#1 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

The Rules:

1. This is a battle of wits.
  2. All of Conan's anime series, movie, and manga feats are allowed.
  3. All of Light's anime, live action movie, and manga feats are allowed.
  4. Backstory: This is an alternate scenario where Conan is called in to investigate the mysterious "Kira murders" instead of L.

Is Conan shrewd enough to identify and arrest Light or would he suffer the same fate as L?

Who wins and why?

#2 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Cooldes (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

idk who detective conan is...

#4 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen Detective Conan in ages, it's a tough call.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#5 Edited by Cooldes (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

feats? scans?

#6 Edited by NeonGameWave (7712 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this would be a wicked crossover and battle!!!!!!!!!!! I don`t know who to choose, I`m a massive fan of both!!!! I think it could go either way but Light in fact does have the edge over Conan when it comes to his dark intellect and shadowy calculations due to the fact that he`s willing to go further to get something done.

#7 Posted by Thedarklordpandamonium (4825 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats for Conan?

#8 Edited by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2:

Really? I'm surprised you've never seen or read Death Note; it's a great manga.

@neongamewave: Would you or anyone else care to post Light's and/or Conan's feats here?

#12 Posted by Dratini1331 (7028 posts) - - Show Bio

Conan based on the virtue of being in child form and using a default false name all of the time. Light would underestimate him, though Kogoro would likely be killed...

#13 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: My bad, I forgot to call you into this debate. So you think that Light could outwit and kill members of Conan's team (like Kogoro) but not Conan himself. Interesting viewpoint.

#14 Posted by EternalDecider (293 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with Conan. And what Dratini said.

#15 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the X-factor in this battle is Ryuk. Depending on much he's willing to assist Light, he could be the determining factor. If he doesn't help at all then Conan has this.

#16 Posted by Dratini1331 (7028 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Conan has the edge of having his alias, and Kogoro is the famous one of the team, but he's also not too bright. Conan also has the FBI contacts and CIA contacts, so he could be considered on an even playing field in most regards, though Light may be a little better in planning.

Ryuk will be doing no helping. Ryuk has had that chance many times, and done nothing:

When confronting Naomi Misora, Ryuk knew she was using an alias, but only laughed. Light's plan to trick her would also not work on Conan. Conan is also at least as capable as Misora, and I could definitely argue more so. Light would never see him coming, and thus be in a bind. Ryuk helping also means he dies, so he wouldn't help Light.

#17 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Conan has the edge of having his alias, and Kogoro is the famous one of the team, but he's also not too bright. Conan also has the FBI contacts and CIA contacts, so he could be considered on an even playing field in most regards, though Light may be a little better in planning.

Ryuk will be doing no helping. Ryuk has had that chance many times, and done nothing:

When confronting Naomi Misora, Ryuk knew she was using an alias, but only laughed. Light's plan to trick her would also not work on Conan. Conan is also at least as capable as Misora, and I could definitely argue more so. Light would never see him coming, and thus be in a bind. Ryuk helping also means he dies, so he wouldn't help Light.

You're absolutely right. Light would have to carry a lifetime supply of apples to bribe Ryuk into assisting and even then, he'd probably only do the bare minimum. I was just throwin' out a hypothetical but, logically, your explanation makes more sense based on the evidence provided.

#19 Posted by RogueShadow (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Does Conan have the same level of anonymity L had in this scenario? L spent his entire life as a detective hiding his name from the world minus the Wami instiute, I know Conan changed his name, but it's not really the same, Light might be able to find out his true identity in this scenario.

#20 Edited by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

Yes he does have the same anonymity as L did. This is basically a "What If" scenario where Conan is called in to catch Kira instead of L. I guess the real question is: Is Conan a better detective than L?

#21 Posted by Saren (25569 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by scorpion2501 (5395 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Also flagged jackbensley777 for trolling.

On topic: I think L is a better dective than Conan, but Light would underestimate Conan, thinking he's just a child. but it could go either way. Really interesting match up. Great work.

#23 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by RogueShadow (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Okay, thanks. To start I'd say L is the better detective for this specific [supernatural] type of killer.

I would say that the two implement a different form of detective work, with L being the, 'armchair detective',in the vain of Nero Wolfe or Mycroft Holmes, whilst Conan is a Sherlock Holmes style with more movement and action orientated work [Obviously not in the same manner as RDJ's Sherlock], which will be rendered moot in this investigation.

The other key difference is that L rarely utilises physical deduction like Conan does, looking at appearances and physical details. This is probably due the fact that Light leaves no tangible evidence for L to uncover [So we never really see him let loose Holmes style], save the death note. Conan's more kinetic detection and scanning of scenes may make him less able than L in this scenario.

His other flaw is that he is nowhere near as ruthless as L,who will let people die to obtain information [Amongst the first things L does in the investigation of Kira].

I think that Conan meets Kira blow for blow until Misa appears, then dies.

But I would like to admit I am a Major Death note fanboy and detective Conan isn't in my top 20 Anime series, so...

#25 Edited by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: Okay, thanks. To start I'd say L is the better detective for this specific [supernatural] type of killer.

I would say that the two implement a different form of detective work, with L being the, 'armchair detective',in the vain of Nero Wolfe or Mycroft Holmes, whilst Conan is a Sherlock Holmes style with more movement and action orientated work [Obviously not in the same manner as RDJ's Sherlock], which will be rendered moot in this investigation.

The other key difference is that L rarely utilises physical deduction like Conan does, looking at appearances and physical details. This is probably due the fact that Light leaves no tangible evidence for L to uncover [So we never really see him let loose Holmes style], save the death note. Conan's more kinetic detection and scanning of scenes may make him less able than L in this scenario.

His other flaw is that he is nowhere near as ruthless as L,who will let people die to obtain information [Amongst the first things L does in the investigation of Kira].

I think that Conan meets Kira blow for blow until Misa appears, then dies.

But I would like to admit I am a Major Death note fanboy and detective Conan isn't in my top 20 Anime series, so...

That's okay, still a good viewpoint.

#26 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16285 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice match up. Although I think Conan is being a little underestimated here. Admittedly its been years since I've read/watched it. But comparing him to L I say Conan is far more flexible when it comes to deduction. L was pretty much very specialized, which can be good and bad. I think Conan is far more diverse in what he's dealt with and therefore can perhaps think on his feet much better.

I don't think I'm bias. The first part of Death Note was fantastic (probably top 10) until L dies, at which point I felt they should have stopped and it was pretty boring afterwards. And I enjoy'd Conan when I was younger, but have no intentions to watch/read it again anytime soon.

I don't really know fair it is to include Misa in the match up strictly speaking. It is suppose to be a 1v1 match up afterall and she's pretty much an I-Win button. Ryuk has no factor though as pointed out.

Short of that, I think finding out Conan's real name would be by far the hardest thing Light would have had to do, as no one would ever logically think to look for an adult's name for Conan unless you were pretty close to him. Even then, its one of his biggest secrets. He never even tells his girlfriend (iirc) who he was planning on marrying? (Its been so freaking long lol)

#27 Posted by RogueShadow (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: @fallschirmjager: I assumed that the idea was the whole plot was pretty much identical, save for how Conan's presence and L's absence would change it. Misa would still show up. Was that wrong?

#28 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16285 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: @fallschirmjager: I assumed that the idea was the whole plot was pretty much identical, save for how Conan's presence and L's absence would change it. Misa would still show up. Was that wrong?

Its a fine idea, but in this scenario you're basically making Light the protagonist of the "show" and therefore he would have advantages like someone like Misa. That doesn't seem like a neutral fight to me. /shrug

#29 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

No bc the outcome wouldn't necessarily be the same. Misa's presence might not achieve anything in this scenario just like it didn't when Near took over the investigation. Conan is quite shrewd and has a more "hands on" approach than L did which could be either good or bad depending on how you look at it.

#30 Posted by RogueShadow (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

@carter_esque: No what I meant was that the entire world is the same, aside from Conan's influence on it, so Misa will still show up eventually since that wasn't caused by preceding events, in my opinion he would lose immediately after that.

#31 Posted by The Stegman (23779 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah...I don't know who Conan is.