• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (38552 posts) 11 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Wonder Woman vs. Sinestro (417 votes)

Wonder Woman 53%
Sinestro 41%
Too close to call 6%

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 20 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits.
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
  • Seeing as New 52 Wonder Woman doesn't have a wealthy amount of feats, this is pre-Flashpoint Wonder Woman.
  • And yes, this is pre-Parallax Sinestro.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#101 Posted by Laughingstock (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman lassos him and he admits that he has always secretly been a brony, Wonder Woman threatens to blackmail him unless he surrenders. Win

#102 Edited by MonsterStomp (16671 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sticking with my first reason why I think Wonder Woman takes the victory.

Wonder Woman's main advantage in this battle is her speed and bracelets. As I've mentioned earlier, 20 feet isn't that far and I see no problem for Dianna to close the gap before Sinestro pulls off something crafty. She has kept up with Flash in the past. Even if Sinestro pulled something out of his pocket, Dianna has deflected bullets while blind folded, she has blocked Darkseid's omega beams, even Superman's heat vision couldn't phase her bracelets. Another advantage I'd give to Wonder Woman is her knowledge with the ring. She has fought lanterns before and in a random encounter with a well known villain, I see no reason for Wonder Woman to entirely hold back.

In addition, Dianna is one of, if not the most formidable Amazonian warrior. Her expertise in combat coupled with her reflexes make her a deadly opponent in close quarters. She is arguably faster than Superman in combat speed.

#103 Edited by MonsterStomp (16671 posts) - - Show Bio
#104 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (11971 posts) - - Show Bio
#105 Posted by Saren (25554 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

Your point makes no sense whatsoever. Sinestro's survival was contingent upon the durability that the ring granted him, not any resistance to time alterations. To kill Sinestro, Volthoom would have had to turn back time so far that Sinestro never received his ring, and he was never capable of making alterations stretching back decades apart from the fantasy-nightmares that he put the other Lanterns in. Volthoom simply didn't care if Sinestro lived or died. These are hardly groundbreaking behavioral tendencies for supervillains. Really, I could just ask you to provide concrete proof in the form of a statement no matter how tiny from anywhere in a comic book or interview, and that would end this particular debate right then and there because you know there's nothing you could produce to that effect.

Feels like nitpicking, but yes, rings have protected Lanterns against time effect before. Back in the days when Action Comics was weekly for a while, Hal used to keep himself in one timeframe while everything in a certain radius around him was in another timeframe, frozen still.

Really? You're arguing that Darkseid thought it was real, so it must be real? Because Darkseid's kind of the go-to guy on the Omega Beams? New Gods #10. Darkseid fires the Omega Beams at Superman to kill him, they fail to kill Superman, and Darkseid literally states "No one has ever fought my Omega Beams. Not even Orion." Characters overestimate and underestimate other characters all the time. Again, this is not groundbreaking territory for supervillains.

Am I supposed to value Batman's assumption that she was as powerful as Clark over instances like the fight in War of the Supermen where Clark chumped her without even trying? Or the time in the early issues of Supergirl volume 5, written by none other than the same writer who wrote the same arc of Superman/Batman that you're quoting, where Clark points out plainly and explicitly that no matter what Kara or anyone else thinks of her capabilities, he could take her down every single time if he had to?

Superman gets plenty of scratches. The next time Toyman builds an oversized teddy bear that breaks Clark's jaw, ask yourself if said mammalian monstrosity is capable of doing any kind of damage to an entire planet. Prime is considerably stronger, faster and tougher than Clark, and he has also casually sliced through Clark's flesh like it was hot cheese. Additionally, the only time Prime ever destroyed a planet was when he was packing the Oan energy amp.

You're still missing the damn point; Sinestro only survived because Volthoom allowed it.

Yeah and when Action was weekly, it was called the Silver Age where the ring could also make Kryptonite and when Bizzaro could punch Superman back to the age of dinosaurs.

And wasn't New Gods before COIE?

If I am not mistaken, Superman is talking to Batman and is basically just defending his manhood the same way he had to when Diana claimed she could beat him through skill and Batman agreed with her.

Even before the energy amp, Prime was the one that pushed Thanagar out of orbit to trigger the war with Rann. And just two weeks ago we saw Ultraman push the moon into stationary orbit to block the sun. And no, at base he's not that much more powerful than Clark that have managed to stalemate him on his own. The main difference is that Prime never holds back.

Completely made up. There's no way you can actually prove this and you know it.

Action Comics was weekly in 1989. The Crisis was in 1986.

........no? There were two volumes of New Gods set after COIE. The one I referenced is from the mid-90's.

Yes, Superman is clearly the type of character who defends his manhood all the time.

Pushing a planet through space is not slicing through it like hot cheese. Ultraman pushing the moon is not only from a different continuity, but it is also not slicing through a planet like hot cheese. At base, he is. There's always the fight in LO3W where he blows holes through Clark like he's made of wet paper if you doubt that.

#106 Posted by jaybefre (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Was really hoping this match was going to be Wonder Woman vs. Wonder Man. Now that would be an interesting match to debate. We've already seen Wonder Woman, Superman and even Martian Manhunter power types (powerhouses) dominate ringslingers. We even saw in the DCUO trailer Green Lantern get owned by Black Adam. This one isn't even worth debating. As much as I love Sinestro he is simply outclassed. Wonder Woman is a part of the Trinity making her one of the top 3 heroes in all the DC Universe. Sorry Sinestro this is not a good match up for you.

#107 Edited by tparks (4678 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang, I don't think I've voted with the majority yet. lol

#108 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (11971 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaybefre said:

Was really hoping this match was going to be Wonder Woman vs. Wonder Man. Now that would be an interesting match to debate.

HAHAHAHA, NOPE! No that would not be an interesting debate and it's been done before with Wonder Woman damn near stomping every thread.

@jaybefre said:

We even saw in the DCUO trailer Green Lantern get owned by Black Adam.

That is a video game that takes place in an alternate future....here we debate comics, so why are you bringing that up like it's relevant

@jaybefre said:

This one isn't even worth debating. As much as I love Sinestro he is simply outclassed.

That's completely untrue, he packs more destructive energy and his shields have allowed him to shrug off planetary destruction...he may be outclassed in areas such as skill, speed and physical strength, but he's not "simply outclassed"...where did you get that idea?

@jaybefre said:

Wonder Woman is a part of the Trinity making her one of the top 3 heroes in all the DC Universe. Sorry Sinestro this is not a good match up for you.

Okay, now you're just making things up...since when has being apart of the DC trinity made anyone the top anything in DC Universe, also since when did being in the DC Trinity mean you can win a fight against someone just for that reason and no other? I can name 10 characters off the top of my head, some of them being heroes and some being villains, who have outright stomped each of the trinity or are just better in general. Darkseid, Doomsday, Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom, Dr. Fate, Alan Scott, Oblivion, Zoom, Hour Man, Infinity Man. All of these guys can or has either beat or outright stomp Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman...some could beat them all at the same time...being in the DC Trinity doesn't mean a damn thing and Sinestro is a difficult opponent for Wonder Woman as any of the top 10 Lantern's should be.

#109 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...that's close. But I'll have to say that Wonder Woman might just have a bit more of an edge with her pre-Flashpoint power levels than Sinestro's pre-Parallax might. The Amazon Princess all the way...

#110 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio

TECHNICALLY pre-flashpoint Wonder Woman was this.

#111 Edited by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Ah I see. So you think it would have fairer to give Sinestro his yellow ring given his greater number of feats with that than the green ring?

@degraaf I fail to see how. That version of Diana barely has 2 years worth of feats whereas Pre Flashpoint Wonder Woman is much more well rounded in what she can do with her powers, abilities and equipment.

@ancient_0f_days Knew I could count on you to support Diana well mate! And I needed some kind of consolidation in Diana's feats to see if I would lean towards her. Which I am starting to do now.

@whinehaus She's not going to go all out instantly. It's an in character fight and Sinestro is far more willing to use lethal, all out force from the outset of this fight. However, you are correct in positing that Diana is definitely likely to resort to more force later on.

And of course skill does play an important factor along with strategy too. And Diana does outclass Sinestro in both those areas as well.

Finally, I am starting to think the same way in relation to your third paragraph. I'm going to take some more time to think and make a verdict but I'm starting to lean towards Diana now.

#112 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (11971 posts) - - Show Bio
#113 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Preferably yes, but what can I do

#114 Edited by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

OK I've finally made up my mind. Though this is clearly going to be a close match up that neither combatant could take without a slim majority, I've finally opted for Wonder Woman being the fighter to take that slim majority. Diana has the reactions to easily defend against Sinestro's ranged constructs given that she blocks heat vision with ease along with the trillion shards of a reforming dark god and all that. Not to mention her impressive combat speed edge. She's outpaced Amazo's sentence in combat, tagged Wally (though he was moving in the shape of a starfish) along with other speedsters and she's been stated to be faster than thought on panel. A move like that against Sinestro can make all the difference.

Then there's her strength and striking advantage. Sinestro hasn't shown to be in many fights with powerhouses but usually, top tier powerhouses like Superman and Wonder Woman have been able to make a dent if not shatter the constructs of well versed Earth Lanterns like Hal Jordan or John Stewart. And Wonder Woman's fights with Superman, Captain Marvel etc along with her striking feats in many other fights has definitely shown to be in that top level of hitting power. Those kinds of hits against Sinestro may well severely hamper the integrity of his shields against such a force, particularly if Diana decides to use her speed in tandem which she does so on a regular basis in combat.

Of course, Wonder Woman doesn't have a huge edge against Sinestro. He tanked a planet busting attack with minor cuts and rips in his uniform. Barely a serious injury in sight. And even if Sinestro's impressive plethora of ranged construct attacks don't get past Diana at long range, he can do just fine at close range as well. Diana has often been hurt by close ranged attacks and Sinestro has been able to put a hole in the reality warper Volthoom with a construct drill. Diana would need to be seriously careful about those kind of attacks. However, a big reason why I don't take Sinestro for a majority is that he's wearing a Green ring here. He's easily one of the most skilled GL users, perhaps moreso than Hal but he doesn't have many feats with a green ring as opposed to a yellow one.

Despite this danger, I still feel that Diana has the all the versatility in power and speed to grant her the slim majority of wins over Sinestro. And there's also her skill and strategy to boot. She's worked with multiple GLs on the League so she should be familiar with what Sinestro can do. If not, she is a quick on the draw combatant as well so she should be able to strategise a path to victory eventually. And she can even bind Sinestro in her lasso if she's fast enough to incapacitate him. And if push comes to shove, she'll be willing to kill Sinestro in the end if she thinks it's the only way to stop him.

#115 Edited by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: I suppose that's partly why I've gone for Diana now. I couldn't make up my mind yesterday but fresh arguments and scans have lent me towards Diana taking the majority. And I see she's winning with a 9% edge. At least I didn't make my vote based on popularity :P

#116 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (11971 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dondave: At least I didn't make my vote based on popularity :P

Don't remind me of last week...it never happened O_o

#117 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dondave: At least I didn't make my vote based on popularity :P

Don't remind me of last week...it never happened O_o

I know, I'm still bemused by the massive difference in the votes between Nightcrawler and Gambit. I'd have been annoyed if it was vice versa with Gambit too but Kurt would never take that big an edge over Gambit IMO.

#118 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (11971 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Agreed, I believe Gambit would win also but not by any more than 55-60%. I think the polls were so skewed due to Nightcrawler's heavy fan base, he's been a direct main character in almost all of the cartoon shows (much moreso than Gambit), he's been in one one of the best X-men films to date (X-2) and he's been in the video game adaptation of said movie. He's just had more screen time in general, more time to build up a strong and biased fanbase. That and almost everyone forgot the meaning of Morals On.

#119 Posted by TAneT62 (1059 posts) - - Show Bio

Diana.

She reacts faster than he can think, strength on par with Superman, combat abilities on par with Batman.

She is one of the most ruthless DC powerhouses, even more so than Captain Marvel, Superman, MM, etc. She's not afraid to kill when necessary, and won't hold back in a fight to the death. She's more dangerous than Sinestro in my eyes.

I don't know much about Sinestro, so please shed some light, not that over exaggerated shit we tend to get when asking for more background info on other heroes.

#121 Posted by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man said:

this shouldn't be about pre-52 wonderwoman?

#122 Posted by Schmalzel (339 posts) - - Show Bio

I will have to go with the Amazon, she can break his constructs, and is a great tactician so she can fight and keep up with him and he will get weaker as the Amazon will be more then durable enough to outlast him.

#123 Edited by RBT (4132 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

@g_man said:

this shouldn't be about pre-52 wonderwoman?

WW- This isn't giving me any pleasure. But I'm sure you've heard THAT before.

Is it only me, or is there really a double meaning?

#124 Posted by MonsterStomp (16671 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: Obviously lol.

#125 Posted by Outside_85 (8519 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Completely made up. There's no way you can actually prove this and you know it.

2) Pushing a planet through space is not slicing through it like hot cheese. Ultraman pushing the moon is not only from a different continuity, but it is also not slicing through a planet like hot cheese. At base, he is. There's always the fight in LO3W where he blows holes through Clark like he's made of wet paper if you doubt that.

1) Sinestro is there, his people and his planet is not. It's right there on the page.

2) Slicing through something like a planet requires only for Superman to be more durable than the planet and immense speed (the faster he goes the heavier he becomes). It's been stated over and over that Superman is just about the only good guy that can come close to matching the Flash in sheer speed, similarly it's been established that the only things that can really get through his skin is kryptonite, red sunlight and magic when not involving beings in possession of comparable physical power, just about everything else just bounces off his hide.

#126 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were playing @citizenbane's advocate here (which I probably couldn't do) then wouldn't the simple argument here be this: Sinestro just tanked a planet exploding with little harm (and little prep). Wonder Woman has never displayed such strength or reciprocal durability. As such, Wonder Woman cannot put a single dent in Sinestro. Sinestro would eventually pull off something (he did manage to beat Mongul, a Superman level brick with like, 7 Sinestro Corps. rings on his hands). Ergo, Sinestro wins? Or is that too simple? What possible counter-argument is there to "Wonder Woman has never proven to have the striking power of what Sinestro is capable of defending against"?

I really hate that argument (my gut feeling is that Wondy wins), but is there any real logical counter point to be made here?

#127 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: The internal flaw with that argument though is your point that Sinestro would eventually pull off a victory like he did against Mongul. Sinestro only beat Mongul because of a fail safe in the ring he installed to control them and incapacitate Mongul. As for the rest of your argument, it can be countered with the assertion that top tier powerhouses like Superman have been able to punch through constructs from Earth Lanterns like John Stewart and Wonder Woman has been shown to be in a similar class of striking power. Similarly, it can also be asserted that Diana's defenses and bracers will be enough to counter Sinestro's attack at range.

#128 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: But then I could (I'm really just playing devil's advocate here I probably agree with you) just as easily point out that Sinestro is a cut above the rest and has actually shown more prowess with the ring than any other Earth lantern or other GL rookies and as such could do more with the ring? As in, Hal/Kyle/John/Guy have never tanked a planet point blank with no warning? If they have, then I would like to see the scans (because it would be awesome :D)

#129 Posted by Saren (25554 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

1) Completely made up. There's no way you can actually prove this and you know it.

2) Pushing a planet through space is not slicing through it like hot cheese. Ultraman pushing the moon is not only from a different continuity, but it is also not slicing through a planet like hot cheese. At base, he is. There's always the fight in LO3W where he blows holes through Clark like he's made of wet paper if you doubt that.

1) Sinestro is there, his people and his planet is not. It's right there on the page.

2) Slicing through something like a planet requires only for Superman to be more durable than the planet and immense speed (the faster he goes the heavier he becomes). It's been stated over and over that Superman is just about the only good guy that can come close to matching the Flash in sheer speed, similarly it's been established that the only things that can really get through his skin is kryptonite, red sunlight and magic when not involving beings in possession of comparable physical power, just about everything else just bounces off his hide.

Not really. What's there on the page is Sinestro surviving the destruction of Korugar because of the durability his ring granted him. His people and planet did not survive because they did not have rings and thus such durability was not afforded to them. That is literally the only thing on the page. This idea that Sinestro survived because Volthoom decided to be a stand-up guy after murdering a whole planet is entirely your idea, and it is supported by precisely nothing. Let's not kid ourselves, this line of argument has no basis in reality whatsoever.

So you're arguing subjective hypotheticals over displayed capabilities? Already knew that.

#130 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: The problem with WW using her bracers is that it can't protect her whole body no matter how fast she is. Sinestro could surround her in a sphere of projectiles that launch at the same time. She's eventually going to be hit by multiple projectiles and she ha much better defence to Blunt Force Trauma than piercing damage.

I would go into a detailed analysis but most of his feats I would use are from his time as a Sinestro Lantern and while he could probably still accomplish them I can't exactly show them.

#131 Posted by ThomasElliot (362 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman. Because Sinestro is a villain, despite his sometimes anti-hero tendencies. Villains always lose.

Other than that, WW lasso would make Sinestro cry about his planet and he'd break down emotionally, opening up to more blind-rage mistakes.

Any character that is a rager, loses. Even the Hulk only wins if its Banner-Hulk (even in the Avengers movie, he had to be Banner Hulk to be effective).

Rage = LOSE. Every time.

#132 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

@lvenger: But then I could (I'm really just playing devil's advocate here I probably agree with you) just as easily point out that Sinestro is a cut above the rest and has actually shown more prowess with the ring than any other Earth lantern or other GL rookies and as such could do more with the ring? As in, Hal/Kyle/John/Guy have never tanked a planet point blank with no warning? If they have, then I would like to see the scans (because it would be awesome :D)

John Stewart survived the explosion of Xanshi with ease and was sobbing about it in the aftermath with no injuries himself.

This third one is proof Xanshi was blown to itty bitty pieces

Hal and Guy have shown similar mastery over the ring as well along with possible planet busting tanking feats so it's not unreasonable to say they can survive planet busting attacks. And Sinestro is a cut above Hal in wielding a ring as he does things Hal doesn't know about. But Diana is familiar with what Lanterns can do along with being a skilled fighter and powerhouse herself. I find myself leaning more towards Diana taking an edge.

@dondave said:

@lvenger: The problem with WW using her bracers is that it can't protect her whole body no matter how fast she is. Sinestro could surround her in a sphere of projectiles that launch at the same time. She's eventually going to be hit by multiple projectiles and she ha much better defence to Blunt Force Trauma than piercing damage.

I would go into a detailed analysis but most of his feats I would use are from his time as a Sinestro Lantern and while he could probably still accomplish them I can't exactly show them.

It protected her from the blast fired at her by the entire Olympian Pantheon where at least one of them has confirmed Skyfather feats. And she's tanked nukes, lava, alien weapons and more easily. As for your other point, your claim is dependent on whether Sinestro can replicate the same things he did with a yellow ring which I find to be an unsubstantial claim. The rings work differently based on different emotions and you can't apply the feats for one ring onto another.

#133 Posted by Outside_85 (8519 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. What's there on the page is Sinestro surviving the destruction of Korugar because of the durability his ring granted him. His people and planet did not survive because they did not have rings and thus such durability was not afforded to them. That is literally the only thing on the page. This idea that Sinestro survived because Volthoom decided to be a stand-up guy after murdering a whole planet is entirely your idea, and it is supported by precisely nothing. Let's not kid ourselves, this line of argument has no basis in reality whatsoever.

So you're arguing subjective hypotheticals over displayed capabilities? Already knew that.

It's supported by what is on the page, what isn't supported is your idea that somehow Sinestro is immune to Volthoom's tamperings with his ring, in fact it's proven to be the opposite.

It's not hypothetical, it's the law of momentum.

#134 Posted by Saren (25554 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

It's supported by what is on the page, what isn't supported is your idea that somehow Sinestro is immune to Volthoom's tamperings with his ring, in fact it's proven to be the opposite.

It's not hypothetical, it's the law of momentum.

Volthoom was not tampering with Sinestro's ring. He was not doing anything to Sinestro's ring. You are the only one saying that.

Sure it is.

#135 Posted by EtinArcadiaEgo (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro is more devious, cleverer and more determined, he is also a way better strategist. Now no comics writer will ever let him win against one of the big three.

We will unfortunately never see Sinestro use a massive faster than light green or yellow blade to cut WW's head clean off. That is sad given how logical it would be and given that it would also rid us of a very boring female cliché, but eh, comics writers need to eat too...

#136 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

It protected her from the blast fired at her by the entire Olympian Pantheon where at least one of them has confirmed Skyfather feats. And she's tanked nukes, lava, alien weapons and more easily. As for your other point, your claim is dependent on whether Sinestro can replicate the same things he did with a yellow ring which I find to be an unsubstantial claim. The rings work differently based on different emotions and you can't apply the feats for one ring onto another.

Yes but she's also been hurt by arrows and cut by swords, she much more susceptible to piercing damage, something Sinestro can easily replicate.

Yes, however you wouldn't suggest Hal became more or less powerful when he became a Sinestro Lantern, the only real difference between their rings is that Sinestro Lantern's can reveal people's fear and make them into constructs. But like I already said I'm not going to bother attempting to.

Also I don't get the need to limit him to his Green Lantern showings, New 52 Wonder Woman has more showing than Sinestro's entire Post-Crisis Chronology.

#137 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Yes but she's also been hurt by arrows and cut by swords, she much more susceptible to piercing damage, something Sinestro can easily replicate.

Yes, however you wouldn't suggest Hal became more or less powerful when he became a Sinestro Lantern, the only real difference between their rings is that Sinestro Lantern's can reveal people's fear and make them into constructs. But like I already said I'm not going to bother attempting to.

Also I don't get the need to limit him to his Green Lantern showings, New 52 Wonder Woman has more showing than Sinestro's entire Post-Crisis Chronology.

A fair point and it's something Sinestro could do given the drill he made hurt Volthoom. But Diana does have a good healing factor to counter that.

It does depend on the user's adeptness at wielding the pertinent emotion though you have to admit.

Nor do I. Sinestro's yellow ring showings aren't that much different from his GL ones and give him a much better chance feat wise. Maybe it's because Arkillo, a Sinestro Lantern, was used in the Hulk match up and Gregg wanted a GL Sinestro instead.

#138 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dondave said:

A fair point and it's something Sinestro could do given the drill he made hurt Volthoom. But Diana does have a good healing factor to counter that.

It does depend on the user's adeptness at wielding the pertinent emotion though you have to admit.

Nor do I. Sinestro's yellow ring showings aren't that much different from his GL ones and give him a much better chance feat wise. Maybe it's because Arkillo, a Sinestro Lantern, was used in the Hulk match up and Gregg wanted a GL Sinestro instead.

Her healing factor won't help recover form a decapitation or being poked through with multiple constructs like what he did to Mongul and IIRC she has to be connected to the Earth or something like that to heal effectively.

#139 Posted by Patera_All (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro is one of my favorite villains, but a random encounter, no prep, twenty feet apart, no innocent bystanders... Wonder Woman 9.5/10. She can shatter constructs, has every physical stat advantage, and is a far superior combatant. Not to mention she knows who Sinestro is, has every reason to take him seriously, and under these circumstances, there is no reason for her to hold back. Seems pretty cut-and-dry in a straight-up fight like this one :/

#140 Edited by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: If Sinestro tries one of those attacks up close, he'll leave himself vulnerable to an assault from Diana who'll hold no quarters pummelling Sinestro at that close range before he can stab her.

#141 Edited by jashro44 (20479 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dondave: If Sinestro tries one of those attacks up close, he'll leave himself vulnerable to an assault from Diana who'll hold no quarters pummelling Sinestro at that close range before he can stab her.

Sinestro isn't the close combat type if my understanding of his power set is correct. He is probably going to try and keep his distance.

#142 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Well, I'll be damned. Now all we need is a scan of Modern Age Diana capable of destroying a construct of said Green Lanterns and Diana just might have a chance.

#143 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@lvenger said:

Sinestro isn't the close combat type if my understanding of his power set is correct. He is probably going to try and keep his distance.

His GL feats have him flying up and punching Volthoom straight in the face along with using a construct drill up close to pierce him. The rings can be used for ranged and close quarters combat.

@hart7668 said:

@lvenger: Well, I'll be damned. Now all we need is a scan of Modern Age Diana capable of destroying a construct of said Green Lanterns and Diana just might have a chance.

That's a little harder to find of Diana specifically. Not certain she has shattered their constructs per se though she hardly comes into conflict with Green Lanterns or other ring wielders in her stories.

#144 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

He doesn't need to get close to her, he could stay in they sky while his constructs deal with her, also regarding Volthoom, the guy was about to destroy his planet, I don't know who wouldn't want to get up close and personal.

#145 Edited by DragonEscarlata (363 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually voted for Diana, but people are seriously downplaying Sinestro's H2H skills. In Sinestro Corps War, he held his own vs. Kyle and Hal at the same time, in pure hand to hand, since their three rings were out of power.

(Sorry for the size, but I'm not at home and couldn't find a bigger pic)

#146 Edited by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually voted for Diana, but people are seriously downplaying Sinestro's H2H skills. In Sinestro Corps War, he held his own vs. Kyle and Hal at the same time, in pure hand to hand, since their three rings were out of power.

(Sorry for the size, but I'm not at home and couldn't find a bigger pic)

He doesn't really fight them H2H in that instance. He's not on Diana's level of skill but he's not untrained either although I don't see the battle going H2H anyway

#147 Posted by DragonEscarlata (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Yes, it does. This is only the first page, but it goes by 1 or 2 more pages (IIRC), 10 panels or so, Hal uses a Manhunter's severed head to drain Sinestro's ring and after that he gives as much as he takes some serious hits.

Anyway, I'm not saying Sinestro is on par with WW, but he is not as helpless as some think he is.

Damn! I couldn't find the whole fight, but here you have the full page and one more panel:

#148 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonescarlata: Sinestro doesn't display any real fighting skills there all he did was punch Kyle and grapple for the rest of the fight

#149 Posted by DragonEscarlata (363 posts) - - Show Bio
#150 Posted by Lvenger (19042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: He did beat Kyle though in a H2H fight due to his greater combat experience superceding Kyle's training from Batman. Guess Batman doesn't always win :P