• 75 results
#1 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20238 posts) - - Show Bio

Rules

• Morals off and bloodlust.
  • Current versions
  • Standard equipment.
  • Start 20 ft. apart

Setting

Gladiator Arena (man and women in picture are not in this battle)

Contestants

Dovahkiin

VS

Link

#2 Posted by joewell (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: you might wanna list the equipment specificity because these 2 don't really have a standard

#3 Posted by Trodorne (2587 posts) - - Show Bio

Dovahkin. He can call on Odahving and use the unrelenting shout on him. What link is going to use his long shot? hahaha don't think so. FUS RU DAH!

#4 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Link stands no chance against Dovahkin's shouts

#5 Posted by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Link has tons of spells though

he could stand a chance against dragonborn

#6 Posted by Laurcus (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Dovahkiin is a little OP for Link imo. And yeah, there is no standard equipment for those two. Just on shouts alone I think Dovahkiin takes it. I don't even want to get into his insane strength. Fyi, gods in Elder Scrolls are planet busters, easily, and Dovahkiin holds his own quite well against a god.

#7 Posted by SpeedForceSpider (902 posts) - - Show Bio

Fierce Deity Mask Link.

#8 Posted by Wolfrazer (6687 posts) - - Show Bio

That armor looks weird on Link....though I feel as if people are selling Link a little short here.

#9 Posted by Sufferthorn (1738 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming he gets all shouts...Dragonborn

#10 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on equipment, Link should win this.

Link has access to magic, shields that would block shouts, etc.

Not to mention Link is physically stronger, as far as I know.

Equipment-wise, I'll need some proof the Dragonborn can keep up.

Also, when I played the game and shouted at common civilizans, they'd just be knocked down or tell me to stop yelling. Their health didn't even drop.

ALL THIS SHOUTING IS MAKING ME NERVOUS.

Yeah, going by the fact that the shout is only going to knock Link down (probably won't even) and that it does NO damage, Link takes it fairly handily.

#11 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20238 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme said:

Also, when I played the game and shouted at common civilizans, they'd just be knocked down or tell me to stop yelling. Their health didn't even drop.

That's only for game purposes.

I shouted at a giant once and sent him flying.

"Be water my friend"

#12 Posted by joewell (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: sooooo you gonna edit the equipment?

#13 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@greenteaforme said:

That's only for game purposes.

I shouted at a giant once and sent him flying.

"Be water my friend"

In either case, it does no damage.

What is Link going to do?

Well, I imagine he'd get up.

Not to mention the fact that I still believe the shouts should be totally blockable.

#14 Posted by Laurcus (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme said:

Yeah, going by the fact that the shout is only going to knock Link down (probably won't even) and that it does NO damage, Link takes it fairly handily.

There's more than one shout. The shout you're talking about is Unrelenting Force. And from the description of it, probably just Fus, the first word of the shout. There are shouts to breathe fire at people, slow time, summon dragons, turn into a spirit, the list goes on. And concerning physical strength, let me break this down for you.

The last boss of Skyrim is Alduin, the Nordic god of destruction. Alduin is the seventh strongest god to ever exist, behind Anu, Sithis, Nirn, Akatosh, (before giving up his powers) Magnus and Jyggalag, in that order. In the time of Skyrim, Alduin was the second strongest god in existence, only still behind Jyggalag, as the others had either gotten weaker, died or left the known dimensions and realms of existence as we understand them.

The gods in Elder Scrolls can take many forms, and all of them are easily planet busters. How do I know they're planet busters? They fight each other all the time, and many gods have been slain. You may ask how that equates to planet busting. And that's simple. The gods in Elder Scrolls are actually planets. All planets are currently, or were once gods. The planet that the games take place on is Nirn, a goddess that was slain by Sithis before time began.

Alduin's purpose is to eat planets, to kill other gods. And Dovahkiin defeats him. Granted, he had the help of the three most powerful Nord warriors to ever exist, as well as Dragon Rend, but even before that Dovahkiin forced Alduin to flee in a previous battle. Alduin is like the Galactus of Elder Scrolls. The main characters of Elder Scrolls games are more like cosmic entities concerning their power and abilities in lore. In Elder Scrolls 4 you even fight and defeat Jyggalag, the god that was so powerful most of the other gods ganged up on him and tried to take away his powers.

It may be difficult to think of it in those terms, with how much your character's abilities are scaled back for gameplay purposes. But try to understand, that's what the lore is really like.

#15 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Laurcus said:

@greenteaforme said:

There's more than one shout. The shout you're talking about is Unrelenting Force. And from the description of it, probably just Fus, the first word of the shout. There are shouts to breathe fire at people, slow time, summon dragons, turn into a spirit, the list goes on. And concerning physical strength, let me break this down for you.

The last boss of Skyrim is Alduin, the Nordic god of destruction. Alduin is the seventh strongest god to ever exist, behind Anu, Sithis, Nirn, Akatosh, (before giving up his powers) Magnus and Jyggalag, in that order. In the time of Skyrim, Alduin was the second strongest god in existence, only still behind Jyggalag, as the others had either gotten weaker, died or left the known dimensions and realms of existence as we understand them.

The gods in Elder Scrolls can take many forms, and all of them are easily planet busters. How do I know they're planet busters? They fight each other all the time, and many gods have been slain. You may ask how that equates to planet busting. And that's simple. The gods in Elder Scrolls are actually planets. All planets are currently, or were once gods. The planet that the games take place on is Nirn, a goddess that was slain by Sithis before time began.

Alduin's purpose is to eat planets, to kill other gods. And Dovahkiin defeats him. Granted, he had the help of the three most powerful Nord warriors to ever exist, as well as Dragon Rend, but even before that Dovahkiin forced Alduin to flee in a previous battle. Alduin is like the Galactus of Elder Scrolls. The main characters of Elder Scrolls games are more like cosmic entities concerning their power and abilities in lore. In Elder Scrolls 4 you even fight and defeat Jyggalag, the god that was so powerful most of the other gods ganged up on him and tried to take away his powers.

It may be difficult to think of it in those terms, with how much your character's abilities are scaled back for gameplay purposes. But try to understand, that's what the lore is really like.

In response to the wall of text, all I really have to say is

eating a planet is not busting a planet.

Eating a planet is also not a feat of power. If you're written to be able to eat planets, it's obvious an inherent ability of your physiology.

Link also has defenses against fire breathers, isn't concerned with dragons and etc.

If you want to really take "this was scaled back for gameplay, this is how it would work in 'real life'", Link is physically capable of ripping the Dragonborn in half with his bare hands with no effort, armor and all.

I'm inclined to believe Zelda has a lot more "scaling back" than Skyrim does for the sake of gameplay. Not to mention if this is some sort of amalgam Link, he would have access to such a wide variety of magic. Link has spells and equipment to: make shields of impenetrable fire, raise his durability and raise it again and raise it again, heal himself, allow himself to fly, cast thunder, reflect ranged attacks, throw balls of fire, shoot lazors, increase his physical strength over and over and over and over, increase his jumping ability, etc., etc.

That isn't even the end of it.

I'm going to say Link is too versatile and too amped for this fight.

Otherwise, I'd need a specific Link.

#16 Posted by Wolfrazer (6687 posts) - - Show Bio
@greenteaforme:  When could he just keep increasing his physical strength? Talking of the golden gauntlets right? But then again, its never really stated that with said gauntlets his strength is so it could be indefinite.
#17 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

@greenteaforme: When could he just keep increasing his physical strength? Talking of the golden gauntlets right? But then again, its never really stated that with said gauntlets his strength is so it could be indefinite.

There are equivalent bracelets and whatnot from other games. I simply stacked them on each other for effect ;P

#18 Posted by Wolfrazer (6687 posts) - - Show Bio
@greenteaforme said:

@Wolfrazer said:

@greenteaforme: When could he just keep increasing his physical strength? Talking of the golden gauntlets right? But then again, its never really stated that with said gauntlets his strength is so it could be indefinite.

There are equivalent bracelets and whatnot from other games. I simply stacked them on each other for effect ;P

Ya I know, but seeing as there didn't seem to be a limit or any telling of how much he'd really just need 1 of them. (Not the power bracelet, but the golden gauntlets should suffice.)
#19 Posted by Mr_Winchester (708 posts) - - Show Bio

Given his divierse set of powers I think Dovahkiin takes this this. That said Link only has to shoot an arrow to the knee in order to win ;)

#20 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Dragonborn have to wait between shouts? That could be key.

#21 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

Dovahkinn is a huge man who has killed countless people and he is put up against a young teenage boy with minimal sword training, this is a massacre. Links best trait is that he seems to be the only guy in Hyrule that does anything and has enough sense to roll out of the way of all those slow moving telegrammed attacks from giant monsters. He is not a good match up for most computer game characters, hell I could take him if I had a sword and shield.

#22 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

He has shouts that would kill him out right so I don't think there will be an inbetween, I think using them in the first place would be unfair but this is one-sided anyway.

#23 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

Yeah. Just as much as he has to in the games.

"Be water my friend"

#24 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister:

Yeah, I have to agree. Dragonborn is just to versatile for Link.

#25 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: That would be harder then, but I still think Dovahkiin pulls through. Because..

@Razero said:

Dragonborn is just to versatile for Link.

#26 Posted by Wolfrazer (6687 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dextersinister:  Uh I don't know where you get he has minimal sword training, he is a master swordsmen. Also Link isn't a teenager, he is mostly seen either as a kid or an adult and going by the picture he is an adult here. Should perhaps read up on Link.
#27 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

@Dextersinister: Uh I don't know where you get he has minimal sword training, he is a master swordsmen. Also Link isn't a teenager, he is mostly seen either as a kid or an adult and going by the picture he is an adult here. Should perhaps read up on Link.

He is a master swordsman? Most versions of Link never receive any training and those that do are on some secluded out of the way area where the only person he trains with is an old man, so maybe he is a master in the sense that everyone else out of the 5 people he is aware of are abysmal.

Again this is a huge armoured man who has killed countless people against someone with no upper body strength and as far as I'm aware has never been in a proper sword fight against anyone.

#28 Posted by allfornot2 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Wolfrazer said:

@Dextersinister: Uh I don't know where you get he has minimal sword training, he is a master swordsmen. Also Link isn't a teenager, he is mostly seen either as a kid or an adult and going by the picture he is an adult here. Should perhaps read up on Link.

He is a master swordsman? Most versions of Link never receive any training and those that do are on some secluded out of the way area where the only person he trains with is an old man, so maybe he is a master in the sense that everyone else out of the 5 people he is aware of are abysmal.

Again this is a huge armoured man who has killed countless people against someone with no upper body strength and as far as I'm aware has never been in a proper sword fight against anyone.

Spoken like someone with no idea what he's talking about.

#29 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

@allfornot2 said:

@Dextersinister said:

@Wolfrazer said:

With your lack of information proving otherwise my points based on how things played out in both games stand. The only Link that has any training worth a damn would be this one:

It's funny that this version of Link is the most fleshed out character wise of all of them despite being an abomination, still wouldn't rate his chances very high.

#30 Edited by Wolfrazer (6687 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dextersinister said:

@Wolfrazer said:

No he is a master swordsmen.

"Some say that this piece of the Triforce may give the wielder an instinctive mastery of any item or weapon, as Link is always proficient with an item the second he gets it, regardless of how difficult it may be to use; however, Link is frequently shown mastering various items while not in possession of the Triforce.  "

Weither its because of his Triforce of courage or not, he has mastered any item that he has gotten.
#31 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Skyrim.

I will point out that both slay dragons on a fairly regular basis.

@Dextersinister said:

That was pretty ignorant.

#32 Posted by Laurcus (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@allfornot2 said:

@Dextersinister said:

@Wolfrazer said:

With your lack of information proving otherwise my points based on how things played out in both games stand. The only Link that has any training worth a damn would be this one:

It's funny that this version of Link is the most fleshed out character wise of all of them despite being an abomination, still wouldn't rate his chances very high.

I think Dovahkiin would curbstomp Link easily, with a punch, not even any gear or shouts. And I think you're lowballing the hell out of Link.

#33 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on the shouts he has.

A Dragonborn could be as weak as to only have unrelenting force while others have the ability to make meteors fall from the sky and time stopping ability :p

I like Dovah more so I'm going with him

#34 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Laurcus: Zelda games are not known for there fast paced action or the main character rising to untold levels of power like in most RPG's, they are about a swordsman who goes through trap filled dungeons and uses ingenuity to get around them and exploit weaknesses on giant monsters. Link may be very popular but he isn't a killing machine and there is nothing wrong with that.

#35 Posted by XLR87T3 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragonborn wins.

#36 Posted by Kamal Re'x the Abductor (230 posts) - - Show Bio

How good is link's knee armor? :P

#37 Edited by MorganFreeman (446 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Wolfrazer said:

The various Links are an ancient hero of the gods reincarnated. Link will obviously take up swordsmanship easier than most. Never mind his uncle in A Link to the Past being a knight, the training grounds of the Kokiri in Kokiri Forest, Orca in The Wind Waker having trophies on his wall from creatures that could swallow a man whole, Rusl in Twilight Princess being a seasoned warrior, etc.

The no upper body strength comment makes no sense at all. Some of Link's equipment has him tossing around boulders far larger than he is. The Power Bracelet, Titan's Mitt, Silver/Gold Gauntlets... I'd favor Link in the strength department by a mile. Especially if Link is allowed the Gold Gauntlets (3:44 in the video):

All that being said though, I have to say the Dovahkiin probably wins this due to one main reason: regeneration. Both his health and magic slowly regenerate over time. Link's magic and health do not. This gives the Dragonborn one heck of an edge in the long run. The Shouts will make a big difference, too. The fight won't be easy but I can see Dovahkiin using ranged attacks wisely and whittling Link's health down.

#38 Posted by reikai (4233 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually don't mean to bump, but this was always one of those "identical hero" match ups. For one thing, Link isn't all that strong without an item to boost his Lifting Ability, not his actual strength or attack values. Those items allowed him to withstand the pressure of weight.

On the other hand, the Dovahkiin is, in fact, physically strong. At the very beginning of the game he has a Carrying Capacity, the weight limit of what he's able to carry on his person without slowing down, was 300lbs. With the Game Mechanics however, the player can exceed this capacity and still keep moving, though their Movement Speed would be reduced to a slow walk. Still, this excess capacity could go far beyond what the Dovahkiin can endure, to an almost infinite level and still be able to move.

However I'd like to keep his capacity within that limit, since slowing down would be a pain. Still, that Capacity increased with the Dovahkiin's Stamina. Even taking time to keep Magicka, Health and Stamina on equal footing, bringing them up to 500 a piece would net the Dovahkiin's carrying strength at 700lbs. So, physically, he's much stronger than Link without an item boost than Link is without the bracelets or gauntlets.

Of course, there are Enchantments that can be used on armor to increase the Dovahkiin's carrying capacity. But I generally ignore them since it's not necessary and, in the case of a Vs debate, I'd rather have the Dovahkiin in Lore Based gear as opposed to Player Made equipment.

Oh another note, Unrelenting Force does cause damage, and that damage is increased by the victims striking into objects, walls and even the ground. Blowing them off a cliff an such would kill them. And yes, it has even been used to bowl over Giants.

Moving long, Link's greatest defense is the Hyrulian Shield, which is indestructible and can deflect direct magic attacks. However, Link can't defend if he's using a two-handed weapon, so I would assume he'd stick to defense as much as possible. Links arrows and other tools wouldn't be very useful against the Dovahkiin.

In response, Dovahkiin has two shields he could use. One is Spellbreaker, which yields great defense, as well as creating a Ward against magical attacks as well. And then there's Auriel's Shield, which is said to make the wielder all but invincible, and the more force it blocks, the more energy it stores within itself, which can be released in a Power Bash that can cause damage equal to the total amount of force it had absorbed up to that point.

Link's bow isn't anything special and he has a few types of arrows from Fire to Light and so forth. Dovahkiin has several powerful bows, though by Lore, Auriel's Bow would be the most powerful as it's power source is the Sun itself and combined with Sunhallowed Arrows can deliver more explosive punishment than Link's Light Arrows ever could.

#39 Posted by onilordasmodeus (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@reikai:

I think you may be reaching a bit with the use of 'carrying capacity' as a means of judging strength. Link (with items) has shown great strength and stamina (whether withstanding pressure or applying it), but likewise Dovakiin has potions and spells that enhance his stregth as well, and in the right combinations possibly ten time his norm.

It's important to point out that Dovakiin stats are nessesarily set in stone like Links are. If nobody knew, Skyrim just got an new update recently that allows for stats to go twice as high as before as the level cap was basically removed. He just obstecibly got an overall stat-boost.

All things concidered, I think the Dragonborn has this is the bag, but Link will put up an awsome fight.

#40 Posted by reikai (4233 posts) - - Show Bio
@onilordasmodeus said:

@reikai:

I think you may be reaching a bit with the use of 'carrying capacity' as a means of judging strength. Link (with items) has shown great strength and stamina (whether withstanding pressure or applying it), but likewise Dovakiin has potions and spells that enhance his stregth as well, and in the right combinations possibly ten time his norm.

It's not much of a reach since the Weight system in Skyrim was fairly well fleshed out and most items, food, potions, and equipment all had weight values added to them which ranged anything from 0.1lbs to higher, some armor being 30+lbs. Strangely the only things that had No Weight were Gold (Septims) and arrows/bolts. Probably because players would tend to have a lot of ammunition on them and you'd need like 50thousand Septims for a home with upgrades in Solitude.

Excluding those few things, the weight scales in Skyrim were fairly accurate, which gives us a fair measure of the Dovahkiin's strength as he progressed. We can't say the same for Link as the Zelda games did not have such a system nor was it ever to be made part of their games since it wasn't an important factor to the story or development of the game. Anything that was "too heavy" they'd just give him a magic item to boost his lifting strength so he could move it.

It's important to point out that Dovakiin stats are nessesarily set in stone like Links are. If nobody knew, Skyrim just got an new update recently that allows for stats to go twice as high as before as the level cap was basically removed. He just obstecibly got an overall stat-boost.

I didn't even think there was a level cap to begin with since it takes almost forever to get to a high level the normal way and even cheating and kicking your skill ranks up only gets you around lv80. However the new equipment with the Dragonborn DLC isn't all that much different from what we had already and Hiraak's gear is quite 3rd rate compared to what the player can make for themselves.

All things concidered, I think the Dragonborn has this is the bag, but Link will put up an awsome fight.

Well that is the thing. They both have effectively indestructible weapons with indestructible shields, means of self-healing, and abilities/items that can reduce damage taken by a huge percentage. Think it was Red Ring gives Link 90% damage reduction. Dovahkiin's armor reduced damage by quite a lot by itself in Heavy Armor and the Dragonflesh Alteration Spell reduces all damage taken by 80% for 30sec. With perks it can also absorb a percentage of magical energy to restore the Dovahkiin's magicka.

Some argue for links Four swords to make four of himself, which means he can't deflect Light/Lightning magic with the Master sword. And Dovahkiin can summon Dremora Lords and/or Dragons with his Shouts and/or a Dark Brotherhood spectral assassin and/or a Hero of Sovngarde with a Shout.
#41 Posted by onilordasmodeus (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@reikai:

You've got a point with the wieght system; I didn't think about it that way. It is well fleshed out and it does extend beyond just him and into the world itself. So I'll go with you on that one.

Yeah there's a level cap...I hit it by cheating :o) , but yeah, you can effectively get to level 200 in each category now if not more.

I'd give Link the edge in weapons. His sword and shields were created by godlike beings (iirc), but eveyrthing else he has would most likely be on par with what Dovakiin is packing. Magicwise Dova has advantage since he has more diversity and depth to his magical ability.

I agree that the 4 swords gimick won't help him much in this fight, Link would be sacrificing to much just for numbers; re-summonable creatures wins the day IMO.

#42 Posted by SwordandShields (712 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme: NO, Dragonborn shouts time slow then puts an Arrow through Links heart. just so you know Dovahkiin can punch dragons to death so his physical strength is high.

#43 Posted by reikai (4233 posts) - - Show Bio
@onilordasmodeus said:

I'd give Link the edge in weapons. His sword and shields were created by godlike beings (iirc), but eveyrthing else he has would most likely be on par with what Dovakiin is packing. Magicwise Dova has advantage since he has more diversity and depth to his magical ability.

Well that's something I noted earlier. A number of the tools the Dovahkiin has are artifacts made by and/or empowered by Gods. Auriel's Shield and Auriel's Bow are just two such items that were created and used by one of the Divines, Auriel (which is just one of the names he goes by. Most know him as Akatosh). And there is Dawnbreaker, which was created by Meridia, the Daedric Prince of Life and Energy, one of the few Daedric Princes not considered to be wholly evil (if at all in her case).
#44 Posted by IRS (455 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a standard equipment, spell and shout list for each or this could go either way. Otherwise this fight just becomes who moves first. Does the Dragonborn stop time and win before link can do anything, or does Link activate Nayru's love and become immune to everything.

#45 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

@IRS said:

We need a standard equipment, spell and shout list for each or this could go either way. Otherwise this fight just becomes who moves first. Does the Dragonborn stop time and win before link can do anything, or does Link activate Nayru's love and become immune to everything.

Dragonborn could go ethereal to become invulnerable himself, if we go by a basic version the DB will shred him with the Fus Ro Dah. There is no cooldown on shouts within the lore that was only a game mechanic to stop shouts from breaking the game.

#46 Posted by lukebaggins1 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

you people forget that dragonborn needs time to recharge his shouts. plus link has more strategic weapons.

GO LINK!!!

#47 Posted by Stormmagician (139 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be a really close match depending on the equipment they each have. Tho Dragonborn gotta make sure he has no equipment with an dark arua since the Mastersword would immediately dispell it.

#48 Edited by Kobra678 (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Im gonna go with link if they both get all of their equipment. Even though I haven't played Skyrim, nobody has posted anything that Dovahkiin can do that will kill link.

#49 Posted by Dextersinister (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

you people forget that dragonborn needs time to recharge his shouts. plus link has more strategic weapons.

GO LINK!!!

Incorrect it was mentioned in game by someone detailing the fight between Ulfric and the high king that he just kept shouting over and over again. Shouting in Lore is simply them speaking and is incredibly powerful, the cooldown was simply a game mechanic to prevent shouting from breaking the game.

#50 Posted by reikai (4233 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Recharge Time" on shouts is just a mechanic, and one that can actually be cheated down in game without a code. Just takes an amulet of Talos and Alchemy. You can bring the CDT to negatives and have infinite shout.

As for what happened between Ulfric and Toryyg, what happened is Ulfric challenged him, and the moment it started Ulfric used a Shout to knock Toryyg down and them immediately pounced on him and ran Toryyg through the chest before he could regain his bearings. It was a one-sided fight and Ulfric knew he would win because he knew Toryyg couldn't use "The Voice". Balgruuf in Whiterun tells you when you ask, the reason why Ulfric killed Torygg was because "he knew he could".

Moving on. Most of the time, Link only deals with creatures and things that possess specific weaknesses, and has a fairy like Navi to point them out to him. Reading the Manga (which removes mechanics) a number of the bosses were beaten in one or only a few hits to their weak spot. Which doesn't make them difficult by any stretch. The only real trouble was always with Ganondorf.

Still, Link is a skilled swordsman, and thanks to being the "Hero of Time" and the Triforce of Courage, he has the inherent ability to learn skills more quickly as possessed by past incarnations of himself. Which allows him to pick up and learn how to use a sword more quickly and easily than most anyone else. Still, his Spin Attack is easily blocked. In terms of more fundamental skill, the Dovahkiin is the better of the two. The way Skyrim is made, enables the Dovahkiin to learn and become everything. A battlemage, a Warrior, an Assassin, a Thief. Everything.

And ultimately, the Dovahkiin is a killing machine.