#1 Posted by zebari (515 posts) - - Show Bio

darth maul vs luke skuwalker from ruturn of the jedi who wins

#2 Posted by King Saturn (222793 posts) - - Show Bio
Luke Skywalker easy. If Obi Wan Kenobi can handle Darth Maul... why not a Jedi thats superior to him in Skill ?
#3 Posted by lordraiden (6581 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Luke Skywalker easy. If Obi Wan Kenobi can handle Darth Maul... why not a Jedi thats superior to him in Skill ?"

Yeah, but in ROTJ, Luke was not really a master, untill the end of the movie till he acomplished his task, and even then, he'd only just started! Luke wasn't really that powerfull in ROTJ and was only trained for months by Yoda, which was dubious at best, running around in swamp lands on Dagobah doing jumps and sommersaults and learning to use the force to lift things! Last time I checked, it took years to get to master, and Luke only did it in such a short time, cause he was the last Jedi to carry the legacy! It really wasn't till years afte JOTJ that Luke hit his peak when he re-founded the Jedi order and surpassed Yoda himself and the previous Jedi who came before him! I don't believe Luke in ROTJ was all that powerfull, just lucky at that point cause he was part of a prophecy!
#4 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (29532 posts) - - Show Bio
lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:
"Luke Skywalker easy. If Obi Wan Kenobi can handle Darth Maul... why not a Jedi thats superior to him in Skill ?"

Yeah, but in ROTJ, Luke was not really a master, untill the end of the movie till he acomplished his task, and even then, he'd only just started! Luke wasn't really that powerfull in ROTJ and was only trained for months by Yoda, which was dubious at best, running around in swamp lands on Dagobah doing jumps and sommersaults and learning to use the force to lift things! Last time I checked, it took years to get to master, and Luke only did it in such a short time, cause he was the last Jedi to carry the legacy! It really wasn't till years afte JOTJ that Luke hit his peak when he re-founded the Jedi order and surpassed Yoda himself and the previous Jedi who came before him! I don't believe Luke in ROTJ was all that powerfull, just lucky at that point cause he was part of a prophecy!"

Well-said.
#5 Posted by King Saturn (222793 posts) - - Show Bio
lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

Yeah, but in ROTJ, Luke was not really a master, untill the end of the movie till he acomplished his task, and even then, he'd only just started! Luke wasn't really that powerfull in ROTJ and was only trained for months by Yoda, which was dubious at best, running around in swamp lands on Dagobah doing jumps and sommersaults and learning to use the force to lift things! Last time I checked, it took years to get to master, and Luke only did it in such a short time, cause he was the last Jedi to carry the legacy! It really wasn't till years afte JOTJ that Luke hit his peak when he re-founded the Jedi order and surpassed Yoda himself and the previous Jedi who came before him! I don't believe Luke in ROTJ was all that powerfull, just lucky at that point cause he was part of a prophecy!"
The Original Poster doesnt give an indication of what point in the film of Return of the Jedi we are using so we could say its Luke from the end of Return of the Jedi... and I personally consider the feat of beating Darth Vader greater than the feat of defeating Darth Maul. If Luke was skilled enough to battle with Darth Vader. A former Jedi who had defeated Count Dooku when he was Anakin. I gotta give him the nod
#6 Posted by lordraiden (6581 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

The Original Poster doesnt give an indication of what point in the film of Return of the Jedi we are using so we could say its Luke from the end of Return of the Jedi... and I personally consider the feat of beating Darth Vader greater than the feat of defeating Darth Maul. If Luke was skilled enough to battle with Darth Vader. A former Jedi who had defeated Count Dooku when he was Anakin. I gotta give him the nod"

Darth Vader at the end of ROTJ was not that great, he's a whitherd old man who's half a cyborg, moved slow and was at the end of his reigne/life, it's really not that much of a feat, and it was his son who did it, which, again, lends itself more to the prophecy, than pure skill/power on lukes part!
#7 Posted by zebari (515 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

The Original Poster doesnt give an indication of what point in the film of Return of the Jedi we are using so we could say its Luke from the end of Return of the Jedi... and I personally consider the feat of beating Darth Vader greater than the feat of defeating Darth Maul. If Luke was skilled enough to battle with Darth Vader. A former Jedi who had defeated Count Dooku when he was Anakin. I gotta give him the nod"

hold on if darth maul fights rotj luke than darth maul is older so hes a lot better than he was in episode 1 he knows how to do lightning if he fights rotj luke so he might have a chance
#8 Posted by King Saturn (222793 posts) - - Show Bio
I find it hard to believe that Darth Maul could handle Luke Skywalker at this point in his training as a Jedi... 
#9 Posted by zebari (515 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"I find it hard to believe that Darth Maul could handle Luke Skywalker at this point in his training as a Jedi... "

no lets say darth maul escaped from obi wan in epsode 1 and he was trainnig even more if he fights luke in rotj hes probably more powerful than vader and emperor combined
#10 Posted by King Saturn (222793 posts) - - Show Bio
zebari said:
"King Saturn said:
"I find it hard to believe that Darth Maul could handle Luke Skywalker at this point in his training as a Jedi... "

no lets say darth maul escaped from obi wan in epsode 1 and he was trainnig even more if he fights luke in rotj hes probably more powerful than vader and emperor combined"
I Dont Know... maybe
#11 Posted by zebari (515 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"zebari said:
"King Saturn said:

no lets say darth maul escaped from obi wan in epsode 1 and he was trainnig even more if he fights luke in rotj hes probably more powerful than vader and emperor combined"
I Dont Know... maybe"
if luke reaches his full rage he could probably take him
#12 Posted by lordraiden (6581 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:

Let me get this straight, King, you find it hard to believe that a young Luke barely out of  his teens, into his early twenties at best by ROTJ, who only had a few months training by Yoda on a deserted planet for a few months going up against a trained Sith Lord by none other than Sidious who's already taken out other Jedi/masters, has years more training and took out Black Sun all on his own, is gonna be worried that Luke has had more training in his few months he had with Yoda, as oposed to the training Maul had over the years with Sidious, and actual field combat he has aquired since then (taking out jedi, Black Sun etc)! And you think Luke has the upper hand??? Again, Luke was not a Jedi master in ROTJ, he had no where next to the experience or skill level of previous Jedi, he didn't aquire that till years after ROTJ, when he restarted the Jedi Acadamy! Unless Lucas is writing it, no pun intended, but Maul should maul Luk from ROTJ, but if if was Luke from Dark Empire, say, then it would be the other way around :-)
#13 Posted by Starkiller (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul would destroy the young Luke...

of course Luke later becomes the most powerful jedi ever...but in  Return of the Jedi he can't do sh!t....Darth Maul did well against the powerful Obi Wan/Qui Gon duo...and even killed Qui Gon who was one of the best ever...

Maul wins easy...
#14 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

yes, but DM wasnt a master either, nor was he that powerful. He was only defeated by Qui Gonn because he was able to lead him into an enclosed space, due to the differences in their Styles, Juu-yo for Maul, and Ataru for Qui Gonn, which is the same style Yoda used. Qui Gonn was stronger than Obi Wan, but his style held a weakness that they thought the sith didnt know, which is why the didnt teach it after his death.

So, Darth Maul in essence was considerably weaker than him, and still was defeated by his Padawan in a fit of rage because he wasnt smart enough to kill him when he could. Luke also was not one of the power houses of the series until after the end of the series, I can agree with that, but I still think that he could pull off a win here.
#15 Posted by King Saturn (222793 posts) - - Show Bio
lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

Let me get this straight, King, you find it hard to believe that a young Luke barely out of  his teens, into his early twenties at best by ROTJ, who only had a few months training by Yoda on a deserted planet for a few months going up against a trained Sith Lord by none other than Sidious who's already taken out other Jedi/masters, has years more training and took out Black Sun all on his own, is gonna be worried that Luke has had more training in his few months he had with Yoda, as oposed to the training Maul had over the years with Sidious, and actual field combat he has aquired since then (taking out jedi, Black Sun etc)! And you think Luke has the upper hand??? Again, Luke was not a Jedi master in ROTJ, he had no where next to the experience or skill level of previous Jedi, he didn't aquire that till years after ROTJ, when he restarted the Jedi Acadamy! Unless Lucas is writing it, no pun intended, but Maul should maul Luk from ROTJ, but if if was Luke from Dark Empire, say, then it would be the other way around :-)"
Okay well since you put it like that... maybe Luke Skywalker isnt that powerful then. 
#16 Posted by Tenjin (1594 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere Vader actually fought Maul's doppleganger and destroyed him?

#17 Posted by Darth Balls (691 posts) - - Show Bio

vaders win hurt alot he stabbed through himself  to stab maul .not an easy win.

#18 Posted by lordraiden (6581 posts) - - Show Bio
Darth Balls said:
"vaders win hurt alot he stabbed through himself  to stab maul .not an easy win."

Tenjin said:
"I read somewhere Vader actually fought Maul's doppleganger and destroyed him?"
Yeah, Star Wars Tales #9, I believe!
#19 Posted by Rdeegvainl (775 posts) - - Show Bio
zebari said:
"King Saturn said:
"lordraiden said:
"King Saturn said:

hold on if darth maul fights rotj luke than darth maul is older so hes a lot better than he was in episode 1 he knows how to do lightning if he fights rotj luke so he might have a chance"
You can't just assume they would learn things. That isn't how it goes. Besides, maul would be pretty old, and probably be on the way out the door. I mean, Vader was quite old in ROTJ and was just a child when maul was an adult.
#20 Edited by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

This is a very even fight. Luke and Maul are roughly even in Force Speed, I believe. Luke has moved his lightsaber fast enough to weave "curtains," produce afterimages, deflect fire from around a dozen enemies, deflect AT-ST blaster bolts, etc. Maul has very similar showings, having constructed "webs" and "shields" out the blurring motions of his lightsaber blade and reacted quickly enough to reflect fire from a company of about twenty enemies. In movement speed, they should be roughly equal as well, both having run imperceptibly fast. In perception speed, Luke has superior showings, having reacted to/seen in slow motion TIE Fighters that were flying at sublight speed, seen Guri (who is superhumanly fast) in slow motion, and saw his phantasmal vision of Darth Vader in the Dark Side Cave on Dagobah in slow motion as well. Maul at best was able to perceive practice droids which could throw nearly invisibly fast attacks in slow motion. As a whole, I think Luke has a few feats that Maul has never demonstrated (generating afterimages or reacting to ships flying at sizable fractions of light speed), but I think I can safely assume that Maul could conceivably perform comparable feats if placed in those situations (and even if Luke was faster, which I doubt, the difference would be minimal enough not to matter). In physical strength, Luke is noticeably greater. He has done hand stands on one finger with Yoda on his upturned feet and carried Vader on his back while injured by Palpatine's Lightning. As a Djem So adept, strength is more pertinent for him than it is for Maul. In physical resilience, Maul has Luke outclassed though. He has withstood Force Lightning from a Nightsister, falling thirty (IIIRC) meters, and being hurled back by a speeder's repulsors without any discernible injury. Of course, his durability may not matter as much in a straight fight because Luke's lightsaber could certainly pierce through him, but it might be useful on the off chance Luke employs a telekinetic power. 

In Force power, both have abilities the other has never displayed (such as gravity control for Maul or a variety of telepathic powers for Luke), but all of them are largely useless in a fight. Telekinetically, I might give Luke an edge. He has used his TK to manipulate bombs/machines on all corners of Cloud City and support AT-STs. Maul has shattered doors and used his TK as a battering ram to hurl people away as he ran through Coruscant's streets (which tend to be fairly populated). Luke and Maul have each shown Lightsaber Throw before as well. Part of the problem with this however is that Maul has only been shown utilizing his Telekinesis on a few occasions, which limits the feats accomplished with it. It is worth noting that none of the feats he managed required much effort on his part though. Now, neither of them rely on their TK in the midst of a duel very frequently; so it is plausible that this may never become an issue. If it does, it would definitely not alter the course of the fight by a huge degree. 

Lightsaber proficiency is the most important factor here, and I honestly have no idea which is actually better. Luke was a perfect equal to Vader and later went on to beat Lumiya (albeit with a shoto and a lightsaber form outside of his standard) and stalemated Flint without too much interest in the fight (both of those were done after RotJ, but I doubt Luke's lightsaber skill increased by a significant margin in a matter of weeks). Maul has beaten Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anoon Bondara, and Darsha Assant. If anything, I may grant Luke an advantage simply because I think Vader is a better swordsman than anyone Maul has engaged before (Maul fought Vader once, but he seemed to be amped by the fortress' dark side energies). If Luke is better, it would be marginal. On the other hand, Maul will be fighting him with a type of lightsaber and a form of combat that Luke is unfamiliar with. He has never fought a Juyo adept or a foe with a twin bladed lightsaber. As a point to his credit, Luke did fight against Lumiya who came at him with a lightwhip. He lost the first round, but that came at least partially on account of his unpreparedness. And I would think a lightwhip would be a more complex weapon to deal with than a dual bladed lightsaber. Maul's style will be unrelentingly aggressive, but Luke, as a Djem So duelist, might be able to compensate for that since Djem So is designed to be a potent defensive style that returns very effective and powerful counter strokes. He does know Ataru as well, if he wanted to attempt an aggressive form in turn. 

All things considered, this is too close to call. I believe this could be a 5/10 either way. The two are just too even.