Darksied vs Gaunthlet ( One of OA guardians)

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By termiteone4ever

Morals off

No prep

Battle to the death

darkseid

VS

Gauntlet

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AweSam

Well, I'm sure there's a good reason why the guardians stay out of Darkseid's business.

termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By termiteone4ever

@AweSam said:

Well, I'm sure there's a good reason why the guardians stay out of Darkseid's business.

LOL that's good one lol . I always wondered why

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Killemall

@termiteone4ever said:

@AweSam said:

Well the reason was given isnt it. IIRC it was something like the universe is like a battery which needs to have positive and negative and darkseid represents the negative and he is essential to the universe (although he has been killed a couple of times, weird right). Its the same reason why Spectre couldnt kill DS as well.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MrDirector786

@Killemall said:

@termiteone4ever said:

@AweSam said:

Well the reason was given isnt it. IIRC it was something like the universe is like a battery which needs to have positive and negative and darkseid represents the negative and he is essential to the universe (although he has been killed a couple of times, weird right). Its the same reason why Spectre couldnt kill DS as well.

In Cosmic Odyssey, the reason given is that Apokolips and New Genesis exist in another universe so the Guardians had never contacted them before. Later on, I think that got retconned in a Green Lantern 80 page giant issue where the Green Lantern Corps wages a war against apokolips. However, after observing Apokolips, the Guardians ultimately decided that Darkseid was the only one fit to rule that planet and they made a truce.

No Caption Provided
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By termiteone4ever

@MrDirector786 said:

@Killemall said:

@termiteone4ever said:

@AweSam said:

In Cosmic Odyssey, the reason given is that Apokolips and New Genesis exist in another universe so the Guardians had never contacted them before. Later on, I think that got retconned in a Green Lantern 80 page giant issue where the Green Lantern Corps wages a war against apokolips. However, after observing Apokolips, the Guardians ultimately decided that Darkseid was the only one fit to rule that planet and they made a truce.

No Caption Provided

Oh there were so many reasons i heard but this is first time i have seen a scan why

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Killemall

@MrDirector786: Thank you, but i do remember seeing the battery part too, may be they have just given too many reasons :)

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Freefa11

@Killemall: That was the explanation given for why the Spectre wasn't allowed to kill him in Spectre 19. As you mentioned, it is contradicted elsewhere by Darkseid actually dying. It also feels incomplete to me; Darkseid is listed as the "negative" charge, but who's the positive? Highfather is the obvious counterpart to Darkseid, but when he died, no one even tried to claim the universe couldn't function without him. Darkseid also isn't very old compared to life in the universe, so he couldn't have always been the negative charge, and I also have to wonder simply, why him? Darkseid is not the most evil character in DC, nor the most powerful character that happens to be evil.

I kind of feel that making him the "god of evil" is not really what Kirby was going for, and kind of misses the point of the character. He should probably be viewed more as a god of despotism, tyranny, or dystopia. He doesn't do evil for the sake of evil, he does evil for the sake of power. "God of evil" is too easy and too generic.

Alternately, you can just go with Darkseid's view of himself, "Darkseid IS."

Regarding the actual fight, I'm honestly not sure what the Guardians are capable of these days. I don't think they ever had a lot of feats, and lately they've seemed pretty impotent. Plus, isn't Ganthet the Guardian of the Blue Lanterns now? Those guys can't really do anything at all without a GL to back them. Probably doesn't apply to him personally as much, but I don't know if I would assume he's the same as he was beforehand. He needed Hal to make him an honorary GL in Blackest Night to actually become effective, didn't he?

niwiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By niwiley

It seems as the spectrum of light became shattered maybe the guardians power dimmed. It also seems as if everyone and their Mom has a ring or is omnipotent these days, so bringing the power level down to something that is understandable or being able to take them out of the equation, lends to the story telling, which is what we all really want in the end.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeanroygrant

Gantlet.