Death Battle Disscusions/Predictions #2: Yang vs Tifa (RWBY vs FF)

Avatar image for agentghostrider
AgentGhostRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As of the moment, the next death battle to be release is Yang Xiao Long vs Tifa Lockhart

Rwby vs Final Fantasy

Who do you think will Deathbattle have win?

Remember, this is not who we think will actually win, it's who we think deathbattle will let win.

Side Note: Rooster Teeth, RWBY's Owner, is helping Screw Attack make this fight, I smell Bias

AgentGhostRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AgentGhostRider

bump. From what I've heard Yang is grossly out matched

@joewell I know you debate RWBY like a boss

and pretty sure @floopay has debated for Final Fantasy character before

Is it true Yang is outmatched?

Bahumat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard Tifa has fought country busters so Yang gets stomped (I don't know much about either person)

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joewell911

@agentghostrider: Yang's probably gonna win because Rooster Teeth is there and she has a power that can be easily used for NLFs (Gets strong as she's hit.)

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about Tifa, so I'm not sure who'd actually win.

Edit: After watching a cutscene or two with her in it, I'd still go with Yang. Tifa looks in the same tier as Yang, though I could just be misinformed.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. Warms my heart.

AgentGhostRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentGhostRider

@joewell: Yeah, most people on the SA forum are agreeing Rooster Teeth is going to bring up some BS feats that either don't exist or extremely wanked for Yang, but I defiantly see them bringing out the NLF for Yang, which it seems they do for every fighter they want to win

One of my favorite comments was

Yang should lose, I doubt she is going to go from Building Buster to Country Buster in 5 episodes

(Person's Response to this Comment)

Tell that to Goku

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentghostrider: XD

So what tier is Tifa herself? From the videos I watched (Which were only a couple cutscenes, I think she died in one...) she was only about a building buster, if that. I'd like it if someone could educate me on her real quick.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@floopay

AgentGhostRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell: heard she fought continent busters

IRHP87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tifa should win but knowing Death Battle...

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10 TifaLockhart  Online

I predict Yang will win due to game mechanics and lack of feats. Much like comicvine.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The difficulty with using Yang at this stage of RWBY's development is that the show is only two seasons in and we don't have the fullest understanding of what Yang can do at her peak potential. There is enough to discuss for sure but there could be more showings and feats if it was left for a later date. As for Tifa, I'm not familiar with her at all but she looks to be in about the same tier as Yang physically, I could be wrong though but there is a lack of information on what physicals and skill level Tifa is at compared to Yang.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If Deathbattle takes gameplay/hyperbole seriously, then Tifa should absolutely stomp. Because it says she hits with the force of a nuclear warhead. But honestly, that shouldn't be taken into consideration.

By feats, however, Tifa probably can't stand up. I really really like her as a character, but she doesn't have too many feats.

We know she's a bullet timer, we know she's superhuman in every stat, we know she has immense resistances, and we know she's supposedly one of the best hand to hand fighters in FF7 (according to her former instructor). But other than that, it's hard to find a lot of Tifa feats.

Thanks for reading,

FLoopay

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tifa's best canon feats are in the Advent Children film. Which are pretty on par with Yang's current feats. It's a tough fight to call fairly.

DesolatorStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, 2 characters I know absolutely nothing about. People bring up Rooster Teeth's involvement as a source for bias, but in what way are they involved? I mean, Team Four Star was "involved" with Superman VS Goku.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@granitesoldier: @joewell: @agentghostrider: @tifalockhart: @lvenger: @floopay:

My thoughts? Yang could win, but lose as well. Remember Season two beaten by a little girl with a umbrella? That little girl was not very strong in feats, and beat Yang good with brute force. Go figure.

Here is food for thought though I wanted to tag you all for. RWBY was created by Monty Oum for Rooster Teeth Productions. Know what else Monty created? Dead Fantasy. Who was rocking the fudging shit our of Dead Fanatsy? Tifa.

Seriously, they should consider Dead Fantasy since Monty himself showed Tifa on that pedestal, and if they do, Yang is screwed! The real question for me, is if they will knowledge Monty own work on Tifa compared to his works on Yang.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Just like to say, Neo is of a undetermined power level as of right now. Her beating down Yang is a good showing for her, not a bad one for Yang. She could have a Semblance that effected Yang in some way. We don't know if it was solely brute force.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sirfizzwhizz: It should be noted that with access to the Materia chest, Tifa actually stands a much better chance. I doubt, DB will take that into consideration though.

In Advent Children and during the On the Way to a Smile novella series, it is revealed that all the materia in FF7 is canon. Even in AC we see that independent materia is canon (Improve Strength, Speed, Durability, etc.).

We also know that Cloud and Tifa took it upon themselves to lock away all the non-restorative materia so that nobody could use it but them, and that only they would have access to it when they needed it. The only reason they didn't have it in AC was because Loz took it.

Which mean Tifa SHOULD have summons, destructive magics, and stat improvements in her arsenal to make her several times more imposing. But again, Death Battle doesn't really do their homework.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Enough anime

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Kuja9001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joewell911

Enough anime

But neither of these are anime... One's a webtoon and the other is a video game...

Unless that was on purpose.

Lucia_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I BELIEVE Tifa should win. Pretty sure through calc and such she's city to continent level.

BUT, as I have little knowledge, and the fact that Yang has a possible NFL, I am unsure.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Enough anime

But neither of these are anime... One's a webtoon and the other is a video game...

Unless that was on purpose.

No Caption Provided

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Just like to say, Neo is of a undetermined power level as of right now. Her beating down Yang is a good showing for her, not a bad one for Yang. She could have a Semblance that effected Yang in some way. We don't know if it was solely brute force.

I just like to add episode Food Fight. Yang was again physically beaten down and KOed. So again, her power and semblance is not NLF and has limits.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Only by Nora after getting launched into space.

I agree on both of those last statements though.

Bahumat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell: The max she could have been launched is a dozen kilometers IIRC.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bahumat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell: Oh, there's just a pretty big difference between those numbers.

It would make her durability seem a lot higher.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: On that umbrella girl Neo beating Yang, she didn't win via brute force. She won because she was more agile and dexterous than Yang and because her semblance is creating mirror clones of herself that can deceive her enemy into attacking the mirage whilst she lands a hit on them from behind. Tifa doesn't have that guile or deception advantage and it remains to be seen whether Death Battle think she has the agility edge as well.

On your Dead Fantasy point, I don't see why Death Battle would acknowledge a fan made web series that happened to include Final Fantasy characters like Tifa in it. They only use sources that come with company's license, canon or otherwise. Why do you think they'd use Monty Oum's other animated project as well?

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@lvenger:

On that umbrella girl Neo beating Yang, she didn't win via brute force. She won because she was more agile and dexterous than Yang and because her semblance is creating mirror clones of herself that can deceive her enemy into attacking the mirage whilst she lands a hit on them from behind. Tifa doesn't have that guile or deception advantage and it remains to be seen whether Death Battle think she has the agility edge as well.

Well here is the issue. I am arguing Dead Fantasy in account since Monty written, and animated that before RWBY. In which case Yang is so outclass in everyway.

However, even if using 'canon" Tifa, Yang was beaten by Nora via brute force, and the Umbrella chick still physically beaten Yang with much less force than Yang tank against the Mech. Yang's semblance of getting more powerful with damage is inconsistent, and seems to be plot guided more than anything.

On your Dead Fantasy point, I don't see why Death Battle would acknowledge a fan made web series that happened to include Final Fantasy characters like Tifa in it. They only use sources that come with company's license, canon or otherwise. Why do you think they'd use Monty Oum's other animated project as well?

Because Monty Oum written and made Tifa into how he saw her, and written RWBY after it. What matters is the same writer of both series viewed his characters in different tier clearly, and that accounts for something. To me anyway. I mean would we dismiss Josh Whedons comment of Buffy beating Black Widow? He written and directed both characters. Same for the writer of Snake Eyes in IDW comics saying Snake Eyes would be as skilled as Batman and he written Batman as well. On battle forums we take this into account. Same again for dozen other examples. Author/Writer input counts and matters as much as feats themselves.

Add to this line of thinking is that 90% of Tofa's feats are game mechanics. There is hardly any cut scene footage, yet in game Tifa takes down Godzilla size monsters, island busting beings, ect. However that is game mechanics. She hits with a stated nuke in game moves. Is it true? We cannot really say as the only Tifa we have to judge is a movie of her here in Advent Children in which Tifa was out of practice, and had zero Materia abilities unlike her game self.

My point is Tifa only quantifiable scenes is Monty Oum's Dead fantasy where Monty put alot of focus on Tifa and her abilities, and the Advent Children where she is nerf for lack of a better term. Unless they use game mechanics, and she would beat 100 Yangs in that case mate.

kbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about RWBY but I don't see them giving the win to Tifa

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz:

Well here is the issue. I am arguing Dead Fantasy in account since Monty written, and animated that before RWBY. In which case Yang is so outclass in everyway.

However, even if using 'canon" Tifa, Yang was beaten by Nora via brute force, and the Umbrella chick still physically beaten Yang with much less force than Yang tank against the Mech. Yang's semblance of getting more powerful with damage is inconsistent, and seems to be plot guided more than anything.

But that doesn't make sense, just because Monty animated and wrote Dead Fantasy, it doesn't make it a canon part of the Final Fantasy universe either. There are also characters such as Ryu Hayabusa and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts who appear in this animated series. By this logic, do their feats and fights from Dead Fantasy count for their respective series?

I concur that Yang's kinetic force absorption semblance is very inconsistent and immeasurable based on the one time it's appeared in RWBY but that doesn't detract from how impressive it was that Yang got stronger from the mech's attacks. If anything, Tifa might fight more like the mech than she will fight like Neo so that plays into Yang's favour.

Because Monty Oum written and made Tifa into how he saw her, and written RWBY after it. What matters is the same writer of both series viewed his characters in different tier clearly, and that accounts for something. To me anyway. I mean would we dismiss Josh Whedons comment of Buffy beating Black Widow? He written and directed both characters. Same for the writer of Snake Eyes in IDW comics saying Snake Eyes would be as skilled as Batman and he written Batman as well. On battle forums we take this into account. Same again for dozen other examples. Author/Writer input counts and matters as much as feats themselves.

See my point on the other characters that appeared in Dead Fantasy and whether their fights are canon to their series. I have my doubts in spite of how Monty Oum was part of the inspiration behind Death Battle and how Dead Fantasy includes Tifa in it that it will be counted as an official source for Tifa's physical and skill set. It's not a part of the Final Fantasy universe like Advent Children was and therefore it would be really odd if Death Battle used it as part of Tifa's analysis.

Josh Whedon saying that Buffy would beat Black Widow is at least somewhat relevant considering that he's the creator of Buffy, he directed Age of Ultron including Black Widow's scenes and that Buffy's feats correlate with her ability to beat Black Widow. Who said that Snake Eyes was as skilled as Batman and where? Because Santoloucho said the exact same thing about Splinter and Shredder and that has yet to be proven until the Batman/TMNT crossover. Author and writer input only matters if it doesn't outright contradict what they themselves wrote the characters doing.

Add to this line of thinking is that 90% of Tofa's feats are game mechanics. There is hardly any cut scene footage, yet in game Tifa takes down Godzilla size monsters, island busting beings, ect. However that is game mechanics. She hits with a stated nuke in game moves. Is it true? We cannot really say as the only Tifa we have to judge is a movie of her here in Advent Children in which Tifa was out of practice, and had zero Materia abilities unlike her game self.

Fair enough but if you count Dead Fantasy, isn't the general consensus that Yang will then be outmatched?

My point is Tifa only quantifiable scenes is Monty Oum's Dead fantasy where Monty put alot of focus on Tifa and her abilities, and the Advent Children where she is nerf for lack of a better term. Unless they use game mechanics, and she would beat 100 Yangs in that case mate.

But it wasn't authenticated or made by Square Enix, it's like using a non canon page from a fan comic where an older Superman destroys the Earth by flying through it even though Superman has no planet busting feats. When Death Battle have used cartoons or even movie feats for characters, they're at least connected to the source material even if they're not 'canon.' Dead Fantasy isn't official Final Fantasy canon so I doubt Death Battle will be using it.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@lvenger:

But that doesn't make sense, just because Monty animated and wrote Dead Fantasy, it doesn't make it a canon part of the Final Fantasy universe either. There are also characters such as Ryu Hayabusa and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts who appear in this animated series. By this logic, do their feats and fights from Dead Fantasy count for their respective series?

Sigh, your missing my point. I stated that "if" they take Dead Fantasy into account. I never said its canon or anything mate. If bias ass Deathbatlle can force a Manga strict Goku vs a composite Superman (All Star, Animated Series, Pre 52, and New 52) then I see no excuse for them not to use a Dead Fantasy/Final Fantasy/Kingdom of Hearts composite Tifa. Especially when Monty worked on both Dead Fantasy and RWBY as his personnel projects. The fact is Deathbatlle is freaking retarded with their bias, pulling feats for canon only for some characters, and composite feats for others, and you should know this by now.

I concur that Yang's kinetic force absorption semblance is very inconsistent and immeasurable based on the one time it's appeared in RWBY but that doesn't detract from how impressive it was that Yang got stronger from the mech's attacks. If anything, Tifa might fight more like the mech than she will fight like Neo so that plays into Yang's favour.

Not true at all. Tifa in both Advent Children and game scenes we do have uses kicks, and kunf fu type moves unlike that damn mech. She is a martial artist master to the point having superpowers. Not some Boxer.

See my point on the other characters that appeared in Dead Fantasy and whether their fights are canon to their series. I have my doubts in spite of how Monty Oum was part of the inspiration behind Death Battle and how Dead Fantasy includes Tifa in it that it will be counted as an official source for Tifa's physical and skill set. It's not a part of the Final Fantasy universe like Advent Children was and therefore it would be really odd if Death Battle used it as part of Tifa's analysis.

Again.

If bias ass Deathbatlle can force a Manga strict Goku vs a composite Superman (All Star, Animated Series, Pre 52, and New 52) then I see no excuse for them not to use a Dead Fantasy/Final Fantasy/Kingdom of Hearts composite Tifa.

Josh Whedon saying that Buffy would beat Black Widow is at least somewhat relevant considering that he's the creator of Buffy, he directed Age of Ultron including Black Widow's scenes and that Buffy's feats correlate with her ability to beat Black Widow. Who said that Snake Eyes was as skilled as Batman and where? Because Santoloucho said the exact same thing about Splinter and Shredder and that has yet to be proven until the Batman/TMNT crossover. Author and writer input only matters if it doesn't outright contradict what they themselves wrote the characters doing.

I agree. If it contradicts, like Justin Jordan has with Luther Strode feats, it should not matter. However if two characters never met, and they were written by same person, then it should be considered. "Considered"

Fair enough but if you count Dead Fantasy, isn't the general consensus that Yang will then be outmatched?

Yes. Yang is out match if we try to take account of Game Mechanics, or Dead fantasy. Only way yang wins is if they nerf Tifa as Advent Children only feats, which makes her pretty weak. They might do this as again, bias ass Deathbattle had a pimped out Link with all gear vs a gearless Cloud Strife. Laaaaame Deathbattle, laaaame. Like Dragon ball characters, they may just not think highly of, or care for Final Fantasy. Seriously, they seem pro America icon over Japan icon. Gaara vs Toph being another good example. Yang is America made, so.....

But it wasn't authenticated or made by Square Enix, it's like using a non canon page from a fan comic where an older Superman destroys the Earth by flying through it even though Superman has no planet busting feats. When Death Battle have used cartoons or even movie feats for characters, they're at least connected to the source material even if they're not 'canon.' Dead Fantasy isn't official Final Fantasy canon so I doubt Death Battle will be using it.

The only difference is this "fan fic" is made officially by the official creator of RWBY who ironically Tifa is facing against. Ironic, no?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

@sirfizzwhizz:

Sigh, your missing my point. I stated that "if" they take Dead Fantasy into account. I never said its canon or anything mate. If bias ass Deathbatlle can force a Manga strict Goku vs a composite Superman (All Star, Animated Series, Pre 52, and New 52) then I see no excuse for them not to use a Dead Fantasy/Final Fantasy/Kingdom of Hearts composite Tifa. Especially when Monty worked on both Dead Fantasy and RWBY as his personnel projects. The fact is Deathbatlle is freaking retarded with their bias, pulling feats for canon only for some characters, and composite feats for others, and you should know this by now.

I was never on board with Screw Attack's biased use of various Superman sources compared to the more limited DBZ versions but that doesn't mean they'll use a fan made web animation from a web series where Tifa happens to make an appearance. Especially one that wasn't authenticated by Square Enix itself. I'm well aware that Death Battle are lazy and narrow minded in their research compared to some comic battle boards such as us on CV but they haven't used source material that hasn't been authenticated by some source from the original company e.g DC and WB on the Superman animated feats. Maybe you're right, maybe Death Battle will pay further respect to Monty and use his Dead Fantasy series, we'll have to see. Guessing isn't possible right now though.

Not true at all. Tifa in both Advent Children and game scenes we do have uses kicks, and kunf fu type moves unlike that damn mech. She is a martial artist master to the point having superpowers. Not some Boxer.

Define master martial artist, many fictional characters can throw fancy kicks and attacks in their fights but that doesn't necessarily make them a master martial artist. We'd also need to know her speed and reaction feats which are unclear at least to me.

However if two characters never met, and they were written by same person, then it should be considered.

What relevance does this have on Yang vs Tifa though? Monty isn't around to be asked for his opinion on this Death Battle sadly so what's more likely going to be the 'official' source? Screw Attack's company partner Rooster Teeth who are working with Death Battle in this particular video.

Yang is America made, so.....

If there will be bias in this video, it's not going to be Death Battle's so called American preference. It's the fact that RWBY was Monty Oum's latest and most popular works to date with a sizable fanbase and even winning some awards (though not really impressive ones.) Add in Rooster Teeth 'working' with Screw Attack in this video and if there's any bias in deciding who wins, it'll be the fact that Rooster Teeth is partners with Screw Attack so it's more likely Yang will win over Tifa even if Tifa is superior to Yang.

The only difference is this "fan fic" is made officially by the official creator of RWBY who ironically Tifa is facing against. Ironic, no?

It is a coincidence but maybe that's all it is, a coincidence.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Maybe you're right, maybe Death Battle will pay further respect to Monty and use his Dead Fantasy series, we'll have to see. Guessing isn't possible right now though.

That is all I am saying. "If"

Define master martial artist, many fictional characters can throw fancy kicks and attacks in their fights but that doesn't necessarily make them a master martial artist. We'd also need to know her speed and reaction feats which are unclear at least to me.

I think @floopay knows such sources. I will let him explain that better with accuracy.

What relevance does this have on Yang vs Tifa though? Monty isn't around to be asked for his opinion on this Death Battle sadly so what's more likely going to be the 'official' source? Screw Attack's company partner Rooster Teeth who are working with Death Battle in this particular video.

Just because he is dead does not mean we cannot see through the feats of the characters he written and anaimated to see what he felt. This is basic Art 101. Though again my whole argument is "If"

If there will be bias in this video, it's not going to be Death Battle's so called American preference. It's the fact that RWBY was Monty Oum's latest and most popular works to date with a sizable fanbase and even winning some awards (though not really impressive ones.) Add in Rooster Teeth 'working' with Screw Attack in this video and if there's any bias in deciding who wins, it'll be the fact that Rooster Teeth is partners with Screw Attack so it's more likely Yang will win over Tifa even if Tifa is superior to Yang.

Which is fudging sad.

Avatar image for the_spanish_timquisition
the_spanish_timquisition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that Yang has a pretty good chance of winning a fair fight. If only because of one detail that people seem to miss when debating RWBY. Ruby's gun, that fires a .50 BMG round. For those of you unfamiliar with RWBY, guns are more of an annoyance than anything else, live-fire sparring is the norm, and it's more than likely that someone will fire as many shots toward their team for the recoil-assist as they fire at the opponent. This is important because it means that just about everyone could conceivably get hit by several bullet without being hurt. The bullets fired by Ruby's sniper rifle carry about 20,000 joules of energy(assuming we aren't talking about the cross-clips from the trailer, which would have orders of magnitude more), with a contact area of about 1 mm^2. This is equivalent to about 3000 psi. Put those two pieces of information together and we know that Yang could shrug off a hit more than capable of punching a hole through solid concrete as if it were a bug bite. This, by the way, is a minimum durability. In all likelihood she could survive much worse and only be slightly worse for wear. Tifa just isn't capable of hitting with enough force to break through Yang's defensive aura, where as Yang could just wear her down until she could just pin Tifa to the ground and put a few point-blank slugs into her eyes.

Avatar image for de-ouzhi-ninh-millimetuh
De-ouzhi-ninh-millimetuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Ruby can win this.

In advent children Tifa got severly winded by getting thrown through concrete. I fear for her well being.

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ryokuma100

I just hope they give logical reasoning and don't forget anything.

But I'm mostly excited about the animation. Are they doing animation Monty used, or will it be just a regular 3D battle?

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seem to acknowledge Tifa's game mechanic feats. She might win this.

Loading Video...

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40 TifaLockhart  Online

Not too familiar with Deathbattle, but what if they referenced the official guide and/or Kingdom Hearts?

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should do a samurai jack vs afro samurai deathbattle.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NuclearRebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1