• 162 results
#151 Posted by Alurvelve (3634 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the biggest misconception about Conan is that people believe him to JUST be a Barbarian. Forgetting that he is a trained and seasoned warrior, along with a deceptive rogue. He is not just a brute.

#152 Posted by robertloucksjr (1490 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay said:

@alurvelve: Wulfgar and Conan are actual relative equals, and a lot of their feats can be matched against one another. I've had this debate before in the past.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Wulfgar is very formidable, but I put him below Conan in speed and especially skill. That hammer ir probably the best weapon among the companions though.

#153 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (5913 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the biggest misconception about Conan is that people believe him to JUST be a Barbarian. Forgetting that he is a trained and seasoned warrior, along with a deceptive rogue. He is not just a brute.

If you like Fantasy literature at all, seriously, try to pick up the Savage Sword of Conan magazines from the 80's and early 90's (must have paperback reprints somewhere to be found for relatively cheap). They were fantastic and will drastically change the way you look at Conan and how formidable he really is. Again, this is coming from a D&D aficionado who grew up reading Salvatore's novels (favorite was actually Wulfgar in the original trilogy).

Ironically enough, Conan's most impressive attribute, more so than strength and even skill, was his combat speed. Another tidbit most are unaware of.

#154 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@alurvelve said:

If you like Fantasy literature at all, seriously, try to pick up the Savage Sword of Conan magazines from the 80's and early 90's (must have paperback reprints somewhere to be found for relatively cheap). They were fantastic and will drastically change the way you look at Conan and how formidable he really is. Again, this is coming from a D&D aficionado who grew up reading Salvatore's novels (favorite was actually Wulfgar in the original trilogy).

Ironically enough, Conan's most impressive attribute, more so than strength and even skill, was his combat speed. Another tidbit most are unaware of.

THis is true

best examples I can think of are his fights with the assassins in Phoenix on the Sword, the fight with the Spider in Tower of the Elephant, and the fight with the pirates in Queen of the Black Coast

any more impressive stuff I should think of?

#155 Edited by Super_SoldierXII (5913 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii said:

@alurvelve said:

THis is true

best examples I can think of are his fights with the assassins in Phoenix on the Sword, the fight with the Spider in Tower of the Elephant, and the fight with the pirates in Queen of the Black Coast

any more impressive stuff I should think of?

In all honesty, I'm working off distant memory as my collection was tossed years ago when I left for University (damn those meddlesome mothers!!!). So I can't recall story arcs off the top of my head without Googling it (and I can't be bothered at this hour).

I do remember hours of giddy pleasure whenever my monthly mag hit the shelf. Was my favorite read for years as a kid. One thing's for damn sure, Conan's far more the bad@ss than many folks on the Vine realize and would, in my humble opinion, defeat even the likes of Drizzt were he as well equipped. Magical gear notwithstanding, I'm still terribly tempted to see him winning this one.

#156 Posted by Alurvelve (3634 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii: I know that most people do not like wiki's here on this site, but here http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Conan is a great source to learn a lot about him, and his setting.

#157 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (4465 posts) - - Show Bio
#158 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (5913 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii: I know that most people do not like wiki's here on this site, but here http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Conan is a great source to learn a lot about him, and his setting.

Yeah ... but it speaks rather meekly about his accomplishments and is extremely incomplete to be honest. Trying to extrapolate Robert E. Howard's novels and doing so in a rather non-grandiose fashion if you ask me. It also limits Conan's adventures to said novels. He's expanded bounds since.

The Savage Sword of Conan is the most complete, and brutal, source IMHO. The series, while loosely based on the novels, are distinctly more heroic and, well, bloody for lack of a better word. Aside from swordsmen, soldiers and warriors of every variety, the SSoC has the Cimmerian going up against monsters, giants, sorcerers, demons and their ilk quite often.

#159 Posted by Bruxae (9391 posts) - - Show Bio

Ill go with Drizzt.

#160 Posted by Floopay (7700 posts) - - Show Bio

Wulfgar overpowered a champion strongman with ease, and that wasn't when he crushed his father's head. It was the instance when they were traveling to Mithril Hall, with the tribe of the Pegasus or whatever they were.

Wulfgar is not slow, weak, or unskilled. By the end of his run he could stand up to Drizzt, though I don't know if he'd win. Wulfgar's speed and strength are both beyond peak human. As well as his durability. Wulfgar was able to contest in strength with a being that smashed apart castle walls without strain or effort. And with his strength snapped the thing's neck and tore it clean from it's body. All the while using his superhuman durability, strength, and stamina to stop it from snapping his neck and/or choking him to death.

With one casual blow he put a man's head through a wall while fighting off a dozen or more others. All of which were at least semi-skilled fighters.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#161 Posted by Floopay (7700 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay said:

@alurvelve: Wulfgar and Conan are actual relative equals, and a lot of their feats can be matched against one another. I've had this debate before in the past.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Wulfgar is very formidable, but I put him below Conan in speed and especially skill. That hammer ir probably the best weapon among the companions though.

I think Icingdeath is better than the hammer. Maybe not necessarily in damage, but most definitely in versatility. Between the icy attacks, rendering it's user immune to heat/cold alike, both magical and non-magical, and the fact that it becomes more powerful in cold weather, yet doesn't lose power in extreme heat, makes it the better weapon overall.

Wulfgar was actually able to stand up to Drizzt in combat speed to a degree (before he had his bracers on), so if speed is lower, it shouldn't be by much. As for skill, Wulfgar was able to stand up to Drizzt, and a host of other extremely formidable fighters as their relative equal.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#162 Posted by Alurvelve (3634 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay said:

I think Icingdeath is better than the hammer. Maybe not necessarily in damage, but most definitely in versatility. Between the icy attacks, rendering it's user immune to heat/cold alike, both magical and non-magical, and the fact that it becomes more powerful in cold weather, yet doesn't lose power in extreme heat, makes it the better weapon overall.

While I do agree that Iceingdeath is a superior weapon than the hammer. The books often reference Twinkle being superior to Iceingdeath. Something I still find iffy.