• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) 11 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Superior Spider-Man/Hobgoblin (Phil) vs. Wolverine/Omega Red (295 votes)

Superior Spider-Man & Hobgoblin (Phil) 36%
Wolverine & Omega Red 58%
Too close to call 5%

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character and have standard gear.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits.
  • Phil begins already in the air (let's assume roughly 20 feet high).
  • Wolverine does have his healing factor.
  • As stated above, teammates are not being forced to use teamwork or help one another. That said, they will not focus their efforts to hurt their teammate, nor are they obligated to help, either. For example, if Wolverine is in dire trouble, Omega Red may simply smile and not come to his aid (again, just an example and not saying that's what would actually happen). How they'd act in this situation is entirely up for debate. They want to win the fight, but keep in mind, they are indeed in character as well.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
  • It's not mandatory, but if you take time to vote, elaborating as well would be extra awesome. Keep things informative and your post could be the next Viner Argument of the Week!

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in this thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#1 Edited by Wolverine08 (42308 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't kept up to date with Superior Spider-Man, so I'll have to wait to hear about his capabilities before I cast my vote.

#2 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by ThorBoy (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Healing factors win this. Goblin laugh is lethal but Red's tendrils will take out the rookie goblin. Wolvie won't kill Spock but if he's pushed far enough he will incapacitate him non lethally.

Spock's ego and hobgoblins inexperience will provide the win for Logan and Arkady

#4 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

I might come back with some more thoughts (probably not though, not really feeling up to it this week, and I am pretty sure I will be on the losing side of the votes), but I'll throw this out: this is Phil as the Hobgoblin, and as such has his lunatic laugh, which can incapacitate his foes if not prepped for it...it is a sonic attack FYI...

#5 Posted by jashro44 (21829 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

I might come back with some more thoughts, but I'll throw this out: this is Phil as the Hobgoblin, and as such has his lunatic laugh, which can incapacitate his foes if not prepped for it...it is a sonic attack FYI...

IIRC isn't Otto prepared for it? I forget the details of what happened in the hob goblin story....

#6 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

I might come back with some more thoughts, but I'll throw this out: this is Phil as the Hobgoblin, and as such has his lunatic laugh, which can incapacitate his foes if not prepped for it...it is a sonic attack FYI...

IIRC isn't Otto prepared for it? I forget the details of what happened in the hob goblin story....

I am sure SpOck would be. Pete was the one who actually prepped for it and took out Phil with his prep. When he faced SpOck, I don't think it was actually used that I can remember. Wolvie and Omega Red on the other hand...

#7 Posted by jashro44 (21829 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

I am sure SpOck would be. Pete was the one who actually prepped for it and took out Phil with his prep. When he faced SpOck, I don't think it was actually used that I can remember.

I remember Phil screaming when there were innocent people around and claiming it wouldn't work on Otto. I believe that happened.

#8 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

I am sure SpOck would be. Pete was the one who actually prepped for it and took out Phil with his prep. When he faced SpOck, I don't think it was actually used that I can remember.

I remember Phil screaming when there were innocent people around and claiming it wouldn't work on Otto. I believe that happened.

Could be, will have to go back and look in a bit...

#9 Posted by Shawnbaby (10774 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior can hold his own against either Wolverine or OR....and if Phil keeps his range than neither OR or Wolverine will be able to touch him. However, Phil likes to incapacitate with his Lunatic Laugh and then move in close to finish off with his sword....if he tries that here he's going to be put down hard as soon as he gets close.

#10 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior can hold his own against either Wolverine or OR....and if Phil keeps his range than neither OR or Wolverine will be able to touch him. However, Phil likes to incapacitate with his Lunatic Laugh and then move in close to finish off with his sword....if he tries that here he's going to be put down hard as soon as he gets close.

Do Wolvie or OR have some sort of resistance to sonic attacks that would allow this? Or are you basing this off of him dropping the laugh before the kill?

#11 Edited by Shawnbaby (10774 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

Do Wolvie or OR have some sort of resistance to sonic attacks that would allow this? Or are you basing this off of him dropping the laugh before the kill?

I'm basing this on their Durability and willingness to work through Pain. Add to that that getting close to Omega Red is a Death Sentence all by itself.

#12 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

I'm pretty sure you're correct. It was when SpOck cornered Phil in the middle of the street and he attempted to use his scream to harm the civilians in order to get Spidey to back down but SpOck wasn't having it, was prepared and didn't care for the people.

#13 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1

#14 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

I'm basing this on their Durability and willingness to work through Pain. Add to that that getting close to Omega Red is a Death Sentence all by itself.

I think the durability and willingness to work through pain angle could be debated versus the laugh (it took out Pete who was exceedingly durable and willing to work through pain), BUT I do see where you are coming from. Thanks for the clarification.

#15 Edited by Wolverine08 (42308 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, it feels terrible to have absolutely no knowledge on one team, and have no legs to argue on.

#16 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

I'm pretty sure you're correct. It was when SpOck cornered Phil in the middle of the street and he attempted to use his scream to harm the civilians in order to get Spidey to back down but SpOck wasn't having it, was prepared and didn't care for the people.

I just double checked. SpOck is prepped for that. It happened in the Daily Bugle offices, but otherwise went pretty much like that.

#17 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, it feels terrible to have absolutely no knowledge on one team, and have no legs to argue on.

I'm decently well versed in both...just too tired and have too much studying to do currently to make a concerted go of it=(

#18 Posted by jashro44 (21829 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: All right thank you for the confirmation. I am drawing a blank on a lot thats happened in suepioer spider-man for some reason...

#19 Posted by Shawnbaby (10774 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

I think the durability and willingness to work through pain angle could be debated versus the laugh (it took out Pete who was exceedingly durable and willing to work through pain), BUT I do see where you are coming from. Thanks for the clarification.

Pete's Durability and willingness to work through pain, while very impressive, pales compared to Logan's and Arkady's. And Phil has no defence against OR's Death Spores.

#20 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@deranged_midget: All right thank you for the confirmation. I am drawing a blank on a lot thats happened in suepioer spider-man for some reason...

Self induced memory loss due to anger issues over the death of Pete?

#21 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawnbaby said:

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

Pete's Durability and willingness to work through pain, while very impressive, pales compared to Logan's and Arkady's. And Phil has no defence against OR's Death Spores.

Don't know man, he has some top tier durability and pain management feats, I don't think he is too far behind with the battles/beatings he has survived. The spores, well, I'll have to think on that=P

Have to be honest though, not sure I am going to try too hard to debate this one...I need some sleep=)

#22 Edited by jashro44 (21829 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong: I don't really know....At first I thought it could have been interesting and I figured Peters death wouldn't have bothered me (he will probably be back by the time amazing spider-man 2 comes out) but I just haven't been that interested for some reason....

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

No problem good sir.

#24 Edited by hobanho (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Phil is the weak link here, he can go, but he can't take either Logan or Red. Omega Red can be a monster, taken out teams of xmen and had Logan, creed and maverick on the ropes by himself. Doc spidey is a bad dude, but eventually it will be him vs both of them and it'll be over

#25 Posted by GhostRider29 (2673 posts) - - Show Bio

Oops. I posted in the wrong one. Lol

Omega red is the main threat, while wolverine is no push over. I think Omega Red/ Wolverine would take this 6/10 times. As long as Wolverine is paired against hob goblin, not Superior spidey.

There we go. :)

#26 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong: I don't really know....At first I thought it could have been interesting and I figured Peters death wouldn't have bothered me (he will probably be back by the time amazing spider-man 2 comes out) but I just haven't been that interested for some reason....

Pete's death did bother me, but Slott did allow for Pete to show some actual growth in his run. I am still betting that Slott had a plan in mind from the beginning for Pete's eventual return, but the dark Spidey angle doesn't entirely do it for me, as I have plenty of dark heroes to read about, and the book is lacking the humor angle for me. I have kept up with events, but am only doing so with a mildly passing interest...

#27 Posted by krspaceT (1484 posts) - - Show Bio

You'd think they'd just kill each other off and have no one remain?

#28 Posted by Owie (3741 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems to me that the Spidey/Hobgoblin team has a pretty good advantage here. First, Phil's sonic scream, which Ock is indeed prepped against. Second, Phil can fly and no one else can. Third, Superior Spidey also has a ridiculous amount of tech, apparently mostly on his person.

Red's death spores are the only thing that I'm not sure about. Anyone want to provide details on how they work these days--distance, and amount of time they take to act?

#29 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

Don't know man, he has some top tier durability and pain management feats, I don't think he is too far behind with the battles/beatings he has survived. The spores, well, I'll have to think on that=P

Have to be honest though, not sure I am going to try too hard to debate this one...I need some sleep=)

I will throw out one half hearted thought...OR can still be taken at range. Phil doesn't need the defense if SpOck webs OR up, which can be handled at range and in large quantities if need be. Beyond that, I have nothing else until I think on it after some sleep=P

I do have to admit though, the death spores are going to be a pain to get around for anyone debating against OR. Regardless of my personal thoughts, I think the voting will end with Wolvie and OR winning, and I am just too tired to try and really fight the tide this time=)

#30 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to hear about that man, how'd you lose your legs?

I voted Wolverine/Omega Red. I just think Wolverine is the deciding factor. I don't think they'd be able to take him out.

#31 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (375 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think phil would want to be here. He will fly off the first chance he get. spOck, obviously because of his ego will want to make sure everyone knows of his superiority and take on both the weapon x people. Wolverine wont try to kill or hurt spOck but he wont hold back his punches. If not wrong he must want to hit him back for what happened in spOcks first run in with the X-Men (aveging spider-man 16)....
but i think omega red will cut in.
I think in the end it'll be Logan and Red standing... and continuing the fight.

#32 Edited by jashro44 (21829 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

Pete's death did bother me, but Slott did allow for Pete to show some actual growth in his run. I am still betting that Slott had a plan in mind from the beginning for Pete's eventual return, but the dark Spidey angle doesn't entirely do it for me, as I have plenty of dark heroes to read about, and the book is lacking the humor angle for me. I have kept up with events, but am only doing so with a mildly passing interest...

Yea I think his death in amazing spider-man 700 could have been better. I think it felt a bit rushed all though that could be because they had to include that story with black cat and the one with (old Peter?) for some reason. And I agree Slott did allow some growth to Peter that was good (hopefully he will keep his job at horizons lab when he returns).

And I also agree that the whole dark spider-man thing isn't necessary especially with Kaine and venom (all though both there books being cancelled now...). I guess that could probably be the reason why I am not interested....Because it just seems unnecessary?

#33 Edited by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@wyldsong said:

@jashro44 said:

Yea I think his death in amazing spider-man 700 could have been better. I think it felt a bit rushed all though that could be because they had to include that story with black cat and the one with (old Peter?) for some reason. And I agree Slott did allow some growth to Peter that was good (hopefully he will keep his job at horizons lab when he returns).

And I also agree that the whole dark spider-man thing isn't necessary especially with Kaine and venom (all though both there books being cancelled now...). I guess that could probably be the reason why I am not interested....Because it just seems unnecessary?

Yeah, it was kind of redundant when there were already 2 dark spider types in circulation.

#34 Posted by bizarrosplace (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Even with Superior Spider-man game planning, Hobgoblin(Phil) is way to inexperienced. He will drop first, then it is 2 on 1. Superior is still pretty bad-A but these are 2 Super-soldiers with kill first personalities. Both on their own a tough match-up for Spider-Ock. I have to say Otto gives them a fight but between training and healing factors he just would not win. My vote went to Wolvie and Red.

#35 Posted by Wolverine08 (42308 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Sorry to hear about that man, how'd you lose your legs?

I voted Wolverine/Omega Red. I just think Wolverine is the deciding factor. I don't think they'd be able to take him out.

Lost my legs in a leg press machine accident :D

#36 Edited by Mezmero (932 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Superior did beat up Wolverine pretty handedly in Avenging Spider-Man. I really don't know what standard equipment means for Spidey now. If you mean nano tracer bombs in his claws, spider-bots, and retractable spider limbs then that gives him a lot of options. Don't forget Ock has also buffed the impact webbing to do lethal damage. I doubt the hydraulic pressure of the limbs could match Omega Red's tentacles but is there a possibility to hack the nerve mechanisms? I'm sure Octavius could find some scientific solution to deal with the carbonadium tentacles.

Team Superior has a distinct range advantage and I don't think Logan and OR have the coordination to pull off a fastball. They also have the high ground against the other two for an aerial edge. Don't know if the webbing could hold either of Team Healing Factor for very long but perhaps long enough for a knockout blow to either one. Another thing worth noting is that Phil has the sonic scream to score a disable on any combatant but Superior (helmet sound filters). Killing is not on option for Team Superior so how long does an incap or knockout need to last for a victory? Obviously neither of the Healing Factor jerks are going to stay down for long. When the fight is over Superior Spidey TKOs Phil and flees the scene with the Hobgoblin in tow leaving the other two to fight it out for themselves when they awake.

#37 Edited by Shawnbaby (10774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: @wyldsong: From a Fan Perspective, It does seem unnecessary to have a third Dark Spider on the go. However, from an In-Universe perspective...those others are not Spider-Man. While I agree with your guys concerns about Superior not having that same humour angle that we expect from a Spider-Man Title, There are things I really really like about what Sltt is doing. He's completely changed how the Marvel Universe views Spider-Man and, when Pete does return, he's going to have to do some serious work to repair his image and relationships with other heroes. Since taking over on Amazing, Slott has really shook up the status quo that's been in place since Brand New Day. He did a lot to repair the damage done from that whole "One More Day" fiasco. Because of that I'm still willing to give Slott some leeway here with Otto wearing the spandex.

#38 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey team stay at range, they can take this. If they move in and brawl, they go down. Hard.

Sonics don't work on Wolverine ... he pushes through the pain, and his ear drums will heal. Omega Red is just as resilient (if not more so).

At range, they should be able to incapacitate Wolverine. Not sure how they'd take out Omega Red though ... anyone know of anything team SpOck might have in their arsenal to take down Omega Red? (Keeping in mind, their only chance of doing so is to stay at range and away from the death spores).

Also, not entirely sure what kind of range Red has with those Death Spores of his. He could give two craps about infecting Logan (who's healing factor can stave them off for a time regardless) or a whole city block if that's what was needed ...

#39 Edited by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

phil urich is too inexperienced, and a coward, he'll only try to escape and get killed by omega red in an attempt to fly away, meanwhile, wolverine will struggle against ock, until omega red comes back and they destroy the shit outta him

#40 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: @wyldsong: From a Fan Perspective, It does seem unnecessary to have a third Dark Spider on the go. However, from an In-Universe perspective...those others are not Spider-Man. While I agree with your guys concerns about Superior not having that same humour angle that we expect from a Spider-Man Title, There are things I really really like about what Sltt is doing. He's completely changed how the Marvel Universe views Spider-Man and, when Pete does return, he's going to have to do some serious work to repair his image and relationships with other heroes. Since taking over on Amazing, Slott has really shook up the status quo that's been in place since Brand New Day. He did a lot to repair the damage done from that whole "One More Day" fiasco. Because of that I'm still willing to give Slott some leeway here with Otto wearing the spandex.

Slott's treatment of Spidey prior to this is the only thing making me think there is indeed a master plan at work, and Pete's eventual return being part of that plan. Like I said, I don't hate the series, I am just not all that interested currently. I won't fault you or anyone else who currently enjoys the series though=)

#41 Posted by Shawnbaby (10774 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

Slott's treatment of Spidey prior to this is the only thing making me think there is indeed a master plan at work, and Pete's eventual return being part of that plan. Like I said, I don't hate the series, I am just not all that interested currently. I won't fault you or anyone else who currently enjoys the series though=)

Don't get me wrong....I miss the hell out of Peter. I'm like, Totally Gay for Peter. I've just seen a that a lot of people seem to forget what Spider-Man was like when Slott took over and the new heights he brought the character to. I'm anxious to see Peter Return...but I also want to see Otto's Big Plan come together. I think it's got potential to be the next "Shadowland".

#42 Posted by Wyldsong (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

@wyldsong said:

@shawnbaby said:

Don't get me wrong....I miss the hell out of Peter. I'm like, Totally Gay for Peter. I've just seen a that a lot of people seem to forget what Spider-Man was like when Slott took over and the new heights he brought the character to. I'm anxious to see Peter Return...but I also want to see Otto's Big Plan come together. I think it's got potential to be the next "Shadowland".

The new Goblin story coming up has some potential, we'll see if it sparks any interest=)

#43 Edited by kid Apollo (714 posts) - - Show Bio

wolverine and omega red for sure, even if they arent forced to help each other out Omega Red would probably take out Spidey and the goblin first because hed rather have more time with wolverine. likewise wolverine isnt a fan of the 'new' spidey and could take out hob goblin in a heartbeat. this fight should have been "out of wolverine and Omega red, who can take out Spidey and Hob Goblin the quickest?"

#44 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Spock could handle Wolvie or O-Red one on one, Hob-G is puts Spock at a disadvantage. Wolvie and O-Red take this.

#45 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior's ego will be the end of him.

#46 Posted by Lvenger (19965 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna need to wait for more arguments and feats for SpOck and Omega Red before I cast my vote. Though Urich's sonic scream does seem to be cancelled out by Logan's healing factor and Omega's physicality.

#47 Posted by IndieComicsFTW (3253 posts) - - Show Bio

Death Spores for the win.

Seriously there is nothing to me Spock or Goblin can do to rid Red or Wolverine fast enough before the Death Spores work their magic.

#48 Posted by specialmonkey7 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

"He's a pissed off Canadian immortal with an adamantium skeleton, healing factor, claws and the ability to show up in 20 different teams at the same time....He's a sadistic Russian experimental killing machine with tendrils, death pheromones and the worst ponytail this side of Billy Ray Cyrus at a 1995 state fair. Together, they are Canuckle-Red, the superior tag-team duo that will systematically smackdown the "inferior" Spider-man and "Hey, flaming swords worked for Azrael, right" Phil Urich Hobgoblin!"

Yeah, so, seriously, this isn't really a fight so much as a "slobberknocker". Wolverine's got the whole "healing factor" going for him along with the "stabby factor", making it near to impossible to keep the man down. Granted, he doesn't have the distance to keep hobgoblin at bay but I'm fairly certain that if Omega Red's tentacles can't reach him, his death pheromones will. There's little to no reason Wolvie and Red won't mop up the floor with these morts after a few dramatic rounds of duking it out. Of course, I think its safe to say as soon as the Kibosh has been dropped on Spidey and Hobs that Wolvie and Red would probably start fighting over something (maybe their hairstyles, maybe Soviet/Canadian relations). Whatever the case, I think the last man standing of all four is Logan...

#49 Posted by Experio (16041 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1

#50 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5058 posts) - - Show Bio

SpOck also has magnetic webbing which will incompacitate Wolvie rather quickly. Team 1 also has the range advantage. SpOck will quickly figure out how to deal with Omega Red from a safe distance. Team 1 ftw.