• 80 results
#1 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio

The Predator's have developed the ability to travel across dimensions, and are using this technology to find the greatest prey in the multi-verse. After several amateur Predators disappeared without a trace after traveling to Drizzt's dimension, an Elder decides that a worthy opponent must reside there, and sets out to the last known coordinates of the young ones.

Drizzt has been hounded by strange new creatures for the last few months and is always weary of another attack.

The Elder arrives on Drizzt's world, only to have high-tech weapons to be shorted out. He still has his thermal visor, blades, and cloaking, but his long range and technologically weaponry is out of the question. Drizzt is armed with all of his gear, but the enchantments have been lifted from his blades for this battle He has arrived at the woods that Drizzt calls home and sets out to hunt the ultimate prey.

Victory or Death

#2 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

(That actually happens to advance technology that somehow manages to arrive in Fearun. Let's take a cellphone for instance arrived with a traveler from Earth, It would short circuit and become useless. lol)
So all of his magical gear has been rendered useless? Not just his scimitars, but his mithral chain armor, his spider silk shirt, his bracers of blinding strike, his bow and quiver?
What about Guen?

#3 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: No magical panther thing, and his scimitars have had their enchantment removed. Everything else is as it would be, but I might change that.
#4 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

What about his bow Heartseeker and the quiver? Both of them are magical. Like I told Luna in the build a battle thread. Arrows fired from that combination is like shooting lightning bolts. Drizzt is expertly skilled with the bow as well. The power from the bow can pierce through several Orcs wearing breastplates.
Drizzt has even fired an arrow from it to go through one Orc, bank off the wall of a cave, break a weapon(spearhead) and then slam through another Orcs head. All in one shot. lol

#5 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" What about his bow Heartseeker and the quiver? Both of them are magical. Like I told Luna in the build a battle thread. Arrows fired from that combination is like shooting lightning bolts. Drizzt is expertly skilled with the bow as well. The power from the bow can pierce through several Orcs wearing breastplates.Drizzt has even fired an arrow from it to go through one Orc, bank off the wall of a cave, break a weapon(spearhead) and then slam through another Orcs head. All in one shot. lol "
All enchantments have been removed from his weapons.

You and Luna are the only ones who will give this thread a second glance xD
#6 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Drizzt will win in my mind even without the aid of his magical weapons.
His mithral armor will help deflect, absorb most of the Predators attacks.
If the enchantment on his spider silk shirt is still up, then he has even greater durability(invulnerability) to slashing type attacks. Even his own scimitars were not able to cut it.
Same if he has his bracers of blinding strike it makes his attacks and reflexes that much faster than he already is.
Not to mention that this is Drizzt's home turf, his back yard which he knows better than anyone.
Add in his magical powers of Faerie Fire and Darkness he has tools to hide from the Predator, and keep his cloaking worthless.

Drizzt has faced off against opponents stronger than him before so that is nothing knew. He has also faced off against talented fights with centuries of experience.

#7 Edited by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:

" Drizzt will win in my mind even without the aid of his magical weapons. His mithral armor will help deflect, absorb most of the Predators attacks. If the enchantment on his spider silk shirt is still up, then he has even greater durability(invulnerability) to slashing type attacks. Even his own scimitars were not able to cut it. Same if he has his bracers of blinding strike it makes his attacks and reflexes that much faster than he already is. Not to mention that this is Drizzt's home turf, his back yard which he knows better than anyone. Add in his magical powers of Faerie Fire and Darkness he has tools to hide from the Predator, and keep his cloaking worthless.  Drizzt has faced off against opponents stronger than him before so that is nothing knew. He has also faced off against talented fights with centuries of experience. "

The Earth Elemental in book one alone makes me think he takes this. And easily.  

Drizzt is no joke and the enchantments don't mean that much. With or without his natural magics as well I think his skills are just too much for a Predator, even an elder to take him in a straight man on man fight. He's even killed things with what I would think as better armor than Predator.
#8 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine: Have you read the actual books/novels? The comics don't even do him justice.
#9 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep I'm in the middle of the second novel. The first alone make me think he wins this. And grandly too.

#10 Edited by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine: You're in for a long road if you want to read all the novels. Twenty years worth of books xP 
The stuff from the first books is nothing compared to what's in store down the line.
Sadly the comic adaptions are no longer being made. =( I was hoping they would do all 20 books that are you so far, but they only managed to get to book seven. (one or two issues of eight) With one short story.

(There are about half a dozen to a dozen short stories pertaining to him (and his friends) as well, but they can be hard to find at times so I didn't list them)

Homeland

Exile

Sojurn

The Crystal Shard

Streams of Silver

The Halflings Gem

The Legacy

Starless Night

Siege of Darkness

Passage to Dawn

The Silent Blade

The Spine of the World

Sea of Swords

Paths of Darkness

The Thousand Orcs

The Lone Drow

The Two Swords

The Orc King

The Pirate King

The Ghost King

#11 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio

My local library has a good amount of them. I'm already ready to read Sojurn after I finish Exile. The only bad thing is that I know what's going to happen; well sort of.   After all I want to not know that Drizzt lives, but then he has to if there is going to be like 18 more books. XD  So it means no matter how awesome spirit-wrath Zak is, there is no way he's going to win. It also means Malice fails and Drizzt is immortal and unstoppable. 

Not really, but you get my point. 

lol

#12 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine: Yeah I know what ya mean.
The books are great though. Salvatore can write a very good fight scene in my opinion.
Also if you are interested there are other sets of books written by him that involve characters you will meet through Drizzt's life.

(These three deal with two characters you meet in the books)

Servant of the Shard

Promise of the Witch King

Road of the Patriarch

and

(This set is about a Priest/Cleric named Cadderly and his journey. Another great read)

Canticle

In Sylvan Shadows

Night Masks

The Fallen Fortress

The Chaos Curse

#13 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" @Lupine: Yeah I know what ya mean.
The books are great though. Salvatore can write a very good fight scene in my opinion.
Also if you are interested there are other sets of books written by him that involve characters you will meet through Drizzt's life.

(These three deal with two characters you meet in the books)

Servant of the Shard

Promise of the Witch King

Road of the Patriarch

and

(This set is about a Priest/Cleric named Cadderly and his journey. Another great read)

Canticle

In Sylvan Shadows

Night Masks

The Fallen Fortress

The Chaos Curse

"
I'll try to check them out. Thank you. And yes, the action and the characters are always superb.
#14 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine: Drizzt by far is my favorite character. I've read and flipped through the comics countless times and read each novel he has appeared in at least three times. lol
I even have an account here on the Vine named Drizzt xD
#15 Posted by yodagod (2192 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne:
@Lupine:  
Drizzt is tied for favorite D&D character for me with Raistlin Majere.  I would also recommend all of the Drizzt books as well as nearly any RA Salvatore faerun stuff.  Cleric's Quintet I found espescially enjoyable, though I didn't care for Cadderly until about the middle of the third one.  As for the battle, I have to go with Drizzt as well.  Even if the predator had his tech (invisibility, blaster, etc...) I don't think it would matter much.  Drizzt fights invisible, ridiculously strong, and agile characters all the time.  I'd say that if he can handle a balor twice (granted the second time was a team effort) he can handle an elder predator.  He's got to be nearly 20th level by now, and in D&D that's basically the edge where you're nearly a god.  He fought and killed hundreds of orcs, demons, trolls, multiple frost giants, and of course Obould Many-Arrows (who was basically a predator in impenatrable armor only much much stronger).  Drizzt should win 10/10.
#16 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod: Agreed on all accounts.
I thought the same about Cadderly too early on. I loved the Doodad brothers though(Ivan and Pikel). They are by far my favorites from that series.
#17 Posted by yodagod (2192 posts) - - Show Bio

Ivan and Pikel are great.  I actually liked nearly every character except Cadderly until he got his backbone.  Salvatore does such a great job of creating likable relatable characters.  Even his support characters are great.  Captain Deudermont is really cool, as are most of the Battlehammer dwarves.  Even when it would be easy to have a silly character that you might not like or care about otherwise (Pikel Bouldershoulders, Thibbledorf Pwent, or Harkel Harple) he writes them to where you not only like them, but they become key characters that you miss when they aren't there.  Probably my all time favorite sci-fi series.
#18 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the names that he creates for his Dwarves. You liked some, but there was also General Dagnabbit. lol Then his son Dagna. Also Athrogate who rhymes all the time. 
Really liked Danica too. In the Sellword trilogy we get to meet some more adventurers that Salvatore created. King Dragonbane and his old companions.

#19 Posted by DaddyCool (697 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Drizzt takes this in a curbstomp his swordsmanship is too much for predator to even try and deal with.

#20 Posted by WindCloud (2678 posts) - - Show Bio

Drizzt will beat down a whole group of Predators in one fight.  Without their techs, the Predators' melee weapons and their slow-ass bumbling fighting styles will be ABSOLUTELY no match for Drizzt's Chinese-like acrobatics and martial arts with Twinkle and Icingdeath (even if they don't have their magical enchantments).

#21 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it's a pretty one sided decision. xP

#22 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio

I was expecting someone who read the Predator comics to comment in this >_> Still, I'm surprised it's still around xD

Apparently the Preds have much better feats in the comics.

#23 Edited by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio

My wife got me into reading R.A. Salvatore's novels about the drow ranger. I've read them all now and am going back through all the graphic novels. Even if you lift all the magical enchantments (not sure how that was done) AND take Gwen (his figurine of wondrous power) away, he will still win this. You have to understand what being a ranger in Forgotten Realms means. Yes, they depowered Drizzt in the new version of D & D (4th edition.... ugh!), but you seem to be referring to the Drizzt from the novels. Anyway, Drizzt is an expert tracker not to mention he moves without a sound. I don't even think Superman could hear him coming... but alas, that's for another battle thread. ;) Also, Drizzt is under the protection of his goddess Milleki (spelling) and Lady Alustriel Silverhand who is one of the chosen of Mistra. You said all of his magical enchantments were lifted, but you never said anything about the magical enchantments of others placed on him. (Sorry if I'm being stubborn. I'm just pointing that out in case any trolls come by this thread!) The mithral armor he wears (which is not magical, but simply made with a special metal) will absorb most all attacks... not that his hightened agility will allow for him to be hit anyway. Oh, and don't forget about his ability to see in the dark and hightened hearing as well. I like Drizzt, but my favorite from the books is still Jarlaxle! (if you're reading the books, don't try looking that name up... you might see a spoiler!)

#24 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually Drizzt has not been stated out in 4th edition so there is no way to say he is more or less powerful than previous editions. In fact only one of the game write ups were even done and approved by Salvatore. That was back in Advanced D&D 2nd edition. All the ones that followed that never had any of Mr Salvatores input.

#25 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ferro Vida said:
"

I was expecting someone who read the Predator comics to comment in this >_> Still, I'm surprised it's still around xD

Apparently the Preds have much better feats in the comics.

"
What can you do Ferro it's pretty much become a Drizzt respect thread. XD 

Of course I'd be lying if I said I'd read the Drizzt comics; but some of the things he does in novel are amazing; insanely so. Even if I've read a few Pred comics. Which are awesome by the way, I thought I would be bored actually, still my point if ever I had one was that I think Drizzt wins this one. But this of course is pure opinion and not an argument in any form whatsoever. 
#26 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this was a horrible idea on my part. But now I know. 

"And knowing is half the battle!"

#27 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ferro Vida said:
" Well, this was a horrible idea on my part. But now I know.  "And knowing is half the battle!" "
I approve this message. XD  

Not the horrible idea, because it wasn't. But knowing is half the battle.
#28 Posted by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: Yeah, I have the 4th edition Forgotten Realms book and needless to say they stripped the Realms of a lot of magic. Our Drow ranger and his companions fell under all this as well. But I agree with you in saying if it was never approved by the creator himself then it doesn't exist in the mainstream.
#29 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gothic Storm: Well the Realms in general got flocked up with 4th. Not to mention with this new edition they advanced the time line a 100 years. So even that itself means most of his friends and companions as we know are gone. I won't say too much as I know what happens to a bunch of them because of the latest novel Ghost King.
#30 Posted by WindCloud (2678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" @Gothic Storm: Well the Realms in general got flocked up with 4th. Not to mention with this new edition they advanced the time line a 100 years. So even that itself means most of his friends and companions as we know are gone. I won't say too much as I know what happens to a bunch of them because of the latest novel Ghost King. "
i  don't think we've seen the last of those characters yet at the end of The Ghost King.  There's 6 more Drizzt novels coming out in the next few years, so RA Salvatore might still include them in there.
#31 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@WindCloud said:
"i  don't think we've seen the last of those characters yet at the end of The Ghost King.  There's 6 more Drizzt novels coming out in the next few years, so RA Salvatore might still include them in there. "
For some of them yes it is. But again I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say more. As for more Drizzt novels coming out. The last I had heard he was going to do a trilogy revolving Drizzt's father and Jarlaxle.
#32 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm interesting , i dont know what to say about this since i know nothing about Drizzt .

#33 Edited by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: I'm a huge fan of Jarlaxle. Zak was such an inspiration to Drizzt, it will be great to read about him a little more.
@WindCloud: I hope so. They are great characters. That's awesome to hear about the 6 novels too! Will they be written by Salvatore or maybe his son?
#34 Posted by WindCloud (2678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne:   Yeah.  Could be.  But  i  think that's just rumors about what he's gonna write.  i  could be wrong on that tho'.  From what  i  understand, he himself hasn't come out and say directly yet what he's gonna write regarding the world of Drizzt.
@Gothic Storm:  Not sure whether any of the new novels will be penned by him, or his son, or both.   i  just know that he's just inked the new 6-book contract with WOTC a few weeks ago.  So,  i  was ecstatic.  Been reading everyone of his Drizzt's stories since he debuted Drizzt in "The Crystal Shard" in 1988, when  i  was a sophomore in HS.
#35 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@WindCloud: My understanding there were no plans for Drizzt and company after the Ghost King. (Transitions trilogy)
He was going to be taking a break from them much like he did when he wrote the Sellswords trilogy for Artemis and Jarlaxle.

@Gothic Storm: Actually Mr Salvatore has helped his son write two novels of his own now. Both of them feature Drizzt as well.
#36 Posted by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:

@Gothic Storm: Actually Mr Salvatore has helped his son write two novels of his own now. Both of them feature Drizzt as well. "
Yeah, that's why I asked about who is going to write the next 6 novels.
#37 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt his son will be taking over Drizzt, much less the rest of the companions.

#38 Posted by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio
@WindCloud: That's cool. I first read the books in 1994 after the Icewind Dale Trilogy came out. I actually read them in the order he wrote them. I wanted to experience it all the same way others had up til then. I of course went back and read the Dark Elf trilogy after and then moved on from there with the rest of the books. His fight scenes are so detailed... Maybe someday a production company will pick up the stories and animate them... or bring them to live-action.
#39 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

There has been a lot of talk about a movie for years. But nothing much ever done. Problem is that Salvatore does not solely own the rights to the characters. Because of them being in the Forgotten Realms world. There is a fan made movie teaser. I posted it here on the Vine in his forum page.

You know that when the Icewind Dale trilogy first came out. Drizzt was not intended to be the 'star' of the books. At that time Wulfgar was to be the poster child.

#40 Posted by yodagod (2192 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know who would be the perfect Drizzt if they were to do a movie.

Luke Goss...shown here as Prince Nuada from Hellboy 2.   
Black paint instead of white, keep the hair the same.  He is certainly a good enough actor and stuntman.  It might be novel for him to play a good guy for a change.
#41 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod: I'd be fine with him being Drizzt.
#42 Posted by WindCloud (2678 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
"
We all know who would be the perfect Drizzt if they were to do a movie.
Luke Goss...shown here as Prince Nuada from Hellboy 2.   Black paint instead of white, keep the hair the same.  He is certainly a good enough actor and stuntman.  It might be novel for him to play a good guy for a change. "
Did you know that they had to bring in Jacky Chan and his crew to train Luke Goss for 9 weeks just to prepare him for Prince Nauda's role ?

So, if they really had to do a movie of Drizzt Do'Urden,  i  would say to go with Donnie Yen (perfect for the role since his English would be just right at the level of Drizzt's common tongue proficiency at the end of the Ghost King,  i  would think.  Also  Donnie Yen can step right in and play Drizzt's martial arts, bypassing any training needed, since he's a master and an actor himself).
#43 Posted by yodagod (2192 posts) - - Show Bio
@WindCloud:
Nice.  Also a Blade 2 guy.  He's good, but I think Luke is a better actor.  I'd rather have a great actor who needs a little more training than a decent actor who can pull off the stunts easier.  Actually, for a martial arts movie I'd like a really good dancer/actor, though this isn't a martial arts movie.  Dancers have an easier time with fight choreography in general than martial artists.  With Drizzt, he's going to have to carry the movie, so I'd want that acting ability. Plus, Luke's stunt skills will only get better now, espescially with the added experience of the Tekken movie, and he does have a martial arts background. Plus he already showed the most important ability in playing Drizzt (beyond acting of course), which is two weapon fighting with long blades.  It's an extremely difficult skill to master, even for great martial artists, even for ambidextrous people.  And of course with a good enough director and stunt coordinator he'll look great in the fight scenes.
#44 Edited by WindCloud (2678 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:

" @WindCloud: Nice.  Also a Blade 2 guy.  He's good, but I think Luke is a better actor.  I'd rather have a great actor who needs a little more training than a decent actor who can pull off the stunts easier.  Actually, for a martial arts movie I'd like a really good dancer/actor, though this isn't a martial arts movie.  Dancers have an easier time with fight choreography in general than martial artists.  With Drizzt, he's going to have to carry the movie, so I'd want that acting ability. Plus, Luke's stunt skills will only get better now, espescially with the added experience of the Tekken movie, and he does have a martial arts background. Plus he already showed the most important ability in playing Drizzt (beyond acting of course), which is two weapon fighting with long blades.  It's an extremely difficult skill to master, even for great martial artists, even for ambidextrous people.  And of course with a good enough director and stunt coordinator he'll look great in the fight scenes. "

You kinda lost me there.  You said "Plus he already showed the most important ability in playing Drizzt (beyond acting of course), which is two weapon fighting with long blades.  It's an extremely difficult skill to master, even for great martial artists, even for ambidextrous people."  So you're implying that Luke Goss is a better 2-weapon fighter than a true martial arts ambidextrous fighter ?  Okay...

And what makes you think that Donnie Yen can't dance ?  Matter of fact, Donnie Yen, being shorter and smaller than Luke Goss will fit a drow elf perfectly since his kung-fu moves would be more fluid and more natural than Luke Goss.  Luke Goss would be too tall, so his best role would be that of a High Elf (like Prince Nuada was).
#45 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

hehe
This turned into a Drizzt casting call. xP

#46 Posted by Ferro Vida (34247 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just awesome like that xD

#47 Posted by Drizzt (584 posts) - - Show Bio

I should really update this account with various Drizzt feats from the comics..

#48 Edited by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio

This battle is horribly outmatched against Drizzt. Pred has superior strength, agility, reflexes etc etc and his armor can deflect machine gun bullets. Drizzt dies a horrible death ie. Drizzt's skull is placed as an ornament on the Predator.

#49 Posted by Drizzt (584 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs: I take it you did not even read the rest of the posts in this thread.
#50 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:
" This battle is horribly outmatched against Drizzt. Pred has superior strength, agility, reflexes etc etc and his armor can deflect machine gun bullets. Drizzt dies a horrible death ie. Drizzt's skull is placed as an ornament on the Predator. "
Predator might have superior strength but that has never stopped Drizzt before. He has faced off against Dragons, Frost Giants, Hill Giants, and even a 'God' powered Orc who easily manhandled the Frost Giantess Gerti. Not to mention Wulfgar who would easily be peak human in strength if not more, and Athrogate who has increased strength due to a magical belt. So strength is not something he has to worry about. His speed and training far make up for that.