• 139 results
#1 Edited by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

Settings

• Maul has basic prior knowledge.. Midnighter doesn't really need it, but he has it as well anyway
  • In character, morals on
  • Standard gear, no doors
  • Midnighters weapons are made from Phrik for this fight, so they won't be cut by Maul's lightsaber
  • Random encounter, no prep time
  • Since I don't know the ins and outs of Midnighters different versions (Wildstorm, New 52) just use whichever one is most fair, or let me know and I'll edit the OP
  • Fight to the death, KO or incapacitation

Location - Mustafar

Start 25 feet apart on a platform - fight can go anywhere from there

Round 1

TPM Maul. Saberstaff.

Round 2

TCW Maul. Saberstaff + Darksaber as backup.

Who takes it?

#2 Posted by reaverlation (16003 posts) - - Show Bio

Being in character might hold back Midnighter as he likes to play with his food.I'll still side Midnighter though

#3 Posted by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by dondave (37971 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords Midnighter actually needs some weapons so that his Staffs aren't cut trying to fight Maul.

#5 Posted by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: We'll say his staffs are made out of Phrik, and can't be cut by hitting Maul's lightsaber.

#6 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with Midnighter.

#7 Edited by dondave (37971 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh, then I'd say Midnighter could take it if it was a pure battle of saber combat. I doubt Maul is going to hamper him with his speed and Midnighter could just dismember him.

However, with things like Force Push and Force Choke, Maul can take a relatively easy win.

#8 Posted by dimitridkatsis (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't Midnighter have the ability to scan the opponent's skills/powers, run the fight in his mind and hit him without even being seen? Now he also has weapons that can block a lightsaber? Midnighter all the way.

#9 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

I'll go with Midnighter.

#10 Edited by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Ehh, then I'd say Midnighter could take it if it was a pure battle of saber combat. I doubt Maul is going to hamper him with his speed and Midnighter could just dismember him.

However, with things like Force Push and Force Choke, Maul can take a relatively easy win.

My thoughts too, the thing is that Maul doesn't really often utilize Offensive force in his fighting style. He's more focused on physical conditioning, Saber swordsplay and martial arts skills, with Force augmentation to round things off. Midnighter has faced at the very least, just as skilled swordfighters, and has the speed to compete with Maul. And if the battle was to somehow break off into H2H physical combat, Midnighter would win everytime.

#11 Edited by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (42816 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: @dccomicsrule2011: @laflux: Does the fact Maul also has precognition not change anything? It'd certainly even things out in my mind. Also, where would you guys place Midnighter in terms of skill? Maul's got pretty impressive credentials himself.

How would the fight itself play out? I'd think Midnighter would be hard pressed to win while Maul is still armed. If he can disarm Maul, he'd be in a position to win.

@laflux said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@laflux said:

I'll go with Midnighter.

*fist bumps*

Midnighter nut huggers.

LOL

#14 Posted by dondave (37971 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux Ehh, I wouldn't say it's out of the question for him to use his Force abilities. Force Choke is something he's like using, as seen in his many battles with Kenobi. Also the size of the battlefield is pretty limited, it wouldn't be unlikely for Maul to just Force Push him into the lava below.

#15 Posted by tomlikesfries (4679 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnighter has this in the bag as long the fight is limited to swordplay and skill. Otherwise, Maul has a fair chance with TK.

#16 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Midnighter's Battle Computer has been able to run down the how wars go down to a tea, with the accompanying news reports on them. He's been able to predict the entire course of day just before he starts it. I am aware of Maul's Precog, but its far beyond the capabilities of himself and most Force-Sensitives for that matter.

The Battle Computer gives him the ability to combat against skill, with its advanced precognition and mapping out paths to victory. Not that he isn't skilled himself without it, as he has been seen learning Martial arts styles by himself though. He's gone tit for tat with Zealot, a highly skilled metahuman with 3000 years of combat experience- head of clan which actually use combat as a language, and beat her. This is while he had batons, and she was wielding creation blades IIRC (which can cut through pretty much anything). Not only did he win the fight, but its actually one of his lower end showings.

#17 Edited by Iragexcudder (5049 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh this is good.. If Maul and Midnight both go for the straight kill I'd say Midnighter but due to its in - character then Maul would win..

#18 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@laflux Ehh, I wouldn't say it's out of the question for him to use his Force abilities. Force Choke is something he's like using, as seen in his many battles with Kenobi. Also the size of the battlefield is pretty limited, it wouldn't be unlikely for Maul to just Force Push him into the lava below.

Yeah maybe I was bit heavy handed . Since Clone Wars, he's actually used it quite a bit against Kenobi true. I think he will use it, but I don't think its something that he'll tend to go to straight away, which give Midnighter the opportunity.

#19 Posted by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: His precog is better, but Maul being able to see what Midnighter does before he does it does make things a bit more.. convoluted. Lol. Precog paradox.

Maul, IMO, is a better fighter than Zealot based on what I've seen of her so far. And apart from kicking a tank shell, I haven't seen Midnighter do anything along the lines of being able to kill 5 beings in the flicker of an eyelash, forming a web of afterimages, being able to strike at such rates he appears to be everywhere at once simultaneously, ect.

Although him basically prolonging a fight with Zealot for nothing more than sport (because he likes fighting) is a very good feat. I think this would make for quite a decent CAV actually. I'll stop arguing in my own thread for now.. but I may try and seek out an opponent for this match up.

#20 Posted by dimitridkatsis (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

The way i've heard it jedi/sith pregocnition is more like a reflex meaning Maul could sense an attack and block it in time. Why wouldn't Midnighter be able to scan that ability and already play this possibility in a fight in his mind, why can't he just fake an attack and deliver an effective blow, and another, and another.....? Midnighter wins i say.

#21 Edited by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

The way i've heard it jedi/sith pregocnition is more like a reflex meaning Maul could sense an attack and block it in time. Why wouldn't Midnighter be able to scan that ability and already play this possibility in a fight in his mind, why can't he just fake an attack and deliver an effective blow, and another, and another.....? Midnighter wins i say.

Well Maul's precog would let him see Midnighter pulling off a feint, rather than Maul playing into the hands of one.

#22 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: His precog is better, but Maul being able to see what Midnighter does before he does it does make things a bit more.. convoluted. Lol. Precog paradox.

Maul, IMO, is a better fighter than Zealot based on what I've seen of her so far. And apart from kicking a tank shell, I haven't seen Midnighter do anything along the lines of being able to kill 5 beings in the flicker of an eyelash, forming a web of afterimages, being able to strike at such rates he appears to be everywhere at once simultaneously, ect.

Although him basically prolonging a fight with Zealot for nothing more than sport (because he likes fighting) is a very good feat. I think this would make for quite a decent CAV actually. I'll stop arguing in my own thread for now.. but I may try and seek out an opponent for this match up.

Without his Battle-computer he's tagged a speedster that was blitzing Stormwatch. He's taken down Continent Busters + like Maul using pressure points, used tactical strikes to cut off the blood flow to Winter's brain (who is of a even higher paygrade). He's beaten up Jack Hawksmoor in a fight, who is an effortless bulltet-timer, 60 plus tonner who can tank nukes. So yeah his H2H combat feats are pretty good.

#23 Posted by Wolverine08 (42816 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@i_like_swords said:

Without his Battle-computer he's tagged a speedster that was blitzing Stormwatch. He's taken down Continent Busters + like Maul using pressure points, used tactical strikes to cut off the blood flow to Winter's brain (who is of a even higher paygrade). He's beaten up Jack Hawksmoor in a fight, who is an effortless bulltet-timer, 60 plus tonner who can tank nukes. So yeah his H2H combat feats are pretty good.

Midnighter nut hugger.

#24 Posted by BeaconofStrength (5605 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna go with Maul, but not too sure.

#25 Edited by dimitridkatsis (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah? Just like he was ready for Obi Wan jumping over him force-snatching Qui Gonn's lightsaber and cutting him in half?

#26 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Its funny because when I first came into contact with Midnighter, I hated him (partly because of the fact he could beat Spider-Man). But I read some authority issues at my local library and actually ended up liking him.

Also given Midnighter's sexuality I think he'd like me hugging his nuts lol :P

#27 Posted by Wolverine08 (42816 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@wolverine08: Its funny because when I first came into contact with Midnighter, I hated him (partly because of the fact he could beat Spider-Man). But I read some authority issues at my local library and actually ended up liking him.

I wish I could have met you when you were a hardcore Spider nut hugger.

#28 Edited by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah? Just like he was ready for Obi Wan jumping over him force-snatching Qui Gonn's lightsaber and cutting him in half?

Aaaaand there goes any credibility you had.

#29 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

Brah, you can barely handle me now. I would have succinctly driven you insane :P

#30 Posted by dimitridkatsis (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on man how far better did he get in clone wars. He lost again to Obi Wan and his brother was helping him. He had trouble defeating that military leader one on one. What else is new?

#31 Posted by Wolverine08 (42816 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@wolverine08 said:

@laflux said:

Brah, you can barely handle me now. I would have succinctly driven you insane :P

I bet I would have owned you in a debate though! That would leave you real salty!

#32 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on man how far better did he get in clone wars. He lost again to Obi Wan and his brother was helping him. He had trouble defeating that military leader one on one. What else is new?

1) Maul has stomped Obi-Wan in the Force in the past and even gained the upper-hand in their first duel.

2) Vizsla is a walking PIS machine. He had no business lasting that long against someone who throws dozens of invisibly fast blows in seconds.

#33 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I didn't start debating seriously (like CaV's and stuff) until I got rid of alot of my fanboyism. I was actually around for 5 months being a bit of an As*hole in battle threads, before taking a 2 month break for exams and stuff. I came back, and was alot better.

There is basicially 3 versions of me

First 5 months- Annoying, Butthurt, Spider-Fan boy

7-12/14 months- Much better debater, more even handed, and actually quite nice and friendly about the forums

Since then- Mischief Causing Troll.

#34 Edited by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@dimitridkatsis said:

1. He actually defeated Obi-Wan during The Phantom Menace. Obi-Wan was only able to kill him through a plot device. If Obi-Wan had died the whole plot would have fallen apart. Maul was cheapshotted because he was "arrogant" but he actually won the duel itself. I can go into further detail about the whole situation but that's all you really need to understand.
  2. He has never lost a duel to Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan temporarily outlasted Maul and Savage on Florrum, and injured Savage. He didn't beat Maul. Maul hurled him away with the Force because his plan had failed and Savage was injured. The fight was entirely inconclusive.
  3. Maul actually beat Obi-Wan during TCW animation, on the Turtle Tanker, in direct 1v1 combat. Obi-Wan says himself "we're outmatched" and escapes.
  4. Pre Vizsla is a character littered with CIS that nobody takes seriously. He fought evenly with Maul and Obi-Wan but got owned by Ahsoka Tano, and, a featless clone with no experience with a lightsaber? His feats are all over the place. Regardless - Maul beat him in pure physical combat whereas Vizsla spammed out every weapon in his arsenal and still lost.
  5. Your attempt at lowballing Maul has seriously failed. If you're not going to heed my advice (someone who has seen every single one of Maul's EU appearances barring one short story), and plan to continue this lowballing, I'm going to pass you off as a troll and ignore you. Up to you.
#35 Posted by Whirlwind_33 (1590 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

2) Vizsla is a walking PIS machine. He had no business lasting that long against someone who throws dozens of invisibly fast blows in seconds.

1. Pre Vizsla is a character littered with PIS that nobody takes seriously. He fought evenly with Maul and Obi-Wan but got owned by Ahsoka Tano, and, a featless clone with no experience with a lightsaber? His feats are all over the place. Regardless - Maul beat him in pure physical combat whereas Vizsla spammed out every weapon in his arsenal and still lost.

Its Star Wars TCW trying to give Non-Sensitives a chance against Force Weildiers. I literally signed aloud when Ashoka, two years into being Anakin's padawan, got captured by pirates, when 2 years earlier, just getting started as one, she beat three magnaguards by herself..

#37 Posted by dimitridkatsis (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey i might hate the prequels but i recognized Maul's ability to take down T-1000 in that other topic, you were there too i'm not trolling anybody. I'm saying what i'm saying based to what i know and what i know is that the Midnighter has taken on an army of super people and came out on top. Now between that and the way the fight is set my opinion is the same.

#38 Edited by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Even Maul being hit by pirate gunfire is ridiculous, seeing as when he was thirteen, during his training, he purposely let blaster bolts hit him in order to keep up his identity as non-force sensitive. He has effortlessly ran through and dodged hails of blaster fire and deflected them before but a dozen or so pirates can tag him? Ridiculous.

TCW is just really unreliable when discussing the EU in general.

#39 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@i_like_swords said:

1. Pre Vizsla is a character littered with PIS that nobody takes seriously. He fought evenly with Maul and Obi-Wan but got owned by Ahsoka Tano, and, a featless clone with no experience with a lightsaber? His feats are all over the place. Regardless - Maul beat him in pure physical combat whereas Vizsla spammed out every weapon in his arsenal and still lost.

Its Star Wars TCW trying to give Non-Sensitives a chance against Force Weildiers. I literally signed aloud when Ashoka, two years into being Anakin's padawan, got captured by pirates, when 2 years earlier, just getting started as one, she beat three magnaguards by herself..

True. Even though I sorta enjoy TCW, there is way to many WTF moments in it.

For instance, Cad Bane only beat Ahsoka via sneeky tactics, one moment, but in the next, he's taken it to Obi-Wan? Seriously? -_-

#40 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Even Maul being hit by pirate gunfire is ridiculous, seeing as when he was thirteen, during his training, he purposely let blaster bolts hit him in order to keep up his identity as non-force sensitive. He has effortlessly ran through and dodged hails of blaster fire and deflected them before but a dozen or so pirates can tag him? Ridiculous.

TCW is just really unreliable when discussing the EU in general.

True, but it doesn't help that some characters, like Plo Koon, have most of their feats on the said show....

#41 Posted by i_like_swords (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Guys like Plo could have used a solo novel or something. I'd buy it.

#42 Edited by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Guys like Plo could have used a solo novel or something. I'd buy it.

Seeing that the cannonity of his time period isn't being affected, it more likely than with some other characters. Kinda trivial, but I always found how cool it was that he could use lightning.....

#43 Posted by ShootingNova (17800 posts) - - Show Bio

For instance, Cad Bane only beat Ahsoka via sneeky tactics

It seems like he was just trying to find a way to electrocute her.

#44 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

For instance, Cad Bane only beat Ahsoka via sneeky tactics

It seems like he was just trying to find a way to electrocute her.

I get that, maybe I should have worded it a bit better.

My point still stands though, Cad Bane should last no longer then 2 seconds against Obi-Wan in close quarters combat.

#45 Posted by ShootingNova (17800 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I could see Midnighter winning, though.

#46 Edited by ShootingNova (17800 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: That fight was filled with PIS, CIS and WIS.

Indeed. I could go on and on about the many inconsistencies of TCW, but that would be way to off-topic.

#48 Posted by ShootingNova (17800 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

TPM version wouldn't use his offensive powers very much, if at all. TCW version would use them more often, but still usually only as a last resort. Also, I doubt any iteration would attempt to win via TK BFR.

#49 Edited by Wyldsong (5596 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@wolverine08: I didn't start debating seriously (like CaV's and stuff) until I got rid of alot of my fanboyism. I was actually around for 5 months being a bit of an As*hole in battle threads, before taking a 2 month break for exams and stuff. I came back, and was alot better.

There is basicially 3 versions of me

First 5 months- Annoying, Butthurt, Spider-Fan boy

7-12/14 months- Much better debater, more even handed, and actually quite nice and friendly about the forums

Since then- Mischief Causing Troll.

Lol...many of us have gone through some form of this=)

I hate seeing my posts from my early days on this site...

#50 Posted by dondave (37971 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova Ehh, if Maul see's a river of Lava below I doubt it wouldn't cross his mind to just send Midnighter into it.