DBZ/DC/Marvel bias Part 1

Warcry80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Warcry80

Part 1 Well where do I start? I know well it seems that there is a large bias on this site against DBZ when it comes to battles against Marvel/DC, especially the feats. I see in a lot of arguments that when DBZ/DC have similar showings or if DBZ has a more powerful showing it’s simply discredited; because 1. Batman didn’t say it, 2. A Narrator wasn’t there to confirm it, or 3. It didn’t have quantifiable numbers to back it up. If your wondering what I’m talking about well. Lets start here Speed: While it’s arguably true that in Speed lets say Superman is much faster than Goku in a strait line, unless Goku uses Instant Transmission. But I’m going to look at similar speed feats. On Panel Superman has been shown with multiple after images while fighting beings like Mongul, and while fighting Doomsday he vibrated his body so fast that Doomsday’s fist phased right through him. This feat by DC fans are used as feats for Superman having FTL reflexes. Now as for DBZ when Goku Pre Supersaiyin was fighting Burter and Jeice he actually moved so fast that it seemed that he was standing still, yet Burter and jeice’s attacks seems to pass right through him. Also when Goku was a child he created several after images using speed alone, and this became childs play to him by the time he was an adult, meaning it was easy. To add to that; when Vegeta was facing Majin Buu, he was moving so fast that he seemingly disappeared, and all we saw was impact dents hitting Buu’s body, but were no longer able to see Vegeta as he was striking Buu. This is constantly discredited by DC fans when used in battle as they continue to use the same exact type of feats to credit Superman with FTL reflexes.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AngryHulks

I want discuss this with you more, if you don't mind.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ximpossibrux
No Caption Provided

I'll leave this here for the inevitable storm. I'll get out while I can.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondave

@XImpossibruX:You could say he was just to intimidate his opponents

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AngryHulks

@XImpossibruX: We come in peace, lol.

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By McHotcakes

The thing about DBZ, and I say this as a fan of the show, is that it relies too much on hyperbole in order to tell a story. If everybody on the show started off at near god like power it doesn't leave very much room for them to go. I mean sure they were getting stronger throughout the show but we don't actually see that happen. I'll give an example, in the very first saga Vegeta blows up an entire planet without as much as a wave of his hand, and Piccolo destroys the moon without a second thought, yet in the Majin Buu saga its suddenly a big deal that Buu can blow up the planet ten times over, even though everyone seemed to be able to the exact same thing much earlier, when they were supposedly 100 times weaker. These characters are doing the same at the beginning of the show at the end, but it seems more powerful just because, well they say it is. There is no actual visual confirmation that the characters are any stronger then they were at the start of the series.

Where this fits in with the DC and Marvel universe is that, these two do not have to constantly increase the stakes by having every new villain be able to wipe out the galaxy by sneezing. Not everyone in these universe are godlike, so it makes the godlike powers of the bigger guys that much more credible. Its hard to distinguish a character's feats in a universe where everybody is the strongest warrior the universe has ever seen, which is the case when it comes to Dragon Ball Z.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AngryHulks

Yeah, the character's statement is less reliable than narrator's statement, and narrator's statement is not always true.

Thor and Hercules can move planet? They struggle with thousand tons! I hate the way English class always promote you to dramatize literary work with hyperbole.

No Caption Provided
GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Looking at DC they seem to add in a lot of silly (in my opinion) showings simply to back up the power of the character (i.e. Superman bench presses the world for 5 days straight, Flash carries the population of a city to safety from the explosion of a nuclear bomb in half a second, etc). These feats are quatifiable numerically, so it is always easier to argue in favor of something quatifiable rather than something not. For example, Goku trains with 40 ton weights, but it is implied that the DBZ heroes always train at lower power levels in order to better increase their upper levels rather than just max out and have to do something ridiculous (i.e. benchpress the planet or seriously hurt eachother in sparring matches). But again, this is something implied, not explicitly stated by a narrator or anything like that. Just my two cents.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngryHulks

@Warcry80: Still, that doesn't automatically put many DBZ characters above Superman, and the comics are generally more science-oriented, so they give a number. Superman have been displayed several times that he have nanosecond reflexes, and he's not only displayed combat speed, but perception speed as well such as detecting moving photons and speed learning. I have read a book from a author who also wrote Batman and Superman official handbook, he stated that Superman is not faster than light, but he "rocketed close to it."