• 97 results
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By nick_hero22

Poll Do You Think the Battle Forum Needs a Thread Reset (99 votes)

Yes 34%
No 66%

Do you think that the Battle Forum should be reset back to Page 1 with the previous threads deleted?

• 
Toastergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's your reasoning behind doing this?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

Absolutely not.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no reason why that is at all necessary.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toastergeist: The Battle Forum seems like a clusterf#ck of old threads, and it could possibly allow for much better threads to be made since some of the older threads that were actually good are now outdated because of stipulations created by users who are now non-active. I'm not suggesting that users simply copy old threads, but re-image them because I haven't seen any good threads for awhile and some of the most iconic threads are in the past now.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Horrible Idea is Horrible

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see how resetting things would be a good idea. But only if certain threads could be preserved.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nick_hero22: People use plenty of old battles as reference for old ones. I also don't see the battle forum as any different from the others. They're all populated by old threads.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think old threads should be deleted if this were to occur, but maybe all locked. Of course then you'd have a ton of repeat threads as everybody tries to be the "first" to make such and such a thread. It is an interesting premise.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

No need really but that'd be pretty cool.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not at all.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nick_hero22

@jaken7 said:

@nick_hero22: People use plenty of old battles as reference for old ones. I also don't see the battle forum as any different from the others. They're all populated by old threads.

You have a valid point, but in my perception of things the pros of a Battle Forum reset would out weigh the cons. For instances, we have a whole slew of Batman vs Captain America threads which inevitable leads to a fatigue of Batman vs Captain America threads which would cause users to overlook creative and original threads that uses both of those characters in a particular match-up. You have to honestly admit that the Battle Forum isn't as innovative as it was once upon time, and I believe that has to do with users being fatigued from discussing and using some of the more popular characters in comics in previous threads. I think a fresh start would revitalize interest in the Battle Forum.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yes! Best idea ever!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: Yeah, except you know that as soon as we reset we'd have a ton of people making Hulk vs Thor at the same time. So what thread counts as original and what ones as repeats? I think there would need to be a system in place before hand, but I do think it's worth consideration. I know on some threads you have 20 pages or more and some of the threads are six and seven years old. It would probably be a decent idea to lock and remake threads every five years or so. That way you're not jumping past x pages of obsolete debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I see no reason why that is at all necessary.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nick_hero22

@shootingnova said:

@nick_hero22: Does it really have any proper benefit?

I just stated a potential pro in my previous comments, but here is a short list.

1) The fatigue of certain scenarios and characters due to an over-saturation of related threads on the Battle Forums would be virtually eliminated.

2) The Battle Forum would be less congested because no one is going to navigate 1000+ pages in search of threads to comment on, so having that many pages seems redundant to me.

3) Threads would be more popular and garner more participation because the number of pages and threads after the reset would be much smaller in comparison to the past. Currently, there are so many threads that comments and user participation is all over the place, but if we could funnel all of those comments and participation to smaller load of threads I believe that we create more interesting discussions with a lot of participation from the community, but this pro would only last so long.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dredeuced

I wouldn't mind getting rid of all the locked ones. People who rekindle ol spite threads are the types to actually search it up and check in the first place.

But I haven't given it much thought and it's probably not even a problem so there's no point in exerting to effort to deal with it.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nyet

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShootingNova

1) The fatigue of certain scenarios and characters due to an over-saturation of related threads on the Battle Forums would be virtually eliminated.

2) The Battle Forum would be less congested because no one is going to navigate 1000+ pages in search of threads to comment on, so having that many pages seems redundant to me.

3) Threads would be more popular and garner more participation because the number of pages and threads after the reset would be much smaller in comparison to the past. Currently, there are so many threads that comments and user participation is all over the place, but if we could funnel all of those comments and participation to smaller load of threads I believe that we create more interesting discussions with a lot of participation from the community, but this pro would only last so long.

1. But then, there would be more references for debaters to draw on, more evidence like scans previously posted that one might not have access to - etc.

2. You don't search through most of these pages, anyways. I mean, who goes back to the last page and posts on stuff there? And IIRC, most of those are locked already.

3. Well, to be honest, most of these older threads are just ignored.

MorganFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nick_hero22

@risingbean said:

@nick_hero22: Yeah, except you know that as soon as we reset we'd have a ton of people making Hulk vs Thor at the same time. So what thread counts as original and what ones as repeats? I think there would need to be a system in place before hand, but I do think it's worth consideration. I know on some threads you have 20 pages or more and some of the threads are six and seven years old. It would probably be a decent idea to lock and remake threads every five years or so. That way you're not jumping past x pages of obsolete debate.

I have some issues with some parts of your post.

1) I serious doubt that we would have a onslaught of Hulk vs Thor threads when there are other characters and threads which are just as popular who would also be affected by the reset.

2) If the stipulations in the OP are the same or very similar then it counts as a repeat, so I don't see how this is a big deal especially when the page count would be so small that someone would have a hard time overlooking a Hulk vs Thor thread with the same rules.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I actually think it sounds like a pretty neat idea, there is many great and obvious battles that you can't do again since they have already been done so you are torn between bumping a several years old topic with outdated info or just not do the battle.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22 said:

1. But then, there would be more references for debaters to draw on, more evidence like scans previously posted that one might not have access to - etc.

2. You don't search through most of these pages, anyways. I mean, who goes back to the last page and posts on stuff there? And IIRC, most of those are locked already.

3. Well, to be honest, most of these older threads are just ignored.

1) That would be a potential con but a counter to that would be that we have a pretty large community of veteran users and a thread that in goes into details about the Battle Forums rules and what is to be expected. And, even if the staff and mods felt that would be an issue they can always preserve a few threads and put a link to them in the Battle Forum Rules as a reference guide; but those threads that are linked in the Battle Forum Rules should be locked though.

2) That's why I said that having that many pages is redundant and makes the Battle Forum congested.

3) True but due to such a large quantity of threads users who are active participants on the Battle Forum are kinda all over the place with their comments.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: That's the other side of it, and I'd have to agree. Eventually every conceivable battle will have been made. However, I'd still like the threads to be accessible as an invaluable tool and resource as a font of knowledge regarding new battles.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22:

1. But they might not have those scans or quotes or whatever. Really, there's nothing wrong with having those threads there except for if you really care about them and hate the look of the board or something.... LOL.

2. It's not worth the effort. They just get ignored or occasionally used for scans or what not, so they should remain there.

3. Unless you scour through all those ancient threads, how much of an issue does this actually present to you?

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@bruxae: That's the other side of it, and I'd have to agree. Eventually every conceivable battle will have been made. However, I'd still like the threads to be accessible as an invaluable tool and resource as a font of knowledge regarding new battles.

I feel like we have reached the point where every popular battle has been made. And, as I told ShootingNova, the mods and staff could always lock certain threads that they think would be good reference guides and put a link to them in the Battle Forum Rules.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22:

1. But they might not have those scans or quotes or whatever. Really, there's nothing wrong with having those threads there except for if you really care about them and hate the look of the board or something.... LOL.

2. It's not worth the effort. They just get ignored or occasionally used for scans or what not, so they should remain there.

3. Unless you scour through all those ancient threads, how much of an issue does this actually present to you?

1) I just fine them useless especially with DC's New 52 and Marvel's relaunch of their series, and if push comes to shove I believe those scans can be found in the image galleries of that user and particular character?

2) I have to disagree with you on this point. I believe that it would be in the best interest of everyone in keeping the Battle Forum as least congested as possible.

3) I doesn't present an issue for me because I have been busy lately, but you have to admit that a smaller load of threads would garner more participation in those particular threads.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: Hulk and Thor was just my example. There will be tons. Cap vs Batman, Wolverine vs Spider-Man, Paste Pot Pete vs the Condiment King.

I'm at a lost I think. I was under the impression you wanted to start over from scratch. Thus closing or deleting old threads which would allow for repeats on the basic setups of yesteryear.

Unless we are still speaking of people making them quickly after the "reboot" Trust me if 25 people all make a similar thread at 1201, then it'd be hard to say whose thread takes precedence. It'd be like CV mods saying Jan 1st you can start over, I bet you at least a dozen people would jump on one of those endless debate fights.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: If you had just come out and said that's what you were referring to, I think you would've recieved very different reactions.

I've often wondered what would happen once we've done all the battles we can as well.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nick_hero22

@risingbean said:

@nick_hero22: Hulk and Thor was just my example. There will be tons. Cap vs Batman, Wolverine vs Spider-Man, Paste Pot Pete vs the Condiment King.

I'm at a lost I think. I was under the impression you wanted to start over from scratch. Thus closing or deleting old threads which would allow for repeats on the basic setups of yesteryear.

Unless we are still speaking of people making them quickly after the "reboot" Trust me if 25 people all make a similar thread at 1201, then it'd be hard to say whose thread takes precedence. It'd be like CV mods saying Jan 1st you can start over, I bet you at least a dozen people would jump on one of those endless debate fights.

I think the Battle Forum should be reset back to page 1 with all of the older threads deleted or locked and linked to the Battle Forum Rules threads as a reference guide.

I doubt that all of those threads would be coincidentally created at exactly the same time, but this could be overcame by the staff listing the time of a thread's creation on it's tab on the main Battle Forum page, and I could of sworn that we use to do that in previous reincarnations of Comic Vine.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I don't see how they would change things because I still believe that we should be reset back to page 1 with all of the older threads deleted with the exception of a few good threads (locked) as reference guides.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: I'm cool with it.

I'll reiterate my point once more before I drop it. Some of the most obvious fights would almost definitely be duped if there isn't a system in place. If the mods said "In five minutes make a fight", how many users are going to make Thor vs Hulk or Superman vs Thor, or Batman vs Cap? While it may not be hundreds, I bet you'd get at least a few dozen minimum. It happens now when movies come out. If we were to somehow reset, we'd need to have a thread detailing who opens what thread, or have the mods themselves make up the most obvious fights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Guess if I ever want to review my old debates I can check an old CAV- oh wait, reset.

I think I remember someone posting scans in that old thread- oh wait, reset.

______ posted a good argument a while ago on that thread, shame he's gone- oh wait, reset. Guess we'll never see his posts ever again.

Terrible idea. We have far too much invested in this forum and its really not even that cluttered.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jwwprod
Loading Video...

My exact answers to this entire question.

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZeroPlus

There's no reason for that to happen.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The negatives of this idea outweigh the positives.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People would just end up remaking the deleted threads by mistake. So we'd accomplish nothing.

The negatives of this idea outweigh the positives.

This

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kyrees

what's the point of removing all the past threads when the influx of new threads and the mods scrambling to organize them would be way too much for them to handle ? the massive downpour of new threads would be too taxing for them to monitor and the battle forums are one of the most visited parts of comicvine.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dondave

Hell no

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nick_hero22: Why are you still bumping this? We're not deleting over 7 years of work and history just to keep things tidy.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made so much contribution to many battles, I don't want to start all over.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Guess if I ever want to review my old debates I can check an old CAV- oh wait, reset.

I think I remember someone posting scans in that old thread- oh wait, reset.

______ posted a good argument a while ago on that thread, shame he's gone- oh wait, reset. Guess we'll never see his posts ever again.

Terrible idea. We have far too much invested in this forum and its really not even that cluttered.

couldn't have put it any better. this.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not rebooted, but I do understand the bumping of old threads, since comics are dynamics and new feats come along the way that can change the direction of battles. Also, as new people come, there might be new perspectives. There are some threads that have been beat to death, though, and most of the logic is the same as it was 1, 2, 3, ... years ago, so there is a balance.

Also, a lot of threads are really good for reference. There are many interesting angles and long thought out posts with ideas that were spur of the moment that would be lost. I, myself, have learned quite a bit from older threads.

Fodder76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO THIS IS PATRICK!!!

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awful idea.

Take away the threads = you take away learning possibilities and past memories that some have worked very hard in.