• 60 results
#1 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Light and Magnetism, go hand in hand. Who takes it?

#2 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, therefore its in Magneto's field of power manipulation. But the again, if Dr. Light can control light, so he can control electromagnetic fields as well. Arthur can manipulate energy in the visible and invisible ends of the spectrum, so Magneto may seem to him, like a red flag must seem to a bull and the same can be said for Light. I guess it comes down to who, has greater manipulation range, and both have done incredible feats, Light has become pure light or energy, changing his physical body is something I haven't seen Magneto do, but I have seen him do a lot other incredible feats. So if anyone has an opinion, let me know.

#3 Posted by kuchiku (4070 posts) - - Show Bio

Oceana says:

"I would think Magneto, but I'm not sure."

obviosly magneto

#4 Posted by Oceana (241 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think Magneto, but I'm not sure.

#5 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

kuchiku says:

"Oceana says:
"I would think Magneto, but I'm not sure."

obviosly magneto "

Why?

#6 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

scenario?

#7 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Because magneto can control heat light magnets lol sounds waves all of that stuff it only takes more concentration to do these other things so he can easily do anything doc light could do just by watching then easily beat up doctor lol so yeah magneto wins.

#8 Posted by King Saturn (224185 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto for the win

#9 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Because magneto can control heat light magnets lol sounds waves all of that stuff it only takes more concentration to do these other things so he can easily do anything doc light could do just by watching then easily beat up doctor lol so yeah magneto wins."

I don't think it would be that easy, for example look at all the posts in the Green Lantern/Magneto thread, saying he will have trouble with John. I know they are two different things, but Light manipulated the Lanter energy with ease. I guess Magneto would win, seeing he has shown more in comics and a wider variety of effects, but Dr. Light has shown abilities, that Magneto hasn't and that says a lot.

#10 Posted by Alex Prime (329 posts) - - Show Bio

magneto

#11 Posted by Premutos (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Who wins? IMO the one who can move at lightspeed and kill the other one as soon as the fight starts. Namely, (non-jobbing) Dr. Light.

#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"scenario?"
#13 Posted by Alex Prime (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantasma Ghost says:

"Nighthunter says:
"Nighthunter says:
"scenario?"
"
No scenario, just head to head, both full power."

then magneto,still

#14 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"Nighthunter says:
"scenario?"

"

No scenario, just head to head, both full power.

#15 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Prime says:

"Fantasma Ghost says:
"Nighthunter says:
"Nighthunter says:
"scenario?"
"
No scenario, just head to head, both full power."

then magneto,still"

But what reasons for the win?

#16 Posted by LegendaryKYJ (1334 posts) - - Show Bio
 Because Magneto can effect any and everything that is the electromagnetic spectrum, that includes light. That's how he severely wounded a fully powered Dazzler without so much as a flinch. Dr. Light could throw everything he could at Mag's, but it wouldn't hurt him.
#17 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know who to choose.

#18 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have an answer though.

#19 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#20 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

LegendaryKYJ says:

" Because Magneto can effect any and everything that is the electromagnetic spectrum, that includes light. That's how he severely wounded a fully powered Dazzler without so much as a flinch. Dr. Light could throw everything he could at Mag's, but it wouldn't hurt him."

I don't think Dazzler can be compared to Arthur. And Magneto rarely uses his powers outside of his normal magnetism feats, because it takes a toll on his body.

#21 Posted by LegendaryKYJ (1334 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantasma Ghost says:

"LegendaryKYJ says:
" Because Magneto can effect any and everything that is the electromagnetic spectrum, that includes light. That's how he severely wounded a fully powered Dazzler without so much as a flinch. Dr. Light could throw everything he could at Mag's, but it wouldn't hurt him."

I don't think Dazzler can be compared to Arthur. And Magneto rarely uses his powers outside of his normal magnetism feats, because it takes a toll on his body."

Asside from the control of light, Magneto's reflexes are superhuman and more then likely he'll get the first attack. Assuming the two aren't bloodlusted, what could Dr. Light do before his bloodflow is reversed? Can he generate a blast more powerful then Galactus?
#22 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

LegendaryKYJ says:

"Fantasma Ghost says:
"LegendaryKYJ says:

I don't think Dazzler can be compared to Arthur. And Magneto rarely uses his powers outside of his normal magnetism feats, because it takes a toll on his body."

Asside from the control of light, Magneto's reflexes are superhuman and more then likely he'll get the first attack. Assuming the two aren't bloodlusted, what could Dr. Light do before his bloodflow is reversed? Can he generate a blast more powerful then Galactus? "</blockquote>

Have you heard, speed of light? And what if Light is in energy form? No blood.

#23 Posted by LegendaryKYJ (1334 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantasma Ghost says:

"LegendaryKYJ says:
"Fantasma Ghost says:
"LegendaryKYJ says:

Asside from the control of light, Magneto's reflexes are superhuman and more then likely he'll get the first attack. Assuming the two aren't bloodlusted, what could Dr. Light do before his bloodflow is reversed? Can he generate a blast more powerful then Galactus? "</blockquote>

"

Magneto has control of just about every form of energy on the electromagnetic spectrum, dude. His shields can withstand multiple nuclear blasts and an attack from Galactus, i.e. If Mag's doesn't want to be touched he's not going to be.
#24 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

LegendaryKYJ says:

"Fantasma Ghost says:
"LegendaryKYJ says:
"Fantasma Ghost says:
"LegendaryKYJ says:

Asside from the control of light, Magneto's reflexes are superhuman and more then likely he'll get the first attack. Assuming the two aren't bloodlusted, what could Dr. Light do before his bloodflow is reversed? Can he generate a blast more powerful then Galactus? "</BLOCKQUOTE>

"

Magneto has control of just about every form of energy on the electromagnetic spectrum, dude. His shields can withstand multiple nuclear blasts and an attack from Galactus, i.e. If Mag's doesn't want to be touched he's not going to be."</BLOCKQUOTE>

You already said that and I answered. Don't you get it?, Light is another electromagnetic field manipulator and where did Magneto held off a blast from Galactus?
Post Edited:2008-01-04 12:33:09

#25 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto can beat light in close quarters and survived a point-blank headshot from cyclops's optic blast. Magneto FTW

#26 Posted by Yoshimitsu (185 posts) - - Show Bio
Magneto.
#27 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Light can manipulate light, but has been shown to manipulate anything other than light? You keep saying that because he can manipulate light, he can manipulate all EM energy, but has been shown capable of doing this?

This is the full range of feats Magneto has already demonstrated:

~ Manipulating metal: Well, all the time. The most spectacular demonstration of this came in New Mutants (Vol.1) #51 when Magneto took an abandoned cruise ship from miles offshore and created a smooth breakwater out of it in minutes. In Uncanny X-Men #91, he also lifted a cargo ship. He also can pull iron particles from the air to create objects, such as encasing Banshee in a metal shealth in Uncanny #104, or creating a comb for the Wasp  in Secret Wars I.

~ Assembling highly complex machinery within seconds (Uncanny X-men #150)

~ Manipulating magnetic energy (All the time)

Manipulating non-metallic objects, such wood, stone, weapons grade ceramics, or plastics. (Classic X-Men #12, Uncanny X-Men #112, New Mutants Vol. 1 #40, Uncanny X-Men #275, X-Men Vol. 2 #2, Excalibur Vol. 3 #14)

Manipulating organic objects like people: (Uncanny X-Men #1, Uncanny X-Men #112, Uncanny X-Men #200, Magneto: Dark Seduction #4)

~ Disrupting a person's nervous system (Uncanny X-Men #304, X-Men Vol. 2 #72)

Ripping people in half: (X-Men Vol. 2 #110)

Manipulating the iron in the blood (X-Force #25)

~ Manipulating matter on a subatomic scale. (X-Men Vol. 2 #87, Uncanny X-Men #212, Classic X-Men #19)

Manipulating electricity (Uncanny X-Men #104, Uncanny X-Men #150)

Generating electricity (Uncanny X-Men #43, Uncanny X-Men #91, Uncanny X-Men #112, Uncanny X-Men #150, New Mutants Vol. 1 #40)

Reprogramming software (Excalibur Vol.3 #4)

Generating an EMP (X-Men Vol. 2 #25, Excalibur Vol. 3 #4)

Generating undefined energy pulse "akin to the shockwave of a nuclear explosion" (Classic X-Men #12/Excalibur Vol. 3 #9,)

Strong magnetic shields (Against Galactus Secret Wars #5,against She-Hulk and Thor at once in X-Men vs. Avengers #2, New Mutants Vol. 1 #40)

~ Taken punches from enhanced strength beings like Colossus and the Submariner and kept fighting probably due to a close contact magnetic shield  (Uncanny X-Men #113, New Mutants #40)

Manipulating heat (Uncanny X-Men #104)

Manipulating light (Vision and Scarlet Witch miniseries Vol.1 #4, Excalibur Vol. 3 # 4)

Deflecting the gamma rays & x-rays in nuclear radiation (X-Men Vol. 2 #1, X-Men Vol. 2 #86)

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Excalibur Vol. 3 # 4)

Affecting objects thousands of miles away (Uncanny X-Men #150)

Creating a “magnetic vortex” to manipulate the atmosphere (Uncanny X-Men #201, X-Men Vol. 2 #86 )

Pulling a satellite from orbit (Magneto Rex #2)

Manipulating the entire planetary EM sphere (Uncanny X-Men #150, X-Men Vol. 2 #86)

Manipulating other planetary EM spheres (Avengers # 47, Secret Wars I)

Generating traversable wormholes (Excalibur Vol. 3 #7/8, Avengers Disassembled)

Altering the Earth’s crust (w/o mechanical aid) (X-Men Vol. 2 #1/ X-Men Vol. 2 #96, Magneto Dark Seduction #4)

~ Traveling in space (X-Men Vol. 2 #1, Avengers #47)

Sensing objects and attacks he cannot see. (X-Men Vol. 2 #2)

~ Reflecting Banshee's sonic scream back at him by creating harmonics in surrounding metal (Uncanny X-Men #112)

Manipulating Nightcrawler’s Teleports (Uncanny X-Men Annual #10)

~ Overcoming all the anti-Magneto gimmicks in Iron Man's Suit (Magneto: Dark Seduction #4)

Repelling Thor’s Hammer (Journey Into Mystery #109, X-Men Vs. Avengers # 2)

~ Manipulating Phoenix Force energy (Uncanny X-Men #112)

Partial discorporation (Uncanny X-Men #275, X-Men Vol. 2 #3, X-Men Vol. 2 #87)

Astral travel (Uncanny X-Men #6, Marvel Fanfare #33)

Telepathic sensitivity (New Mutants Vol. 1 #38)

Deflecting telepathic intrusion and attacks. (New Mutants Vol. 1 #35, X-Men Vol. 2 #25)

Enhanced Reaction Time / Plucking Northstar out of the air with his hand (X-Men Vol. 2 #113)

~ Manipulating Gravity (New Mutants #35)

~ Transforming clothes into body armor/magic metal costume trick (Uncanny X-Men #150, Uncanny X-Men #210, Uncanny X-Men #275, New Mutants Vol. 1 #52).

#28 Posted by King Saturn (224185 posts) - - Show Bio
I gotta feeling Magneto would win here....... and it has nothing to do with the substantial amount of evidence put forth in his favor

lol
#29 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose Magneto wins but Light had accomplished a hell of a lot of those feats in the 3 or 4 years since his got powered up...only to die in Final Crisis.  Because God forbid 20 characters don't die in each huge Crisis event.

#30 Posted by Green Patron (498 posts) - - Show Bio

Mags takes this one

#31 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

mag FTW a better fight would b the ray and Dr light now that would b interesting

#32 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

mag FTW a better fight would b the ray and Dr light now that would b interesting

#33 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
castleking said:
" mag FTW a better fight would b the ray and Dr light now that would b interesting"

Except it already happened.  Light beat Ray in one panel.

I like the Ray a lot but it wasn't much of a contest.
#34 Posted by StormAmazonPhoenix (937 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto

#35 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pania said:
" Dr. Light can manipulate light, but has been shown to manipulate anything other than light? You keep saying that because he can manipulate light, he can manipulate all EM energy, but has been shown capable of doing this? 
Yes. And yes.
#36 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pania said:
" Dr. Light can manipulate light, but has been shown to manipulate anything other than light? You keep saying that because he can manipulate light, he can manipulate all EM energy, but has been shown capable of doing this? 
Well, I know Superboy was once unable to use his heat vision in battle with him. It's red, so I guess it passes as infrared light. Wonder Girl was unable to use her lightning from her magic lasso, also, and lightning is electromagnetic phenomena. I think he also manipulated the Ray's powers, which are also based on the EM spectrum. And, I also manipulated energy from a GL ring, which has control over EM phenomena and the spectrum depending on the wearer. So, yeah.
#37 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously,why are all of these Magneto thread popping up?

#38 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" ..... "
You must like villains more than heroes.
#39 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
" Seriously,why are all of these Magneto thread popping up? "
Some idiot is bumping every Mag thread.

And Dr. Light controls all light even the light you can't see which covers the entire electromagnetic spectrum. He's able to control, change one into another, become it, absorb it, whatever. He can control the energy from stars, from magic, from anything that produces light and even things that don't.
#40 Posted by Johnny_Blazed (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#41 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
"@Zoom said:
" ..... "
You must like villains more than heroes."
I find comic book villains more interesting.  The heroes I do like are more dear to me.

Do you not believe Dr. Light should be able to beat the Ray?
#42 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2221 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
" @ARMIV said:
" Seriously,why are all of these Magneto thread popping up? "
Some idiot is bumping every Mag thread.

And Dr. Light controls all light even the light you can't see which covers the entire electromagnetic spectrum. He's able to control, change one into another, become it, absorb it, whatever. He can control the energy from stars, from magic, from anything that produces light and even things that don't.
"
I always saw it as Dr. Light taking the energy and converting it into the typical energy he uses, sort of like how Cyclops absorbs solar energy and create force blasts.
#43 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"I find comic book villains more interesting.  The heroes I do like are more dear to me. Do you not believe Dr. Light should be able to beat the Ray?"

Oh, OK. You seem to know more about villains than heroes. But, yes, of course he would beat the Ray.
#44 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio

Both can control the full EM Spectrum so this is a bit of a toughie. Could somebody give me a list of Dr Light's feats?

#45 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
"Oh, OK. You seem to know more about villains than heroes. But, yes, of course he would beat the Ray. "
Well I do go out of my way to read about good villains.  Almost every Superman comic I've read has been because he's fighting Mongul this month or Doctor Polaris or Black Adam

.@Akwa said:

"Could somebody give me a list of Dr Light's feats?"

He essentially controls light.  He can make force fields, lasers, heat blasts, illusions and manipulate anything that creates light.  In the 80s (because Silver Age DC mostly annoys me, I haven't read much of Light's exploits before he became a Titans villain), he was very very dependant on manipulating light and not much else.  For instance he would block a starbolt from Starfire with ease but fall to a kick to the face from Robin.  Originally, all these powers were tech based.

Post Identity Crisis, Dr. Light recieved a huge power boost that allowed him to not just slightly manipulate light but absolutely dominate it.  He could rip heat vision from Superboy's eyes, lighting from Wonder Girl's magic lasso, energy from a green lantern ring and so on.  He fought the Ray and the good Dr. Light and curbstomped them both.  Additionally, his force fields became much much stronger, he gained the ability to see through any illusions (he might of had that before), his blasts became more powerful, he learned to suck all the light out of an area, leaving it in total darkness and his powers were completely internalized meaning he didn't need tech.

In Judd Winnick's books, he also learned how to fly, teleport and shoot lasers out of tvs.  This is because Judd Winnick is a moron.

The problem is that while he may be able to match Magneto in terms of firepower and force fields (maybe not the second one), Magneto has powers that will allow him to bypass Light's defenses and Light cannot absorb Mags' powers because they generally don't create a bunch of light.
#46 Posted by Johnny_Blazed (1114 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" @Static Shock said:
"Oh, OK. You seem to know more about villains than heroes. But, yes, of course he would beat the Ray. "
Well I do go out of my way to read about good villains.  Almost every Superman comic I've read has been because he's fighting Mongul this month or Doctor Polaris or Black Adam. "
Wait Superman fought Mongul this month?
#47 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Johnny_Blazed said:
"@Zoom said:
" Well I do go out of my way to read about good villains.  Almost every Superman comic I've read has been because he's fighting Mongul this month or Doctor Polaris or Black Adam.
Wait Superman fought Mongul this month? "
Nah.  I meant that if I looked at the comic stand and saw Mongul on the cover of Superman, I'd buy the comic because I like Mongul.
#48 Posted by Johnny_Blazed (1114 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" @Johnny_Blazed said:
"@Zoom said:
" Well I do go out of my way to read about good villains.  Almost every Superman comic I've read has been because he's fighting Mongul this month or Doctor Polaris or Black Adam.
Wait Superman fought Mongul this month? "
Nah.  I meant that if I looked at the comic stand and saw Mongul on the cover of Superman, I'd buy the comic because I like Mongul. "
ahhh you should read GLC right now because hes becoming the main villian
#49 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I am. :-D

#50 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"@Static Shock said:
Well I do go out of my way to read about good villains.  Almost every Superman comic I've read has been because he's fighting Mongul this month or Doctor Polaris or Black Adam

.@Akwa said:

"Could somebody give me a list of Dr Light's feats?"

He essentially controls light.  He can make force fields, lasers, heat blasts, illusions and manipulate anything that creates light.  In the 80s (because Silver Age DC mostly annoys me, I haven't read much of Light's exploits before he became a Titans villain), he was very very dependant on manipulating light and not much else.  For instance he would block a starbolt from Starfire with ease but fall to a kick to the face from Robin.  Originally, all these powers were tech based.Post Identity Crisis, Dr. Light recieved a huge power boost that allowed him to not just slightly manipulate light but absolutely dominate it.  He could rip heat vision from Superboy's eyes, lighting from Wonder Girl's magic lasso, energy from a green lantern ring and so on.  He fought the Ray and the good Dr. Light and curbstomped them both.  Additionally, his force fields became much much stronger, he gained the ability to see through any illusions (he might of had that before), his blasts became more powerful, he learned to suck all the light out of an area, leaving it in total darkness and his powers were completely internalized meaning he didn't need tech.In Judd Winnick's books, he also learned how to fly, teleport and shoot lasers out of tvs.  This is because Judd Winnick is a moron.The problem is that while he may be able to match Magneto in terms of firepower and force fields (maybe not the second one), Magneto has powers that will allow him to bypass Light's defenses and Light cannot absorb Mags' powers because they generally don't create a bunch of light. "

Magneto's done some pretty crazy stuff too. Can Dr Light control other things in the electromagnetic spectrum beside light and infra-red energy?