• 179 results
#1 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Powers and abilities Despero is a powerful villain. The Flame of Py'tar gave Despero great physical strength that has been shown in one storyline to be superior to Superman and Captain Marvel, being able to simultaneously defeat both, along with Wonder Woman and Power Girl. Despero also has a high level of durability, although he is not invulnerable. Also very intelligent, he is skilled as both a warrior and tyrant. His hypnotic third eye is directly connected to his brain, giving him telepathic powers that on one occasion have been depicted as surpassing those of the Martian Manhunter. It is also capable of projecting realistic illusions and entrancing virtually any sentient being. It can also project beams of telekinetic energy enabling the teleportation of matter anywhere in the universe. In his "spirit" form, Despero can possess any living being, granting the victim the strength and telepathic abilities of his own body. In his first appearance, Despero used a teleportation machine which resembled a chess set. It used pieces shaped like the Leaguers to move them to different locations. The machine was subsequently shown to be in the possession of the Weapon Master.

vs

Powers and abilities Thanos possesses a wide range of abilities, some of which are common to the Titanian Eternals, and others that have been acquired through bionic amplification, mysticism, and augmentation by Death itself. In addition to vast levels of superhuman strength, stamina, and durability, Thanos is capable of energy and matter manipulation, teleportation, and telepathy. Even though Thanos typically prefers to avoid physical confrontation, preferring to outwit his enemies, he is a formidable combatant. He is particularly adept in using a combination of his physical and energy-manipulating abilities in these situations. Thanos can also temporarily increase his powers by absorbing energy from an unknown source of quasi-mystical nature. Thanos possesses a superhuman intellect that is almost obsessively dedicated to the annihilation of life and the mastery of any technology or mysticism that will enable him to achieve this goal. Thanos is a superb tactician and is well-versed in many areas of arcane lore. He possesses technology that allows him to time-travel and travel through alternate dimensions, and teleport over vast distances. Thanos also trained his adopted daughter Gamora to become one of the universe's most adept and feared female assassins.

Random encounter, no prep for either of them!
Post Edited:2008-01-22 13:29:23
Post Edited:2008-01-22 13:31:24

#2 Posted by White Phantom (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Close fight, but I think Thanos.

#3 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos.

#4 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Im gonna say Despero because of his telepathyc powers.

zzzzzzzzzz

#5 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Close one... but due to the power cosmic, I'd have to say Thanos.

#6 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Close one... but due to the power cosmic, I'd have to say Thanos."

Yeah, it is a close one, and normally with thanos it generally goes one way, his way! But despero is a beast who the the whole JLA (incl superman, wonderwoman and MM)and then some, couldn't stop and got pummelled! in a random encounter, I think he'd have the best chance of taking down thanos in a random encounter only, but still, thanos is a beast even without prep, it's just the best time for the other oponent for a chance to take him down when there's no prep involved, and I think it could go either way when you have someone who's stronger than superman, capt marvel and Martian Manhunter and even stronger then MM in telepathy! that is an awsome bag of tricks up your sleave when your taking someone on like Thanos! but it aint gonna be easy, and could go either way in the end!

#7 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

ps, I only just noticed in the picture I posted he's holding someone's face/head all shredded up! kinda reminds me of surfer if not for the big round black eye! Wow, guess he's making a statement that he's not to be messed with!

#8 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah well in terms of the pictures Thanos wins. Despero's picture looks poor against Thanos's one. Still i'd give Depsero the win, for reasons the last person who posted gave.

zzzzzzzzzzz

#9 Posted by ulitmateninjagaidenx (2064 posts) - - Show Bio

thanos

#10 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

ulitmateninjagaidenx says:

"thanos "

Why?

#11 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Unbelonger says:

"Yeah well in terms of the pictures Thanos wins. Despero's picture looks poor against Thanos's one. Still i'd give Depsero the win, for reasons the last person who posted gave. zzzzzzzzzzz "

No probs, it's a good thing we don't go by pictures alone, cause that's the only one i had of Despero! how bout these ones:

vs

#12 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos would beat Despero but it would be a good fight

#13 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Im seriously tired of Thanos, and im not saying I hate him or dislike him, is just that he seems to be set to always win in this forums; Hoewver, this one thread has come as an actuall fight he could and as i believe lose.

PS: I would like to se Darkseid beat Thanos.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#14 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Unbelonger says:

"Im seriously tired of Thanos, and im not saying I hate him or dislike him, is just that he seems to be set to always win in this forums; Hoewver, this one thread has come as an actuall fight he could and as i believe lose. PS: I would like to se Darkseid beat Thanos. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

So would I! but I don't think it would happen these days! Darkseid's been relegated to a villain that most in the DCU have no probs with him! maybe final crises will change that, from what i've been hearing! maybe, hopefully!

#15 Posted by mantoid (2305 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos, completely!

#16 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#17 Posted by lordraiden (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say completely, in a random encounter! chances are thanos might still come out on top, but it wouln't be unscathed!

#18 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote Despero but my mind can be changed

#19 Posted by Ziro (1352 posts) - - Show Bio
@vuviper said:
"I vote Despero but my mind can be changed "
#20 Posted by GamorasBigDaddy (2818 posts) - - Show Bio

Only V&V despero could go up against Thanos & he still also loses... 

Thanos wins.. 

GBD
#21 Posted by sexy beast (352 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos has more impressive feats.Thanos FTW.

#22 Posted by Klandicar (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

Another present for Lady Death from the Mad Titan.

#23 Posted by Jx4gChamp (261 posts) - - Show Bio

Without prep or weapons, Thanos goes down like a sac of bricks

#24 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jx4gChamp: Yeah not seeing a lot of advantages for Thanos.
#25 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio
@vuviper:  I agree. His energy output is the only major advantage I can see for Thanos. Despero is certainly stronger and more durable than the Titan. His psychic powers surpass those of Thanos and I would argue he is the better fighter.
#26 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacyde said:
" @vuviper:  I agree. His energy output is the only major advantage I can see for Thanos. Despero is certainly stronger and more durable than the Titan. His psychic powers surpass those of Thanos and I would argue he is the better fighter. "
Not to mention his speed and flight advantage....wait can thanos fly?
#27 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio
@vuviper:
No Thanos can't fly last time I checked.
#28 Posted by blackmanlove (255 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos    
#29 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

No gauntlet and Despero at his maximum powers without prep time for any? I vote Despero

#30 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio
@blackmanlove said:
" Thanos     "
would you like to make an argument for why? 
Despero
#31 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos.
Despero can't destroy galaxies. And he shouldn't be able to defeat  Thanos by TP. This could be a long fight, but I belive that will be last man standing at the end.

#32 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
" Thanos. Despero can't destroy galaxies. And he shouldn't be able to defeat  Thanos by TP. This could be a long fight, but I belive that will be last man standing at the end. "
Thanos can't destroy galaxies either.
#33 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" Thanos. Despero can't destroy galaxies. And he shouldn't be able to defeat  Thanos by TP. This could be a long fight, but I belive that will be last man standing at the end. "
Thanos can't destroy galaxies either. "
I know,but he can take shots from beings who can. The point is that Despero won't be able to destroy Thanos,but I think that Thanos will be able to defeat Despero after long fight.
#34 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
I know,but he can take shots from beings who can. The point is that Despero won't be able to destroy Thanos,but I think that Thanos will be able to defeat Despero after long fight. "
Odin can't destroy galaxies either. He hasn't done it in thirty years, and when he did it thirty years ago, it was bad writing.
#35 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
I know,but he can take shots from beings who can. The point is that Despero won't be able to destroy Thanos,but I think that Thanos will be able to defeat Despero after long fight. "
Odin can't destroy galaxies either. He hasn't done it in thirty years, and when he did it thirty years ago, it was bad writing. "
Odin can do that. He did that against Infinity.  How can You argue with facts? Surtur destroyed galxay too and he isn't more powerfull than Odin. When Odin fought against Seth it was said that they can destroy multiple galaxies with their powers.
#36 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @czarny_samael said:
Odin can't destroy galaxies either. He hasn't done it in thirty years, and when he did it thirty years ago, it was bad writing. "
Odin can do that. He did that against Infinity.  How can You argue with facts? Surtur destroyed galxay too and he isn't more powerfull than Odin. When Odin fought against Seth it was said that they can destroy multiple galaxies with their powers. "
Bad writing. He did it at times when beings far more powerful than Odin couldn't accomplish the feat.

A single Celestial is hundreds if not thousands of times more powerful than Odin, and it took Exitar hundreds of years of gathering energy just to terraform one planet.  And when Thanos took the infinity gauntlet, they threw planets at him, why would they do that if they could shoot him with galaxy busting blasts?

Even an enraged Galactus failed to destroy more than three star systems. The annihilation wave extended far beyond that, why didn't he destroy all of it if he could have? (and don't give him being depowered either, he absorbed all the power cosmic stored in Annihilus' ship when he was freed).

Not to mention the fact Odin force Thor and Bor fighting barely scratched our own planet. And I'm supposed to believe these guys can destroy galaxies?
#37 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" Bad writing. He did it at times when beings far more powerful than Odin couldn't accomplish the feat.   A single Celestial is hundreds if not thousands of times more powerful than Odin, and it took Exitar hundreds of years of gathering energy just to terraform one planet.  And when Thanos took the infinity gauntlet, they threw planets at him, why would they do that if they could shoot him with galaxy busting blasts? Even an enraged Galactus failed to destroy more than three star systems. The annihilation wave extended far beyond that, why didn't he destroy all of it if he could have? (and don't give him being depowered either, he absorbed all the power cosmic stored in Annihilus' ship when he was freed).  Not to mention the fact Odin force Thor and Bor fighting barely scratched our own planet. And I'm supposed to believe these guys can destroy galaxies? "
Yeah,because they did that. You can't argue with facts. You just can't.
Single Celestial is often compare too Galactus. Celstial who couldn't destroy a planet is a bad writing.
This was dying Galactus. He admit it. If he couldn't do that in full power - bad writing 
Galctus > Elder God/Celestial > Skyfather = Galaxy Buster. 
#38 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
" Yeah,because they did that. You can't argue with facts. You just can't. Single Celestial is often compare too Galactus. Celstial who couldn't destroy a planet is a bad writing. This was dying Galactus. He admit it. If he couldn't do that in full power - bad writing  Galctus > Elder God/Celestial > Skyfather = Galaxy Buster.  "
Of course I can argue the facts. Just like I argue that Spiderman could not defeat Firelord, or that Catman could not have just jammed syringes into Captain Nazi's eyes, or that Zoom cannot travel through time even though he did. 

Fact is writers those days just threw feats around, without actually thinking how big or small they are (I.E. Surtur claiming he can destroy a thousand suns, and that this is enough to destroy a galaxy, even though galaxies consist of billions of stars). This is one of the reasons why DC had the Crisis on infinite Earths, and why some people on the vine are annoyed when someone shows them a scan of Hulk or Thor doing something thirty years ago and then saying he can do the same thing today, even though they were consistently shown to be on a lower level for the last ten years.

Galactus's health is directly tied into his power level. When he was tied into Annihilus' machine he absorbed several planets, whose energy was stored on Annihilus' ship. When he frees himself, he absorbs all the energy from the ship. He's not malnourished or dying in the scan. He was dying in BRB: godhunter, for different reasons.
#39 Edited by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

" @czarny_samael said:

" Yeah,because they did that. You can't argue with facts. You just can't. Single Celestial is often compare too Galactus. Celstial who couldn't destroy a planet is a bad writing. This was dying Galactus. He admit it. If he couldn't do that in full power - bad writing  Galctus > Elder God/Celestial > Skyfather = Galaxy Buster.  "

Of course I can argue the facts. Just like I argue that Spiderman could not defeat Firelord, or that Catman could not have just jammed syringes into Captain Nazi's eyes, or that Zoom cannot travel through time even though he did.   Fact is writers those days just threw feats around, without actually thinking how big or small they are (I.E. Surtur claiming he can destroy a thousand suns, and that this is enough to destroy a galaxy, even though galaxies consist of billions of stars). This is one of the reasons why DC had the Crisis on infinite Earths, and why some people on the vine are annoyed when someone shows them a scan of Hulk or Thor doing something thirty years ago and then saying he can do the same thing today, even though they were consistently shown to be on a lower level for the last ten years.  Galactus's health is directly tied into his power level. When he was tied into Annihilus' machine he absorbed several planets, whose energy was stored on Annihilus' ship. When he frees himself, he absorbs all the energy from the ship. He's not malnourished or dying in the scan. He was dying in BRB: godhunter, for different reasons. "
Spider-Man defeating Firelord is PIS. But if Spider-Man got an upgrade with what he will destroy a planet and then he will fight against FL and win it won't be PIS.
Bad writing is when writers give us a comic in what someone who can only destroy a planet defeat someone who can take galaxy busting shot. Or when someone who is as fast as light is defeating by guy who have only superhuman refelex. But if someone show big ability/power with what we can't debate it isn't a bad writing. It is a feat which can bring this guy to higher level. Fact is fact. 
Maybe guy like Surtur didin't know his own power? Sentry said that he has power of milions exploding suns, but did he proved that? No, Surtur prove that  he has. Odin, Infinity (which means that 50% power of Odin is enough to destroy a galaxy) and Seth prove it too. 
If we will deny facts, we won't be able to compare anyone with anyone. It was said that Elder Gods > Skyfathers. It was said that Zeus = Odin = Vishnu = any other Skyfather. Odin and his archenemy destroyed a galaxy. Odin was giving everything what he can to defeat Thanos (Odin was defending Asgard and he was ready to destroy part of it to defeat Thanos) . Thanos survived Galan's (and Omega's) shot,he survived fight with d-Tyrant (and take what he want from him), he survived supernova (without being hurt),he survived shots from SS (without being hurt) etc.
What all of this means for me?
It means that:
1. Anyone who is above Skyfathers can destroy a galaxy easily (like Elder Gods).
2. All people who are equal to Odin can destroy a galaxy and take shots which can destroy a galaxy.
3.Thanos take shots from very powerfull beings. He fought against very powerfull beings and even when he was much less powerfull they've still had problems with KO him. This is a big durability feat. Too big for someone like Despero.
#40 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin was giving everything what he can to defeat Thanos (Odin was defending Asgard and he was ready to destroye part of it to defeat Thanos) . Thanos survived Galan's (and Omega's) shot,he survived fight with d-Tyrant (and take what he want from him)

Fight with Odin - Thanos was amped, and couldn't scratch Odin. Bad feat, considering not only did Odin not give his all, but Thanos wasn't even fighting under his own power
Shot from Galactus - left hi begging for his life
Shot from Omega - put Thanos on the ground
Fight with Tyrant - amped by the item Thanos had to cause a distraction to steal, because he couldn't fight Tyrant under his own power. 

Fail argument is fail.
#41 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:
"

Odin was giving everything what he can to defeat Thanos (Odin was defending Asgard and he was ready to destroye part of it to defeat Thanos) . Thanos survived Galan's (and Omega's) shot,he survived fight with d-Tyrant (and take what he want from him)

Fight with Odin - Thanos was amped, and couldn't scratch Odin. Bad feat, considering not only did Odin not give his all, but Thanos wasn't even fighting under his own power Shot from Galactus - left hi begging for his life Shot from Omega - put Thanos on the ground Fight with Tyrant - amped by the item Thanos had to cause a distraction to steal, because he couldn't fight Tyrant under his own power.   Fail argument is fail. "
1.I didn't say that those fights were a feat of power or strentgth. I said that they were a feats of durability.
2.He wasn't KO'ed after shot from Omega:

3. I've read a comic in what Thanos fought Odin and I din't saw anything what amped Thanos.  Odin did everything from him. He was using many ways to defeat Thanos. Even his spear - Gungir. He was ready to lose part of his kingdom to kill Thanos. And he didn't reach his goal. Thanos was still on his legs after fight:

4.Thanos isn't in Tyrant level, but he give him a good fight and survived it. I know that he had Tyrant's orb, but I belive that orb give him only offensive power not up'grade his defensive:

#42 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael: 

1. But they aren't.... he was nearly killed by Omega and Galactus, and he was amped against Odin and Tyrant

2. Did I say KO'ed? I said on the ground. In fact, it looks like some fairly severe damage

3. Then you didn't read the books preceding the fight with Odin. He was however, amped.

4. I'm sure you do. But his durability isn't enough to stand up to Tyrant at his base levels. If Gamora can make him bleed at base levels, then so can Tyrant. 

http://img205.imageshack.us/i/tyrant304ipxh2.jpg/
 http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2791/thanostyrant7fo5.jpg
  http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1661/tyrant32330wset5.jpg 

^ The rest of the fight, so your scan is put in to context. He did no damage to Tyrant, and even amped, couldn't match his strength. He stole a power item and used it to increase his abilities. The fight becomes less impressive when you know the whole story.
#43 Edited by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:
1.Of course he was nearly killed by them. He is not abstract,Elder god, planet eater or even a Skyfather. He don't have a chance against them.
2.Maybe I take it wrong, sorry. But as I said before: Thanos isn't in the same league in which people like Odin,Surtur,Omega and couple others are. He don't have a chance against them. But still, taking even one shot  from Omega  who was fighting for his life is a feat of durability. Durability and nothing more.
3. If You can prove it I will be glad (scan or number of W & IW when he took this upgrade for this battle)
4.You missunderstood me. I didn't say that Thanos is in Tyrant level. I din't even say that he win or stalemate with him. I know that Tyrant is a higher being. I want only show You in that scan that Thanos didn't use the orb as a shield or any other form of defensive. And it is not out of context because your scans didn't prove that he use it as a shield.
#44 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael: I know those people he fought have the power to destroy galaxies or whatever, but how strong are they physically...just wondering, I'm also waiting to see the result of the amping thing
#45 Posted by Klandicar (2471 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:
1.Of course he was nearly killed by them. He is not abstract,Elder god, planet eater or even a Skyfather. He don't have a chance against them.
2.Maybe I take it wrong, sorry. But as I said before: Thanos isn't in the same league in which people like Odin,Surtur,Omega and couple others are. He don't have a chance against them. But still, taking even one shot  from Omega  who was fighting for his life is a feat of durability. Durability and nothing more.
3. If You can prove it I will be glad (scan or number of W & IW when he took this upgrade for this battle)
4.You missunderstood me. I didn't say that Thanos is in Tyrant level. I din't even say that he win or stalemate with him. I know that Tyrant is a higher being. I want only show You in that scan that Thanos didn't use the orb as a shield or any other form of defensive. And it is not out of context because your scans didn't prove that he use it as a shield. "
Well, I'll officially declare Thanos the winner of this thread.  You put out the raw facts about Thanos's power/durability and the Thanos haters as usual tried to chop those facts down solely with opinions.  Good work my friend.
#46 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes...you go over int he corner and "officially" declare the winner of the thread. We'll continue a debate that has been much more intelligent with lack of posts by you.

#47 Edited by Klandicar (2471 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacyde said:

" Yes...you go over int he corner and "officially" declare the winner of the thread. We'll continue a debate that has been much more intelligent with lack of posts by you. "

Your debates always degenerate into opposing Thanos's feats, it is becoming a stale routine.  You oppose those CANON feats with simple opinions...come on man, get some meat to your argument.
#48 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@czarny_samael said:
"Spider-Man defeating Firelord is PIS. But if Spider-Man got an upgrade with what he will destroy a planet and then he will fight against FL and win it won't be PIS.Bad writing is when writers give us a comic in what someone who can only destroy a planet defeat someone who can take galaxy busting shot. Or when someone who is as fast as light is defeating by guy who have only superhuman refelex. But if someone show big ability/power with what we can't debate it isn't a bad writing. It is a feat which can bring this guy to higher level. Fact is fact.  Maybe guy like Surtur didin't know his own power? Sentry said that he has power of milions exploding suns, but did he proved that? No, Surtur prove that  he has. Odin, Infinity (which means that 50% power of Odin is enough to destroy a galaxy) and Seth prove it too.  If we will deny facts, we won't be able to compare anyone with anyone. It was said that Elder Gods > Skyfathers. It was said that Zeus = Odin = Vishnu = any other Skyfather. Odin and his archenemy destroyed a galaxy. Odin was giving everything what he can to defeat Thanos (Odin was defending Asgard and he was ready to destroy part of it to defeat Thanos) . Thanos survived Galan's (and Omega's) shot,he survived fight with d-Tyrant (and take what he want from him), he survived supernova (without being hurt),he survived shots from SS (without being hurt) etc. What all of this means for me? It means that: 1. Anyone who is above Skyfathers can destroy a galaxy easily (like Elder Gods). 2. All people who are equal to Odin can destroy a galaxy and take shots which can destroy a galaxy. 3.Thanos take shots from very powerfull beings. He fought against very powerfull beings and even when he was much less powerfull they've still had problems with KO him. This is a big durability feat. Too big for someone like Despero. "
1. We can ignore it if it is in contradiction with how the character was portrayed before or since. Odin didn't display any galaxy wiping power since his scuffle with Seth, and has not been portrayed like he could do something like that since. Neither has any other skyfather.

2. Odin didn't give everything he had to barely take Thanos down. Odin was wasting him. Thanos at one point threw a blast in his face and Odin didn't blink. It's not like he was throwing galaxy busting shots at Thanos anyway. 

I don't care if Thanos wins or Despero. I'm just here to say Thanos doesn't bust galaxies. Not by a long shot.
#49 Edited by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio
@Klandicar:
I'm sorry your opinion doesn't matter.
#50 Posted by vuviper (5531 posts) - - Show Bio
@Klandicar: and how would you proposed Thanos would beat Despero