Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Moon Knight vs. Ra's al Ghul

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Moon Knight vs. Ra's al Ghul (287 votes)

Moon Knight 55%
Ra's al Ghul 39%
Too close to call 5%

Khonshu be praised! Moon Knight is our latest Character of the Month, so that means we're giving him a whole lot of love on the homepage. We'll have several features about the anti-hero, but every week we'll test his abilities as a combatant, too. Last week, Marc Spector bested Green Arrow, and this week, he's facing off against Ra's al Ghul. Will he be victorious yet again or will Batman's villain take him down? You have until Friday to think this one through, Viners. But before picking a winner, please be sure to read all of the rules below!

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either team).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 15 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Moon Knight has his current gear. No vehicles, obviously.
  • Ra's al Ghul is pre-52, in his prime, and has a sword of his choice.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to be selected as the Viner Argument of the Week. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • A Viner Argument for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future battle suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter! Want to continue celebrating Moon Knight? We've posted his Best Covers, he'll be the topic of tomorrow's Question of the Week, and his Best Battles will be posted on Friday.

• 
Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Moon knight. Ras isn't that impressive. He mostly just gets beat up by batman and was even overpowered by nightwing in sword fighting(his own game).

Ras will put up a fight though. He's given batman trouble on the occasion, and it's been stated his striking power is equal to Shiva(who has rad striking feats), so he can give Marc problems, he's just never pulled a win against someone Marc's level.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gracetrack

Moon Knight would have a difficult time with the likes of Green Arrow, and Ra's in a whole different league than GA. The man is one of Batman's all-time greatest foes for good reason. Having enhanced physicals (thank you, Lazarus Pit) and a genius level intellect, on top of being one of the greatest sword fighters, martial artists and tacticians in the DCU equals a formidable opponent in any universe. I predict a Ghul-ish win for Ra's... 7-8 times out of 10.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By tparks

This is a great battle and should make for a great discussion. First thing that comes to my head when I hear Moon Knight is fighting someone with a sword:

Taking down Swordsman in one page.
Taking down Swordsman in one page.

Avatar image for twix_right_side
Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twix_Right_Side

I can already see the arguments.

"Ras fights Batman. Batman> Moon Knight. Ras wins"

Anyway,I...change my mind. I am not sure. In a sword fight I think that Ras holds the skill advantage,but Moon Knight has an incredible pain tolerance,and in h2h I think that he can take Ras al Ghul.

. Reflexes are always important,and Moon Knight (if I'm remembering corrrectly) deflected bullets (in mid air) with his Crescent,and pulled out his crescent from behind his back and deflected a bullet in the time it took a mercenary to pull the trigger. However,I am not sure on Ras's feats other than fighting Batman multiple times and losing,so I can't say who beats who in the physical department (because I am not sure about what Ras can do).

Anyone has feats for Moon Knight? And/or Ras?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should post some scans for Ras.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Going for Moon Knight right now but I would like to see some good thought out Ras arguments

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moon knight. Ras isn't that impressive. He mostly just gets beat up by batman and was even overpowered by nightwing in sword fighting(his own game).

It's not impressive to fight nearly even with people who could beat Moon Knight?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser said:

It's not impressive to fight nearly even with people who could beat Moon Knight?

Ra's al Ghul is never even with Batman so much as he just doesn't get stomped.

Artoreus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am leaning on Ra's but am still undecided

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ClawFist

The man who dies all the time versus the man who survives all the time. Hmm...

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time in all these battles, I voted too close to call. If you held a gun to my head and told me to choose a winner, I'd go with Moon Knight, but I really do think this is even.

Both of them have proven to be able to beat the other very good fighters in their own universes, Moon Knight has a no holds barred attitude compared to Batman and I think this will help him out here.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Is that artist Mark Texeira? Didn't know he did any MK. Loves me some Tex!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how on the cover of Batman issue 224 Ras has Batmans whole costume in his hands like its a one piece yet Batman still has on his cowl, utility belt and pants still on wtf?

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying MK could take Ra's in hand to hand is like saying without weapons or claws MK could take Wolverine. Ra's, like Wolverine, has DECADES of fighting experience. No way in hell MK, even as experienced in the military and superheroics as he is, can take somebody like Ra's in close quarters. MK has the high pain tolerance, but Ra's has been physically enhanced by the Lazarus Pits. MK may come close but like I said in the other thread, Ra's would kick his ass and just assume he's an ally of Batman's with his ridiculous costume and gimmicky weaponry...

~KL~

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jashro44

Saying MK could take Ra's in hand to hand is like saying without weapons or claws MK could take Wolverine. Ra's, like Wolverine, has DECADES of fighting experience. No way in hell MK, even as experienced in the military and superheroics as he is, can take somebody like Ra's in close quarters. MK has the high pain tolerance, but Ra's has been physically enhanced by the Lazarus Pits. MK may come close but like I said in the other thread, Ra's would kick his ass and just assume he's an ally of Batman's with his ridiculous costume and gimmicky weaponry...

~KL~

Well to be fair his combat experience hasn't helped against batman. Experience isn't everything.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Is that artist Mark Texeira? Didn't know he did any MK. Loves me some Tex!

I believe it was David Finch.

Avatar image for luciustheeternal
LuciusTheEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moon Knight. I never seen Ras win battles in any media, and a mere peak human with a sword vs someone with all the toys MK has.... not seeing Ras winning.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 owie  Moderator

Hmmm. I need to know about R'as more. Hopefully someone posts scans.

But my general impression is that he's pretty damn good with a sword. While I am a big fan of Moonie, I think Batman is a tier or two above him in terms of skill. So anyone who can more or less stalemate Batman has a decent chance of beating him in H2H. But I'd need to see the details of those fights to really evaluate that.

There are a couple other things to consider. They're starting 15' apart, so Moon Knight wouldn't have a huge amount of time to throw crescents, although he has done so from close up in the past. But he could choose to move away, and attack from a distance, in which case R'as is in trouble since he has no way to answer that. I assume R'as has dodged some batarangs in the past though. The other question is, is it in character for Moonie to make distance between them, or would he charge in? On the one hand, since he doesn't know who R'as is, and he's going to see a shirtless guy with a sword, I assume he probably would move in an attack. But (as seen in his fight with Bullseye for example) he's not above making a tactical play and attacking from cover. But I think he wouldn't be likely to do that at the beginning.

When it comes to sword fighting, fighting R'as and Swordsman isn't exactly the same thing. Swordsman relies on his sword's energy capabilities and his sword fighting to win, but R'as has sword skills plus enhanced physicals, and from what I know of him is significantly more likely to fight in an agile way than Swordsman. Swordsman standing there and getting swept isn't R'as style. Moon Knight has fought and beaten plenty of guys with edged weapons before though, from Bushman to Deadpool to Black Knight--although granted he won that less by weapons mastery than tactics--and a bunch of lesser known guys. He beat a cluster of Hand ninjas, starting off unarmed. So it's a fighting situation he's familiar with.

The other thing to consider is weapon contrast in H2H. R'as has a single sword, which he will likely use both as a slashing and a stabbing weapon. Marc, on the other hand, has his bracers to block the sword, plus his truncheon, and potentially some random other H2H weapons. The truncheon is a blunt weapon, and can extend to staff length. So he can have a bit of a each advantage, and could use it to disarm or break R'as sword. Staff vs sword fighting can often give the advantage to the staff for these reasons, but it's not definitive. He has also used the truncheon to project a grappling hook on a line, and used it as a weapon, so that's another semi-distance attack he could use.

I don't think Moon Knight's current armor will provide a huge amount of protection against the sword. Nor will his pain resistance be all that important. Ra's isn't going to go for a death by a thousand cuts, he'll go to stab in the heart, cut the throat, or dismember. So a hit will potentially be a fight-ending hit; Marc's job is to dodge and parry until he can either bludgeon Ra's down, or bludgeon him in combination with the occasional thrown crescent to the hand or eye. Whether he can do that against R'as, I'm not sure.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@highaccuser said:

Ra's al Ghul is never even with Batman so much as he just doesn't get stomped.

Agreed.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jashro44

@luciustheeternal said:

Moon Knight. I never seen Ras win battles in any media, and a mere peak human with a sword vs someone with all the toys MK has.... not seeing Ras winning.

He did beat Bane all though it was a sword fight so it was playing to Ras strength. Could have gone differently if Bane decided to fight unarmed. All though then again you could argue Bane decided to use a sword because he would have had a better chance....Personally I think Bane should beat Ras but here are the scans:

The dialogue is pretty good too. "I have crossed swords with the courts of Louis XII through XVI. I have bested the master fencers of Heideilberg at fin de siecle. I have been the last man standing at cossack fighting circle. I have slain more men than you have had days on the planet!"

All though yea track record is not a favorable argument for Ras...

LuciusTheEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LuciusTheEternal

@jashro44: He is kinda of a Jobber. Sort of that position of "yeah he is a super serious threat, he just has a poor track record" jobber.

Kinda like Terrax lol.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: He is kinda of a Jobber. Sort of that position of "yeah he is a super serious threat, he just has a poor track record" jobber.

Kinda like Terrax lol.

Who Bane or Ras? Ras I can kind of see but Bane is usually very impressive.

LuciusTheEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LuciusTheEternal
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 owie  Moderator

@jashro44 said:

@luciustheeternal said:

He did beat Bane all though it was a sword fight so it was playing to Ras strength. Could have gone differently if Bane decided to fight unarmed. All though then again you could argue Bane decided to use a sword because he would have had a better chance....Personally I think Bane should beat Ras but here are the scans:

The dialogue is pretty good too. "I have crossed swords with the courts of Louis XII through XVI. I have bested the master fencers of Heideilberg at fin de siecle. I have been the last man standing at cossack fighting circle. I have slain more men than you have had days on the planet!"

All though yea track record is not a favorable argument for Ras...

Yeah, the scans I have just been looking up don't look all that great for Ra's. Looks like Batman has trounced him decisively a few times, although it's possible there are fights that have gone the opposite direction that I haven't found yet. And with Bane, while I agree he ought to have done better, it's not an exact parallel with Moon Knight, since Moon Knight has done more than "read a book about fencing," he's reasonably experienced with swords and against sword-fighters.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jashro44

@owie: True I was just posting a win for Ras since Lucias stated he never saw him win a fight in any media. Its at least something.

As for his fights against batman there was there fight in birth of the demon all though there were circumstances on both ends I believe. As I understand it batman was suffering from an illness and Ras needed another dip in the Lazarus pit and wasn't in his prime as a result. I believe that fight was pretty even. Not sure if there are other fights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ra's has actually beaten batman on a number of occasions, but most of the time batman beats him. He's inconsistent but does have the skill to win this.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Experio

Moon knight.

Can fair well in close combat long enough to realise he may be on the losing end if the battle, from then in he can keep his distance while striking with ranged weapons. If Ra's speed helps him evade or deflects them rapidly, Moon knight can instead aim at the lights leaving the battlefield to remain in complete darkness and proceed to attack within the shadows blind to Ra's eye.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting for Ra's here.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I flipped a coin; it came up Moon Knight

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By detective38

I dont even like moon knight be he wpuld take ras in a random encounter

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Come on now we had MK last week.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jashro44

@patrat18 said:

Well it is moon knights month...My guess is k4tzm4n is staying away from moon knights villains because no one knows anything about them.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@patrat18 said:

Well it is moon knights month...My guess is k4tzm4n is staying away from moon knights villains because no one knows anything about them.

Lol.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ras should take this.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@patrat18 said:

@jashro44 said:

@patrat18 said:

Lol.

Yup. Just look at the lack of activity when the question of the week was "Favorite Moon Knight villain." There are tons of characters I'd love to use, but we also need to think about traffic. So a Bushman, Black Spectre, or Zapata Brothers match really isn't an option, unfortunately.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Deathstroker

@patrat18: And how many times have we had Batman without people complaining?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never! Every Batman thread some one complains. We've never had a back to back Battle of the week for Batman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Would love to see someone drop a Ra's knowledge bomb here. Can't help but feel like he's being sold a bit short...

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLY CRAP Moon Knight has been getting some good vs this month, kudos CV!

So for this one I have to unfortunately give a slight edge to Ras al Ghul, with the sword of his choice and the amount of experience he has, I just feel that will be enough to put Marc down for the count. We've seen characters akin to Moon Knight such as Batman or even Bane try to take on Ras and fail, particularly in sword play. Now with that said, I have to give Moon Knight credit because we've seen him disarm people like nothing and hes one of the toughest normal humans in comics, so bringing him down even for Ras will be tough, but MK also likes to approach his foes more directly meaning he will be at an immediate disadvantage in my opinion. Ras wins 6/10 but Marc goes down swinging.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@leafx Thank you!!!

@patrat18 said:

@The_Deathstroker said:

Never! Every Batman thread some one complains. We've never had a back to back Battle of the week for Batman.

Moon Knight is getting just one month of attention. Batman gets love literally every single month. I'd say it's okay if Marc steals the spotlight for 3-4 weeks, especially since he was voted as the Character of the Month. ;)

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JMG

Moon Knight throws a handful of crescent darts into Ra's face then proceeds to punch the front of his skull until he is dead.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@leafx Thank you!!!

@patrat18 said:

@The_Deathstroker said:

Moon Knight is getting just one month of attention. Batman gets love literally every single month. I'd say it's okay if Marc steals the spotlight for 3-4 weeks, especially since he was voted as the Character of the Month. ;)

I never said i wanted a Batman battle of the month. The Deathstroker brought is up out of nowhere.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmg said:

Moon Knight throws a handful of crescent darts into Ra's face then proceeds to punch the front of his skull until he is dead.

Creative, but no.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: Pffft.... Don't try turning the blame on me.

*pulls out radio*

We've got another, boys!

"Another what, sir?"

A Batman Fanboy!

*SWAT comes in and drags you away*

;)

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*pulls out radio*

We've got another, boys!

"Another what, sir?"

A Batman Fanboy!

;)

Lmfaoo. It is you're fault dude, i hate Batman.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and for the actual battle.... Im gonna be honest.... I don't know nearly enough on either combatant to make any type of standpoint here. However, from what little I do know about the characters I'm gonna go ahead and say it's too close to call.

Sorry, K4tz. Didn't mean to derail your thread up there^

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: Liar! I'll never take the blame for this! Never! Go rot in you're anti-batbelt cell! >:D

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Oh and for the actual battle.... Im gonna be honest.... I don't know nearly enough on either combatant to make any type of standpoint here. However, from what little I do know about the characters I'm gonna go ahead and say it's too close to call.

Sorry, K4tz. Didn't mean to derail your thread up there^

S'okay!

@patrat18 said:

@The_Deathstroker said:

*pulls out radio*

We've got another, boys!

"Another what, sir?"

A Batman Fanboy!

;)

Lmfaoo. It is you're fault dude, i hate Batman.

Who's your favorite?