Crono (Chrono Trigger) Vs. Link (Legend of Zelda)

Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Crono (Chrono Trigger) Vs. Link (Legend of Zelda) (15 votes)

Crono 53%
Link 47%

The battle to determine who is the *REAL* Hero Of Time is about to begin!

Rules: Crono can't change equipment in battle, so he only gets one item set!

Link can only have the gear from one inventory screen! If you have a particular loadout in mind for either fighter, mention it in your post!

No external aid, so Crono's friends can't help him perform Double/Triple Techs, and no bottled fairies from Link!

The place is Final destination, the fight is to the death, morals off!

Who IS the LAST HERO OF TIME STANDING?

• 
Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump'd!

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crono

He even got those futuristic light saber/Magic swords my brother

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

If we can just choose what each of them has, then....I don't think there's really a point to this match. Although does Crono use more than just a katana? Because Link's vast equipment arsenal, across pretty much all games, makes him pretty versatile and I could see him winning more often than not. Especially since we can just choose what is what.

Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pearstriker

@wolfrazer:

Point taken.

Suppose we're talking about Ocarina of Time Link then? I think that's a fairly standard loadout for him, no?

As for Crono's gear, his only weapon is that katana and his magic. That being said, his other gear has effects on him beyond simply making him tougher.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pearstriker said:

@wolfrazer:

Point taken.

Suppose we're talking about Ocarina of Time Link then? I think that's a fairly standard loadout for him, no?

Yes, that's kind of the standard Link. And that version eliminates the Fierce Deity mask, which would be overkill against Crono.

This is a good fight and I'll post my analysis later when I have time.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard link is a good battle. Ill give edge to link.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolfrazer

@pearstriker: A standard loadout for Link would best be, MS, Hylian shield, bombs, bow/arrows. Otherwise you're gonna have Link with a nigh-indestructible barrier in OoT(Nayru's love).

Edit: Wait I see...but this magic, what can he do with it?

Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer:
Offensive Lightning and Light based magic. He can also revive allies, but that seems unhelpful solo.
At its most basic, he calls down thunderbolts. More advanced spells allow him to project waves of lightning in a radius centered on him, and his ultimate called Luminaire functions a lot like ultima from Final Fantasy.
Beyond that, he's got some relatively advanced sword techs. I can't get too into them right now cause im on the clock, but if you still have questions later I'd be more than happy to answer them :P

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrazer

@pearstriker: Well what about his other gear? How fast is this thunderbolt/lighting attack? Also alright, i'll wait. Although I think it's best there's already gear in place for the both of them, rather then people getting to pick what.

Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pearstriker

@wolfrazer said:

@pearstriker: Well what about his other gear? How fast is this thunderbolt/lighting attack? Also alright, i'll wait. Although I think it's best there's already gear in place for the both of them, rather then people getting to pick what.

I'm kinda hesitant to tell people what gear Crono would use. In my experience back on the CT forums back in the day, people argued a lot about what loadout was best, and besides that a lot of it has effects that only really make sense in the game mechanics. But I'll give a short list of the relevant stuff. If I miss anything, feel free to point it out.

Weapon - Rainbow. Dreamseeker if you don't mind the DS version. They're basically the same thing anyway. They're both the best weapon in their respective releases, they both crit more often than not.

Helm - Haste Helm, Prism Helm, or Masters Crown. Haste Helm doubles the wearer's Speed. Prism Helm prevents status defects and reduces Magic Damage, and Master's Crown prevents status defects and boosts attack damage.

Armor - Nova Armor, Regal Plate, or the Colored Mails - Nova Armor is sturdy and prevents status defects. Regal Plate is vanilla, but has the highest defensive bonuses in the game (that a male char can wear, anyhow). The Red/White/Black/Blue Mails make the wearer absorb Fire/Light/Dark/Water(and Ice) magic, but aren't usually used endgame because their defense rating is lower.

Accessories -

Gold Earring - Doubles HP. Usually not used lategame due to reaching the HP cap.

Gold Stud - Quarters MP usage.

Third Eye- Greatly improves chances to dodge physical attacks.

Frenzy Band - Grants automatic counterattacks 70% of the time.

Power Seal- Increases physical attack damage and physical resistance.

Prism Specs- Increases all damage dealt by 50%.

So you see, while Crono does have some variety to his loadout, it's nowhere near Link's level. And since you asked about his Spells, Here's a rundown of his Techs. Again, if I don't get something right, feel free to correct me.

Cyclone- Similar to Link's spin slash, but he can stay airborne for about four seconds with it, and moves in a circle horizontally while in the air.

Wind Slash- Crono throws a blade of wind with his sword, ala many anime swordsmen. Travels slightly slower than an arrow and throwing it is only slightly slower than swinging his sword. Cuts through enemies in a line, but I imagine it would dissipate if it hit something it couldn't pierce (Like Link's Shield).

Lightning- Crono drops a lightning bolt on an enemy. Casting takes 1.5 - 2 seconds, but the bolt seems to act like normal lightning once the spell's done.

Cleave- A leaping downward strike. He does jump pretty high for it, so it does more damage than a normal hit, but I can't imagine him hitting Link with something so telegraphed.

Lightning 2 - Crono lets loose waves of electricity in a radius, centered on him. Like his other Lightning spell, it takes time to cast it (this one's more like 3 seconds) but the lightning doesn't have any noticeable delay once it's been cast.

Raise- Crono revives an ally. Doesn't seem to have any purpose here, except MAYBE if he wins and decides to raise Link to shake his hand or something.

Frenzy- Crono darts around an enemy for a short while, fast enough to leave afterimages. During that time, he's able to land four hits.

Luminaire- Crono gathers light from the surroundings and unleashes it in a blinding, cataclysmic explosion. It takes a good 4 seconds to actually cast it, though.

That's about it, I think. In terms of his physical condition, I'd place him in that "anime hero" range, where they're very quick and durable, but don't really have super strength as far as anyone can tell, since out of combat they seem to be bound by the same rules that a normal person would be.

Did that help at all?

EDIT: I'm at my post limit, so here's the response for Wolfrazer's post just below.

Yeah, like I said, a lot of it really doesn't translate to much for a battle scenario. But for his stats? It's tough to say.

He's upper-end of human in all respects, but capable of short bursts of high speed and strength. And he's a very good swordsman.

I would compare him to Robin from Teen titans. He can fight against extremely powerful enemies and win though speed, strength and skill beyond that of a normal human, while taking hits that should do much more damage than they do. But outside of combat he's held by all the restrictions that an average joe would have - he can't shift massive boulders, he can't wade through molten metal, and a good hit to the back of the head will knock him out.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer

@pearstriker: It did, but I don't really know about the bit of accessories, because of game mechanics. I mean they are fine, but for a battle...I'm not sure how it would translate really. I mean I could see the 3rd eye being good, but I don't really see how to establish the Gold Earring because here...it's not a game. The same with the Prism Specs, the rest is fine though I think.

I mean i'll be honest, I mostly use the LoZ manga for Link's capabilities(his speed, sword skill, durability, strength, agility, tactical sense and some of the items he uses) because those things are limited by game mechanics and it's hard to show. The manga pretty much follows the stories anyway(abit slight difference, but really it's not that big of a deal anyway)

Now some of the items, I do use from the games...items that you can clearly see what they are capable of doing.

So that's where I'm at with this, how good is Crono's strength, durability, agility and speed?

I mean looking at it, the Lighting attacks and Frenzy MAY prove a problem for Link, but may not due to Link's defensive capabilities ontop of his durability/agility.

Pearstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolfrazer

I'm gonna go with Link on this after looking over the stats, Link has pretty much superhuman agility/strength/durability/speed(abit maybe not speed, but he has shown some quick reactions). His sword skill should be greater, considering he is reincarnated each time and has been many times, his tactical ability to analyze opponents and figure out a way to beat em will help out too. The only problems I see Link having are with the Lighting attacks, but really this is negated by Nayru's love.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Detrolord
No Caption Provided

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer

This is hard to explain things about game mechanics especially in the 8 bit era. But if i'm guessing right Lavos the Devourer of Time destroyed the entire universe ending the time in 1999 i know its bull but its the settings and regarded one of the best RPG of all time. But he was seen destroy a entire metropolitan city with one attack.

If its about the gears he has Magic/Tech Swords which have shown to cut Steal/Iron Robots

He also have a lightning based ulti magic in gameplay it can attack all enemies and heal allies. it equals to the Dark Matter of Magus which can level an entire castle by one attack.

He was able to dodge Laser guns in the cutscenes.

well its what i remember if you want more knowledge try to play it in a emulator i recommend it.