User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Silver2467
Deathstroke
No Caption Provided

VS 

Darth Maul
No Caption Provided

Rules: 
  • Random encounter. No prep, but both have basic knowledge of the other.
  • Standard equipment for both.
  • Maul is not allowed to use the Force for telekinetic powers.
  • Morals apply.
  • Victory by death or KO.
  • Combatants begin 15 meters apart, visible from the starting point.
  • Battle takes place in Times Square NYC, nighttime, unpopulated.
  • Two rounds: 1) New Earth Deathstroke. 2) DCNU Deathstroke.
Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

How proficient with telekinesis is Maul?

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said:
Check the OP edit.
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Check the OP edit.
I'm pretty sure the Force still grants it's users a form of precognition..
Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spartan101

maul should win imo

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Check the OP edit.
It does, but if you mean to formulate a case for Maul, you might need to describe more of the details of the fight than that.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver2467
@Spartan101 said:

maul should win imo

Explain.
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Check the OP edit.
It does, but if you mean to formulate a case for Maul, you might need to describe more of the details of the fight than that.
I realize that. I was simply attempting to warn you that the Force gives advantages other than telekinesis to Maul.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said: 
I realize that. I was simply attempting to warn you that the Force gives advantages other than telekinesis to Maul.
LOL. I know very well what the Force can do. And I agree that precog is an advantage for Maul, one that would increase the effectiveness of his reaction time, and given that Slade has projectile weapons, such as his staff and firearms, it would certainly help Maul to have a precog forewarn him to attacks.  

Do you have an opinion on the outcome?
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
LOL. I know very well what the Force can do. And I agree that precog is an advantage for Maul, one that would increase the effectiveness of his reaction time, and given that Slade has projectile weapons, such as his staff and firearms, it would certainly help Maul to have a precog forewarn him to attacks.   Do you have an opinion on the outcome?
Just making sure. :) 

Yes, Maul wins both rounds. His lightsaber should be able to cut through all of Slade's weapons and armor, and the precog will only stack the odds against DS.
Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spartan101

his training and force powers like precog should be enough just to stop slade,the force has other abilities to add to the fight,like agility,speed etc,maul is a beast and should edge a win imo.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said: 
Just making sure. :)  Yes, Maul wins both rounds. His lightsaber should be able to cut through all of Slade's weapons and armor, and the precog will only stack the odds against DS. 
@Spartan101 said:

his training and force powers like precog should be enough just to stop slade,the force has other abilities to add to the fight,like agility,speed etc,maul is a beast and should edge a win imo. 

Nothing I can really say about DCNU Slade (I will leave debating on that round to Morpheus), but sure, Maul could cut through Slade's weapons and his armor. How he would do so is for you to explain. There is a decent starting distance in an environment that Deathstroke would be more familiar with than Maul, and given the fact that both characters have rudimentary knowledge of the other's skills, Slade would be strategizing on how best to compensate for Maul's speed and lightsaber. I doubt he would simply allow Maul to close the gap with no resistance, and with his weapons, he could make coming in close difficult for Maul. 
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
Just making sure. :)  Yes, Maul wins both rounds. His lightsaber should be able to cut through all of Slade's weapons and armor, and the precog will only stack the odds against DS. 
@Spartan101 said:

Nothing I can really say about DCNU Slade (I will leave debating on that round to Morpheus), but sure, Maul could cut through Slade's weapons and his armor. How he would do so is for you to explain. There is a decent starting distance in an environment that Deathstroke would be more familiar with than Maul, and given the fact that both characters have rudimentary knowledge of the other's skills, Slade would be strategizing on how best to compensate for Maul's speed and lightsaber. I doubt he would simply allow Maul to close the gap with no resistance, and with his weapons, he could make coming in close difficult for Maul. 
Pre-FP Slade could actually defeat Maul, assuming he put extensive thought into the environment and Maul's abilities. If he had the right equipment (explosives and several grenade launchers/rockets), he could simply overwhelm Maul with a variety of firearms.  

However, if Slade is unable to stop Maul before he closes the gap, then I don't see him surviving for long unless he has something put in place to ensure his survival, such as a claymore.
Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Rowen545

Interesting battle. True Slade would try to keep it a long range battle. What long range weapons does he have? Maul could likely dodge any missile via tk. Slade's best chances are sniping, grenades (frag, poison gas, etc). That said given the fact that Slade has a much smaller margin of error for this fight I believe Maul would take it.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said: 
Pre-FP Slade could actually defeat Maul, assuming he put extensive thought into the environment and Maul's abilities. If he had the right equipment (explosives and several grenade launchers/rockets), he could simply overwhelm Maul with a variety of firearms.   However, if Slade is unable to stop Maul before he closes the gap, then I don't see him surviving for long unless he has something put in place to ensure his survival, such as a claymore.
I doubt Slade needs any weapons like that when he already has a staff that can blow up helicopters.  

Swords, not always but often times, are a standard equipment for Slade. If he had his usual bladed weaponry, how do you think that would affect the outcome? 

@Rowen545 said:

Interesting battle. True Slade would try to keep it a long range battle. What long range weapons does he have? Maul could likely dodge any missile via tk. Slade's best chances are sniping, grenades (frag, poison gas, etc). That said given the fact that Slade has a much smaller margin of error for this fight I believe Maul would take it.

Read the OP. TK is out, and I have never seen Maul stop or redirect a projectile with his Telekinesis before anyway. I doubt he really has that much precision with it, especially not mid-combat. Generally speaking, when Maul uses TK in the middle of a fight, he does so to hurl objects at his foe. 
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
Pre-FP Slade could actually defeat Maul, assuming he put extensive thought into the environment and Maul's abilities. If he had the right equipment (explosives and several grenade launchers/rockets), he could simply overwhelm Maul with a variety of firearms.   However, if Slade is unable to stop Maul before he closes the gap, then I don't see him surviving for long unless he has something put in place to ensure his survival, such as a claymore.
I doubt Slade needs any weapons like that when he already has a staff that can blow up helicopters.  

Swords, not always but often times, are a standard equipment for Slade. If he had his usual bladed weaponry, how do you think that would affect the outcome? 

Then his staff should suffice. 

I'm not sure, to be honest. Most people would immediately state that his bladed weaponry would be rendered useless when fighting someone with a lightsaber. But, if Slade were able to dodge Maul's attacks, he could possibly end it all with a throat-slice.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said: 
Then his staff should suffice.   I'm not sure, to be honest. Most people would immediately state that his bladed weaponry would be rendered useless when fighting someone with a lightsaber. But, if Slade were able to dodge Maul's attacks, he could possibly end it all with a throat-slice.
Assuming Slade's sword is promethium, I will just assume it can withstand the lightsaber so as to avoid a "Lightsaber vs Promethium" debate. Regarding Slade dodging his attacks, I think he can; whether he would be able to evade blows long enough to win is open for debate, as is how long "long enough to win" exactly is. However, Maul's combat speed should be superior; so Slade would have to rely more on his tactics than straightforward melee when dealing with Maul in close-quarter, something he would know from the start anyway.  

Why a throat-slice though? Why not direct impalement or severance?
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:

Assuming Slade's sword is promethium, I will just assume it can withstand the lightsaber so as to avoid a "Lightsaber vs Promethium" debate.
I'm willing to agree to that statement. 

@Silver2467 said:
Regarding Slade dodging his attacks, I think he can; whether he would be able to evade blows long enough to win is open for debate, as is how long "long enough to win" exactly is. However, Maul's combat speed should be superior; so Slade would have to rely more on his tactics than straightforward melee when dealing with Maul in close-quarter, something he would know from the start anyway.   
Slade will need to have already planned for the completely possible scenario where Maul closes the gap between them and it becomes a battle of wits and skill with bladed weaponry. 

@Silver2467 said:   
   Why a throat-slice though? Why not direct impalement or severance?

A throat-slice would ensure the demise of Maul, whereas an impalement/severance will not always be able to accomplish such things. Maul has a basic humanoid anatomy, but we have no idea if stabbing him where the standard human heart would be would have any real effect on him. We do know however that his neck functions the same way any humanoid like that does, and thus a throat-slice would be both unexpected and fatal.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silver2467
@Illuminatus said: 
Slade will need to have already planned for the completely possible scenario where Maul closes the gap between them and it becomes a battle of wits and skill with bladed weaponry.
It also becomes a matter of physical stats and pain tolerance. Slade's healing factor is considerably greater than any healing ability Maul has displayed, which is an edge for him.  

A throat-slice would ensure the demise of Maul, whereas an impalement/severance will not always be able to accomplish such things. Maul has a basic humanoid anatomy, but we have no idea if stabbing him where the standard human heart would be would have any real effect on him. We do know however that his neck functions the same way any humanoid like that does, and thus a throat-slice would be both unexpected and fatal.
Vader killed Maul by stabbing through him; so yes, impalement would work.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

sooooooo Slade has guns then?

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Silver2467
@The Stegman: Yes.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Silver2467: then i'm giving it to him
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Silver2467 said:

@Illuminatus said: 

It also becomes a matter of physical stats and pain tolerance. Slade's healing factor is considerably greater than any healing ability Maul has displayed, which is an edge for him.  
I concur once again. I can't remember a time when Maul even displayed having an enhanced healing factor. 

@Silver2467 said:

Vader killed Maul by stabbing through him; so yes, impalement would work.

Did he stab him somewhere that was particularly vital?
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By nefarious

Oh dear, I know nothing about the EU but know a lot about DS. 

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silver2467
@The Stegman said:
@Silver2467: then i'm giving it to him
Why? 

@Illuminatus said: 
I concur once again. I can't remember a time when Maul even displayed having an enhanced healing factor.
Right. As a Zabrak, Maul does have some enhanced durability and pain tolerance (he managed to withstand being thrown back by a speeder's repulsors without much injury and resisted a Nightsister's Force Lightning), but in terms of sheer healing ability, Slade is the clear superior. 

Did he stab him somewhere that was particularly vital?
No Caption Provided
@Nefarious said:
Oh dear, I know nothing about the EU but know a lot about DS. 
I could provide information on his feats if you need. What do you want to know about?
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nefarious
@Silver2467: Thanks, ummm I want to know about Darth Maul's epic fights. Also, his powers and abilities. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Silver2467
@Nefarious: For dueling, Maul fought as an equal to Vader, beat Anoon Bondara, and beat Qui-gon Jinn, all of whom are notable fighters.  

His powers are more stealth and combat prone. He has the ability to control his nervous system to an extent, and he is skilled with Force Concealment. On at least one occasion, he controlled gravity to slow his descent, but this has no other applications that I can see. His physical stats are his most impressive traits, namely his speed and agility. 

Here are a few of his speed feats. 

Viewing his surroundings in slow motion.

The dark side blossomed in Darth Maul, the power of it resonating in him like black lightning, augmenting his years of training, guiding his actions. Time seemed to slow, to stretch.

--Taken from Darth Maul Shadow Hunter      

Moving his hands in a blur. 

Before the weapon had bounced off the wall and landed on the floor, Maul had the lightsaber in his grasp. He thumbed on both blades as the next blaster bolt and half a dozen more came his way in rapid succession. The Sith apprentice's hands were a blur as he let the dark side take him over completely, giving in to its power and allowing it to control and manipulate him. 

--Taken from Darth Maul Shadow Hunter  

Running in a blur

Desperate, she reached for her wrist launcher. Her only chance was to hit the horned one squarely and hope that the explosion would be contained enough by the other's body to allow Lihnn to survive. But as she triggered the launcher the tattooed man seemed to disappear in a blur.

Moving his lightsaber fast enough to produce red "webs." 

The Sith and the Jedi leapt from the speeder bike onto the platform to continue their battle. The docking ledge was only about ten meters by fifteen, barely enough room to maneuver in. Maul knew he had to dispatch the Jedi quickly, before Pavan once again vanished into the labyrinth of Coruscant's downlevels. He pressed the attack viciously, blocking and thrusting, the twin radiant blades spinning a web of light about him. 

Moving his lightsaber fast enough to produce a red "shield."

His eyes were hypnotic, their golden hue an eerie counterpart to the bloodred and black tattoos covering his face. But they did not prevent her from deflecting his strikes as he again moved within range, his twin blades spinning so fast they seemed to merge into a crimson shield.

Leaping imperceptibly fast.  

Then he sprang to a series of other sites that ultimately carried him to the wall of the principal building, moving with such speed the entire time that whatever holorecordings were being made wouldnt show him unless they were played in slow motion.

--Taken from Darth Maul: Saboteur
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nefarious
@Silver2467: Wow, that is incredible. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Silver2467
@Nefarious: His speed is impressive. Although I will point out that Maul's general running/movement speed should be rather unimportant given that Slade can react to characters far faster than he is when they run by him.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nefarious
@Silver2467: That is true. 
Obtrusive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Obtrusive

How well does his swords hold up against a light saber?

DrAlbertVentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrAlbertVentum

@Obtrusive said:

How well does his swords hold up against a light saber?

For the purpose of this thread we're assuming his sword can block a light saber.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Silver2467

@Anyone-who-reads-DCNU-issues: Want to shed some light on Round 2?

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fetts

I could see this going either way. 

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Supreme Cosmic

Forget Maul, Darth Bane or Darth Zanna would trash Deathstroke

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By TifaLockhart

I give this to Maul because of the lightsaber. He can block projectiles with it, and it'd slice through Slade and his blades quite cleanly.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silver2467
@Supreme Cosmic said:

Forget Maul, Darth Bane or Darth Zanna would trash Deathstroke

How incredibly relevant...
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia said:

I give this to Maul because of the lightsaber. He can block projectiles with it, and it'd slice through Slade and his blades quite cleanly.

The OP already stipulated that his blades are crafted from promethium, and for the purposes of this fight, cannot be cut or broken down by a lightsaber.
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TifaLockhart

@Illuminatus: Where does it mention prometheum in the original post?

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@Illuminatus: Where does it mention prometheum in the original post?

It doesn't. But you can check one of Silver's later posts and find that information.
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TifaLockhart

@Illuminatus: It should be edited into the original post, IMO.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Take that up with Silver then.
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TifaLockhart

@Illuminatus: You're the one giving me grief over it. Deathstroke last I knew never even had a prometheum blade, except in a Wizard magazine interview.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@Illuminatus: You're the one giving me grief over it. Deathstroke last I knew never even had a prometheum blade, except in a Wizard magazine interview.

I'm not attempting to "give you grief over it". I was simply pointing something out to you that I thought you most likely had overlooked. 
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TifaLockhart

@Illuminatus: I read the whole thread. The original post clearly says standard equipment and Silver later says that assuming the sword is prometheum it can stand up to the lightsaber for argument's sake.

Deathstroke last I knew never had a prometheum sword.

TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheBatman586

Since TK is off the table, can Maul use the Force for telepathy? That is to say, has he ever shown an ability to read/influence minds using the Force?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nefarious

I'm going with Darth Maul. His powers and abilities are up there.

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Freefa11

Does anyone know how fast blaster bolts are compared to bullets? Small arms blasters in Wars have also always seemed to have a very low rate of fire compared to modern-day automatic weapons. Bullets are also a lot less visible than blaster bolts, and probably much smaller. The basic point of all this is that while Maul may be capable of parrying blaster bolts that are fired at a rate of maybe 2 shots per second or something, that doesn't mean he has much hope of parrying a spray coming out at 600+ rounds per minute, especially if the bullets are already faster, smaller, and harder to see.

Of course, in comics automatic weapons seem to be much slower and more visible than in real life anyway (that or "baseline" humans can be many times faster than real humans), but assuming realism, keeping Maul at a distance and shooting at him with some sort of machinegun could be a good tactic. I'm not sure about Maul's endurance, but even if he manages to block/dodge all of the bullets, I'd think he'd at least be more tired after all that than Deathstroke, putting him at a bit of a disadvantage when they close to melee.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silver2467

@Illuminatus: I read the whole thread. The original post clearly says standard equipment and Silver later says that assuming the sword is prometheum it can stand up to the lightsaber for argument's sake.

Deathstroke last I knew never had a prometheum sword.

When I said that, I meant to say that for the purposes of this thread, he does. 

@Freefa11 said:

Does anyone know how fast blaster bolts are compared to bullets?

I have never once seen an instance where blaster bolts have been shown as slower as bullets. In fact, some characters, such as Mace, have compared blaster bolts to bullets before (he said that since Kar Vastor could react to blaster bolts, he could do the same to bullets), and given that blaster bolts fired from standard infantry rifles have crossed battlefields around a thousand or two yards (rough estimate) nearly instantly, they should be at least as fast. Furthermore, Force sensitives have never had a problem deflecting bullets or other solid projectiles or objects, such as shrapnel, anyway.
Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Freefa11

@Silver2467: Well, the muzzle velocity of a gun can vary dramatically, so "nearly instantly" and "rough estimate" are actually important here. A quick google search (I am not a gun-nut by any means) shows that a Colt 45 might have a muzzle velocity of 1,000 ft/s, whereas an M-16 is a bit over 3,000 ft/s. That means an M-16 round could cross those 2,000 yards in about 2 seconds (well, realistically a bit longer due to wind resistance), so how long the blaster bolts take is important. Also, 2,000 yards is well over a mile; by standard infantry rifle I assume you're talking about the kinds of guns used by Stormtroopers (or maybe the big Clonetrooper ones), which don't seem very well suited to actually aiming at something a mile away (unless it's huge).

But that's not really the main issue. I don't have a huge problem with the idea of a force wielder like Maul being able to parry bullets with the same ease as a blaster bolt. The thing I am more curious about is basically how fast he can move his arms to make parries. Also going by Google, an M-16 has a maximum rate of fire on full-auto of about 950 rounds per minute. This seems to be many times faster than what the rate of fire typically appears to be from handheld blasters, at least as I recall. Granted, the 950 rpm is going to be an idealized situation, but the basic question is what is the maximum rate of fire Darth Maul has been able to dodge and deflect.

Of course, I don't know if an actual M-16 would be considered part of Slade's "standard" gear, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him with automatic weapons before, and given his status in the DCU, I wouldn't be surprised if he could easily get a hold of some sort of futuristic SMG that actually outperforms a standard M-16 in both areas.

But anyway, the basic two question would be; 1) what is Darth Maul's actual reaction speed? 2) What is his likely maximum parries per minute/sec?

On a side note, I find it odd that for a universe with as much trivial detail as Star Wars, there doesn't seem to be a concrete muzzle velocity for hand weapons.