#1 Edited by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome Viners!

So this idea came up after some time spent on Battle forums trying to improve myself every time I can, but sometimes we just don´t get enough feedback about our debating skills, so this is the place where you especifically ask for a rating so you can learn from fellow learned/experienced viners.

This rating is about a true sight over your time as battle forum debator where the person who will willingly rate you emits his opinion pointing out your strong side as well as and most important the areas you should improve.

I hope this idea comes true and actually helps people around here.

But Remember: We´re supposed to take these advices as a positive criticism which will make us better in the future!

PS: If you have any ideas that may further enhance this one feel free to post..

Members waiting to be rated:

@strictlyanime

@sync1

@cable_extreme

*If there is anyone who should be on this list just let me know!*

#2 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting thread!

I still consider myself rather new to the forums ( only been here for a couple of months ) and would love some feedback on my debate style & how I could improve!

#3 Posted by Cgoodness (3881 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure Bush jr and Obama have a better approval rating than me lol jk and great topic, though I think this might be in the wrong section

#4 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, there's already the Rate the Debater thread...

#5 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

These threads tend to end in tears and lockings.

Just saying.

#7 Edited by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: @decoyelite: @cgoodness:

Actually, I´ve carefully checked beforehand with the mods, and @vance_astro thought this would be a good idea considering that the old rate the debaters thread was long forgotten and does not live up to the purpose I´ve presented here. This new thread it´s supposed to actually help people improve their game rather than just name the users..

#8 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@higorm: Oh, alright cool then. :)

#9 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@higorm: Good to see you checked with the mods! I think a post like this will be useful to everyone :)

So as it stands, would anyone like to inform me of things I could improve on or things that I do decently? I'm open for all criticisms as I only want to get better :)

#10 Posted by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by nickzambuto (12903 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this is new. I saw the thread stickied and was thinking "how long has that been there?"

#12 Edited by NighThunder (2842 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: You just suck lol.

@thetruebarryallen: Your pretty good at what you know, you seem to be convincing on what your debating for.

@nighthunder: You pretty good. You make logical counters and bring up possibilities of a win.

@higorm: Nice.

#14 Posted by nickzambuto (12903 posts) - - Show Bio

How good am i ?

Having ONLY read our own debate and not seen any of your other matches, I think there's room for improvement. Proper grammar and spelling first of all, goes a long way towards people taking you more seriously. Your posts should always be neat and organized, and of course easy to read. @higorm and @veshark both definitely have some of the better formatting I've seen on the site. You also seemed to give up too easily; in our Raiden vs Itachi debate, you still said Itachi would win, but you didn't really explain why. Most of your post towards the end of our debate was just you conceding that I had the advantage in whatever category, but Itachi still wins regardless. It's good that you can admit when your character is outmatched in a specific category, but you need to explain WHY your character would still win.

You haven't even breached the thousand post mark yet, so there's plenty of time to improve.

#15 Edited by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2: how about me? (considering the Nice was for the thread :P)

#16 Posted by HigorM (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: great breakdown, that´s what I´m talking about! Panther Boss ftw!

#17 Posted by nickzambuto (12903 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: You just suck lol.

Coming from the guy who thinks Yusuke can take on Freeza, pfff.

#18 Posted by NighThunder (2842 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a terrible debater. I just flame people out and then rage :/

#20 Edited by Funsiized (3585 posts) - - Show Bio

@nighthunder: you make Logical points and Counters. And it's fun debating with you. But sometimes it seems as if you think your side should win just because its your side.

#21 Edited by Funsiized (3585 posts) - - Show Bio

P.S I Tend to Make every one i Debate with Angry and Hate me.

Why?

#22 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2: Thanks :)

I try and stay away from topics that involve character's I'm not familiar with. Often times I'll use a character I know nothing about in a tournament in order to give them a test run, doing research on them as the tournament goes on, as a matter of fact I knew nothing of Iron Fist or Bane before I joined the Vine but debates inspired me to learn more about em!

#23 Edited by NighThunder (2842 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized: Because people get frustrated when they can't counter. And you have a effective way to solidly counter almost everything.

@nighthunder: you make Logical points and Counters. And it's fun debating with you. But sometimes it seems as if you think your side should win just because its your side.

Hm.......Okay. TIME TO DEBATE BUILD

#24 Posted by nickzambuto (12903 posts) - - Show Bio

Why?

Well, judging by our debate in the Poster tourney (again, only time I've seen you in action) you can work on being a bit more respectful. You acted like your team is unstoppable and my guys are just gonna fall on the ground and cry in the face of your greatness.

Oh, and calcs. Calcs suck... :P

#25 Edited by NighThunder (2842 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Funsiized (3585 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized said:

Why?

Well, judging by our debate in the Poster tourney (again, only time I've seen you in action) you can work on being a bit more respectful. You acted like your team is unstoppable and my guys are just gonna fall on the ground and cry in the face of your greatness.

Why shouldn't they? i am pretty Awesome :)

But hmm, thank's for the advice. i will try to be less....Oppressive? in the future.

#27 Posted by i_like_swords (13037 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I still need to establish myself as a good debater, but until then, can anyone suggest something that needs improving?

#28 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: @omgomgwtfwtf: @cadencev2:

of the people in this thread so far, i honestly remember the 3 of you most, and i have to say that you three are really good at what you do(way higher tier than me, but i still consider myself new[like a month-ish kinda i guess] so i don't really expect to be THAT good) and each of you have shown me some very solid points and hard evidence at atleast one point in time, and have each taught me something(s)..

overall you guys are great debaters (at least against me .-. )

#29 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19910 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel neglected.

#30 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by i_like_swords (13037 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Hai Gais

#33 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured I'd post here what I try and keep in mind every time I'm in a debate

• Have Scans - Often times you or an opponent will bring up a specific point but don't have a scan or proof of it. It's understandable if both you and your opponent both recall the instance in which you're referring to but often times this isn't the case. It's always a good idea to have scans ready to prove your point, even if you think it's PAINFULLY obvious that Daredevil can dodge bullets, it's always good to have a couple showings on hand for those who are newer or just have no experience with the character.
  • Don't take things personally - We're currently in a battle zone, I mean we're in a battle forums, and sometimes temper's can rise. Keep in mind that you're debating a fictional character who doesn't actually exist. At the end of the day be kind to your opponent and stay respectful, nobody will want to debate with you if you always cause a fuss!
  • Keep a decent tone - The internet is awful because you don't know the tone of voice in which you're supposed to be reading a post,so sometimes words are perceived differently as they were intended to be. I try and keep a joking or happy attitude to all of my posts, congratulating my opponent if they make a good point, complimenting their teams while also explaining their faults. It never hurts to throw a smiley face in their either! :)
  • Try to avoid Fanboyism - We've all got our favorite characters but we shouldn't let that put us into a blind stupor. I personally am a fan of Iron Fist & Bane, and often defend them in debates. Though if there was ever a post about Bane vs Galactus I wouldn't defend Bane just because I like the character. You must learn when to draw the line and accept that some characters are stronger in certain aspects than other characters. It doesn't mean the character you like is worse than the other, it just means they're not as well suited for the situation.
  • Be a good sport - When a debate ends, always congratulate the participants. A good debate is always fun to read, and I personally enjoy it when I see that people are having a good time debating. Take these debates as a chance to learn about new characters. Recently I was in a debate against Jwalser3 where it was Tarzan vs Bane and it was one of the more fun debates I've had on the site because of how it went down. We weren't trying to say that one character was better and the other sucked, we brought up examples of WHY a certain character would be better & both learned a lot about the others respective character choice. We do these debates for fun and as a hobby, don't let them get out of hand.
  • Grammar - It never hurts to make sure your grammar is top notch before you reply to a thread or make a post. Sometimes it's hard to focus on the points someone is making if you can hardly read what they've written. Though never make fun of someones grammar in a debate, use it as an opportunity to teach them, but don't make part of your debate a correction of their words.
  • Organization - This goes hand in hand with Grammar. Try and keep your posts neat and organized. We've got a ton of lovely formatting settings here on Comic Vine, take advantage of them. Use headings, post images side by side and give them captions. I always love it when a user has organized everything in their debate making it easier to read and follow along with.

So yeah, just some general things that everyone should try and work with :)

#34 Edited by Mr_Ingenuity (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@funsiized said:

Why?

I can't believe I'm seeing this.

*hurts itself in confusion*

#35 Edited by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Always have a backup plan.

After our incredibly close debate in Jokergeist's Party Tournament I realized it's always best to have a backplan. I'm mostly referring to the fact that you were really dead set on your strategy that involved the New Vegas Strip Security, though I had been contesting that. If you believe 100% that you've debated a fact to death but your opponent still fails to agree, create some sort of failsafe.

So if you believe that every member on the Strip Security will be working on you're side and you feel like you've debated it well enough but your foe just doesn't believe you say " It's up to the judges to decide on this, I feel as if I've proven my point yet you still don't seem to agree and we can agree to disagree. If for some reason that the judges don't agree that this would work then here is another thing my team could do to secure the win 'x' "

Honestly it's a really minor thing but I saw you asked and figured I'd give my two cents. Overall you're a great debater and I started organizing my posts after what I saw of you in Diredrills Big Shoes Tournament. Keep up the good work :)

#36 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19910 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by nickzambuto (12903 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

I was joking btw, seriously from what I've seen from YNCG he's pretty solid debating wise.

#42 Posted by MisterWhisper (1810 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I would be happy if people would just debate about characters they actually have read before...

#43 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@misterwhisper: I'd agree, or if they do research on he character.

I myself have never read much of Iron Fist or Bane, yet I commonly use them in tournaments because I've done enough research on both the characters to properly use them.

Context is key.

#44 Posted by joewell (6249 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anyone rate me? I mean i don't think i have ever actually won anything unless my opponent forfieted, so i'd really like some help

#45 Posted by i_like_swords (13037 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Always have a backup plan.

After our incredibly close debate in Jokergeist's Party Tournament I realized it's always best to have a backplan. I'm mostly referring to the fact that you were really dead set on your strategy that involved the New Vegas Strip Security, though I had been contesting that. If you believe 100% that you've debated a fact to death but your opponent still fails to agree, create some sort of failsafe.

So if you believe that every member on the Strip Security will be working on you're side and you feel like you've debated it well enough but your foe just doesn't believe you say " It's up to the judges to decide on this, I feel as if I've proven my point yet you still don't seem to agree and we can agree to disagree. If for some reason that the judges don't agree that this would work then here is another thing my team could do to secure the win 'x' "

Honestly it's a really minor thing but I saw you asked and figured I'd give my two cents. Overall you're a great debater and I started organizing my posts after what I saw of you in Diredrills Big Shoes Tournament. Keep up the good work :)

Yeah, that is true. Having a backup plan is necessary. Thanks for the pointer and compliment!

#46 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Jokergeist's Guide to Proper Debating

Step 1) Have Scans.

Example of a scan

Often times when you're at a grocery store at the shopping checkout, it gets quite annoying when item scans are missing. The cashier lady says "where's the scans?", and you unresponsively left them at home! So always remember to bring scans wherever you go. It's key to being a great debater.

Step 2) Don't take things personally.

We're currently in a battle zone, I mean we're in a battle forums, and sometimes tempers can rise. If someone rudely insults you during a debate, well you know what they say: "Take the bitter with the sweet!"

...and that translates to "throw bittersweet fruits at your opponent for being rude."

Step 3) Keep a decent tone.

The internet is awful because you don't know the tone of voice in which you're supposed to be reading a post. So make it easy for everyone and hit that Caps Lock button on the left side of your keyboard. THIS WAY YOUR VOICE SEEMS TO BE SPOKEN CLEARLY AND ORALLY APPEALING TO READ. LIKE MARTIN LUTHER KING JUNIOR.

Step 4) Be a good sport.

You can BE any sport in the world! You can choose to be Soccer and kick your opponent to reach your goals. You can choose to be Baseball and whack him with a bat. You can choose to be Boxing and punch him in the face. Regardless of which you choose, always remember to be a good sport.

Step 5) Grammer.

it never herts to make shur you're grammer is top noch beefor you reply to a thred or make a post. Sumtimes its hard to fokus on the poynts sumewon is mayking if you can hardly reed what they've ritten. Though nevr make fun of sumwons grammer in a debate, use it as an oppertunity to teech them, but dont make part of you're deebayt a corekshun of their werds.\

Step 6) Organization.

We're all humans, and we need our internal organs to live. That's why it's important to see a doctor monthly to check up on your organs. Always keep your vital organs in check, which includes your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, and spleen. If any of these fail, you will die. And you cannot debate properly when you're dead. So always remember to be organized.

Sincerely,

#47 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

USE SPOILER BLOCKS FOR MASSIVE SCAN DUMPS

Only advice i can give people who load the big images into their threads (like me).

#48 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf: I've got to start doing that more often. I feel bad for Dredeuced having to sift through some of my posts in the Final Round of Diredrills tournament XD

#50 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf: I've got to start doing that more often. I feel bad for Dredeuced having to sift through some of my posts in the Final Round of Diredrills tournament XD

Yeah, when I started I didn't know how to spoiler tag pics, so my points would be lost in seas of images. Also took forever to load sometimes....lol