Avatar image for kalthehokage_2007
KalTheHokage_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KalTheHokage_2007

Batman is an expert tactician, so it goes without saying, he's probably ridiculously good at chess. So who could beat Batman at chess? And why? this is a game of pure intellect. They must be human, so someone like Brainiac cannot be used.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nickzambuto

I think Joker could honestly. He pwnd Ra's al Ghul quite handily, and he's pulled one over on the Dark Knight in the past.

Tony Stark also has a shot, not a definate win but they'd surely go at it. Reed not so much, he's tech smart but not a tactician.

Deathstroke as well might very well win.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

Dr. Doom, Xavier, Beast, Bane, Ra's?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nickzambuto

@Joygirl said:

Xavier? C'mooon! Mind reading ain't fair.

And Bane and Ra's?

KalTheHokage_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KalTheHokage_2007

I thought that was implied with the "human-only" rule, but I guess I must say it. NO TELEPATHY! This is a straight chess match, no mind-reading or psionic interference. This is based purely on someone's intellect, not their metahuman abilities. This is why I said they must be human, because, you let those with powers in, the game is over because of people like Brainiac and the omniscient beings. So please, HUMAN ONLY! People like Deathstroke are fine because, while they are enhanced, they have peak, not superhuman, processing power.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 80sBaby

Reed could do it as he's actually very good as a tactician (there's a reason he leads the FF.) Doom and Luthor, while incredibly smart also suffer from extreme hubris, which will lead to them overlooking something Bruce does as inconsequential, thus costing them the game. Captain America would also be a good challenge for Bruce.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shawnbaby

Tony Stark

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nickzambuto

@KalTheHokage_2007 said:

I thought that was implied with the "human-only" rule, but I guess I must say it. NO TELEPATHY! This is a straight chess match, no mind-reading or psionic interference. This is based purely on someone's intellect, not their metahuman abilities. This is why I said they must be human, because, you let those with powers in, the game is over because of people like Brainiac and the omniscient beings. So please, HUMAN ONLY! People like Deathstroke are fine because, while they are enhanced, they have peak, not superhuman, processing power.

I like to think of DS as meta-human in terms of smarts. He uses 90% of his brain, so technically any joe shmoe can be as good as he is, but unlocking that extra 80% is something not easily accomplished.

@80sBaby said:

Reed could do it as he's actually very good as a tactician (there's a reason he leads the FF.) Doom and Luthor, while incredibly smart also suffer from extreme hubris, which will lead to them overlooking something Bruce does as inconsequential, thus costing them the game. Captain America would also be a good challenge for Bruce.

Reed once 3 games of chess with Iron Man at once, while Iron Man was only half paying attention due to talking into his suit the whole time. They each won one game with the final being a tie. If Iron Man was paying attention that would be different, hence why I said Stark is more of a match for Batman in chess.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By progenitorigin

Albert Wesker.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

Xavier loves chess and plays it constantly. -_- It has nothing to do with his telepathy. Also, last I heard, Ra's let Joker win (could be wrong, never read it), and Bane beat Ra's in a fair match. And Reed doesn't count since his intellect is enhanced with his powers.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 80sBaby

@nickzambuto: I don't recall that but I believe you. I do recall Reed playing this super-genius woman (forget her name) in a game of chess but it was 3-tiered, IIRC. He, too was half-paying attention yet beat her pretty badly. Tony would be a great match, in that case as would Reed. I'd add Deathstroke but I think Bruce just edges him out here.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nickzambuto

@80sBaby said:

@nickzambuto: I don't recall that but I believe you. I do recall Reed playing this super-genius woman (forget her name) in a game of chess but it was 3-tiered, IIRC. He, too was half-paying attention yet beat her pretty badly. Tony would be a great match, in that case as would Reed. I'd add Deathstroke but I think Bruce just edges him out here.

Isn't DS officially stated by DC as the greatest tactician on the DC Earth? I know he (almost) beat the JLA with a plan he came up with in like, 5 minutes.

I'm sure you know the fight.

Avatar image for greenflashlight
Greenflashlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Greenflashlight

OK first I agree the Joker could do it and the idea of reading a book of Joker and Batman playing chess but Joker would cheat but what about Alfred I think he could do it and also I am thinking Lex Luthor

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Ra's, Joker and Xavier all have a good shot I think.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Picard

@KalTheHokage_2007 said:

Batman is an expert tactician, so it goes without saying, he's probably ridiculously good at chess. So who could beat Batman at chess? And why? this is a game of pure intellect. They must be human, so someone like Brainiac cannot be used.

Data from Star Trek thanks to his positronic brain, Lex Luthor have also good chances of doing that - at least version from Superman: Red Son when he was playing fourteen games of chess at once, while reading Machiavelli's Prince and teaching himself Urdu on a tape recorder he designed that morning all while on his coffee break. :)

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nickzambuto

@Greenflashlight said:

OK first I agree the Joker could do it and the idea of reading a book of Joker and Batman playing chess but Joker would cheat but what about Alfred I think he could do it and also I am thinking Lex Luthor

Alfred? As in... Batman's butler?

Yeah, an actual issue of Joker VS Batman in chess would be epic beyond words. Joker might cheat, but there's just as good a chance he wouldn't considering who he is. And I always liked to think that if you're smart enough not to get caught you deserve the right to cheat.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 80sBaby

@nickzambuto: He's not listed as "the greatest" as far as I know but is is a superb one. Yeah, I own ID Crisis but the fight isn't the best example due to the amount of CIS involved, especially by Kyle, which you posted. Not sure how much prp he had there since it wasn't specified.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nickzambuto

@80sBaby said:

@nickzambuto: He's not listed as "the greatest" as far as I know but is is a superb one. Yeah, I own ID Crisis but the fight isn't the best example due to the amount of CIS involved, especially by Kyle, which you posted. Not sure how much prp he had there since it wasn't specified.

I don't remember it much, but if I recall the JLA were trying to find... someone, who was kidnapped by... someone, who hired DS to take the JLA down barely a few hours before they showed up.

But yeah it was a tad CIS.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Strider1992

Midnighter probably could, as he's see's every move before it happens.

KalTheHokage_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#21  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

Mr.Terrific (Michael Holt). He is the 3rd smartest man in the DCU, and a avid chessplayer. He beats Bruce for sure.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 80sBaby

@nickzambuto: The JLA were looking for Dr. Light, who knew they were coming and so hired DS. Because of his past crimes, Light had a pretty good idea which League members would be gunning for him so Slade probably had good intel on them beforehand. But Kyle trying to PUNCH 'Stoke? Really??

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chaos Prime
Avatar image for greenflashlight
Greenflashlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Greenflashlight

yeah why not who else knows Batman better they could play it on batfamily night

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

Mr.Terrific (Michael Holt). He is the 3rd smartest man in the DCU, and a avid chessplayer. He beats Bruce for sure.

NEEK_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NEEK_03

magneto, doom, slade, stark, reed would all be good choices. however i feel batman may be the best tactition

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

Mr.Terrific (Michael Holt). He is the 3rd smartest man in the DCU, and a avid chessplayer. He beats Bruce for sure. Sorry, this is all it takes, he's like Neo (THE ONE).

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By Strider1992

The lead guy in Dune could probably win. He did pretty much conquer the entire known galaxy with his tactics.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29  Edited By Jekylhyde14

The Wizard from the old MLJ/Archie superhero comics would stand a pretty good chance. He honed his mind until he became a super-genius and master tactician (he technically had superpowers thanks to his superior brain, but he was also completely human without any mutations or radioactive/chemical enhancements to speak of so I guess you can make a judgment call here).

Doc Savage could also give Bats a run for his money at chess. The good doctor followed a strict academic program consisting of every subject known to man thanks to his father. Savage was a brilliant strategist who often had to come up with complex solutions with limited amounts of time.

Sydneytuah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sydneytuah

Magneto 
Tony stark 
Sheldon Cooper

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

Slade, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Ra's, Joker and Xavier all have a good shot I think.

grimlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By grimlock

deathstroke or doom

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VictorGrey

Deathstroke

izbighulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By izbighulk

Dr. Bruce Banner he isa genius and batman better not win or banner turns into hulk

DrEgonSpengler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DrEgonSpengler

Detective Chimp, The Question, and Mr Terrific.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By greeneagle

@Joygirl: Technically no, his powers don't augment his intellect

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By greeneagle

@cosmicallyaware1 said:

He comes close but he'll have a hard time doing so.

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DedmanWalkin

The Joker is the best tactician in DC. He can do far more with much less without any prep. Deathstroke doesn't have crap on the Joker when it comes to strategy and tactics.

The Joker wouldn't be able to beat Bats in a chess match though. His CIS would get in the way. He would link every one of his pieces to an explosive vest that he has on a different person hidden somewhere in Gotham. He would purposely put his pieces in danger so that Batman had to choose between someone's life and winning the game. Batman would then get the better of him. Take away his CIS and the Joker could probably take him.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daak1212

Leonardo Da Vinci (Marvel) Issac Newton (Marvel) Michael Angelo (Marvel) Actually pretty much the main cast from the S.H.I.E.L.D besides Leonid

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jeanroygrant

@nickzambuto said:

@Joygirl said:

Xavier? C'mooon! Mind reading ain't fair.

And Bane and Ra's?

Lol

Dflash29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dflash29

flash? and Alfred Pennyworth

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Nerx

@KalTheHokage_2007: Tao from wildstorm

Bruce will swallow his chess pieces
Bruce will swallow his chess pieces
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92
deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I can't believe no one has said Nick Fury!

TheGodKiller3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheGodKiller3

If a real life human is allowed , then Viswanathan Anand .

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nickzambuto

@80sBaby said:

@nickzambuto: The JLA were looking for Dr. Light, who knew they were coming and so hired DS. Because of his past crimes, Light had a pretty good idea which League members would be gunning for him so Slade probably had good intel on them beforehand. But Kyle trying to PUNCH 'Stoke? Really??

Well... he was very inexperienced at the time, he was still very new to the hero biz, not to mention he just saw his entire team get pwned by a single dude (a human for that matter... kinda) so he was pretty nervous. The punch was just a reflex. What pisses ME off is that DS just kinda forgot about Green Arrow, allowing him to attack him. Like, that makes no sense.

Another thing, so far two people have said Alfred. wtf?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nickzambuto

@DedmanWalkin said:

The Joker is the best tactician in DC. He can do far more with much less without any prep. Deathstroke doesn't have crap on the Joker when it comes to strategy and tactics.

The Joker wouldn't be able to beat Bats in a chess match though. His CIS would get in the way. He would link every one of his pieces to an explosive vest that he has on a different person hidden somewhere in Gotham. He would purposely put his pieces in danger so that Batman had to choose between someone's life and winning the game. Batman would then get the better of him. Take away his CIS and the Joker could probably take him.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=CIS

Joker is a transgender?

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DedmanWalkin

That is a distinct possibility down the road but I meant the Vine's definition of Character Induced Stupidity, which you seem to be suffering from. :)

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 80sBaby

@nickzambuto: Well, Kyle wasn't really new, though. This took place well after the Morrison JLA run. Also, if he was nervous because his team got picked apart, that's even less reason to go HtH. As far as Alfred, he's actually a very intelligent person (remember, he used to be a spy or something.) He beat Damien at chess and Damien figured out how to make the Batmobile fly when Bruce couldn't so there's that.