HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HigorM  Moderator

Welcome Viners!

So this idea came up after some time spent on Battle forums trying to improve myself every time I can, but sometimes we just don´t get enough feedback about our debating skills, so this is the place where you especifically ask for a rating so you can learn from fellow learned/experienced viners.

This rating is about a true sight over your time as battle forum debator where the person who will willingly rate you emits his opinion pointing out your strong side as well as and most important the areas you should improve.

I hope this idea comes true and actually helps people around here.

But Remember: We´re supposed to take these advices as a positive criticism which will make us better in the future!

PS: If you have any ideas that may further enhance this one feel free to post..

> When asking for a rating, be sure to provide links for your past debates ok?

Members waiting to be rated:

@the_red_viper / @joewell

*If there is anyone who should be on this list just let me know!*

"Official Raters"

We have five viners (four of them being HoF debaters) who agreed to help for free and spontaneous will, sharing their knowledge in order to give useful advice and tips to assist fellow viners on their quest for self improvement.

@higorm, @thetruebarryallen, @cosmicallyaware1, ,@lukehero, @thenewbluebeetle007

Wanna be an official rater? Shoot me a PM!

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Interesting thread!

I still consider myself rather new to the forums ( only been here for a couple of months ) and would love some feedback on my debate style & how I could improve!

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Bush jr and Obama have a better approval rating than me lol jk and great topic, though I think this might be in the wrong section

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4  Edited By DecoyElite

Uh, there's already the Rate the Debater thread...

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

These threads tend to end in tears and lockings.

Just saying.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HigorM  Moderator

@guardian_of_gravity: @decoyelite: @cgoodness:

Actually, I´ve carefully checked beforehand with the mods, and @vance_astro thought this would be a good idea considering that the old rate the debaters thread was long forgotten and does not live up to the purpose I´ve presented here. This new thread it´s supposed to actually help people improve their game rather than just name the users..

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DecoyElite

@higorm: Oh, alright cool then. :)

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@higorm: Good to see you checked with the mods! I think a post like this will be useful to everyone :)

So as it stands, would anyone like to inform me of things I could improve on or things that I do decently? I'm open for all criticisms as I only want to get better :)

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HigorM  Moderator
nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is new. I saw the thread stickied and was thinking "how long has that been there?"

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: You just suck lol.

@thetruebarryallen: Your pretty good at what you know, you seem to be convincing on what your debating for.

@nighthunder: You pretty good. You make logical counters and bring up possibilities of a win.

@higorm: Nice.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How good am i ?

Having ONLY read our own debate and not seen any of your other matches, I think there's room for improvement. Proper grammar and spelling first of all, goes a long way towards people taking you more seriously. Your posts should always be neat and organized, and of course easy to read. @higorm and @veshark both definitely have some of the better formatting I've seen on the site. You also seemed to give up too easily; in our Raiden vs Itachi debate, you still said Itachi would win, but you didn't really explain why. Most of your post towards the end of our debate was just you conceding that I had the advantage in whatever category, but Itachi still wins regardless. It's good that you can admit when your character is outmatched in a specific category, but you need to explain WHY your character would still win.

You haven't even breached the thousand post mark yet, so there's plenty of time to improve.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HigorM  Moderator

@cadencev2: how about me? (considering the Nice was for the thread :P)

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HigorM  Moderator

@nickzambuto: great breakdown, that´s what I´m talking about! Panther Boss ftw!

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: You just suck lol.

Coming from the guy who thinks Yusuke can take on Freeza, pfff.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a terrible debater. I just flame people out and then rage :/

Funsiized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Funsiized

@nighthunder: you make Logical points and Counters. And it's fun debating with you. But sometimes it seems as if you think your side should win just because its your side.

Funsiized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funsiized

P.S I Tend to Make every one i Debate with Angry and Hate me.

Why?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2: Thanks :)

I try and stay away from topics that involve character's I'm not familiar with. Often times I'll use a character I know nothing about in a tournament in order to give them a test run, doing research on them as the tournament goes on, as a matter of fact I knew nothing of Iron Fist or Bane before I joined the Vine but debates inspired me to learn more about em!

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NighThunder

@funsiized: Because people get frustrated when they can't counter. And you have a effective way to solidly counter almost everything.

@nighthunder: you make Logical points and Counters. And it's fun debating with you. But sometimes it seems as if you think your side should win just because its your side.

Hm.......Okay. TIME TO DEBATE BUILD

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why?

Well, judging by our debate in the Poster tourney (again, only time I've seen you in action) you can work on being a bit more respectful. You acted like your team is unstoppable and my guys are just gonna fall on the ground and cry in the face of your greatness.

Oh, and calcs. Calcs suck... :P

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NighThunder
Funsiized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funsiized said:

Why?

Well, judging by our debate in the Poster tourney (again, only time I've seen you in action) you can work on being a bit more respectful. You acted like your team is unstoppable and my guys are just gonna fall on the ground and cry in the face of your greatness.

Why shouldn't they? i am pretty Awesome :)

But hmm, thank's for the advice. i will try to be less....Oppressive? in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think I still need to establish myself as a good debater, but until then, can anyone suggest something that needs improving?

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: @omgomgwtfwtf: @cadencev2:

of the people in this thread so far, i honestly remember the 3 of you most, and i have to say that you three are really good at what you do(way higher tier than me, but i still consider myself new[like a month-ish kinda i guess] so i don't really expect to be THAT good) and each of you have shown me some very solid points and hard evidence at atleast one point in time, and have each taught me something(s)..

overall you guys are great debaters (at least against me .-. )

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I feel neglected.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hai Gais

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post Terminated by TTBA: 1/2/15

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@nickzambuto said:

@funsiized said:

Why?

I can't believe I'm seeing this.

*hurts itself in confusion*

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Always have a backup plan.

After our incredibly close debate in Jokergeist's Party Tournament I realized it's always best to have a backplan. I'm mostly referring to the fact that you were really dead set on your strategy that involved the New Vegas Strip Security, though I had been contesting that. If you believe 100% that you've debated a fact to death but your opponent still fails to agree, create some sort of failsafe.

So if you believe that every member on the Strip Security will be working on you're side and you feel like you've debated it well enough but your foe just doesn't believe you say " It's up to the judges to decide on this, I feel as if I've proven my point yet you still don't seem to agree and we can agree to disagree. If for some reason that the judges don't agree that this would work then here is another thing my team could do to secure the win 'x' "

Honestly it's a really minor thing but I saw you asked and figured I'd give my two cents. Overall you're a great debater and I started organizing my posts after what I saw of you in Diredrills Big Shoes Tournament. Keep up the good work :)

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DecoyElite
nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was joking btw, seriously from what I've seen from YNCG he's pretty solid debating wise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I would be happy if people would just debate about characters they actually have read before...

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwhisper: I'd agree, or if they do research on he character.

I myself have never read much of Iron Fist or Bane, yet I commonly use them in tournaments because I've done enough research on both the characters to properly use them.

Context is key.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone rate me? I mean i don't think i have ever actually won anything unless my opponent forfieted, so i'd really like some help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Always have a backup plan.

After our incredibly close debate in Jokergeist's Party Tournament I realized it's always best to have a backplan. I'm mostly referring to the fact that you were really dead set on your strategy that involved the New Vegas Strip Security, though I had been contesting that. If you believe 100% that you've debated a fact to death but your opponent still fails to agree, create some sort of failsafe.

So if you believe that every member on the Strip Security will be working on you're side and you feel like you've debated it well enough but your foe just doesn't believe you say " It's up to the judges to decide on this, I feel as if I've proven my point yet you still don't seem to agree and we can agree to disagree. If for some reason that the judges don't agree that this would work then here is another thing my team could do to secure the win 'x' "

Honestly it's a really minor thing but I saw you asked and figured I'd give my two cents. Overall you're a great debater and I started organizing my posts after what I saw of you in Diredrills Big Shoes Tournament. Keep up the good work :)

Yeah, that is true. Having a backup plan is necessary. Thanks for the pointer and compliment!

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jokergeist

Jokergeist's Guide to Proper Debating

Step 1) Have Scans.

Example of a scan
Example of a scan

Often times when you're at a grocery store at the shopping checkout, it gets quite annoying when item scans are missing. The cashier lady says "where's the scans?", and you unresponsively left them at home! So always remember to bring scans wherever you go. It's key to being a great debater.

Step 2) Don't take things personally.

We're currently in a battle zone, I mean we're in a battle forums, and sometimes tempers can rise. If someone rudely insults you during a debate, well you know what they say: "Take the bitter with the sweet!"

...and that translates to "throw bittersweet fruits at your opponent for being rude."

Step 3) Keep a decent tone.

The internet is awful because you don't know the tone of voice in which you're supposed to be reading a post. So make it easy for everyone and hit that Caps Lock button on the left side of your keyboard. THIS WAY YOUR VOICE SEEMS TO BE SPOKEN CLEARLY AND ORALLY APPEALING TO READ. LIKE MARTIN LUTHER KING JUNIOR.

Step 4) Be a good sport.

You can BE any sport in the world! You can choose to be Soccer and kick your opponent to reach your goals. You can choose to be Baseball and whack him with a bat. You can choose to be Boxing and punch him in the face. Regardless of which you choose, always remember to be a good sport.

Step 5) Grammer.

it never herts to make shur you're grammer is top noch beefor you reply to a thred or make a post. Sumtimes its hard to fokus on the poynts sumewon is mayking if you can hardly reed what they've ritten. Though nevr make fun of sumwons grammer in a debate, use it as an oppertunity to teech them, but dont make part of you're deebayt a corekshun of their werds.\

Step 6) Organization.

We're all humans, and we need our internal organs to live. That's why it's important to see a doctor monthly to check up on your organs. Always keep your vital organs in check, which includes your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, and spleen. If any of these fail, you will die. And you cannot debate properly when you're dead. So always remember to be organized.

Sincerely,

No Caption Provided

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

USE SPOILER BLOCKS FOR MASSIVE SCAN DUMPS

Only advice i can give people who load the big images into their threads (like me).

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: I've got to start doing that more often. I feel bad for Dredeuced having to sift through some of my posts in the Final Round of Diredrills tournament XD

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: I've got to start doing that more often. I feel bad for Dredeuced having to sift through some of my posts in the Final Round of Diredrills tournament XD

Yeah, when I started I didn't know how to spoiler tag pics, so my points would be lost in seas of images. Also took forever to load sometimes....lol