Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Wonder Woman vs. Sinestro

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Wonder Woman vs. Sinestro (426 votes)

Wonder Woman 54%
Sinestro 41%
Too close to call 6%

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 20 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits.
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
  • Seeing as New 52 Wonder Woman doesn't have a wealthy amount of feats, this is pre-Flashpoint Wonder Woman.
  • And yes, this is pre-Parallax Sinestro.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#151  Edited By sinestro_GL

Sinestro takes this one.

The reasoning should be pretty straight-forward.

Firstly, with Sinestro, the OP's rules are not clear. It is not clear whether we are talking Green Lantern Sinestro, or Sinestro Corps Sinestro. Either way, this battle should favour the Korugan. Starting with the Green Lantern ring, Sinestro, before Hal Jordan came along, was touted as being the greatest Green Lantern of them all. His abilities as a Green Lantern has been clear for even newer readers in the events following War of the Green Lanterns. Not only has he been seen to out-construct Hal Jordan, he has also the knowledge of the Green Power Ring that was unknown to Hal Jordan. With the Green Power Ring being the most powerful weapon in the universe, it is most dangerous on the finger of Sinestro. Events that come into mind are the liberation of Korugar, the Battle against William Hand, and the fight against Volthoom (though the latter two didn't end well for reasons beyond Sinestro's control).

With all his knowledge of the green power ring, Sinestro was able to lead a successful attack on Oa as the founder of the Sinestro Corps - his actions going so far as to modify the abilities of the Green Power Ring, and had almost succeeded in his assault on Earth.

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, is one of DC's finest combatants, and easily one of the top warriors on offer, never conceding ground to any opponent - though I believe that this may work to Sinestro's advantage. Sinestro is quite the tactician, able to objectively do battle without his actions being clouded by anger, or other emotions.

Sinestro possesses an unwavering concentration that should see him best the Amazonian

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

@dondave: He did beat Kyle though in a H2H fight due to his greater combat experience superceding Kyle's training from Batman. Guess Batman doesn't always win :P

I know, I posted the scans...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@sinestro_gl: The problem with your reasoning is that whilst Sinestro is touted as being a better construct maker than Hal and doing things with the ring Hal didn't know were possible, powerhouses have been shown to be strong enough to shatter skilled Earth Lantern's constructs who for the reasons of panel time and bigger portrayal on Earth get the better feats with them. Yet certain powerhouses like Wonder Woman and Superman have shown the ability to one shot their constructs apart. And as for the the liberation of Korugar and his assault on Earth, you confuse prep time with on the go combat strategy. Sinestro had months to prepare for each of them, something he doesn't have here.

All in all, Sinestro does not have as many feats with the green ring as he does with the yellow one. Yes there is the very impressive planet busting durability feat but he lacks Wonder Woman's strength, speed, reactions, skill and strategy to fully employ his durability and versatility edge with the ring. That's what convinced me to side with Diana here.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have speed feats for sinestro? That's what I am still trying to figure out. Preferably reaction speed.

EtinArcadiaEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro takes this one.

The reasoning should be pretty straight-forward.

Firstly, with Sinestro, the OP's rules are not clear. It is not clear whether we are talking Green Lantern Sinestro, or Sinestro Corps Sinestro. Either way, this battle should favour the Korugan. Starting with the Green Lantern ring, Sinestro, before Hal Jordan came along, was touted as being the greatest Green Lantern of them all. His abilities as a Green Lantern has been clear for even newer readers in the events following War of the Green Lanterns. Not only has he been seen to out-construct Hal Jordan, he has also the knowledge of the Green Power Ring that was unknown to Hal Jordan. With the Green Power Ring being the most powerful weapon in the universe, it is most dangerous on the finger of Sinestro. Events that come into mind are the liberation of Korugar, the Battle against William Hand, and the fight against Volthoom (though the latter two didn't end well for reasons beyond Sinestro's control).

With all his knowledge of the green power ring, Sinestro was able to lead a successful attack on Oa as the founder of the Sinestro Corps - his actions going so far as to modify the abilities of the Green Power Ring, and had almost succeeded in his assault on Earth.

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, is one of DC's finest combatants, and easily one of the top warriors on offer, never conceding ground to any opponent - though I believe that this may work to Sinestro's advantage. Sinestro is quite the tactician, able to objectively do battle without his actions being clouded by anger, or other emotions.

Sinestro possesses an unwavering concentration that should see him best the Amazonian

You forget the ultimate super power for any one of the big three: the money maker. In all logic Sinestro should be able to decapitate Diana with a large number of razor sharp blades from a distance, but if the writers let that happen, it's the end of the cash cow with the tiara. So will they stick with the weakness to sharp object? Will they let constructs be numerous and fast enough for her not to be able to dodge them? Certainly not.

And I hate them for that, because just once I'd love to see a story where WW is not being saved by the "I'm a good and fierce little money making warrior princess" trump.

Please writers, hear me and let her be killed by Sinestro like she should.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Lvenger

You forget the ultimate super power for any one of the big three: the money maker. In all logic Sinestro should be able to decapitate Diana with a large number of razor sharp blades from a distance, but if the writers let that happen, it's the end of the cash cow with the tiara. So will they stick with the weakness to sharp object? Will they let constructs be numerous and fast enough for her not to be able to dodge them? Certainly not.

And I hate them for that, because just once I'd love to see a story where WW is not being saved by the "I'm a good and fierce little money making warrior princess" trump.

You're new here so I'll point this out to you for future references. Writer's influence or plot preservation has no bearing in a battle such as this. All that is used is the feats each character has shown and the arguments to support one's reasoning on why a character wins. Thus, the writers of the feats presented have no bearing on this debate unless it's to clarify the context of a particular feat. Hope this helps your understanding since you'll need to say more than this to justify Sinestro winning.

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with WW.

Mellow_Hype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW is easily on par with superman in terms of speed, power, etc. Shitty writers haven't really portrayed it but its true. Sinestro can't beat superman ie he can't beat wonder woman.

EtinArcadiaEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By EtinArcadiaEgo

@lvenger said:

@etinarcadiaego said:

You're new here so I'll point this out to you for future references. Writer's influence or plot preservation has no bearing in a battle such as this. All that is used is the feats each character has shown and the arguments to support one's reasoning on why a character wins. Thus, the writers of the feats presented have no bearing on this debate unless it's to clarify the context of a particular feat. Hope this helps your understanding since you'll need to say more than this to justify Sinestro winning.

Characters get feats mainly depending on their popularity i.e. their sales. My point is unfortunately absolutely valid and ignoring this is refusing to see the world as it is.

As for why Sinestro should win such an encounter, I have already explained: merciless cleverer better strategist and tactician with a weapon that can launch virtually an infinity of slicing objects from every direction to someone who is vulnerable to blades. You do the maths.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By New_World_Order

Sinestro could win, but I will say Wonder Woman.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@etinarcadiaego said:

Characters get feats mainly depending on their popularity i.e. their sales. My point is unfortunately absolutely valid and ignoring this is refusing to see the world as it is.

As for why Sinestro should win such an encounter, I have already explained: merciless cleverer better strategist and tactician with a weapon that can launch virtually an infinity of slicing objects from every direction to someone who is vulnerable to blades. You do the maths.

That's a ridiculous reason why "YOU" think he "WOULD" win.

But I guess it's the same as saying that she would win because of her shear strength, speed and reflexes beyond his thinking, better combatant and strategist, and overall willingness to not hold back at all.

EtinArcadiaEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanet62 said:

But I guess it's the same as saying that she would win because of her shear strength, speed and reflexes beyond his thinking, better combatant and strategist, and overall willingness to not hold back at all.

Interesting, contempt from someone I don't know because we don't have the same opinion. What is ridiculous in thinking that someone vulnerable to sharp objects like swords (from which she has suffered numerous injuries along the years) would be in danger of being killed by an infinity of those sharp objects flying fast towards her neck from every direction? Sinestro's ability to create efficient constructs is more than globally acknowledged by comics readers I believe. All WW strength won't bring her much help if she looses her head during the first nanosecond of the battle.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By TAneT62

@tanet62 said:

Interesting, contempt from someone I don't know because we don't have the same opinion. What is ridiculous in thinking that someone vulnerable to sharp objects like swords (from which she has suffered numerous injuries along the years) would be in danger of being killed by an infinity of those sharp objects flying fast towards her neck from every direction? Sinestro's ability to create efficient constructs is more than globally acknowledged by comics readers I believe. All WW strength won't bring her much help if she looses her head during the first nanosecond of the battle.

That's the entire point of her bracelets, she has blocked things far stronger and faster with little to no effort. Her speed is probably her biggest advantage, she can move faster than he can think.

Now, back to the point. You're practically saying she will loose because she'll be stabbed indefinitely by sharp objects and can do nothing about it, with his shields 'EFFICIENT" enough to give him another edge? Right, that sums up everything!

But no, that won't happen. Her adept reflexes, faster than that of Superman's, bracelets, strength and combat skills will prevent any of this from happening ... Please get a back round check on Diana before you make wrong assumptions ok?

EtinArcadiaEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanet62 said:

@etinarcadiaego said:

@tanet62 said:

That's the entire point of her bracelets, she has blocked things far stronger and faster with little to no effort. Her speed is probably her biggest advantage, she can move faster than he can think.

Now, back to the point. You're practically saying she will loose because she'll be stabbed indefinitely by sharp objects and can do nothing about it, with his shields 'EFFICIENT" enough to give him another edge? Right, that sums up everything!

But no, that won't happen. Her adept reflexes, faster than that of Superman's, bracelets, strength and combat skills will prevent any of this from happening ... Please get a back round check on Diana before you make wrong assumptions ok?

Not stabbed, decapitated. The history of this character is full of injuries by piercing or sharp objects and she got tagged by slow people in numerous occasions just like any other hero. The bracelets block things coming from one direction and even that don't work indefinitely. The constructs can come from all directions at once and travel faster than light. In all logic we should obtain a headless WW after less than a second of fight and certainly before she can land a punch on her opponent given the conditions stated in the op.
No need to check anything for that, there is no assuming there, just pure logic. Now I see you are all emotional and determined to be rude about all this, so this post concludes any further conversation with you. I didn't sign in to meet people who can not debate without keeping a cool head. Please do not include my name in further posts.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanet62 said:

@etinarcadiaego said:

@tanet62 said:

Not stabbed, decapitated. The history of this character is full of injuries by piercing or sharp objects and she got tagged by slow people in numerous occasions just like any other hero. The bracelets block things coming from one direction and even that don't work indefinitely. The constructs can come from all directions at once and travel faster than light. In all logic we should obtain a headless WW after less than a second of fight and certainly before she can land a punch on her opponent given the conditions stated in the op.

No need to check anything for that, there is no assuming there, just pure logic. Now I see you are all emotional and determined to be rude about all this, so this post concludes any further conversation with you. I didn't sign in to meet people who can not debate without keeping a cool head. Please do not include my name in further posts.

Oh come on, don't be so serious, not all debates have to be so cheesy serious.

Again, her bracelets only block things from one direction? True, but her reflexes allow her to block multiple things in every directions, and yes, she's done it before by blocking all the shards of a shattered god. Billions of shards travelling faster, or as fast, as the speed of light, yet she was able to block them. Her speed and reflexes will allow her to block anything that comes her way, there is no denying that. Yeah she's been tagged by lower tier idiots, but which speedster hasn't? She can move faster than he can think, faster than thought is the famous term.

No Caption Provided

Again, you're not even considering an effort for Diana, just a mere shoo on the shoulder like you would a fly. She's broken lantern constructs before, even defeated one, not as strong as Sinestro, but it still gives her a slight edge. Her strength and speed surpasses Sinestros by light years, and her combat skills are simply out of his league. Why don't you slowly consider things before passing them on as fact.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow how courteous a response from. Not rude or abbrassive in the slightest. Ignoring what I've said just shows how ignorant you truly are. The writers have no bearing on the outcome of this debate. Get that into your head if you can understand such a simple concept.

As for your flawed explanation, you sound like you know Sinestro. Tell me, in an in character fight, does he launch an infinite number of blades and slicing objects against his foes? No didn't think so because he doesn't do that in character and I know Sinestro well too. And if you really think Sinestro is a better tactician, you need to learn more about Wonder Woman as she's come up with on the go strategies against Green Lanterns on the fly and has worked with 3 of them over the years. So you do the math on how long it'd take her to find a strategy to penetrate Sinestro's defenses. Word of advice newbie, don't bite off more than you can chew so early on. It won't end well for you in the future capiche?