• 162 results
#1 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

The Contenders.

The Situation.

-Random encounter.

-Drizzt is fully equipped (follow the link to see what he carries). Conan is equipped with everything he's pictured with.

-Drizzt doesn't have Guenhwyvar available.

-Both are willing to kill, as usual.

-Drizzt receives word that a mysterious barbarian is roaming around Icewind Dale from the townsfolk of Byrn Shandor, and sets out to investigate. Upon finding him, Conan acknowledges his presence, but believes Drizzt to be demonic (because of his Drow heritage) and feels compelled to defeat him. Drizzt, however, must defend himself.

-Both start out 30 feet away from each other, and will fight here.

Just outside Bryn Shandor

-The Dark Horse version of Conan is in use (no Marvel canon allowed). Either the novel version or the comic version of Drizzt is acceptable (since the comic is based on the novels, with the same story and characters).

Thrill me...

#2 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

No one...? :)

#3 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio

I was ready to...until i saw the "No Marvel Canon Allowed".  I've only read a little of Dark Horse Conan so I couldn't say if he's got anything that puts him on the level of the Godless Killing Machine he was in Savage Sword.

#4 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

I was ready to...until i saw the "No Marvel Canon Allowed". I've only read a little of Dark Horse Conan so I couldn't say if he's got anything that puts him on the level of the Godless Killing Machine he was in Savage Sword.

What makes him different from Dark Horse Conan?

#5 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

Drizzt easily. Especially if he is fully equipped.

#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Andy Steven Summers said:

Easily? How so?

#7 Posted by Phylos (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

What level of resistance does Conan have against magic? I only ask because aside from Drizzt's weapon mastery & skill, he is versed in some arcane arts.

#8 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

I was ready to...until i saw the "No Marvel Canon Allowed". I've only read a little of Dark Horse Conan so I couldn't say if he's got anything that puts him on the level of the Godless Killing Machine he was in Savage Sword.

Maybe nothing....I just don't know enough about Dark Horse Conan to say if he's the same. 
#9 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phylos said:

What level of resistance does Conan have against magic? I only ask because aside from Drizzt's weapon mastery & skill, he is versed in some arcane arts.

I don't know much about Conan, but he seems to have a cult following here. I hear he's been able to deal with magicians and the like.

Edit: So far, I've only seen Drizzt use two spells, Globes of Darkness and Faerie Fire, both of which he doesn't use very often in battle. It seems as if he favors swordsmanship over magic.

#10 Posted by charlieboy (7167 posts) - - Show Bio

conan has beat several magicians in his time. but i know nothing about his opponent in this battle so i won't cast an opinion.

#11 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@charlieboy said:

conan has beat several magicians in his time.

In Dark Horse canon, right?

#12 Posted by charlieboy (7167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock: well to be completely honest i haven't read the dark horse stuff. only dark horse i read is buffy and angel. just the old marvel stuff and the savage sword of conan black and white magazines back when i was a kid. badass stuff as i recall. sorry i should have kept mum since i have not read the dark horse comics.

#13 Posted by charlieboy (7167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock: sorry static. had a few drinks at karaoke tonight.

#14 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@charlieboy: LOL. It's okay.

#15 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

Maybe nothing....I just don't know enough about Dark Horse Conan to say if he's the same.

I am about 17 issues into his core DH volume, so not really that far along but he has no impressive feats in comparison to some of the crazy things I have heard about Drizzt.

#16 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised this hadn't been done before. Nice battle!

Dark Horse Conan ... hm.

I'll go with my boy Conan.

Reasoning? Anyone wielding a sword named <Twinkle> does not beat Conan. Period.

#17 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_SoldierXII: LOL.

@Erik: From what I hear, he has a bunch of titles under Dark Horse. Only reason why I omitted his Marvel run was because of his numerous appearances under that label.

#18 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with the elf here. But then again, I've only read Howard books on Conan and not his comics stuff.

#19 Posted by Kamikage (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Drizzt would win. Maybe I don't know a lot about Conan, but Im willing to put my money on Drizzt based on the stuff I've read. That guy is unstoppable.

#20 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

I am about 17 issues into his core DH volume, so not really that far along but he has no impressive feats in comparison to some of the crazy things I have heard about Drizzt.

Don't believe everything you hear about Drizzt at extreme face value till you've read the books IMO. Context is everything. I've read most of the Salvatore books. Drizzt has accomplished nothing Conan has not done in spades (especially in early Conan mags).

#21 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

...Now we're getting somewhere...

#22 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio
@Super_SoldierXII said:

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

Don't believe everything you hear about Drizzt at extreme face value till you've read the books IMO. Context is everything. I've read most of the Salvatore books. Drizzt has accomplished nothing Conan has not done in spades (especially in early Conan mags).

That's probably true...but I'm just not familiar at all with the Dark Horse run. Savage Sword Conan would probably dominate the elf...but only Dark Horse is relevant here.
#23 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

That's probably true...but I'm just not familiar at all with the Dark Horse run. Savage Sword Conan would probably dominate the elf...but only Dark Horse is relevant here.

Well, if it's just Dark Horse, I guess Drizzt.

Savage Sword was an awesome read. I really regret not having held onto my substantial collection ... worth thousands today. I was a kid and they were just magazines after all ... sigh.

#24 Posted by BringnIt (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read any Conan, but does he have the necessary speed and skill to keep up with Drizzt?

#25 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9190 posts) - - Show Bio

Was actually thinking of making this fight, although seems you beat me to it.  
Probably go with the dark elf with this fight, due to his speed, and magical abilities.  
Is he allowed Guenhwyvar to assist him? Or is it just him, and the barbarian? 

#26 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaDynasty said:
Was actually thinking of making this fight, although seems you beat me to it.  Probably go with the dark elf with this fight, due to his speed, and magical abilities.  Is he allowed Guenhwyvar to assist him? Or is it just him, and the barbarian? 
Says in the OP no  Guenhwyvar 
#27 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@BringnIt said:

Haven't read any Conan, but does he have the necessary speed and skill to keep up with Drizzt?

Yes he does. Arguably the most skilled swordsman in Hyboria pending on which epoch version we're using. Extremely fast and far, far stronger than Drizzt.

And if we're looking at the Conan who won himself a kingdom, then this is one hell of a fight I don't think Drizzt will easily or readily walk away from.

#28 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@Erik: From what I hear, he has a bunch of titles under Dark Horse. Only reason why I omitted his Marvel run was because of his numerous appearances under that label.

He does have a bunch of titles at DH. Kind of annoying that they take one story and spray it across multiple titles for no reason.

@Super_SoldierXII said:

You mean people lie on the internet!? I am shocked and chagrinned. But really, that is a little disappointing. I suppose that means all those Drizzt battles I conceded to should get a bump since it seems I was taken for a ride.

#29 Posted by BringnIt (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Drizzt have Heartseeker here? How would Conan fare fighting in the globes of darkness?

#30 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@BringnIt said:

Does Drizzt have Heartseeker here? How would Conan fare fighting in the globes of darkness?

What is the Heartseeker?

#31 Edited by Kinasin_ (1212 posts) - - Show Bio

Drizzt is far too fast for Conan. He's literally said to move so fast he looks like a blur. Enchanted swords, and bracelets, as well as globes of darkness make this overkill imho.

#32 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kinasin_ said:

Drizzt is far too fast for Conan. He's literally said to move so fast he looks like a blur. Enchanted swords, and bracelets, as well as globes of darkness make this overkill imho.

No. Drizzt has a hard enough time with Artemis Entreri who is a regular human, highly skilled, but not thusly enchanted. The books are not D&D. His written feats are not more impressive than many things Conan has accomplished IMO.

#33 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@BringnIt said:

He's been trained to fight blindfolded. And the globes have limited duration.

#34 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I know there's no difference between the Marvel Conan and Dark Horse Conan, I mean his entire life is already planned out from beginning, the comics just fill in the gaps and a lot of times even re-tell the same stories. He's a licensed property and Savage Sword of Conan is just later in his life then some of the other comics.

#35 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek posting in a battle thread? My oh my.
BB

#36 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@BringnIt said:

What is the Heartseeker?

It's a magic bow.

#37 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

Easily? How so?

He outclasses him in everything, except strength. Being physically 'weaker' than someone has never given him trouble before. Wulfgar for example was vastly stronger than Drizzt and got completely overwhelmed by him. Granted Wulfgar is not as skilled as Conan will be.

One showing of Wulfgar's strength. In the books he was also shown to hold open a magical portal, keeping it from collapsing. If needed I can track down the text for that feat to show how unbelievably hard it was said to be.

Drizzt has also faced off against numerous other foes who were all stronger than him. King Obould the Orc King for one example, who was empowered by his Orc God. The only reason Drizzt had trouble against him was because of his impenetrable armor. He has also faced off against numerous Giants (Hill giants, Frost giants, Ogre's) all of who have vast strength compared to humans.

--------------------------------

The real scale tipper is equipment. Iceingdeath and Twinkle along with his Mirthal chain armor, and spidersilk shirt and the bracers of blinding strike is overkill. Heartseeker (Bow that basically shoots lightning bolts) just tips it even more in his favor. Yes the bow is considered standard equipment for him in the books now.

Sad thing is we're not even finished listing his advantages over Conan. The globes of magical darkness can give him the element of surprise, and with someone as skilled as Drizzt that one single moment is all he will need to take the offensive/advantage. And with his vastly superior weapons that will prove costly for Canon.

#38 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

I suppose that means all those Drizzt battles I conceded to should get a bump since it seems I was taken for a ride.

The only thing that has been really overhyped here on the Vine for Drizzt in the battles is his speed.

#39 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@Static Shock said:

He does have a bunch of titles at DH. Kind of annoying that they take one story and spray it across multiple titles for no reason.

@Super_SoldierXII said:

You mean people lie on the internet!? I am shocked and chagrinned. But really, that is a little disappointing. I suppose that means all those Drizzt battles I conceded to should get a bump since it seems I was taken for a ride.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people 'lie' as much as exaggerate to promote their preferred 'hero'. Drizzt is without doubt among the premier swordsmen in the Forgotten Realms. I just feel his talents and foes he's vanquished require hands on reading to find just proportion.

Example: "Drizzt beat a dragon so he's definitely way better!" - yes, he killed Icingdeath. With help from Wulfgar and plot; culminating with Wulfgar throwing a magical hammer to dislodge a stalactite which fell killing the dragon. Not really the same effect. That's what I mean when stating the import of having a personal grasp of context.

#40 Posted by BigCimmerian (8589 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@charlieboy said:

conan has beat several magicians in his time.

In Dark Horse canon, right?

He defeated dozens of them in DH comics

#41 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Drizz't wins because of his magic items: +4 mithral chainmail, Icingdeath (+3 frost scimitar), Twinkle (+2 defending scimitar).

#42 Edited by BigCimmerian (8589 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

During his first volume he was still a teenager, 16-18 years old, but he still has many impressive feats especially in the end o volume

#43 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@Kinasin_ said:

No. Drizzt has a hard enough time with Artemis Entreri who is a regular human, highly skilled, but not thusly enchanted. The books are not D&D. His written feats are not more impressive than many things Conan has accomplished IMO.

To be fair Entreri has a +5 defender dagger of vampiric regeneration though which helps a lot in combat. Not to mention Artemis is one of the best fighters in all the realms.

#44 Posted by cliffrice (1015 posts) - - Show Bio

Going purely off feats

Savage swords would beat Drizzt.

Dark Horse has Less feats compared to the drow so Drizzt.

#45 Posted by Rainy (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@Static Shock said:

@Shawnbaby said:

He did this

#46 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Andy Steven Summers: @Super_SoldierXII: Heartseeker is omitted from the battle. I don't want either character with ranged weapons.

He outclasses him in everything, except strength. Being physically 'weaker' than someone has never given him trouble before. Wulfgar for example was vastly stronger than Drizzt and got completely overwhelmed by him. Granted Wulfgar is not as skilled as Conan will be.

One showing of Wulfgar's strength. In the books he was also shown to hold open a magical portal, keeping it from collapsing. If needed I can track down the text for that feat to show how unbelievably hard it was said to be.

Drizzt has also faced off against numerous other foes who were all stronger than him. King Obould the Orc King for one example, who was empowered by his Orc God. The only reason Drizzt had trouble against him was because of his impenetrable armor. He has also faced off against numerous Giants (Hill giants, Frost giants, Ogre's) all of who have vast strength compared to humans.

--------------------------------

The real scale tipper is equipment. Iceingdeath and Twinkle along with his Mirthal chain armor, and spidersilk shirt and the bracers of blinding strike is overkill. Heartseeker (Bow that basically shoots lightning bolts) just tips it even more in his favor. Yes the bow is considered standard equipment for him in the books now.

Sad thing is we're not even finished listing his advantages over Conan. The globes of magical darkness can give him the element of surprise, and with someone as skilled as Drizzt that one single moment is all he will need to take the offensive/advantage. And with his vastly superior weapons that will prove costly for Canon.

Interesting argument. I hear that Conan has somewhat dealt with a lot of the same obstacles, though (as far as the different monsters being vastly superior to himself).

I wondered if Globes of Darkness would help as much. Then again, someone here stated that Conan is trained to fight blind. While Drizzt is armed with magical weapons, Entreri was able to stalemate him, regardless. I've only read one fight so far, though.

#47 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rainy said:

He did this

That's not Dark Horse Conan.

#48 Posted by Rainy (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@Rainy said:

He did this

That's not Dark Horse Conan.

I was replying to what marvel conan could do.

#49 Edited by Kinasin_ (1212 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@Kinasin_ said:

What are you talking about? Drizzt has gone toe to toe with King Obould Many-Arrows who was blessed by the Orc God Gruumsh, and give super stats all around as well as vast intelligence. On top of this he had a giant enchanted sword that shot out fire. He fought Obould to a damn near stalemate with Obould just barely getting a slight edge. Obould tosses around frost giants like child's play.

#50 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

While Drizzt is armed with magical weapons, Entreri was able to stalemate him, regardless. .

Artemis is also armed with magical weapons.