Could the Hulk ACTUALLY beat Blackbolt?!

Shattered Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Shattered Hand

We all know that Hulk has that "gets angry and becomes more powerful" jazz but come on now. Blackbolt has been potrayed as one of the most powerful people in the Universe for quite a while now. Even in Silent War THE SENTRY is scared of Blackbolt...yet we don't even get to see how he is defeated...he gets generic offscreen beating number 3. Now the reasoning they'd use is OH HE IS ON THE MOON HE COULDN'T USE HIS FULL POWERS blah blah , which though despite being true is such a cop out. So in a 1 v 1 straight fight in which Blackbolt could fully unleash who thinks that he'd still get beaten by the Hulk? Cause I sure as heck don't!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

No way in hell. Blackbolt would kick the tar outta the Hulk.
Post Edited:2007-06-25 15:13:01

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Darkchild

yeah Blackbolt wouldkick hulks ass any day it was a complete cop out that they had him defeated by the hulk BULL$HIT

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By NiteFly

That is one of those things that I was wondering about. I'm not feeling it. They better give a damn good reason during this story-arch as to why it happened or I am going to be pissed.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator

NiteFly says:

"That is one of those things that I was wondering about. I'm not feeling it. They better give a damn good reason during this story-arch as to why it happened or I am going to be pissed."

To make Hulk seem more badass.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vrakmul

fesak says:

"NiteFly says:
"That is one of those things that I was wondering about. I'm not feeling it. They better give a damn good reason during this story-arch as to why it happened or I am going to be pissed."
To make Hulk seem more badass."

That's a pretty bad reason. FOr the fight well blackbolt duh if he yells hulk is done for.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The WeatherMan

Probably not. But his wife was there, so BB probably didn't want to scream, seeing as he cold have destroyed her along with a chunk of the moon, because the moon is so small.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Megaguirus says:

"fesak says:
"NiteFly says:
To make Hulk seem more badass."

That's a pretty bad reason. FOr the fight well blackbolt duh if he yells hulk is done for."

It seems to be it, because the actual fight took place off panel which means the writer couldn't figure out how Hulk would actually beat Black Bolt and just skipped to next page with BB beaten.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darkchild

that fesak is why i hate off panel deaths their done because the writer cant think of a ligit way to kill them with out saying

oh they died off panel

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Yeah, that's a sign of a bad writer.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darkchild

it is i hate it ahhhhh ok im done

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I wrote about this in another thread and no, he couldn't.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Prodigal Son

Maybe he was somehow able to stuff a sock in Bolt's mouth then beat the crap out of him.

Just maybe.....

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Satyrquaze

Provided Blackbolt was left to only whispering in an area where the air was signifigantly thinner such as the Blue area of the Moon.

If he chose to speak in a normal inside voice he'd incapacitate even the Hulk.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vrakmul

If he yelled there would be no hulk.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Air doesn't matter because his "scream" isn't sound. His voice is just the trigger, not the actual thing. Also, I'm pretty sure the Blue Area's atmosphere is identical to Earth's in regards to oxygen level.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's not so much that the fight happened "off panel." The way it looked to me, Black Bolt and Medusa assumed Hulk was beaten. They turned to walk back to their palace and Hulk jump him from behind. So maaaaaybe he just got lucky with a surprise attack from behind. But I believe the real question is could Hulk really win. I don't think the writers were really being lazy here. It was just like a giant Suckerpunch on the Hulk's part.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NiteFly

G-Man says:

"It's not so much that the fight happened "off panel." The way it looked to me, Black Bolt and Medusa assumed Hulk was beaten. They turned to walk back to their palace and Hulk jump him from behind. So maaaaaybe he just got lucky with a surprise attack from behind. But I believe the real question is could Hulk really win. I don't think the writers were really being lazy here. It was just like a giant Suckerpunch on the Hulk's part."

Looks like Black Bolt has enough time to react with another whisper at the very least.
Post Edited:2007-06-25 15:25:07

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Satyrquaze

Buckshot says:

"Air doesn't matter because his "scream" isn't sound. His voice is just the trigger, not the actual thing. Also, I'm pretty sure the Blue Area's atmosphere is identical to Earth's in regards to oxygen level."

Ya caught me making excuses for Blackbolt, but during the fight between the X-Men and the Imperial Guard (when Jean was killed the first time) Angel attempted to fly above the battlefield and suddenly found himself above the limit of oxygen in the Blue Area, while I think there is enough air to go around I don't think it's identical to earth, especially since it was altered by an alien race to be ideal for them.

I think though that if Blackbolt had done more than whisper...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck

NiteFly says:

"G-Man says:
"It's not so much that the fight happened "off panel." The way it looked to me, Black Bolt and Medusa assumed Hulk was beaten. They turned to walk back to their palace and Hulk jump him from behind. So maaaaaybe he just got lucky with a surprise attack from behind. But I believe the real question is could Hulk really win. I don't think the writers were really being lazy here. It was just like a giant Suckerpunch on the Hulk's part."

Looks like Black Bolt has enough time to react with another whisper at the very least."

Yeah he should. But also, Hulk wouldn't be able to say, "I didn't come here for a whisper. I wanna hear you scream," in mid-jump. Lots of times in comics, characters say a lot in mid-jump or punch. Again, I'm not totally defending the panel in question. Perhaps Black Bolt is just so arrogant, as he should be, and really was surprised that Hulk recovered so easily so quickly. Maybe he was actually speechless. I don't know much about Black Bolt 'cause I never really cared for the Inhumans but if if Hulk landed one good punch, I don't know if he could take it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gmanfromheck

It would be kinda hard to scream with one of Hulk's giant fists in his mouth. He caught him by surprise. That's why and how he beat him to a pulp.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NiteFly

G-Man says:

"It would be kinda hard to scream with one of Hulk's giant fists in his mouth. He caught him by surprise. That's why and how he beat him to a pulp."

My point is that the artwork of the end of that issue gave me the impression that it would at least be a tremendous fight. Having Black Bolt (one of the more powerful characters in the Marvel Universe) being defeated off-panel is a grave injustice. If Hulk is gonna win that fight I want to know why. At its most powerful his voice would shred Hulk. As Medusa mentioned his master blow is also a force to be reckoned with. It feels like piss poor "Hulk can beat anything if he gets angry enough" writing.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gmanfromheck

NiteFly says:

"G-Man says:
"It would be kinda hard to scream with one of Hulk's giant fists in his mouth. He caught him by surprise. That's why and how he beat him to a pulp."

My point is that the artwork of the end of that issue gave me the impression that it would at least be a tremendous fight. Having Black Bolt (one of the more powerful characters in the Marvel Universe) being defeated off-panel is a grave injustice. If Hulk is gonna win that fight I want to know why. At its most powerful his voice would shred Hulk. As Medusa mentioned his master blow is also a force to be reckoned with. It feels like piss poor "Hulk can beat anything if he gets angry enough" writing."

Okay.

Sure it was cheap. I would hope it wasn't due to poor writing. Maybe it was. Maybe they felt it was unnecessary for the pacing of the issue. Maybe if people complain to Marvel, we'll get a rematch. It would be nice to actually see him smashing people.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Now, I've not read the whole topic, but here's my take on the matter:

The idea is that Hulk is far angrier and more powerful than he's ever been in the past, and this was meant to show that. What's happened to the Hulk is that he's attained a brand new level of power, and has shifted tiers entirely. Previously, no, he would not have been able to defeat Black Bolt, or even come close. But at his current state, he's on of the most powerful beings to set foot on Earth.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I know he's more powerful now, but enough to beat Black Bolt? Since his increase in power hasn't really been shown, there's no reason to say he's above Black Bolt. However stronger he may be, he still got blown away by a mere whisper. He wasn't just tossed back, you could see him starting to get ripped apart. That's just the beginning of what Black Bolt can do. If Black Bolt can tear Hulk up with a whisper, I think a full scream would put him down, and that's just his scream, not his energy or matter manipulation or his physical attacks (Master Blow). If they're making Hulk strong enough to withstand all of that (lame, this leads to Hulk > TOAA because he can reach "new levels of anger") then they should show it. Since they didn't, I don't think he's that strong and it's like fesak said.

fesak says:

"It seems to be it, because the actual fight took place off panel which means the writer couldn't figure out **how** Hulk would actually beat Black Bolt and just skipped to next page with BB beaten."
Blackjuggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Blackjuggy

Black Bolt because he has too many abilities.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Satyrquaze

Blackjuggy says:

"Black Bolt because he has too many abilities. "

Strange, according to their Comicvine bios, Blackbolt has 14 abilites/powers to Hulk's 17.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NiteFly

G-Man says:

"NiteFly says:
"G-Man says:

My point is that the artwork of the end of that issue gave me the impression that it would at least be a tremendous fight. Having Black Bolt (one of the more powerful characters in the Marvel Universe) being defeated off-panel is a grave injustice. If Hulk is gonna win that fight I want to know why. At its most powerful his voice would shred Hulk. As Medusa mentioned his master blow is also a force to be reckoned with. It feels like piss poor "Hulk can beat anything if he gets angry enough" writing."

Okay.

Sure it was cheap. I would hope it wasn't due to poor writing. Maybe it was. Maybe they felt it was unnecessary for the pacing of the issue. Maybe if people complain to Marvel, we'll get a rematch. It would be nice to actually see him smashing people. "

Along with unimaginative writing on their parts, pacing has also been a problem with their most recent major crossover events. That one I am not giving them for free.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Buckshot says:

"I know he's more powerful now, but enough to beat Black Bolt? Since his increase in power hasn't really been shown, there's no reason to say he's above Black Bolt. However stronger he may be, he still got blown away by a mere whisper. He wasn't just tossed back, you could see him starting to get ripped apart. That's just the beginning of what Black Bolt can do. If Black Bolt can tear Hulk up with a whisper, I think a full scream would put him down, and that's just his scream, not his energy or matter manipulation or his physical attacks (Master Blow). If they're making Hulk strong enough to withstand all of that (lame, this leads to Hulk > TOAA because he can reach "new levels of anger") then they should show it. Since they didn't, I don't think he's that strong and it's like fesak said.fesak says:
"It seems to be it, because the actual fight took place off panel which means the writer couldn't figure out **how** Hulk would actually beat Black Bolt and just skipped to next page with BB beaten."

"

I doubt Black Bolt DID scream, and the only effect his whisper seemed to have was give Hulk a nosebleed.

Sorry guys, like it or not, Hulk > Black Bolt now.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vrakmul

If blackbolt shouts at the top of his lungs the hulk will atomized.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

No, I didn't say he did scream, but if a short whisper was tearing him up (look at the page again and check out the shredded flesh hanging off his head when BB whispers), a prolonged scream would do a lot more damage. Until I see Hulk standing up to the best BB can dish out, Black Bolt > Hulk.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vrakmul

Beacuse bad writing shall not stop Black bolt from shouting at the top of his lungs the hulk will be reduced to atoms spread across the universe.

Shattered Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shattered Hand

I mean okay he is meant to be more powerful blah blah blah but I think the main irritation is that it was done off-screen...I just don't feel that its credit enough to Blackbolt for him to just get jobbed that hard without any explanation. Maybe he bust a batman and had his Anti Blackbolt Spray! But we will never know...hopefully The Sentry and Juggernaut will put up more of a fight...but I doubt it...I doubt it.../cry

Boken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Boken
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vrakmul

Boken says:

"#**HULK SUCKS**"

Amen Boken, Amen.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#36  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Could Hulk beat Blackbolt? Well yes he could, because it happened in World War Hulk 1. I personally would have never thought that possible, but he did, oh well....

at least wolverine wasn't in that comic

The Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The Trigger

Yeah, if Black Bolt were to unleash his full power, Hulk's body would shatter.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sling Shot

Black Bolt is capable of beating Hulk with a scream, but that is to unpredictable, Black Bolt could destroy Attilan so can't risk it. At this rate Hulk won't concede to anything less than a scream. Hulk's physical abilities are amped, regeneration included.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fesak  Moderator

After reading NA 31 i think that Black Bolt has been replaced by a Skrull. That's the only explanation to why Hulk beat him.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Satyrquaze

I really question who it was that Hulk beat up given the ending of Silent War.

Vex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By Vex

This is pretty much the answer that I got from the comic also. Also, let's wait and see how the rest of the comics play out until we write off BB vs the Hulk. Anything can happen...

Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The Mighty Thor

black bolt screams on top of his lungs destroyes the entire universe

Avatar image for the_iron_cavalier
The Iron Cavalier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clarification:

Black Bolt DID scream.

In the WWH Iron man special it shows you.

Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The Mighty Thor

The Iron Cavalier says:

"Clarification: Black Bolt DID scream. In the WWH Iron man special it shows you."

yea but he whisper

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gottheit

Remember, this isn't the old Hulk we all know and love/hate. He's not a dumb angry child just throwing his fists around. He's been trained in combat, and he's a lot more professional. It occurs to me that Hulk, realizing that Blackbolt has such a devastating weapon, pulled a rope-a-dope when Bolt pulls that first attack, then comes out with a Manhunt style execution before Bolt can draw in breath and exhale another scream. Also, like the guy with the Booster Gold avatar says, Hulk is far angrier now. He is just a completely different animal. I think Hulk could beat Blackbolt, because Hulk did beat Blackbolt...

Avatar image for the_unbeatable_hulk
The Unbeatable Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gottheit says:

"Remember, this isn't the old Hulk we all know and love/hate. He's not a dumb angry child just throwing his fists around. He's been trained in combat, and he's a lot more professional. It occurs to me that Hulk, realizing that Blackbolt has such a devastating weapon, pulled a rope-a-dope when Bolt pulls that first attack, then comes out with a Manhunt style execution before Bolt can draw in breath and exhale another scream. Also, like the guy with the Booster Gold avatar says, Hulk is far angrier now. He is just a completely different animal. I think Hulk could beat Blackbolt, because Hulk did beat Blackbolt..."

Hulk agrees. Hulk beat him.

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Bookman

Hulk has one of,if not the greatest healing factor in the marvel universe. In this old comic I read Wolverine cut Hulk's stomach so bad his guts were spilling out,but he healed from it in seconds.And that was just the Grey Hulk! But Black Bolt is one of the most powerful charecters in the Marvel Universe,his scream can stop just about anything. I think it's a toss up.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gottheit

That's a good point Book Man brings up. What's more, I think it's been said in this topic that Blackbolt already defeated Hulk once with his Sonic Scream. So, Hulk already knows how powerful it is. So it's entirely plausible that Hulk planned in advance how to counter the scream. Or, he could have done what the Saiyans do and healed so that the attack would be that much less effective...I dunno...

c40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By c40

please folks don't be ridiculous,hulk absorbed a blast that take down a planet leaves lifeless,and everything he has accomplished has taken away from him... in this state he could taken senrty down...that's my opininon of course

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Valkaad

c40 says:

"please folks don't be ridiculous,hulk absorbed a blast that take down a planet leaves lifeless,and everything he has accomplished has taken away from him... in this state he could taken senrty down...that's my opininon of course"

I can agree with that. The current hulk is more a force of nature than a man. I think he could give doomsday a run for his money.