malgus wins this 8/10

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ShootingNova

Maul in a close fight if it's TPM, Maul almost every time if it's TCW.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maul

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lukegreensaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus wins he will cut the saber staff in half reducing maul to a single blade. Next mauls unarmed combat skills will help alot with the single blade punching and kicking malgus will leave malgus getting frustrated during force assisted jumping attacks that's when i believe malgus force rage and affinity will boost malgus force powers to kill maul during technical exchanges malgus force pushes maul into those giant statues and applies for scream to bring those giant statues down on maul. Malgus force powers will prevail over mauls lightsaber skills. Malgus takes the majority 6 1/2 out of 10.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By WastelandMan

Maul. In The Clone Wars he became far more powerful than he was in his movie incarnation. He even held his own against Sidious though Palpatine was toying with him most of the time but still.

Intrepid37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Intrepid37

Malgus is more powerful, but I think Maul might be faster and slightly more skilled with a lightsaber. It could go both ways.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TPM Maul: Malgus in a small majority

TCW Maul: Possibly Maul

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus. A true Sith Master. More powerful.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Close fight, sabrewise Maul, forcewise Malgus

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this is a super close one. I agree with most. TPM Maul, Malgus takes it. But TCW Maul, Malgus barely loses. But damnit if it isn't close as all hell!

I think Maul's biggest feat is that towards the end of their duel, Sidious and he were going toe-to-toe at least for a few saber exchanges. The question then lies ... do we think Malgus would perform similarly?

I don't know. It could go Malgus' way as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@shootingnova said:

Still this, although I see the potential for Malgus to stalemate TPM Maul.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus only might just stalemate TPM Maul.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one is tough.

Physical - I believe this would go Maul because of his complete master of Teras Kasi which was designed for non-Force users. His use of it would only heightened his abilitiy.

Force - I think this goes to Malgus. Maul's M.O. has always been his physical abilities, probably the reason why he never learned Force lightning.

Dueling - They are pretty much equal. Malgus favoring strength and Maul being very speedy.

This is a toughy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dueling - They are pretty much equal. Malgus favoring strength and Maul being very speedy.

Malgus is not equal with Maul in dueling skill at all. Maul is the clear superior. Malgus's more apparent usage of strength amounts to little considering Maul's rivaling strength feats. By contrast, Maul is more skilful, martially applicable, and faster. Malgus being more powerful is his only apparent edge, and that only stands against TPM Maul. Now, this is TPM Maul, as the OP seemed to indicate, but by all means, Malgus could probably only stalemate him at best. Malgus has more durability and pain tolerance, but only to a minor extent and this should be more negligible than anything else. It would only serve to prolong the fight, and stamina is hardly going to be an issue here.

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/black-manta-ocean-master-aqualad-vs-batman-mera-st-1574126/

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus.

Theorder14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Maul.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By silentbat

@shootingnova said:
@silentbat said:

Malgus is not equal with Maul in dueling skill at all. Maul is the clear superior. Malgus's more apparent usage of strength amounts to little considering Maul's rivaling strength feats. By contrast, Maul is more skilful, martially applicable, and faster. Malgus being more powerful is his only apparent edge, and that only stands against TPM Maul. Now, this is TPM Maul, as the OP seemed to indicate, but by all means, Malgus could probably only stalemate him at best. Malgus has more durability and pain tolerance, but only to a minor extent and this should be more negligible than anything else. It would only serve to prolong the fight, and stamina is hardly going to be an issue here.

What attributes of Maul give him a decisive advantage over Malgus is regards to their dueling abilities? Neither had tactical insight that outweighed the other. They were both smart fighters. Malgus had strength but he was not a one-minded bull.

Malgus has fought against skillful opponents as well, notably Ven Zallow, but more notably, Kao Cen Darach, who could implement Jark'Kai with a standard and double bladed staff at once. He was also able to outdo Aryn Leneer and Satale Shan's finesse and speed. Thus, I do not think he has much issue with skillful or speedy opponents.

Perhaps what Maul brings to the table, that no other opponent of Malgus has brought, is his experience with teräs käsi. But even that ability of Maul's would not be a deal breaker against Malgus. Malgus could take a punch or two without as much as a wince, as evidence by his fight with Ven Zallow in Deceived:

"Eschewing speed and grace for power, Zallow loosed a flurry of rapid strikes, slashes, and lunges. Malgus parried one blow after another but could not find an opening to mount his own counterattack. Lunging forward, Zallow slashed crosswise, Malgus parried, and Zallow slammed the hilt of his saber into the side of Malgus's jaw.

A tooth dislodged and his respirator was knocked askew. Malgus tasted blood, but he was too deep in the Force for the blow to do real damage. He staggered backward a step, as if the blow had stunned him.

Seeing an opening, Zallow stepped forward and crosscut for Malgus's throat.

As Malgus knew he would do.

Malgus turned his blade vertical to parry the blow and spun out of the blade lock. Reversing his lightsaber during the spin, he rode it into a stab that pierced Zallow's abdomen and came out the other side."

Deceived: Star Wars (The Old Republic)

So any of the punches Maul could unleash would not unseat Malgus entirely. But same goes for Malgus. Anything he unleashes against Maul would be superficial.

I don't see anything that Maul has done that would make him clearly superior, especially when Malgus has showcased ingenuity against skillful users. And if ingenuity doesn't work he could just powered through like this:

Loading Video...

Though I don't think his Jar'Kai tactics in this video would be able to power through Maul's defenses. Still, it would keep them at par.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silentbat:

1. Greater feats in speed, skill and martial capacity.

2. Malgus's durability was never questioned, only his skill, in which he is plainly inferior - not exponentially, but still obviously. For all intents and purposes, Ven Zallow has no showings aside from slaying fodder, so whilst defeating him is a decent feat on Malgus's part, it isn't so overwhelming. Kao is more skilful a combatant and more impressive, and the fact that Malgus did defeat him before his prime adds to the feat, but at the same time, he was seemingly amped by Force rage and Kao may have been somewhat fatigued, and these should be the only logical answers as to how Malgus won since earlier in the fight, Kao outfought both Malgus and Vindican. As a showing, this is decent enough, although neither Malgus nor Vindican were overly impressive as per this period, but Darach's capacity to fight with a doublesaber and a regular saber at once is somewhat impressive, although, to be fair, he ended up deactivating one of Satele's blades for most of the fight anyways.

3. Defeating Satele Shan nor Aryn Leneer is not impressive. Leneer is virtually featless and still took considerable time in winning, not to mention the second time in which Malgus won via Lightning, not skill. If anything, Malgus being before and his prime and tremendously wounded, and holding somewhat of an advantage over a Jedi in The Third Lesson is a better feat than holding an advantage against Leneer. As for Satele, she displayed no impressive dueling feats at all up to and of those times, and even afterwards her dueling skill was only relatively mediocre in comparison to most notable combatants. She is a notable Force user, but not a notable duelist. Holding a noticeable edge over them isn't unimpressive, but it isn't very impressive in its own right either.

4. By contrast, Maul has beaten Qui-Gon whilst injured, and sources have listed Qui-Gon as one of the most skilled Jedi in the history of the Order, in addition to his other feats such as beating Anoon Bondara and being a peer of Mace Windu. Maul's ability to hold the advantage against both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at once is a showing that eclipses anything Malgus has shown.

Maul also held a considerable edge over Bondara as well, and Bondara is likely the Battlemaster just as Kao Cen Darach was. Bondara lacks notable feats, but he does hold significant reserves of technical skill and knowledge, so beating him is at least as good as beating Zallow, but this is hardly Maul's best showing anyways.

The only realistic method for Malgus to win is via sheer power expenditure, and whether that would afford him a majority is questionable.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: As they say speed kills. If Maul could get in a quick decapitation or stab, there is nothing Malgus could do about it.

I'm trying to think of the specific scenario between these two.

I think they would open up brawling, but Maul would get the upperhand on Malgus with his skill in Teräs Käsi. However his hand to hand exchanges wouldn't widdle Malgus down fast enough, as his pain threshold is ridiculous. Still, in frustration, Malgus would unleash Force lightning, which Maul may or may not block. Even if he doesn't and he is hit with it we have seen him withstand Force lightning before. I think he could break from the lightning's hold and re-engage with Malgus. I suppose you are right, Maul is more likely to win but it would be an awfully close match up.

Malgus' only card against Maul would be his strength. I don't think he could outsmart Maul with a feint like he did with Zallow and I'm not even sure he could straight up power through him. Plus, Malgus has shown some issue with speed duelist as he did with Zallow and Leneer.

You know something ... I think I've convinced myself Maul would win this. What would Malgus fall back on if he could not power through or outsmart Maul? TPM Maul he might have been able to outsmart, as he was very overconfident, but CW Maul had some humility and was a much smarter fighter.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ShootingNova

@silentbat: TPM Maul is equally capable a tactician in combat as TCW Maul.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silentbat:

TPM Maul he might have been able to outsmart, as he was very overconfident, but CW Maul had some humility and was a much smarter fighter.

The thing with Maul's overconfidence isn't that it loses him battles though. He thinks he is better than he actually is, but this doesn't make him any worse of a fighter. He has supreme confidence when going into a fight with just about anyone, and this confidence would only serve to aid him. He still fights as efficiently as feasibly possible against any opponent to gain the victory. He would never play with an opponent. He just goes straight for the kill.

Well... that was before he was "killed off" in TPM. But taking his other stories into account, that doesn't make sense. It's far more plausible that Maul would just send Kenobi soaring down the reactor shaft, and then report his great victory back to Sidious in the hope of receiving some kind of praise. Instead he leaves Kenobi dangling, creates sparks with his lightsaber like a caveman just discovering fire, and then fails to ignite his lightsaber to counter Kenobi leaping over him, landing, and then cutting him in half. I don't see how he could become so slow reflex-wise after anticipating and dodging/blocking simultaneous assaults from Kenobi and Qui-Gon.

But yeah.. Maul is overconfident but it realistically has only ever aided him.

And you're right, in CW-era Maul is a complete genius. Especially after reading Son of Dathomir 1&2. I'd say he still has some of the same overconfidence in his abilities but I don't think it should hinder him too much.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By silentbat

@shootingnova: Besides his fight with Jinn and Kenobi, what are some of his other tactical feats?

Not to mention, Malgus has more combat experience through a wartime effort.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Besides his fight with Jinn and Kenobi, what are some of his other tactical feats?

During his first fight with Qui-Gon Jinn, after Jinn blocked his first strike, Maul decided he did not want to be predictable, so in seconds, he threw away his entire usual fight-strategy and replaced it with a new one. I'd say as a tactical feat it's pretty good. Being able to completely change your fight plan in mere seconds for the sake of unpredictability shows a lot of knowledge, skill and adaptability.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ShootingNova

@silentbat:

1. That showing is good enough. His opponents lacked the ability to do anything about his leading them into the pit room. His tactical versatility shouldn't be discounted, either. He trains himself in endless tactics, essentially as to the point where, whilst he does favor certain tactics, he is capable of entirely throwing them away in favor of other tactics more suitable to the situation.

2. Irrelevant. Nobody Malgus ever fought had even tactical capacity approachable to that of Maul's, and none of this helped Malgus acquire anything else. By objective accolades, Maul is one of the most highly trained, skilled, and dangerous Sith in the history of the entire galaxy. Combative experience is almost entirely irrelevant unless facing an inexperienced opponent, which is certainly not the case here. Maul has his own share of facing other Force users and Jedi as well, and the Jedi he fought were more pronounced duelists than Malgus's opponents, with the possible exception of Darach, who is still too limited in appearances and feats for effective judgment to made.

Faymousinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: God dangit, Swords. Can I call you Swords? Ok, Swords.

Stop quoting yourself :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faymousinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@whirlwind_33 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@shootingnova said:

@i_like_swords said:

@whirlwind_33 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@shootingnova said:

@shootingnova said:

This, this is what im talking 'bout...Swords.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@faymousinus: Lol. I just like to keep you guys updated on my opinions on fights.

Faymousinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The feat with Siolo'urmanka is good but not exactly what Maul does on regular occasion. He had to cheapshot in that fight because he had lost.

He might opt to reveal his other blade later, but that would be irrelevant given how much practice Malgus has with and against saberstaffs.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus loses even against TPM Maul.

Void_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malgus wins. They both fight in essentially the same way but Malgus is more durable, physically stronger and arguably has more variety in force abilities and potentially raw power. Maul might have an edge in hand to hand combat but it doesn't really matter tbh.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul probably

Avatar image for deactivated-5f52e354205ba
deactivated-5f52e354205ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necromancer76: @richard96: Why would Malgus lose? In a raw power contest, he's noticeably above (narrowly losing to a strike team of the Republic or Empire's best, including Barsen'thor + HoT, the latter of whom is more powerful than Revan Reborn and co at this stage, and the former of whom is far more powerful than Lord Vivicar, or more powerful than the First Son who has a shielding feat on par or greater than that of Sidious', or Wrath II and Nox, the latter of whom is oneshot tiers above Spirit Kallig who dominates thousands of slaves with TP casually, and the former of whom is far, far more powerful than Traya via Baras scaling, and is above Act 2 Nox because he was chosen over them as wrath). As a saber combatant he has feats against the strike team I've mentioned, plus he's also taken out the likes of Ven Zallow (who's definitely >>> Hope Satele who's shattering saber blades), and has other saber accolades.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul is practically better at everything.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_buddha_: Because Maul has a vast speed advantage. Before Malgus can use his force powers, Maul would reach him to engage in a duel, in which he would prevail.

Also, HoT isn't greater than Revan the Returned. Not until he has parity with Ziost Vitiate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necromancer76: What? The HoT as of Act 3 is far superior to Revan Reborn (novel), lol. Also, Maul's speed is a result of augmentation, but Malgus has better raw power and therefore speed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: Why? See my post above (your original one) for reasoning.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_buddha_:

Why?

Because Maul is by far a superior duelist to Malgus, along with a force advantage. And Reborn Revan isn't Novel Revan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: Why does Maul have a force advantage, or a dueling advantage (I believe the latter, not the former. Revan Reborn is novel Revan though (“I am Revan reborn, and before me, you are nothing”).

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_buddha_:

Why does Maul have a force advantage

Because he has better feats.

or a dueling advantage

Because he's fought opponents superior to Malgus.

Revan Reborn is novel Revan though

Reborn Revan is Revan as of Shadow of Revan, not the novel. That's common knowledge.