Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By steelhound56

Darth Malgus vs Darth Bane

Bane is in his Dynasty of Evil incarnation

Malgus can use feats from any novels where he makes an appearance (Deceived, comics etc.)

Starting Distance: 10 meters

Fight to the death

Round 1

Lightsabers only.

Round 2

Force Battle

Round 3

All out fight

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Who comes out on top?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By nefarious

Darth Bane wins all of the rounds.

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By steelhound56

@Nefarious: Care to explain why?

Both combatants are strikingly similar in their fighting styles, I figured it might be an interesting matchup.

Bane is the weakest of the Banite Sith due to the principles of the Rule of Two, and Malgus honestly has impressed me more than Bane has in The Old Republic novela, trailers, comics, and game (I don't count gameplay mechanics)

Malgus is no pushover

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nefarious

Darth Bane has more experience.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ShootingNova

@Nefarious said:

Malgus has more experience in war. He has fought in two wars covering a forty-year period.

To the thread,

Round 1:

In terms of lightsaber feats, this depends, kind of. Bane has defeated more impressive foes like Darth Zannah and Kas'im, but the latter is still featless. Malgus defeats featless Jedi (Master Ven Zallow and Master Kao Cen Darach included, although the latter was quite impressive) and Arden Lynn, who is also featless and lacking in overall power. He has also defeated a padawan Satele Shan, who was almost featless (apart from killing random droids) and Knight Satele Shan, who is still not so powerful. Grand Master Satele Shan would blow Malgus out of the water. Bane wins this round, as Malgus has never faced someone who is a master of all the seven lightsaber forms, their Niman/Jar'Kai variants and their double-bladed counterparts. Round 1 goes to Bane.

Round 2:

Malgus is fairly impressive in Force feats, but Bane has blown over a Rakatan Temple with a Force Wave, a feat Malgus has yet to replicate. He also has a similar level of Force Lightning in its most basic use. Telekinetically, Bane is more impressive. Bane has shown more flexibility with Force Lightning, and is capable of cocooning himself in Lightning to send both him and Malgus flying (and protect himself from a lightsaber strike). Bane can win with Force Drain, however, he has no feats with Drain. He also knows lots of Dark Side spells/powers/rituals from Revan's holocron. Rituals are useless in this fight though.

Round 3:

Bane overall wins. Superior saber feats and he stands slightly superior in the Force. I say he would take it 7/8 out of ten. He could also win with Drain, but he has no feats with that. So overall, 7-8/10.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silver2467
@ShootingNova said:

Bane has defeated more impressive foes like Darth Zannah and Kas'im

Bane never beat Zannah in a duel, except in RoT while he had the orbalisks and while she was purely on the defensive and not at her prime. He never beat Kas'im in a duel either; Bane lost to Kas'im. 

Arden Lynn

...What? Are you telling me TOR retconned Arden Lyn into it? She was in stasis during the Old Republic era and was never brought out of it until the Rise of the Empire era. 

Bane can win with Force Drain, however, he has no feats with Drain.

Bane has one single feat with Drain: killing Andeddu's followers at his temple. However, Bane amped himself with the Force energies in Andeddu's Temple to accomplish this; without that, he would have exhausted himself. So really, without outside aid, Bane is not capable of employing Drain in a fight. He lacks the power for it.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShootingNova

@Silver2467 said:

@ShootingNova said:

Bane has defeated more impressive foes like Darth Zannah and Kas'im

Bane never beat Zannah in a duel, except in RoT while he had the orbalisks and while she was purely on the defensive and not at her prime. He never beat Kas'im in a duel either; Bane lost to Kas'im.

Arden Lynn

...What? Are you telling me TOR retconned Arden Lyn into it? She was in stasis during the Old Republic era and was never brought out of it until the Rise of the Empire era.

Bane can win with Force Drain, however, he has no feats with Drain.

Bane has one single feat with Drain: killing Andeddu's followers at his temple. However, Bane amped himself with the Force energies in Andeddu's Temple to accomplish this; without that, he would have exhausted himself. So really, without outside aid, Bane is not capable of employing Drain in a fight. He lacks the power for it.

Woops, I meant he beating Kas'im before the Niman/Jar'Kai-Ataru split. Actually, he was losing after the Jar'Kai-Ataru thing, yeah.Well, in the end of DOE he was on the more winning side against Zannah, having broken her ribs and she was getting pressed back.

Woops, again, not Arden Lynn, Aryn Leneer. Sorry. My brain is fussy, still early in the morning.

Well, then he doesn't use it. And I still find him more or less going to win.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bane_of_sith

The rule of two makes sith stronger and for that Bane will triumph. Jedi spread themselves thin that's why most fall easily under the sabers of true Darths. Bane wins.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silver2467
@ShootingNova said: 

Woops, I meant he beating Kas'im before the Niman/Jar'Kai-Ataru split. Actually, he was losing after the Jar'Kai-Ataru thing, yeah.

Having an advantage over Kas'im, whom Bane had extensive familiarity with, is not much of a feat, especially since Bane never conclusively beat him in a duel. 

Well, in the end of DOE he was on the more winning side against Zannah, having broken her ribs and she was getting pressed back.

He had an edge over Zannah while she was initially holding back to give the impression that she had nothing new to offer in a duel. Beyond that, Bane hitting her in the ribs only happened because she tripped (which by itself is stupid but whatever). He never beat her in a duel under his own abilities. 

Really, Bane has never beaten anyone on pure dueling skill under his own abilities. No one except Sirak anyway, but who cares about him?

Woops, again, not Arden Lynn, Aryn Leneer. Sorry. My brain is fussy, still early in the morning.

I was wondering about that. Just wanted to check because I heard Lyn was mentioned in TOR, and I wanted to be sure there were no retcons involved.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nefarious
@ShootingNova said:

@Nefarious said:

Malgus has more experience in war. He has fought in two wars covering a forty-year period.

To the thread,

Round 1:

In terms of lightsaber feats, this depends, kind of. Bane has defeated more impressive foes like Darth Zannah and Kas'im, but the latter is still featless. Malgus defeats featless Jedi (Master Ven Zallow and Master Kao Cen Darach included, although the latter was quite impressive) and Arden Lynn, who is also featless and lacking in overall power. He has also defeated a padawan Satele Shan, who was almost featless (apart from killing random droids) and Knight Satele Shan, who is still not so powerful. Grand Master Satele Shan would blow Malgus out of the water. Bane wins this round, as Malgus has never faced someone who is a master of all the seven lightsaber forms, their Niman/Jar'Kai variants and their double-bladed counterparts. Round 1 goes to Bane.

Round 2:

Malgus is fairly impressive in Force feats, but Bane has blown over a Rakatan Temple with a Force Wave, a feat Malgus has yet to replicate. He also has a similar level of Force Lightning in its most basic use. Telekinetically, Bane is more impressive. Bane has shown more flexibility with Force Lightning, and is capable of cocooning himself in Lightning to send both him and Malgus flying (and protect himself from a lightsaber strike). Bane can win with Force Drain, however, he has no feats with Drain. He also knows lots of Dark Side spells/powers/rituals from Revan's holocron. Rituals are useless in this fight though.

Round 3:

Bane overall wins. Superior saber feats and he stands slightly superior in the Force. I say he would take it 7/8 out of ten. He could also win with Drain, but he has no feats with that. So overall, 7-8/10.

Oh.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShootingNova

@Silver2467: Okay, I get your point.

Also, Kas'im had extensive familiarity with Bane also and had more experience at that point, but still.

She tripped over the grave-thing because her attention was split between casting her sorcery and Bane. So its kind of slightly plausible. But again, Karpyshynn always write like that.

Yeah, who cares about Sirak. He was featless anyways.

@Bane_of_sith said:

The rule of two makes sith stronger and for that Bane will triumph. Jedi spread themselves thin that's why most fall easily under the sabers of true Darths. Bane wins.

Just because he made the Rule of Two doesn't equal a win for him.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bane_of_sith

He didn't make the rule of two, he brought it back. The sith were weak because like the Jedi there were too many. By reinstating the rule of two he revitalized the sith and became stronger.

bonesboy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bonesboy08

the sith wizard wins

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bane_of_sith

His saber battle with kaz-Im shows his superiority not only with the saber but in the ways of the force. He brought down the temple, killing his foe. Not to mention, surviving the poison kiss of Githany and out smarting all the other sith. That takes more than skills with the saber and the force but cunning as well, and that wins battles above all.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShootingNova

@Bane_of_sith said:

He didn't make the rule of two, he brought it back. The sith were weak because like the Jedi there were too many. By reinstating the rule of two he revitalized the sith and became stronger.

Firstly he forged the Rule of Two. Nobody did so before him, only make something similar but not good enough.

@bonesboy08 said:

the sith wizard wins

Which?

@Bane_of_sith said:

His saber battle with kaz-Im shows his superiority not only with the saber but in the ways of the force. He brought down the temple, killing his foe. Not to mention, surviving the poison kiss of Githany and out smarting all the other sith. That takes more than skills with the saber and the force but cunning as well, and that wins battles above all.

Firstly he lost to Kas'im, and he had been training for a long time with Kas'im to have familiarity. He had to use the Force, and he had to charge it up to do so. He almost died from Githany's poison, he couldn't even detect the Synox and if it hadn't been for Caleb he wouldn't have survived. None of the Sith in his age were smart nor powerful. Sidious>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bane.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

@Bane_of_sith said:

Firstly he forged the Rule of Two. Nobody did so before him, only make something similar but not good enough.

Technically, he got the idea from Revan. Revan was really the first to conceive of two Sith; actually, one could argue that it started with Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan: Umm... they had an entire empire of Sith.... yes, Revan conceived the idea, but the Rule was not in practice: there were still armies out there. Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma, yes, but the Massassi are Sith, kind of.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Silver2467
@JediXMan said: 

Technically, he got the idea from Revan. Revan was really the first to conceive of two Sith; actually, one could argue that it started with Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma.

He never got that idea from Revan. What he received from Revan was that one Sith should never have two apprentices. Revan never operated a two-Sith rule. There were other Sith Lords in his Empire besides himself.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShootingNova

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

He never got that idea from Revan. What he received from Revan was that one Sith should never have two apprentices. Revan never operated a two-Sith rule. There were other Sith Lords in his Empire besides himself.

Yeah. But what I think JXM was saying was that Revan implied that there should have been only two Sith at a time.

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By steelhound56

I'll weigh my opinion.

Malgus is more experienced in combat when compared to Bane.

Bane spent brief time in infantry before being whisked off to Korriban. And when he left for Ruusan, be came into the ass end of a 3? year conflict to wipe out the Sith Order and rebuild it. Ingenious? Absolutely. DId it take a ton of skill to actually pull off? Not really. The Sith Lords of that era were not particularly smart or skilled. There were just tons of them, and almost all of their feats are lower end for Sith.

Malgus is far more experienced in fighting Force Users. He fought Jedi over the course of the Return of the Sith Empire, and spent his time after peace terms were agreed upon either conquering worlds for the Empire, or just straight up killing people he despised (Lord Adraas for starters. Not a high end guy but Malgus slaughters him)

To me Malgus seems like the better duelist. Ven Zallow was the Temple Swordmaster. In a time where the Jedi Order had been geared towards war against Dark Side users, that's gotta count for something. Malgus was able to beat him in a straight up saber fight. He owns Aryn Leneer after a short period, where he simply overpowers her and frys her with Force Lightning.

In the epilouge of Deceived, he breaches Lord Adraas' stronghold, kills everyone in the complex, and owns Lord Adraas with his lightsaber disarming him with no harm to his person, and then strangling him to death with his bare hands.

I just think Malgus would have an edge in lightsaber combat, and hes no slouch when compared to Bane in the Force department either.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShootingNova

@steelhound56: Kas'im was quite skilled, at least more so than Adraas, even though he is featless. Adraas was featless. Ven Zallow was featless. Aryn Leneer is virtually featless. Bane>Malgus in the Force as far as I know, Malgus hasn't blown a Temple over, but he has destroyed pillars with Force Scream etc. I say Bane wins for now.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

It was led by two Sith. The idea began with Revan, he just did not go the whole way with it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

May I just say that I know absolutely nothing about Malgus, nor do I really desire to learn anything about him?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan said:

May I just say that I know absolutely nothing about Malgus, nor do I really desire to learn anything about him?

Didn't Steelhound just provide you with a whole lot of quotes and feats earlier this year?

@JediXMan said:

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

It was led by two Sith. The idea began with Revan, he just did not go the whole way with it.

It kind of depends on your interpretation.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

@JediXMan said:

Didn't Steelhound just provide you with a whole lot of quotes and feats earlier this year?

Among others, yeah.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Deranged Midget

Am I the only one who considers Malgus to be one of the more interesting characters to be produced from TOR?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

Am I the only one who considers Malgus to be one of the more interesting characters to be produced from TOR?

I do. I like Grand Master Satele Shan also, but the Emperor was an utter rip-off. So disappointed.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I do. I like Grand Master Satele Shan also, but the Emperor was an utter rip-off. So disappointed.

I really liked Satale Shan's character as well.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yep. You read Fatal Alliance? So much power, so much wisdom.... :D

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yes sir! Finally read it and excellent recommendation!

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

LOL, so I take it you enjoyed it? I did.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I enjoyed it a LOT actually, probably more than Deceived.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Same. Best TOR book IMHO.

It was also the only one that had characters representing the classes, and there was both action and suspense, well, sort of.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

It was also the only one that had characters representing the classes, and there was both action and suspense, well, sort of.

Agreed, I would've said Deceived if it were not for Aryn Leneer. I just couldn't stand her character.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Agreed, I would've said Deceived if it were not for Aryn Leneer. I just couldn't stand her character.

Ditto. I absolutely despised her with a passion. She felt so dull and lifeless.....

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova: One of the few problems about her character. She was constantly complaining, irritating, and was borderline a Grey Jedi throughout the entirety of the novel.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova: One of the few problems about her character. She was constantly complaining, irritating, and was borderline a Grey Jedi throughout the entirety of the novel.

She wasn't a Grey Jedi at all. She never walked between the paths of Light and Dark. She was a Jedi, but not so adherent to the code, similar to Anakin by the time of ROTS.

Well, if you're referring to the kind of Grey Jedi where she's a Jedi but totally non-adherent to the code, than I get what you're saying, but she wasn't really a recluse..... well, she almost seemed like it.

But she had a Jedi-like border around her, only she was on the edge of being Grey Jedi. I still think she is Jedi in some way, at least.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Well, if you're referring to the kind of Grey Jedi where she's a Jedi but totally non-adherent to the code, than I get what you're saying, but she wasn't really a recluse..... well, she almost seemed like it.

Yeah, this is what I meant.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yeah. I still think she isn't really a Grey Jedi though....

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yeah, no, I guess I didn't word it correctly. She basically just ignored the Jedi code and her orders for the entire novel.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yeah, no, I guess I didn't word it correctly. She basically just ignored the Jedi code and her orders for the entire novel.

Well, kind of. She was all revenge-like and vindicated. More closer to Dark Jedi than Grey Jedi, though.

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

@Nefarious said:

Darth Bane wins all of the rounds.
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova: DARK JEDI! That's what I meant :P

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova: DARK JEDI! That's what I meant :P

LOL, what? Yeah, okay :D

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova: I mixed up the definitions and Grey Jedi was the first to come to mind :P

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova: I mixed up the definitions and Grey Jedi was the first to come to mind :P

Okay. LOL :D

At least we got that out..... when you said Grey Jedi I was like "Wha....?"

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

LMAO! I'm still learning! >.<

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

No, I'm not being offensive, sorry if I offended you, I was just shocked.

I thought you were pretty high up there.....

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Lmao not at all :P

HIgh up there? In terms of knowledge? Please... Not even close compared to Steelhound, Silver, JXM and yourself.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ShootingNova said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Lmao not at all :P

HIgh up there? In terms of knowledge? Please... Not even close compared to Steelhound, Silver, JXM and yourself.

Okay.

Don't kill yourself, you're high up there for sure, yes, for knowledge.