Counting Coup: Jessica Jones vs Spider-Man (read OP!)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator

Alright, here's the second in my series of " counting coup" battles: Jessica Jones vs Spider-Man.  ( See here for Black Widow vs Deathstroke.)
The idea is to take a fight that would normally be spite, or close to spite, and make it fair.

Here's how it works: an underdog (a less-effective/skilled/powerful character) will try to "count coup" against a more-effective/skilled/powerful character. The underdog character (in this case, Jessica Jones) wins by counting coup, which means using her hand to touch the more-powerful character (Spider-Man) on the torso or head, before being defeated by the more-powerful character.

TO BE CLEAR: The less-powerful character does not have to beat the more powerful character in the traditional ways like KO, incapacitation, or death.  If the less-powerful character is simply able to touch the more-powerful character on the head or torso before being defeated, then the less-powerful character wins. (The more-powerful character wins if he is able to prevent the less-powerful character from counting coup.)

The battle takes place in a depopulated Manhattan. They are both in character, but are fighting with serious intent.  This is standard Jessica Jones.  This is current Spider-Man with spider-sense, kung fu, and web shooters, but he just has a standard costume, not his new armor or one of the FF uniforms.

They start at 50'.  Jessica is only intending to count coup--her entire intent is focused on that one thing.

Two rounds:
Round 1: Spider-Man doesnot know she is trying to count coup, and assumes it is a standard fight, so he is not trying to protect his head/torso in particular, he is just trying to beat her as quickly as possible.
Round 2: Spider-Man does know she is trying to count coup, and is specifically trying to protect his head/torso, while also trying to beat her down.

Can Jessica count coup against Spider-Man before being defeated?

Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones
Spider-Man
Spider-Man

troller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By troller

Definately, positively, absolutely not.

THIS IS MADNESS

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jashro44

how skilled or fast is she?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shawnbaby

it's still Spite. Spidey is faster, Stronger, more agile, more experienced, and has Spider-Sense. She can't lay a finger on him.

kajitatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kajitatsu

Peter ends it quickly by webbing her up in both cases, assuming this is in character.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owie  Moderator
@jashro44 said:

how skilled or fast is she?

@Shawnbaby said:
it's still Spite. Spidey is faster, Stronger, more agile, more experienced, and has Spider-Sense. She can't lay a finger on him.

She's not very skilled, but she can fly pretty quickly.  So while all the characteristics Shawnbaby said are true, it's possible she could just try to fly directly at him and ram into him, thus winning.  He may or may not be able to dodge this, considering his spider-sense and agility, I'm on the fence about this.  Or he could use his webbing--I don't think she'd be strong enough to break his webbing.  But Spider-Man has been touched by slower people many times in the past--say Scorpion or Cardiac or Kingpin or Killer Shrike or Prowler or Vulture.  To me, this is the essential question in this battle--if she flies at him as fast as possible, with no worries about any consequences other than just trying to touch him, can he definitively dodge her?  He's faster than her in terms of pure physical agility--he can move his body parts faster the she can mover her body parts--but can he dodge her more quickly than she can fly?  (Someone like Killer Shrike or Vulture is a good example here.)  It's possible that the answer is no.
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jashro44

@Owie: Speed in comics isn't something easy to quantify. Spider-man getting touched by slower people I chalk up to pis sort of like hulk tagging faster people then himself. We saw what happens when spider-man uses his speed against kingpin in back in black and all though he wont fight this serious I see no reason why he can't use his speed/dodging abilities in this way.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Stronger

@Shawnbaby said:

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By owie  Moderator
@jashro44 said:

@Owie: Speed in comics isn't something easy to quantify. Spider-man getting touched by slower people I chalk up to pis sort of like hulk tagging faster people then himself. We saw what happens when spider-man uses his speed against kingpin in back in black and all though he wont fight this serious I see no reason why he can't use his speed/dodging abilities in this way.

I know PIS is one way to look at it, but my feeling is, if it's a repeated pattern (and it is), then we should perhaps treat it as the way things actually are, and not PIS.  This is what we're normally supposed to do in the case of repeated feats.  For instance, in the Cyclops vs Captain America thread, one of the big questions is, can Cap hide his entire body behind his shield, thus protecting himself against an all-enveloping optic blast?  Common sense would say no, but in comics he has done it repeatedly, so we have to accept it as possible.  In the same way, I'd say that while Spider-Man is supposedly too fast for almost anyone to touch, in comics he has been tagged constantly.  So perhaps it's not PIS, and he is just able to be hit by people that are slower than him.  I mean, I could make a bunch of scans of Killer Shrike and Vulture hitting Spidey, I don't see why it would be beyond the pale for Jessica Jones to do it.  I don't think Spidey's agility speed is that much better (if at all) than her flying speed.
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jashro44

@Owie: It is pis. In comics people don't use there advantages all the time, its not something uncommon. Using the hulk as an example he has hit tons of street levelers and they survive all the time. The hulk has been blitzed by spider-man before but he has also tagged the silver surfer. Is hulk fast, or was silver surfer just not using his speed? Batman has dodged supermans punch before, was superman punching at the best speeds possible or not? Shiva has beaten a ninja who was dodging superman is she faster then superman? I'm sure you get the idea now. There have been several instances in comics where people do not use there abilities to the best that they can. If spider-man used his speed on kingpin all the time like he did in back in black it would be boring. The same applies to everyone. Battle forum rules specifically state just because characters don't use there speed all the time doesn't mean that they cannot and will not.

Just replace the word superman with spider-man. Unless Parker has said he purposely doesn't use his speed for what ever reason as far as I'm concerned he can use his speed.

Determining what is done for the plot and what is done because of the characters involved can be hard for some people. Superman is a prime case. In comics, Superman rarely uses his speed offensively. This is done for plot, to prolong the story and make it interesting (though it can also be said that it's a part of his character and not done solely because it benefits the story). In comics, Superman doesn’t kill. He does not spare his enemies because of the plot, he spares them because it’s part of his character not to kill thanks to how he was raised. In battles on the forum we include CIS, but not PIS, so Superman uses his speed but generally doesn’t kill unless otherwise stated. (“Bloodlust”)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By owie  Moderator
@jashro44 said:

@Owie: It is pis. In comics people don't use there advantages all the time, its not something uncommon. Using the hulk as an example he has hit tons of street levelers and they survive all the time. The hulk has been blitzed by spider-man before but he has also tagged the silver surfer. Is hulk fast, or was silver surfer just not using his speed? Batman has dodged supermans punch before, was superman punching at the best speeds possible or not? Shiva has beaten a ninja who was dodging superman is she faster then superman? I'm sure you get the idea now. There have been several instances in comics where people do not use there abilities to the best that they can. If spider-man used his speed on kingpin all the time like he did in back in black it would be boring. The same applies to everyone. Battle forum rules specifically state just because characters don't use there speed all the time doesn't mean that they cannot and will not.

Just replace the word superman with spider-man. Unless Parker has said he purposely doesn't use his speed for what ever reason as far as I'm concerned he can use his speed.

Determining what is done for the plot and what is done because of the characters involved can be hard for some people. Superman is a prime case. In comics, Superman rarely uses his speed offensively. This is done for plot, to prolong the story and make it interesting (though it can also be said that it's a part of his character and not done solely because it benefits the story). In comics, Superman doesn’t kill. He does not spare his enemies because of the plot, he spares them because it’s part of his character not to kill thanks to how he was raised. In battles on the forum we include CIS, but not PIS, so Superman uses his speed but generally doesn’t kill unless otherwise stated. (“Bloodlust”)

Oh, I agree that he can use his speed.  I guess what I'm saying is that we have to take his high and low showings together to find his average level.  Personally, I think his average level of agility is not too high above her ability to hit, if she is going all out to touch him, and he is trying to attack as well as defend.  I think she could take a decent number of wins in Round 1 (he doesn't know what she's doing), but probably only one or two wins in Round 2 (he knows what she's trying to do).
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shawnbaby

Round 1: She attacks him for what to him is no apparent reason so he webs her up to a wall. He then calls up Luke Cage and asks what the hell is wrong with his woman 
Round 2: He knows exactly what she's trying to do so he webs her up to a wall. He then calls up Luke Cage and they both have a big laugh about it. 

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jashro44

@Owie: I only consider it a low showing when we have indication of him using speed or agility. I mean yea we know he is using it but do we know he is using his speed and agility to the best that he can on average? Spider-mans average still pretty much places him in the faster then eyes can follow zone. I have no idea how fast jessica jones can fly but if her speed isn't comparable I don't see her winning.

fondofpacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fondofpacman

Does the count coup attempt trigger his spider sense? If not, she might be able to squeak a win by in the first round if he doesn't go right for webbing. Round 2 Spidey takes it regardless?

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sufferthorn

I feel like Jessica would just walk up to Spidey like theres nothing going down, and tap him on the head for the first round... 

2nd round...Spidey with morals on, webs her down.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Sufferthorn said:
I feel like Jessica would just walk up to Spidey like theres nothing going down, and tap him on the head for the first round...  2nd round...Spidey with morals on, webs her down.
If it isn't in a battle type situation it isn't really "counting coup"
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By owie  Moderator
@jashro44 said:

@Owie: I only consider it a low showing when we have indication of him using speed or agility. I mean yea we know he is using it but do we know he is using his speed and agility to the best that he can on average? Spider-mans average still pretty much places him in the faster then eyes can follow zone. I have no idea how fast jessica jones can fly but if her speed isn't comparable I don't see her winning.

I looked through my comics with her in it to see if there was any indication of her flying speed.  I didn't find much that was specific, but in one instance, Ms. Marvel is falling down from the sky, and Jessica swoops in from above, circles around her, and gets below her to catch her.  A falling human's terminal velocity is about 120 mph, so she had to be going faster than that to catch up to her from above.  So let's say 150-200 mph (at least--she didn't show any strain flying this fast so she may be able to go faster).  So if she rockets at him at 150 mph from 50' away, that's a pretty fast thing to dodge--not by any means impossible, since bullets go much faster, but on the other hand bullets can't change direction in mid-flight.

@Shawnbaby said:
Round 1: She attacks him for what to him is no apparent reason so he webs her up to a wall. He then calls up Luke Cage and asks what the hell is wrong with his woman
@Sufferthorn said:
I feel like Jessica would just walk up to Spidey like theres nothing going down, and tap him on the head for the first round.

He does understand that they're in a battle situation round 1, he just doesn't know that she's attempting to count coup.  So in both rounds, he is attacking her as well as having her attacking him.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Owie said:
@jashro44 said:

I looked through my comics with her in it to see if there was any indication of her flying speed.  I didn't find much that was specific, but in one instance, Ms. Marvel is falling down from the sky, and Jessica swoops in from above, circles around her, and gets below her to catch her.  A falling human's terminal velocity is about 120 mph, so she had to be going faster than that to catch up to her from above.  So let's say 150-200 mph (at least--she didn't show any strain flying this fast so she may be able to go faster).  So if she rockets at him at 150 mph from 50' away, that's a pretty fast thing to dodge--not by any means impossible, since bullets go much faster, but on the other hand bullets can't change direction in mid-flight.

@Shawnbaby said:
@Sufferthorn said:
I feel like Jessica would just walk up to Spidey like theres nothing going down, and tap him on the head for the first round.
He does understand that they're in a battle situation round 1, he just doesn't know that she's attempting to count coup.  So in both rounds, he is attacking her as well as having her attacking him.
Spidey has dodged flyer that can move faster than that and have more fighting skill and experience than Jessica. His Spider-Sense warns him where the attack will be coming from. 
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Shawnbaby said:

Spidey has dodged flyer that can move faster than that and have more fighting skill and experience than Jessica. His Spider-Sense warns him where the attack will be coming from. 
True, he has dodged faster people in the past, but not infallibly, and he has also been hit by slower people in the past.  It's not that I think she would touch him every time, but I think she could get him a few times.  I don't think his experience or fighting skill comes into play too much here, it's basically dodge or be hit.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Owie said:

@Shawnbaby said:

True, he has dodged faster people in the past, but not infallibly, and he has also been hit by slower people in the past.  It's not that I think she would touch him every time, but I think she could get him a few times.  I don't think his experience or fighting skill comes into play too much here, it's basically dodge or be hit.
Every Fight is dodge or be hit...that's exactly where fighting skill and experience comes in. 
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jashro44

@Owie:I don't think thats to fast for spider-man to avoid. He has kept a head of lightmaster in dazzlers body who if I'm not mistaken (admittedly I could be) is able to fly 140 MPH according to the marvel hand book. Depends how she uses her speed in combat though.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owie  Moderator
@jashro44 said:

@Owie:I don't think thats to fast for spider-man to avoid. He has kept a head of lightmaster in dazzlers body who if I'm not mistaken (admittedly I could be) is able to fly 140 MPH according to the marvel hand book. Depends how she uses her speed in combat though.

I don't think it's too fast for him to avoid sometimes, maybe even most of the time, but it might be enough for her to hit him some of the time.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Owie said:
@jashro44 said:

I don't think it's too fast for him to avoid sometimes, maybe even most of the time, but it might be enough for her to hit him some of the time.
Without PIS, there's nothing she can do to trump Spider-Sense.
dami24434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jashro44

I was thinking about this concept of counting coup. I remember you made other threads like this.