, but Geralt's spells are really minor spells in a world like Forgotten Realms, and easily evaded by someone like Drizzt. His mutagen's would make him a faster, stronger, and quicker to react, but it's still not enough to keep up with Drizzt, who's basically legendary (in a world much bigger and full of heroes) for his speed, agility, and skill with a blade.

It's not that I think Geralt is a weakling. He's anything but. But if you read the novels, Drizzt has repeatedly beaten others who are faster, better equipped, and physically far stronger than him. Geralt's spells aren't really an asset, so it comes down to an old fashioned swordfight. Skilled as Geralt is, stimmed up on greater mutagens, I just don't see him winning against Drizzt. He's beaten better than Geralt before, and quite a few times.

Aetherius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geralt is strong but I think Drizzt has more chances to win this fight

Talon_Deadeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drizzt Wins.

1. More more experience fighting 100+ years. He's beaten master swordsman and as many if not more monsters than Geralt.

2. Geralt needs prep to use potions.

3. Drows are naturally resistant to magic. Geralt's magic was never super powerful so I don't think he can over came the resistance.

4. Drizzt has too many magical items. A Ice magic sword that would slow down Geralt if it hits. A sword with defending and danger detection magic helping him parry with one sword then strike with an other.

5. Drizzt is faster even without the bracers but with them he'll out maneuver The Witcher.

6. Deeper Darkness spell+Blind fighting= Geralt losing.

7. The Hunter persona.

NerosShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I can see the latest and most experienced Geralt putting up a fight close to, but not quite equivalent to Artemis. Martial skill would be matched except by Drizzt's experience and cunning, which i could see resulting in a disarm or putting Drizzt in an obvious kill position in which they would shake hands and go grab a beer. I'm gonna see if I can make a proper character sheet for Geralt as well.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumping this thanks to Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt release! So much excitement!

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still Drizzt, doe.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly think this might go either way. Drizzt is the superior swordsman imo, although Geralt can certainly hold his own in that regard. Both have comparable reaction feats of smaking arrows and crossbow bolts out of the air. Drizzt has superior footwork thanks to his anklets that enhance his speed, but Geralt has faced opponents faster than him fairly often. The real thing that I see Drizzt having trouble with is Geralt's signs. Granted the drow has faced more powerful spells from mages and the like but he's had trouble with people who are both skilled swordsman and know how to throw a spell or two. He was almost killed by Ellifain who was inferior to Geralt in both regards imo, though that was after Drizzt had fought through a pirate base and he didn't have nearly the experience he has now. Really though flip a coin.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheMightyAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheMightyAlex

Geralt, because Drizzt would explode at the sight of someone so awesome.

Really though, I'm going to try and give a bit more analysis on Geralt since I feel he isn't represented accurately enough. First of all I'm just going to say that I don't know much about Drizzt other than what I've read here and elsewhere and I've only played the first Witcher game, though I'm starting the second right now.

A few points that I think are worth mentioning:

1. Although we can assume Geralt wouldn't be prepared for a specific opponent, it's likely he always carries around some additional supplies with him. Though he might not know this initially, some of his weapons, such as his bombs, could be quite effective. For example, the Zerrikanian Sun bomb creates a bright flash that can blind opponents. I don't know exactly how drow react to lights like this, so if someone could help me with that that would be great. The Dragon's Dream is another potentially powerful bomb.

2. Just confirming that Geralt is in fact stated to be much stronger than average people. It comes with his mutations supposedly.

3. Some of his potions are extremely powerful and could make the difference between winning and losing. Swallows are easily one of the most useful potions, and in this particular fight, if he has a blizzard potion on him, that could help immensely as well. Other potential potions could be wolf/wolverine potions.

4. To any of you who think that he wouldn't be prepared or he wouldn't be using potions, in the first game, he says something along the lines of: "A witcher without potions is half a witcher." Therefore, he would at least have some potions, otherwise, Drizzt would be fighting half of a Geralt.

5. Finally, what I believe to be my weakest point, is that he also has weapon coatings and such that might help him out a bit in battle, though that one is a bit iffy to me.

Kylecaraway630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that this is two diffrent worlds with different elements and different types of arms. Geralt is defently stronger than a normal human by alot and we can all agree to that hes also faster than a normal human and has hightened senses that alot him to know were his opponents are at and what they are. Drizzt might have an item that warns him of danger but not one that lets him know what it is exactly were geralt will be able to prep more than him cause of his knowlage that his senses give him. Normally more prep time and knowing what your fighting give huge advantages. The argument about drizzts weapons is arguable too. Yes its magical but dimeritium idk how to spell it if thats wrong but its anti magic material that pretty much all the advanced witcher gear has in it. This would cancel out any magical enchantments that anything has meaning now drizzt is just a person with to tiny swords aganst a person who is increadably strong and dexterous with tones of will to back him. Though i am saying this without knowing drizzt fully i would think that a genetically enhanced human would have more of an advantage then someone whos only gotten strong through his experience. There are also hints in witcher 3 of geralt basically being the best swordsman in there world witch if your converging the two worlds geralt would be on a same skill level of sword fighting as drizzt. Geralt had oils to help bombs and even a crossbow making drizzts advantage of range attack useless and a witcher would study hid opponents before even fighting them the truth is there are to many varriables and the worlds are too different to compair these two increadable warriors.

Kylecaraway630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also im not stating that either would win i was throwing in some unstated facts about geralt and his gear but if i had to bet id go with geralt cause of the fact that they stat hes super human in every way speed strength cunning smarts and he has way more items to help with combat than drizzt. He takes a blizzard your cutting out the differences of dex he takes a swallow then uses quen he has a sheild that can wothstand a rock throw easily with regeneration he has bombs and a flash bang will render a dark elve useless winning the fight before it even starts but like i said there worlds are to different also drizzt is not super elve or enhanced in any way beside his race abilities.

Kylecaraway630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also see alot of ppl stateing that geralts signs are magical but in his world there more like abilities than magic cause only certain people in his world can actually use magic though im am not 100% sure on this but witcher 3 makes them out to not be spells meaning no sr for poor drizzt. Figured witcher 3 is when geralts at his best lol.

Xerolot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kylecaraway630: In canon books it is stated that signs are low level magic

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55: Physically Geralt should be stronger and durability would be even. Drizzt takes agility and speed (thanks to his enchanted bracers) though Geralt should still be able to react.

Skillwise I think Drizzt should have an edge, mainly beceuse he has more feats of fighting with true swordsmans than Geralt. Also having to blades is always better than having one, it gives the fighter more options in combat.

Magic... Geralt clearly has more options. Nevertheless Axii would be ineffective (beceuse of Drizzt's willpower) and Igni wouldn't do anything to Drizzt (beceuse of protection against fire granted by Icingdeath). Also drows are naturally more resistant to magic (according to D&D rules). I'm not sure how it works in books though (it's been a while since I read any of them and I've stopped at The Ghost King). Globes of darkness summoned by Drizzt could give him an openning but seeing as Geralt can fight even when blindfolded I'm not very convinced.

I would propably back-up Drizzt for smallest majority. Either way, it would be EXTREMELY good fight.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drizzt wins. Here's an easy way to compare them:

Fighting Skills:

Geralt is a very powerful swordsman. However, he is specifically a monster hunter, not a duelist, and we've seen him having troubles in duels when going against skilled opponents before, even when they were just humans. Drizzt is known to be an unbeatable duelist who ever since he achieved his prime (around the time when he became Adventurer of the Hall) never lost a duel in his life, despite fighting beings much, MUCH more powerful then himself. He is the BEST duelist in his lore, and one of the best duelists in fiction. Has hundreds of years of experience more then Geralt in the matter. Although the gap might still not be very huge here, it is just fair to say that Drizzt has an upper hand in this category. Dueling with his scimitars it's just what Drizzt does best. Geralt is a good swordsman, but not among the best in fiction, not even in his own lore.

1/0 for Drizzt

Physical strength:

Being a witcher, Geralt obviously has a strength more impressive then most humans, however, he still doesn't have super-human strength, just very, very impressive and enough to overpower MOST humans. (since Geralt can lose a fist fight in a pub with regular humans, it's fair to not that he is not actually far ahead of humans). Drizzt being and elf, who are by definition weaker in Forgotten Realms then humans, is obviously behind in this category. However, it must be said that the difference it's still not huge. Drizzt is used to fighting very strong opponents, much, MUCH stronger then Geralt and was always utilizing his speed and other advantages to make up for his lack of muscle. Still, Drizzt being a warrior all his life for hundreds of years has just as much strength as his species can, basically, he is peak elf physical strength - versus Geralt's peak human physical strength. That's a win for Geralt, but not a major one.

1/1 tie for Drizzt/Geralt

Physical speed:

Here, it's not a minor thing. Drizzt is the king of speed. Being able to move literally faster then an eye of his opponents can track, and disappear into thin air in plain sight, he is so fast, even super-natural beings with actual super-speed abilities can't keep up with him. His blades are always described as being blurry and impossible to follow while in combat against him performing hundreds of leathal blows every minute. Not only is Drizzt naturally so fast, he also has magical bracelets on his feet (in his shoes slot :P ) that multiply his already insane speed even further. Comparing this to Geralt, we can't really say that the difference is small. Geralt is fast - and again, faster then most humans. He can block arrows with his sword (most of the time :( ) BUT his speed is still not nearly comparable to Drizzt, who literally moves and attacks in a blur. This is a decisive edge for Drizzt.

2/1 for Drizzt

Stamina and durability:

Both Geralt and Drizzt can fight for insanely long periods of time without being tired and can take loads of punishment before even showing weakness. Here, I'd say it's hard to say who would have an edge. Drizzt has stamina to fight without sleep or food for days, and took seemingly leathal blows without slowing down more times then you can count. However, Geralt's endurance is also legendary and he is a born hunter, on top of being a witcher who doesn't need to rest as much as humans. I'd say they are ABOUT equal in this category. Argument can be made however, that one of them would eventually find an edge against another here.

3/2 for Drizzt

Magic powers:

Drizzt's magic is a lot more impressive then Witcher signs that are really more of a field advantage tool then spells of actual value. Drizzt however, also has plenty of typical "field advantage" powers like his ball of darkness or faerie fire, but on top of these, he has some insane magical crap going on. Most of his gear is enhanced with very powerful magic, giving him some pretty major hax. Even with Guen and heartseeker disabled for this fight, he still stomps this category very hard. One of his scimitars gives him ability to suck up fire and heat into his blade, and makes him completely immune to extreme temperatures, he can even survive a demon literally vomiting fireballs on his face. His shoes mentioned before, give him supernatural speed, and his drow cloak (the new one, given to him by jarlaxle) can make him undetectable if he doesn't want to be seen. He also has a ring of elemental command and a whistle that summons a magical unicorn to protect him. As I said, freakin, major has, and a serious stomp over Geralt.

4/2 for Drizzt

Weapons and gadgets:

Putting this shortly - Geralt has just human made, normal swords, daggers and crossbow on occasion. Yes his swords are maybe best of the best, made of silver, pure steel and refined by best blacksmiths he could find - but they are still human made weapons with no magical enhancements. That is again, going to give Drizzt a major edge in the fight. Drizzt besides having hunter bow and hidden daggers and all that stuff, he has magical scimitars that are very powerful artifacts, and they will never break when encountering an armor or weapon of the same or lower magical category. They will also casually cut through rock and steel like through butter, being magically sharpened to impossible degree. Not to mention both of Drizzt's scimitars have their own magical properties as well. Another edge for Drizzt.

5/2 for Drizzt

Armor, shields and protection:

Here again, Drizzt simply outshines Geralt. Geralt is a humble hunter, he doesn't even wear full plate armor, he just wears leather or chain mail on occasion, probably preferring to be quick on his feet more then well protected. He also doesn't use a shield of any kind, and uses only one two handed sword at the time, which makes for a limited defensive choice, even with Geralt's mastery. Drizzt has a spider silk shirt that protects his vulnerable spots from taken damage. He also has a magical chain armor made of mithral which is basically indestructible and very light. Even his cloak has protective magical abilities and his choice of weapons - light, dual wielding swords - gives him a many defensive options in a fight, as he is a multi-tasking genius and was even able to even deflect arrows and spear with just one of his swords, while attacking and dealing death blows with the other. Drizzt takes this category hands down

6/2 for Drizzt

Like I said, Drizzt wins this. It would not be an easy fight for him, but he is eventually gonna defeat Geralt, being more skilled and experienced fighter, much faster then him and having a lot of very powerful magical powers and weapons in his arsenal that Geralt can't counter. Geralt doesn't even have many options to injure Drizzt because of his magical armor and insane reflexes. Drizzt should take this at least 8/10. Not a stomp and definitely a good fight worth watching. But Drizzt will win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55: Are Drizzt's books worth reading?

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thoromdil: what's the first book in the series mate? I might pop into a book shop on the way home.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thoromdil: what's the first book in the series mate? I might pop into a book shop on the way home.

The whole saga about Drizzt is called the Legend of Drizzt. It starts with a Book called "Homeland" which is a part of Dark elf Trilogy, basically a first part of the whole Drizzt Legend, covering his childhood and origin story. It's also relatively new book compared to others, possibly because it is a prequel, but it's worth starting with that one.

The saga about Drizzt is one of the best fiction book series I have ever read. I have bought at least 8 books from the series and read the whole thing several times. I recommend it to everyone who loves adventure and fiction. :)

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By the_wspanialy

Time to clarify some things:

@thoromdil said:

Fighting Skills:

Geralt is a very powerful swordsman. However, he is specifically a monster hunter, not a duelist, and we've seen him having troubles in duels when going against skilled opponents before, even when they were just humans. Drizzt is known to be an unbeatable duelist who ever since he achieved his prime (around the time when he became Adventurer of the Hall) never lost a duel in his life, despite fighting beings much, MUCH more powerful then himself. He is the BEST duelist in his lore, and one of the best duelists in fiction. Has hundreds of years of experience more then Geralt in the matter. Although the gap might still not be very huge here, it is just fair to say that Drizzt has an upper hand in this category. Dueling with his scimitars it's just what Drizzt does best. Geralt is a good swordsman, but not among the best in fiction, not even in his own lore.

1/0 for Drizzt

There we go again... So what that he is mainly a monster hunter? Drizzt also fights mainly monsters or fodder like orcs. And it's not like he had multiple close fights with Artemis Entrerii, who is also "just human".

Right now Drizzt is somewhere around 200 years old so the gap isn't exactly huge. And it's not like it's some sort of decidng factor anyway. Drizzt was able to fight evenly with his father Zakanafein who at that time had over 400 years of combat experience. Batman (who is not even a dedicated swordsman) was able to soundly beat Ra's al Ghul, one of the best swordsmans in DC Universe, with houndreds of years of practise.

Geralt has been beaten (in one-on-one, CQC combat) ONCE in his entire carier, and it was by the hands of Vilgefortz (the most powerful mage in Witcherverse) who could amp his strenght and speed to super-human levels. I suppose case can be made for Vesemir being better swordsman than Geralt. Other than that yes, Geralt IS the best swordsman in his universe. He has both accolydes and feats to back it up.

Yes, Drizzt has the edge. Still your continuing lowballing of Geralt is laughable.

Physical strength:

Being a witcher, Geralt obviously has a strength more impressive then most humans, however, he still doesn't have super-human strength, just very, very impressive and enough to overpower MOST humans. (since Geralt can lose a fist fight in a pub with regular humans, it's fair to not that he is not actually far ahead of humans). Drizzt being and elf, who are by definition weaker in Forgotten Realms then humans, is obviously behind in this category. However, it must be said that the difference it's still not huge. Drizzt is used to fighting very strong opponents, much, MUCH stronger then Geralt and was always utilizing his speed and other advantages to make up for his lack of muscle. Still, Drizzt being a warrior all his life for hundreds of years has just as much strength as his species can, basically, he is peak elf physical strength - versus Geralt's peak human physical strength. That's a win for Geralt, but not a major one.

Agreed.

Physical speed:

Here, it's not a minor thing. Drizzt is the king of speed. Being able to move literally faster then an eye of his opponents can track, and disappear into thin air in plain sight, he is so fast, even super-natural beings with actual super-speed abilities can't keep up with him. His blades are always described as being blurry and impossible to follow while in combat against him performing hundreds of leathal blows every minute. Not only is Drizzt naturally so fast, he also has magical bracelets on his feet (in his shoes slot :P ) that multiply his already insane speed even further. Comparing this to Geralt, we can't really say that the difference is small. Geralt is fast - and again, faster then most humans. He can block arrows with his sword (most of the time :( ) BUT his speed is still not nearly comparable to Drizzt, who literally moves and attacks in a blur. This is a decisive edge for Drizzt.

2/1 for Drizzt

Moving and attacking in blur speed isn't anything beyond Geralt's capabilities. Also Drizzt's bracelets increaseonly his running speed (just like they only increased speed of Dantrag Baenre's hands). On his base speed he doesn't move faster than Geralt. Even with bracelets taken into account, Geralt consistently reacts to creatures moving in blur speed, combining blur speed with invisibility and teleporters.

Stamina and durability:

Both Geralt and Drizzt can fight for insanely long periods of time without being tired and can take loads of punishment before even showing weakness. Here, I'd say it's hard to say who would have an edge. Drizzt has stamina to fight without sleep or food for days, and took seemingly leathal blows without slowing down more times then you can count. However, Geralt's endurance is also legendary and he is a born hunter, on top of being a witcher who doesn't need to rest as much as humans. I'd say they are ABOUT equal in this category. Argument can be made however, that one of them would eventually find an edge against another here.

3/2 for Drizzt

Agreed.

Magic powers:

Drizzt's magic is a lot more impressive then Witcher signs that are really more of a field advantage tool then spells of actual value. Drizzt however, also has plenty of typical "field advantage" powers like his ball of darkness or faerie fire, but on top of these, he has some insane magical crap going on. Most of his gear is enhanced with very powerful magic, giving him some pretty major hax. Even with Guen and heartseeker disabled for this fight, he still stomps this category very hard. One of his scimitars gives him ability to suck up fire and heat into his blade, and makes him completely immune to extreme temperatures, he can even survive a demon literally vomiting fireballs on his face. His shoes mentioned before, give him supernatural speed, and his drow cloak (the new one, given to him by jarlaxle) can make him undetectable if he doesn't want to be seen. He also has a ring of elemental command and a whistle that summons a magical unicorn to protect him. As I said, freakin, major has, and a serious stomp over Geralt.

4/2 for Drizzt

In this paragraph you should focus on their own magical abilities, not on their gear (which you covered in next paragraphs). Drizzt has globes of darkness and faerie fire. First of which COULD be useful while second wouldn't. Geralt has five different signs (seven if you count Heliotrope and Somne). Axii wouldn't work beceuse of Drizzt's willpower and Icingdeath would render Igni useless. Aard, Yrden and Quen would still be useful though. Geralt takes this category based on pure mathematic.

Just beceuse his drow cloak "make him undetectable if he doesn't want to be seen" doesn't mean he can't be heard.

Separate "magic powers" from gear.

@thoromdil said:

Weapons and gadgets:

Putting this shortly - Geralt has just human made, normal swords, daggers and crossbow on occasion. Yes his swords are maybe best of the best, made of silver, pure steel and refined by best blacksmiths he could find - but they are still human made weapons with no magical enhancements. That is again, going to give Drizzt a major edge in the fight. Drizzt besides having hunter bow and hidden daggers and all that stuff, he has magical scimitars that are very powerful artifacts, and they will never break when encountering an armor or weapon of the same or lower magical category. They will also casually cut through rock and steel like through butter, being magically sharpened to impossible degree. Not to mention both of Drizzt's scimitars have their own magical properties as well. Another edge for Drizzt.

5/2 for Drizzt

According to lore, witcher swords are made by dwarves. Witcher steel sword is made from meteorite steel. And they are capable of cutting through plate armors of Wild Hunt's soldiers (elven made you know) and magically enhanced skin of stone golems.

Besides, being made by elf doesn't automatically elevate a weapon above those created by human.

Overall yeah, Drizzt's weapons are better. But Geralt is not outclassed.

Also, things like Guen's figurine and whistle should be put in this category. Not that it counts for much, since summons are restricted.

Here again, Drizzt simply outshines Geralt. Geralt is a humble hunter, he doesn't even wear full plate armor, he just wears leather or chain mail on occasion, probably preferring to be quick on his feet more then well protected. He also doesn't use a shield of any kind, and uses only one two handed sword at the time, which makes for a limited defensive choice, even with Geralt's mastery. Drizzt has a spider silk shirt that protects his vulnerable spots from taken damage. He also has a magical chain armor made of mithral which is basically indestructible and very light. Even his cloak has protective magical abilities and his choice of weapons - light, dual wielding swords - gives him a many defensive options in a fight, as he is a multi-tasking genius and was even able to even deflect arrows and spear with just one of his swords, while attacking and dealing death blows with the other. Drizzt takes this category hands down

6/2 for Drizzt

Drizzt's armor is better, yeah.

Like I said, Drizzt wins this. It would not be an easy fight for him, but he is eventually gonna defeat Geralt, being more skilled and experienced fighter, much faster then him and having a lot of very powerful magical powers and weapons in his arsenal that Geralt can't counter. Geralt doesn't even have many options to injure Drizzt because of his magical armor and insane reflexes. Drizzt should take this at least 8/10. Not a stomp and definitely a good fight worth watching. But Drizzt will win.

Yes, Drizzt wins. But his speed isn't enough to grant him any sort of sustainable advantage. His magical powers are limited to globes of darkness (which could be useful) and faerie fire (which wouldn't be) and summons and Heartseeker are restricted. Geralt's sword most definitely can injure Drizzt.

@lubub55 said:

@lubub55: Are Drizzt's books worth reading?

Depends what you seek. It's much different than Witcher Saga or A Song of Ice and Fire. It's typical heroic fantasy. Salvatore is very... chimeric writer. He can write something really awesome in one book, just to write something boring and utterly forgetable in next book. But overall yeah, if you're into light, adventure novels it's worth reading.

Give it a chance. First six books I can reccomend without a doubt.

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wspanialy:

Geralt has been beaten (in one-on-one, CQC combat) ONCE in his entire carier, and it was by the hands of Vilgefortz (the most powerful mage in Witcherverse) who could amp his strenght and speed to super-human levels. I suppose case can be made for Vesemir being better swordsman than Geralt. Other than that yes, Geralt IS the best swordsman in his universe. He has both accolydes and feats to back it up.

The first fight with Letho also springs to mind, though he obviously rectifies that later on. I haven't read all the books though.

Give it a chance. First six books I can reccomend without a doubt.

Whats the first (non prequel) book? Forgot to stop in Waterstones yesterday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingcrimson: Letho won that fight, true. However he did thanks to his superior magical power. Just before being incapacitated, Geralt disarmed him. So in my eyes he proved to be superior swordsman.

The Cristal Shard was the first book featuring Drizzt. However I recommend starting with Homeland.

@lubub55 yeah, pretty light.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wspanialy: So Dark Elf is a prequel trilogy? Should I read that first or the release order?

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55: You should definetely read prequel trilogy first. Everything post-The Halfling Gem make references to prequel trilogy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed you replied back then, so Imma comment back at ya. ;)

Time to clarify some things:

@thoromdil said:

Fighting Skills:

1/0 for Drizzt

There we go again... So what that he is mainly a monster hunter? Drizzt also fights mainly monsters or fodder like orcs. And it's not like he had multiple close fights with Artemis Entrerii, who is also "just human".

Right now Drizzt is somewhere around 200 years old so the gap isn't exactly huge. And it's not like it's some sort of decidng factor anyway. Drizzt was able to fight evenly with his father Zakanafein who at that time had over 400 years of combat experience. Batman (who is not even a dedicated swordsman) was able to soundly beat Ra's al Ghul, one of the best swordsmans in DC Universe, with houndreds of years of practise.

Yes, Drizzt has the edge. Still your continuing lowballing of Geralt is laughable.

I wouldn't agree about Geralt being the best. Vilgefortz and Vesemir are good calls, but I can think of a whole number of people who could beat Geralt, or at least tie with him like Ciri, Bonhart, and probably Skellen as well. Point is, Geralt is not meant to be the best fighter in his lore.

Also sorry if lowballing is what it looks like. Like I said, I do believe Geralt is a great swordsman. However, there is a distinct difference between a profession of a hunter and a profession of a duelist. Drizzt was raised to be the next weapons master of his house, and swordplay is just what he does best since being a teenager, he is a multi-tasking swordplay genius, he outplayed his own master Zaknafein, who was the best and undefeated duelist when he was just 20 years old while Zaknafein was 200+ and was fighting all of his life. Geralt is great swordsman, but he is monster hunter first, he knows everything about monsters and that's what he does for the most of his time, while occasionally breaking into a sword fights with humans/other witchers etc. Drizzt is a duelist first, he even trained some of the most powerful fighters in his lore like Wulfgar and Catti-brie by himself from a noob to a master. Swordplay is just his world.

@thoromdil said:

Physical strength:

Agreed.

@thoromdil said:

Physical speed:

2/1 for Drizzt

Moving and attacking in blur speed isn't anything beyond Geralt's capabilities. Also Drizzt's bracelets increaseonly his running speed (just like they only increased speed of Dantrag Baenre's hands). On his base speed he doesn't move faster than Geralt. Even with bracelets taken into account, Geralt consistently reacts to creatures moving in blur speed, combining blur speed with invisibility and teleporters.

Reacting to creatures that move in a blur does not mean he can do the same himself bro. A human can react to a car going 100 km/h and dodge it, hell maybe even hit it when it's going past him - but can a human RUN 100 km/h himself? No. It's not a good logic dude.

Do you have some actual feats of Geralt doing that? When exactly did Geralt move faster then eyes of his enemies can follow, or "in a blur"? Drizzt is literally descbribed like this in his every fight. And I know Sapkowski's books and I really can't remember anything like this about Geralt. He is fast, yeah but a blur? Faster then eye can track? Hardly. Drizzt IS faster, it's a fact.

And even if you wanna argue that Geralt is as fast as Drizzt, the bracelets DO give Drizzt a decisive edge here beyond a doubt. Yeah Drizzt's running speed is most certainly increased, but that's not all. He does utilize it in his duels as a form of combat speed enhancer. Like I said above Drizzt's world is swordplay. Footwork is a very important part of it. Drizzt uses his bracelets to improve his footwork, changing sides, going back and forward with his attacks so fast while sword fighting that his opponent just can not follow. Basically, bracelets DO improve his combat speed even further to an impossible - magical degree.

@thoromdil said:

Stamina and durability:

3/2 for Drizzt

Agreed.

@thoromdil said:

Magic powers:

4/2 for Drizzt

In this paragraph you should focus on their own magical abilities, not on their gear (which you covered in next paragraphs). Drizzt has globes of darkness and faerie fire. First of which COULD be useful while second wouldn't. Geralt has five different signs (seven if you count Heliotrope and Somne). Axii wouldn't work beceuse of Drizzt's willpower and Icingdeath would render Igni useless. Aard, Yrden and Quen would still be useful though. Geralt takes this category based on pure mathematic.

Just beceuse his drow cloak "make him undetectable if he doesn't want to be seen" doesn't mean he can't be heard.

Separate "magic powers" from gear.

Well some of the gear is specifically FOR magic, it's basically like wands for sorcerers and stuff. Drizzt's ring of elemental command is hardly anything else then just a wand really. Similarly with his whistle, and some of his weapons's properties. (Also summons are not banned - Guen is banned. Unicorn wasn't.) So it's hard to separate that clearly. Anyway, I didn't even mention all of Drizzt's natural powers. For example I didn't mention Drizzt has the ability to see in complete darkness or that he has a natural magic resistance that make most magic ineffective or barely effective on him. Well, whatever, the point is, overall magic usage for Drizzt is much higher - and the magic is more powerful - then in Witchers case.

@thoromdil said:

Weapons and gadgets:

5/2 for Drizzt

According to lore, witcher swords are made by dwarves. Witcher steel sword is made from meteorite steel. And they are capable of cutting through plate armors of Wild Hunt's soldiers (elven made you know) and magically enhanced skin of stone golems.

Besides, being made by elf doesn't automatically elevate a weapon above those created by human.

Overall yeah, Drizzt's weapons are better. But Geralt is not outclassed.

Also, things like Guen's figurine and whistle should be put in this category. Not that it counts for much, since summons are restricted.

Wow nice info, thanks. I don't know how I missed that. Really didn't know Geralt's sword was made of meteorite steel by dwarves. Well that most certainly puts them on another level. Still we agreed Drizzt's weapons are even more powerful then that so the conclusion is still an edge for Drizzt. Especially that I doubt meteorite steel can cut through mithral+ spidersilk, while Drizzt's weapons will definitely cut through Geralt's armor.

@thoromdil said:

6/2 for Drizzt

Drizzt's armor is better, yeah.

@thoromdil said:

Yes, Drizzt wins. But his speed isn't enough to grant him any sort of sustainable advantage. His magical powers are limited to globes of darkness (which could be useful) and faerie fire (which wouldn't be) and summons and Heartseeker are restricted. Geralt's sword most definitely can injure Drizzt.

Yeah, again summons aren't restricted, only Guen was. Anyway, I do think that Drizzt would win this in a sword battle, he could use magic to help him as his magic is just better in my opinion, especially the ring of elemental command, but he probably wouldn't have to. He is a better swordman, his fighting style will give him an advantage over Geralt, because Drizzt fights with two swords at the same time - which with his multi-tasking genius basically means fighting two independent blades at the same time. Geralt will be outplayed after a long and hard fight, Drizzt will land a few casual hits - Geralt will land a few casual hits - but Drizzt will find a lethal opening first, and he is gonna take punishment better because of his superior armor. That's how I see this fight going down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Old_Blighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drizzt should win, Geralts is overrated.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A interesting match up.

Avatar image for varricpatermann
VarricPatermann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers